Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other frustrations.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other frustrations. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other frustr... - 12/26/2019 1:32:51 AM   
Grotius

I'm getting very frustrated trying to island-hop as the Allies, against the Axis AI on Intermediate, in the Pacific. If there's any sort of defending unit, I can never defeat it. For example, there's a sole enemy unit at Lae, low on supply, and I've taken Wewak and Port Moresby. I surround it with 3 corps and an HQ, I bomb it, I shore-bombard it (which is almost always useless), and the enemy unit refuses to die. Why?

Likewise, there's a single unit of bombers on the island north of Guadalcanal. I thought it would be trivial to land a single unit and attack and kill the bombers, or at least force them to operate out. But no, I do one unit of damage a turn, it heals back up, and so it controls the port while my unit slowly dies from attrition. What the heck? Do I have to land an HQ even to take an island that is not defended by any ground troops? My only successful approach has been to bypass anything that is defended by anything. I know this sometimes happened historically, but I have yet to defeat anything anywhere.

More generally, it's mid-1943, and I feel like I've made no progress anywhere except as the US (which has taken Algeria) since mid-1942. The China, Russia, Burma and Egypt fronts are all static, more or less where they were historically in 1942, except it's now a year later. I gather the AI gets the occasional free unit. Does this happen a lot? I'm generally getting frustrated that I can't make any forward progress.

Finally, I'm concerned how long this is all taking me. I'm willing to chalk it up as a learning game, but I've been playing 100 hours and I'm still only in 1943. Is this typical?

Post #: 1
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 12/26/2019 12:58:22 PM   
jebboy

I had the same frustrations in the beginning.

I'd say one key is leveling up Amphib Warfare as much as possible. Level 1 allows you to attack from the sea but damage is minimal, level 5 is likely to cause casualties. However, if you are using only one unit to attack it will probably not be enough to take the port. Therefore, the second point I'd make is attacking with multiple Amphibious units.

If I'm attacking amphib I gather carriers and multiple amphib units together using plane based attacks and let's say three amphib units. Carrier bombing isn't likely to injure the unit in port but it will drove morale down and make it easier for the amphib attacks to cause casualties or drive it back leaving the port undefended.

Also, I can't speak enough about how important long range assault amphib units are. They don't lose supply and allow maximum flexibility vis a vis invasions.

< Message edited by jebboy -- 12/26/2019 12:59:43 PM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 12/26/2019 3:44:35 PM   
Grotius

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I almost never use "regular" amphibious units, even for short-range attacks, unless it's completely unopposed. As for landing more than one unit, I tried that with these bombers, and I still can't defeat them. Maybe the second unit should have been an HQ, but I only have so many HQs.

I have researched the amphibious tech only to level 2, so maybe I'll try putting more into that.

I also don't know what to do to push the Germans back in the USSR. I've researched infantry weaons to 2. But the Germans keep coming and coming. I'm going to try an early D-Day to take pressure off, but as I've already mentioned, I'm struggling with the amphibious thing. I am making progress in North Africa, so maybe that will help.

(in reply to jebboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 12/26/2019 5:46:04 PM   
James Taylor

Besides the amphib segment already mentioned I'll submit that there needs to be a softening up period. Buy a couple of strategic bombers, get long range, and bring in your BBs, CAs, whatever and erode the enemies supply level.

Park the naval units adjacent to the ports, two to a port hex. Bomb the supply source down to zero, it will recover one every turn.

Get your carriers to Naval weaponry 2, they have a better chance to knock off an enemy strength point and if you can get your tactical/medium bombers in range then let them have at it.

It may take a few turns and be sure that when you land you'll have to recover your supply base so get an HQ dedicated to the task.

Get two groups going at the same time and leap frog them across the Pacific bringing the support staff with them.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 12/26/2019 7:48:51 PM   
Grotius

Thanks. Those all sound like good suggestions. Back at it now...

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 5
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 12/26/2019 8:49:56 PM   
otumfuo2

Also, be sure you are using special forces for the invasion. Regular units will lose supply after the landing and will be virtually useless, whereas SF will lose supply at the rate of only one step per turn.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 6
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 12/26/2019 11:11:35 PM   
Grotius

Ah, I didn't know that about special forces. I tend to use them anyway, but not always.

I've had a bit more success thanks to this thread. I've finally secured Lae, and I'm now on Java. I've also landed all over North Africa, and the Russians are doing a little better. Things are looking up!

(in reply to otumfuo2)
Post #: 7
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 1/21/2020 10:38:06 PM   
Pudge701

Thanks for this. I was having the same problem. Carriers and shore bombardment have minimal direct impact on the defending ground unit, but it sounds like that's not the objective. You're trying to beat down their supply and morale. I didn't even know about blockading the port, or to only use Special Forces.

I had landed an American army on Sardinia to deal with the garrison unit there, and the next turn I find he's at 0 supply, can't take out the garrison unit, and is doomed to die a slow, withering death. Further annoyance, he's going to die but I can't re-invade with a SF unit to try again, because he's occupying the sole other land hex on the island. Maybe I can disband him, but I'm not sure what the restrictions are for that.

No matter, this first game of WaW is a lost cause anyway, at intermediate against the AI in November '43. (Which is probably a good thing. If you crush the AI your first game, you aren't likely to play much more.) I'm losing in both China and Russia, and am about to lose both Murmansk convoy ports which should seal the Soviet's fate I assume. I'm almost holding them off at the gates of Moscow, and in the south short of Stalingrad, but I've been routed in the north.

I've had a couple half-assed invasions with the few units I had sitting around into Italy and Greece to try and take the heat off Russia, which helped, but both were eventually pushed back into the sea. I should have had one good invasion instead of two bad ones. The naval war went well pretty much everywhere though, a positive point.

No question here I guess, just rambling on about my current game, which the rest of you probably couldn't care less about. Thanks for listening, if you read this far.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 8
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 1/22/2020 10:32:47 PM   
Mercutio

You have to use special forces. Not only do they maintain supply, they can reinforce! Bombardment and CVs mostly reduce moral. Really you need to reduce the defending unit before air can do much (reduce entrenchment) strategic reduces supply. Medium bombers can also help. As noted, "normal" land forces are terrible at this as well as invading Europe and other areas as you have to have a supply port/city at minimum and usually an HQ as well. It is a major undertaking late war.

(in reply to Pudge701)
Post #: 9
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 1/23/2020 12:38:22 AM   
Pudge701

Thanks Mercutio!

(in reply to Mercutio)
Post #: 10
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 4/28/2020 3:51:19 PM   
SwampYankee68

Good stuff, great answers!

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to Pudge701)
Post #: 11
RE: Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other fr... - 4/28/2020 10:25:52 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

also for the rookies, you want two attacks outta a single SF (Special Forces), once while in the transport, then have a land space and pop another round on same turn. Obviously if there's land.

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Island-hopping: what am I doing wrong? And other frustrations. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI