Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI CounterAttacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AI CounterAttacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI CounterAttacks - 1/28/2020 12:47:38 AM   
pcasey

If you move troops into a hex occupied by the AI, one of two things happens.

Option #1 --- the AI starts bombarding you, but otherwise doesn't do much

Option #2 --- the AI counterattacks and launches either a Deliberate of a Shock attack

In a lot of ways Option #2 is a better outcome for a human player as the AI tends to misjudge the balance of forces and can bleed itself white trying to dislodge your army, eventually making it easier to to the hex in question.

Its not particularly clear to me though under what circumstances the AI chooses Option #2.

Observationally, it *seems* to like to counter-attack when it perceives itself to have about a 3:1 AV advantage e.g. if I start drawing troops away from a deadlocked position, once my troop strength gets down to just about 1/3 of the AI's strength it tends to attack.

My questions here are:

1) Are other people seeing the same two factor AI behavior?
2) Does anybody know the actual "counterattack" conditions the AI operates under? I have a feeling its more sophisticated than just having a 3:1 advantage but I don't know the game well enough to parse out the details.
Post #: 1
RE: AI CounterAttacks - 1/28/2020 2:54:25 AM   
Ian R

No (to your #2), but if you run a small unit up to base hex the AI will send a big unit out to attack it.

This can be turned to your advantage if you time it so that your unit backs out before it is attacked, and your fighters and attack bombers catch the AI out in the open and bomb/strafe it at low level.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/28/2020 2:55:47 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 2
RE: AI CounterAttacks - 1/28/2020 3:52:26 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

No (to your #2), but if you run a small unit up to base hex the AI will send a big unit out to attack it.

This can be turned to your advantage if you time it so that your unit backs out before it is attacked, and your fighters and attack bombers catch the AI out in the open and bomb/strafe it at low level.

And your Tank Division arrives in the hex as the small unit leaves ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3
RE: AI CounterAttacks - 1/28/2020 10:34:07 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: pcasey
My questions here are:

1) Are other people seeing the same two factor AI behavior?
2) Does anybody know the actual "counterattack" conditions the AI operates under? I have a feeling its more sophisticated than just having a 3:1 advantage but I don't know the game well enough to parse out the details.

1) it is not "two factors", it is "the only two possible factors" - either attack or not attack.
2) I don't know the conditions, but I sometimes use the "keep withdrawing until they attack you" trick to soften up tough sieges. Not possible to capture AI San Francisco in 43+ or AI Tokyo in 44+ without one methinks. Only sometime though, cause AI seems to not be able to judge terrain advantage, support or previous results, and will eagerly impale itself on your fortified defenses and arty

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 1/28/2020 10:49:37 AM >

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 4
RE: AI CounterAttacks - 1/28/2020 11:44:24 AM   
Alfred

No one who knows anything about the code will reveal any details of the relevant algorithm.  Be very wary of any no dev who offers any details.  Suffice to say that more than one factor is taken into account.

Alfred

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: AI CounterAttacks - 1/29/2020 6:51:24 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

And your Tank Division arrives in the hex as the small unit leaves ...

"Tigerland".

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AI CounterAttacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI