Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

need help understanding why amphib transport wont work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> need help understanding why amphib transport wont work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/16/2020 12:26:07 AM   
Marc1314

hi, im currently playing Operation Blue as the Soviets. I have some infantry divisions in the port of Eysk (x 112,y 106) and I want to move them north over the Azov Sea to the other side which is Axis controlled.
The manual says I should be able to move any unit as long as it isn't motorized or entrained and my units are neither of these so why wont they move?
Currently the Azov Sea has 750 amphibious movement points and when I select the units I want to move the landing hexes all turn yellow but my units wont budge.
If I could just get this to work I think I could put my opponent in serious trouble!
Post #: 1
RE: need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/16/2020 2:58:30 AM   
thedoctorking

What's the lift cost of the units you want to move?

Most Soviet divisions are going to be over 1000.

(in reply to Marc1314)
Post #: 2
RE: need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/16/2020 12:31:23 PM   
Telemecus

Axis never has any naval transport capacity over the Azov sea. So even if you can use it for supply you can never use it to transport units.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to Marc1314)
Post #: 3
RE: need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/16/2020 9:06:34 PM   
thedoctorking

The way the amphibious transport system works, you get a number of lift points based on your port capacity that you control on that sea. Even if you control all the ports on the Sea of Azov, you aren't going to have many transport points. Maybe one brigade if you're lucky.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 4
RE: need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/16/2020 9:15:00 PM   
Marc1314

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

What's the lift cost of the units you want to move?

Most Soviet divisions are going to be over 1000.

At the moment i'm trying to move two soviet rifle divisions .
This is the first time I've used the amphibious movement and I didn't know there was a different lift cost for each type of unit so i'll have a look through the manual and see if I can spot any info.

thanks

edit: I just noticed your second post there, are you saying that I might be able to move them over if I break them up into brigades?

< Message edited by Marc1314 -- 1/16/2020 9:18:01 PM >

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 5
RE: need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/16/2020 10:42:09 PM   
Marc1314

ok I think i've got it now.

When you say lift cost i'm assuming you're referring to the transport cost that is listed in the unit detail window?

The transport cost of my divisions is around 1500 each so It looks like they are far too big to use amphibious movement in this case.
I've just read that after '42 soviet infantry divisions cannot break down, so that explains why the breakdown button wasn't working as planned.

It looks like I will have to move brigades to the location from elsewhere, I've looked at one and it has a transport cost of about 500 so it should work with them.

thanks for helping me work it out guys, much appreciated.

(in reply to Marc1314)
Post #: 6
RE: need help understanding why amphib transport wont work - 1/19/2020 11:49:53 PM   
thedoctorking

Yeah, that's correct. You probably aren't going to be able to do much with amphibious operations in the Sea of Azov. I wonder about this from the historical point of view, since the Soviets did do an amphibious attack on Kerch during the war (but maybe they're counting that as the Black Sea?).

(in reply to Marc1314)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> need help understanding why amphib transport wont work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI