Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game starts but stops working

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game starts but stops working Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game starts but stops working - 12/20/2019 11:17:57 AM   
Natpost10

Hi
Sorry for bothering tech support. However, before I wrote my question i had read all related posts.

So, I just purchased the game DW, tried to start it, but it fails. I downloaded the game via Steam. I had downloaded several games via Steam and never had problems to start games.

When I press button Start, I can see the little window with the game name, I can see small messages inside this window as well, but after this window closing , I can see that Game tries to switch to another mode. At this stage game stops working. I start it again, same problem again.

I disabled movie play in autorun.ini file, however the game behavior did not change at all.
I dont have dump file

I use Mozilla , I set Windows Mediaplayer as default player.I updated video drivers as well.So, i am stuck

Could you please advise what can I do?
Thank you
Nat
Post #: 1
RE: Game starts but stops working - 12/20/2019 2:41:49 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

I just installed the game (from Steam) and also installed the Bacon mod with the RetreatUE on Windows 10 64bit on a Laptop with an Intel/Nvidia double graphics card, probably the most complicated setup to install any game on.

My problem was three things that needed to be done...

Step 1

in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe" folder there is a text file called "startup.ini". In this file change...

playmovie 1 to playmovie 0

Note: The reason why the movie does not start are most likely becasue you have a hybrid Intel/(Nvidia or ATI) as you do on many laptops, but even some dasktop computers have those. The media player will try to start the movie with the Intel CPU and the game runs with the proper GPU. This will not work. You can force the game to run with the Intel GPU but I would not recomend doing that, just disable the movie... ;)
You sadly can't force Windows 10 to run the Media Player with the proper GPU such as Nvidia or ATI

Step 2

Install DirectX9... the files does not come with the Steam installation so use this one...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Step 3

I had to start the game with Administrator mode for the Bacon mod to load, but I don't think I needed to do that with the standard game. Most likely because the Bacon mod throw a modal popup when the exe is run.

Note: This step should only be necessary for the Bacon mod...

I hope this help for you too...

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/13/2020 5:51:09 PM >

(in reply to Natpost10)
Post #: 2
RE: Game starts but stops working - 12/20/2019 11:31:49 PM   
Natpost10

Thank you, Jorgen!!!
Actually it started working when I replaced video 1 to video 0 in ini file. It is weird because I followed the recommendation of tech support to change ini file like this - 'video 1 instead of video 1

Best regards
Nat

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 3
RE: Game starts but stops working - 12/20/2019 11:57:11 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Natpost10

Thank you, Jorgen!!!
Actually it started working when I replaced video 1 to video 0 in ini file. It is weird because I followed the recommendation of tech support to change ini file like this - 'video 1 instead of video 1

Best regards
Nat

Your welcome... happy gaming!!! ;)

(in reply to Natpost10)
Post #: 4
RE: Game starts but stops working - 12/21/2019 12:02:48 AM   
Natpost10

I will! However It looks very complicated from the first site

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 5
RE: Game starts but stops working - 12/21/2019 1:06:50 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

I recomend starting with pre warp in the first few games... play a few dozen years restart a couple of times and it will ease you into the game.

You need allot of patience as it is a slow game where things happen gradually. Especially logistics and resource distribution are things that take time to adjust to changes in your infrastructure and when you build new colonies and so on.

There also are many Youtube let's play and tutorials, check them out.

(in reply to Natpost10)
Post #: 6
RE: Game starts but stops working - 12/21/2019 5:49:20 AM   
Natpost10

Thank you for your advise !!
First I need to learn several game's terms))Like pre warp stage to find out what it is)))
Anyway , I will start soon , thanks to Xmas holidays))
Best regards

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 7
RE: Game starts but stops working - 1/10/2020 1:49:47 AM   
balysears1

I have this issue, also. Purchased directly from Matrix. Per the above comments I went looking for a startup file and found several. Where I found "play move 1" I modified them one by one to "play movie 0". Still not working. And I just made coffee preparing to stay up all night with a new game....

Can anyone help?

(in reply to Natpost10)
Post #: 8
RE: Game starts but stops working - 1/11/2020 11:34:21 AM   
Bingeling

You got windows media player installed?

(in reply to balysears1)
Post #: 9
RE: Game starts but stops working - 1/13/2020 5:47:19 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: balysears1

I have this issue, also. Purchased directly from Matrix. Per the above comments I went looking for a startup file and found several. Where I found "play move 1" I modified them one by one to "play movie 0". Still not working. And I just made coffee preparing to stay up all night with a new game....

Can anyone help?

Did you perform the other steps in my guide?

It also should be "playmovie 0" not "play movie 0" if that is how you entered the value in the Startup.ini file, also make sure there is not a ' before the playmovie as well.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 1/13/2020 6:01:48 PM >

(in reply to balysears1)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game starts but stops working Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI