Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Space 4x help..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Space 4x help.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 1:52:08 PM   
kingstuart444

Hi all
Been interested in a getting a space 4x game. Lots of options. I guess I would prefer a turn based game. Definitely NOT a shooter game or spaceship combat game. Something with management like a civ game.
At this point in my life I am a panzer corps, sc3 type game player. Nothing more than a solid intermediate game skill game.

Tons of choices on steam. Which way to go? They don’t list the skill level from what I can tell. I don’t mind an older game if the graphics are ok.
Some I am considering probably buy a few with the sale.
Moo2
Space empires 4
Star traders frontiers
Planet base
Interstellar space genesis
Gc2
Stellar monarch

Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 2:12:55 PM   
loki100

You migh5 find Endless Space worth a look, its turn based, basic gameplay is fairly easy. I like this and other games from the same designers

(in reply to kingstuart444)
Post #: 2
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 2:18:09 PM   
cpdeyoung

On sale here at Matrix there are Armada 2625 Supernova, and Polaris Sector.

These are also older games but I have had fun with both.

Sid Myer's Alpha Centauri is "very" Civ like having come from the same developers. Also old and inexpensive.

Chuck

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 3:07:14 PM   
Vasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingstuart

Hi all
Been interested in a getting a space 4x game. Lots of options. I guess I would prefer a turn based game. Definitely NOT a shooter game or spaceship combat game. Something with management like a civ game.
At this point in my life I am a panzer corps, sc3 type game player. Nothing more than a solid intermediate game skill game.

Tons of choices on steam. Which way to go? They don’t list the skill level from what I can tell. I don’t mind an older game if the graphics are ok.
Some I am considering probably buy a few with the sale.
Moo2
Space empires 4
Star traders frontiers
Planet base
Interstellar space genesis
Gc2
Stellar monarch

Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you in advance.

The most CIV´ish experience you will get from "Galactic Civilizations III" (+Crusader DLC is a must have).

Endless Space II, Stars in Shadow and Interstellar Space would give a close experience and the Master of Orion Reboot (from 2016) will fit as well I guess (but I didnt liked it). And stay away from the Stardrive series. Its a mess.

The mentioned "Stellar Monarch" would fit not so much in the classic 4X category but it is one of my favorite Space-Sims.
It is more Fleet Management and Fleet positioning combined with a Crusader Kings like Persona/Empire Management.
But the atmosphere is kinda unique.

"Star Traders Frontiers" does also not fit in your search formula but it is one of the best SciFi-Games made in the past years and a must-have for any Space-Nerd. It is a Adventure/Space Battle-Tactics and Crew Management RPG-mix with a vast and living galaxy but not a 4X.

Personally I dont like the classic approach in Space 4X games - I prefer games like Distant Worlds, Star Ruler 2, Polaris Sector, Stellaris or Stellar Monarch more. But I buy and play them all :-)

< Message edited by Vasquez -- 12/28/2019 10:39:27 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 3:35:20 PM   
springel

Alpha Centauri is very special for its lore, I loved playing it, but is planetary, not space. Very cheap on GoG. Deal with the aggression of Sister Miriam Godwinson, the greed of CEO Nwabudike Morgan, the militant green hippy Lady Deirdre Skye, or the other unforgettable characters Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, Academician Prokhor Zakharov, Colonel Corazon Santiago and Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Endless Space 1 is a very elegant simple space game, worth a couple of playthroughs.

I also had a lot of fun with Distant Worlds, but that is real time with pause, not turn based.

Didn't like Galactic Civilizations much.

(in reply to Vasquez)
Post #: 5
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 3:38:53 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: springel

Alpha Centauri is very special for its lore, I loved playing it, but is planetary, not space. Very cheap on GoG. Deal with the aggression of Sister Miriam Godwinson, the greed of CEO Nwabudike Morgan, the militant green hippy Lady Deirdre Skye, or the other unforgettable characters Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, Academician Prokhor Zakharov, Colonel Corazon Santiago and Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Endless Space 1 is a very elegant simple space game, worth a couple of playthroughs.

I also had a lot of fun with Distant Worlds, but that is real time with pause, not turn based.

+1 Alpha C. Far better than the remake, Civ Beyond Earth.

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 6
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 3:59:50 PM   
rommel222

Greetings kingstuart,
Distant Worlds Universe (on sale here) does it for me and awaiting Distant Worlds 2.
I would also recommend Endless Space, Armada 2526, Starships Unlimited and Polaris Sector.

Picked up Alpha Centauri w/expansion (Planetary Pack)from GOG (Good Old Games) a few years ago and like it a lot.
It is currently on sale at GOG for $1.49 (includes expansion):
https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 7
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 4:29:39 PM   
springel

By the way, start playing Alpha Centauri without the expansion (pure SMAC), because it is better balanced, and that way you meet all the best characters. If you have played it enough that you want more variety, then you can try SMAX, but anyway then you already had your money's worth of fun.

You don't need the 'unofficial patches', but PRACX is a great improvement for the UI on modern screens.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 8
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/27/2019 6:26:48 PM   
Lobster

I have Stellaris, Sins of a Solar Empire, Space Empires IV, Galactic Civ III, Endless Space and Distant Worlds. My favorites of the bunch are Stellaris and Distant Worlds. I also have the Alpha Centauri, Beyond Earth and Starships but I don't really think those are in the same class.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Post #: 9
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/28/2019 3:11:03 PM   
Kuokkanen

I vouch for Galactic Civilizations II. Take a look at game play videos on YouTube

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 10
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/29/2019 3:01:01 PM   
Rising-Sun

Stuart you might wanna take a look at predestination on steam, I got it and about to mess with it soon.

Here the link...
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153761942

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: springel

+1 Alpha C. Far better than the remake, Civ Beyond Earth.

I like the old Alpha Centauri better than Beyond Earth or whatever that is. I do enjoy their sound tracks, did a great job on it.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 12/29/2019 3:04:16 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/29/2019 7:27:28 PM   
RFalvo69

My favourite x4 in Real Time is Distant Worlds Universe, but among the turn-based I'll always choose Galactic Civilizations II (plus the expansions). It simply has the best AI I ever saw in a game - no matter the genre. It is possibly the only game that makes me forget that I'm playing not vs. a human player, but against an AI. The developers were never able to repeat this feat in any of their following titles.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/30/2019 4:41:25 AM   
kingstuart444

Great stuff everybody. Food for thought. Much appreciated!

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 13
RE: Space 4x help.. - 12/30/2019 7:44:00 AM   
RFalvo69

A follow up. "AI War: Fleet Command" also has a great AI (possibly better than even GalCiv II's one), and I love this game too (I have it with all the expansions). However, it is a "stylised" experience - for the lack of a better word. It lacks the lore, the planetary management, and the feeling to be one of the races in a living and thriving galaxy.

If, however, what you seek is a tense, almost thrilling challenge, then you could consider AI War too.

Edit: It must be said that it is a RTS, not a turn-based game, though.

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 12/30/2019 8:13:56 AM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Space 4x help.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote