Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are your strategies in Egypt ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> What are your strategies in Egypt ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/29/2020 7:31:02 PM   
boudi

In PBEM it's, from my opinion, very hard, if not impossible, to defend Egypt against axis forces, especially german tanks. By exemple they can kill the single UK army unit in a single turn.

What's your strategies for defending Egypt ?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/29/2020 7:38:50 PM   
jesperpehrson

Interested in this as well. Reading from the forum it seems like Egypt should be easy to defend.
From what I understand you either disrupt the transportation of DAK by reducing or blocking the ports or you build an early engineer to build some fortifications.

More experienced players than I can probably answer with more certainty.

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 2
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/29/2020 7:55:31 PM   
amandkm

You could save a bit of time and expense by sending the French engineers over. Let's face it, France is unlikely to last against a competent assault, and the fortification that they can build in France can easily be bypassed anyhow, but in Egypt, the could well construct two hexes of forts, enough to cover the gap between the Qatarra depression and the sea.

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 3
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/29/2020 8:45:08 PM   
HamburgerMeat

Step 1: don't let german U-boats enter the Mediterranean
-if you want to play it safe, buy an engineer
-buy a strategic bomber sometime after core research

Step 2: make a choke at the depression in W Egypt

Step 3: deny the use of the N African ports as long as possible without losing too many capital ships
-expect a paratrooper landing in Tunisia.
-do not lose battleships
-do not lose carriers

Step 3A: when/if germans land: use strategic bombers and battleships to lower the supply of towns leading up to Egypt. Get entrenched. Counterattack against low supply units. If you cant destroy a land unit in a turn, try damaging enemy HQs or destroying enemy bombers with your carriers, fighters, and bombers

Step 3B: before germans land/if germans never come: use your strategic bombers to reduce italian supply, then go on the offensive. Try to get a second HQ there around the time you get to Tobruk. Push far enough so your strategic bomber can hit the port at Tripoli.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 4
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/29/2020 8:53:40 PM   
4100xpb

Partially following Hamburger's steps, I was able to take all of North Africa my last game. This was rather unfortunate for Russia, but leaving that aside, Egypt went swimmingly.

Key thing for me was the naval blockade. I managed to wipe out some FSJ corps in France, so I was confident no Sealion was coming and sent more or less the full British fleet into the Med. The royal navy took a beating, but with no supply and no ability to transport more troops, the Italians went down fairly easily, especially once the British Armoured arrived.

Not sure if it helped or hindered, but I also sent the British Expeditionary force on *gasp* an expedition, taking Morocco and Tunisia. The timing was off so I didn't quite pull a pincer on Libya, but with that all of North Africa was in allied hands.

Of course I managed to completely bungle east Africa in the process, but that's another story.

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 5
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/30/2020 2:20:32 AM   
Helsingor

I will generally try to take Tobruk from the Italians in summer or fall of 1940. If you elect not to have India join the war in 1939, you get the BAI in Egypt. This gives you two armies on the spot. That plus support units and the strategic bomber (plus some blockading by the RN) will give you a far shot at taking Tobruk and possibly Benghazi before the DAK can intervene. And Tobruk can slow the Germans down quite a bit, just as it did IRL.

On the other hand, if the Germns take France quickly and send air and tanks to Libya in summer of 1940, it's VERY hard to stop them.

(in reply to 4100xpb)
Post #: 6
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 1/30/2020 7:14:20 PM   
boudi

Thanks for your answers.

(in reply to Helsingor)
Post #: 7
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 2/1/2020 10:51:02 AM   
Helsingor

Boudi,
I meant to add that I feel a bit sheepish offering you advice, given the state of our game, but I blame it all on my infatuation with a sea lion!

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 8
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 2/1/2020 12:38:33 PM   
boudi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helsingor

Boudi,
I meant to add that I feel a bit sheepish offering you advice, given the state of our game, but I blame it all on my infatuation with a sea lion!

You was near a brillant victory.

(in reply to Helsingor)
Post #: 9
RE: What are your strategies in Egypt ? - 2/3/2020 2:43:13 AM   
Helsingor

Ah yes, high tide in Scotland. I remember it well.

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> What are your strategies in Egypt ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI