Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/4/2020 10:30:55 PM   
Whiskey

I have an Inf. Rgt ready to move to Lunga but I much rather and really need them elsewhere at this moment as Lunga is already captured and secure.

Rather then select another objective and wait for the 100% prep time can I just drop them at the needed destination without changing it in the unit screen? And will they suffer penalties from such a move?

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/5/2020 12:01:42 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whiskey

I have an Inf. Rgt ready to move to Lunga but I much rather and really need them elsewhere at this moment as Lunga is already captured and secure.

Rather then select another objective and wait for the 100% prep time can I just drop them at the needed destination without changing it in the unit screen? And will they suffer penalties from such a move?

Thanks in advance

If you already own the other destination, no problem.
If you are the Japanese before April 1, 1942 - no problemo.
If the enemy owns the other objective and your assault is by amphib landing, expect at least 15% destroyed devices and up to 45% more disabled on landing. The remainder will have high fatigue and disruption. Morale will also be in the toilet.
If it is an atoll which requires a shock attack on landing, the unit will destroy itself against the weakest of defences.
If you can wait for several turns for the fatigue, disruption and disablements to reduce, you might be able to make a go of it. Keep in mind your raw Assault Value (AV) will be reduced during combat calculations because the unit has no prep for the target.

The only realistic way to handle this is to prep the unit well - certainly over 50 points of prep. Part of the challenge of the game is to ID units you want to start prepping for targets three months ahead of time and save up the PP to buy them and their leader out if needed. This is one of the many planning challenges in the game. You only need to get it "approximately right". No one has a crystal ball to precisely say what the situation will be in three months.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Whiskey)
Post #: 2
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/5/2020 1:29:08 AM   
dr.hal

Some nationality troops (I can't remember which nationality, but the US Marines come to mind) will transfer a certain level of points to a "new" location if that new location is selected as an objective. If you are prepped for objective "A" at 100% and switch to objective "B" then you will start counting from the 25% prep level. However most nationalities DON'T get this "freebee". Other players in the forum will chime in and tell you exactly which troops get this. I DO believe the Russians get this as well, if you ever get to play with them as an Allied player.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/5/2020 5:57:23 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Some nationality troops (I can't remember which nationality, but the US Marines come to mind) will transfer a certain level of points to a "new" location if that new location is selected as an objective. If you are prepped for objective "A" at 100% and switch to objective "B" then you will start counting from the 25% prep level. However most nationalities DON'T get this "freebee". Other players in the forum will chime in and tell you exactly which troops get this. I DO believe the Russians get this as well, if you ever get to play with them as an Allied player.

I get that for all nationalities. It requires that the unit have over the national non-combat experience level and the die roll success chance increases with higher The higher prep retention levels are only available with higher experience levels, but the die roll could yield 0 points to 33 points for even a high experience unit.
And if the unit's original prep level is below 100 but over 50 AND it passes the die roll for retention, the 25/33 point roll is pro-rated to the % prep the unit had before the switch.

Edit: Changed to correct some info per Alfred's more accurate post in the link below.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 1/5/2020 6:38:42 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/5/2020 6:24:39 AM   
Alfred

The correct position regarding prep is detailed in post #11 of this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4595667&mpage=1&key=&#4596745

Post #16 of this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3201300&mpage=1&key=strategic&#3203071

details strategic road/railway movement.

Alfred

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/5/2020 12:23:55 PM   
Whiskey

Thanks for the help. And I do own the base I want to move my troops too. Thanks for the links as well Alfred, much appreciated.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/5/2020 1:27:41 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I only really worry about prep if my lads are going somewhere hostile where such disruption will be a problem - most notably landing on a hostile location. I have a lot of my forces currently engaged with, or arriving to engage with, enemy at land bases where I am moving overland in one form or another. In this case most of them are not even prepping for the location of the fighting, but for other planned activity much further down the road. As an example some of my forces landed at Merak (owned by me since taking it with some prepped troops against limited opposition). The forces then are moving for the battle for Batavia having disembarked at Merak and over two or three days are in fine shape. Sure they will not fight as well against the defenders but Batavia has been isolated for about a year so its not likely to be a problem. They are much more likely to need to be on top form for their objective they are prepping for on the Home Islands (opsec) and so will be much better prepped for that by not getting sidetracked. Its not a simple black and white judgement.

Roger

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RogerJNeilson -- 1/5/2020 1:30:24 PM >

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Whiskey)
Post #: 7
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/7/2020 1:00:56 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Thanks in advance

If the enemy owns the other objective and your assault is by amphib landing, expect at least 15% destroyed devices and up to 45% more disabled on landing. The remainder will have high fatigue and disruption. Morale will also be in the toilet.
If it is an atoll which requires a shock attack on landing, the unit will destroy itself against the weakest of defences.
If you can wait for several turns for the fatigue, disruption and disablements to reduce, you might be able to make a go of it. Keep in mind your raw Assault Value (AV) will be reduced during combat calculations because the unit has no prep for the target.

The only realistic way to handle this is to prep the unit well - certainly over 50 points of prep. Part of the challenge of the game is to ID units you want to start prepping for targets three months ahead of time and save up the PP to buy them and their leader out if needed. This is one of the many planning challenges in the game. You only need to get it "approximately right". No one has a crystal ball to precisely say what the situation will be in three months.

AV is not reduced due to lack of preparation when attacking. Preparation is used solely for reducing casualties/disablements during landings and base defense.

To OP, I would recommend changing the target to wherever you intend to land now, unless you are Japan prior to 4/1/1942. You can land with less than 100% prep (often much less) without incurring massive penalties on the landing. If it is an atoll, I would not recommend landing unless you have 100% prep.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/7/2020 4:02:13 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance

AV is not reduced due to lack of preparation when attacking. Preparation is used solely for reducing casualties/disablements during landings and base defense.

Then how do you explain the Prep - modifier in Combat calculations?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/7/2020 9:30:03 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks in advance

Then how do you explain the Prep - modifier in Combat calculations?

It shows up only for defenders, never attackers.

Also, I should clarify: prep does mean something for attackers if you also have an HQ present and both the unit and the HQ are prepping for an attack on that base. See GA's thread in the war room for experimental evidence.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4211316&mpage=2&key=

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/7/2020 10:50:58 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

quote:

It shows up only for defenders, never attackers.

Prep does show for attackers when you include HQ in the batch, by allowing to utilize the HQ bonus.
See post 33 here https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4211316&mpage=2

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/7/2020 2:14:50 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The correct position regarding prep is detailed in post #11 of this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4595667&mpage=1&key=�

Post #16 of this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3201300&mpage=1&key=strategic�

details strategic road/railway movement.

Alfred

Rereading your posts on this topic, let alone all the others possible Alfred, reminds me just how amazingly complex this game really is. How does one keep tabs on all these "sidebars" let alone the main concepts of the game!!! I had read your previous posts on the subject but obviously much had slipped my mind. Just too many things to keep track of.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 12
RE: Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination - 1/7/2020 5:08:44 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Just too many things to keep track of.

Yeah, especially the older I get.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question Regarding Strat Move and Destination Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI