Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Italy surrenders to paras !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/3/2020 2:19:43 PM   
PanzerMike

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emporer
This is the a sitiation which I have difficulties in every wargames where paras jumping around the map soley by them self. Paratroopers was allmost allwas used as part of a ground offensives to support it. So to solve this issue with paras, they should only be used on hexes adjacent to own ground forces.

There were exceptions ofcourse. Think Crete for example. But even Market Garden on Warplan scale means the furthest paradrop would have been two or three hexes away from the nearest land unit. So allowing adjacent hexes for paradrop only, would be too restrictive IMHO.

(in reply to Emporer)
Post #: 31
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/4/2020 11:54:45 AM   
Emporer

quote:

ORIGINAL: PanzerMike

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emporer
This is the a sitiation which I have difficulties in every wargames where paras jumping around the map soley by them self. Paratroopers was allmost allwas used as part of a ground offensives to support it. So to solve this issue with paras, they should only be used on hexes adjacent to own ground forces.

There were exceptions ofcourse. Think Crete for example. But even Market Garden on Warplan scale means the furthest paradrop would have been two or three hexes away from the nearest land unit. So allowing adjacent hexes for paradrop only, would be too restrictive IMHO.

Hi

Market Garden is a perfect example how the use of paratroopers was used. In the same time the 1st para is dropped next to your ground unit this creates an incitament to drop the next one 2 hexes from the ground unit because when a paratroopers lands it became a ground unit. This means if you have 3 paras you should be able to drop last paratrooper unit 3 hexes away from your ground units.
To limit this is far more realistic use of paras also and get rid of this unrealstic use of paratroopers.
Even at Crete the paras was not the only troops that where to attack the island, there was also a sea invasion with 2.300 soldier ongoing but it was driven back due to naval forces from the allied in the area, (say in gameterms it was an interception).
So i cant see any problem with this, and this is by far better solution than having paras dropping everywhere.

Cheers
Captain Jack

< Message edited by Emporer -- 2/4/2020 11:56:45 AM >

(in reply to PanzerMike)
Post #: 32
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/4/2020 1:12:07 PM   
PanzerMike

If the hex next to your ground unit is occupied by an enemy unit, you can't drop a parachute division there. So the carpet can't be rolled out.

British XXX corps had opposing enemy units. So no paradrops there. No paradrops there, means no paradrop at Nijmegen and Arnhem.

In order for what you propose to work, the game should allow paradrops on enemy units.

< Message edited by PanzerMike -- 2/4/2020 1:14:01 PM >

(in reply to Emporer)
Post #: 33
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/4/2020 8:08:45 PM   
freeboy

Italians in an ai game as axis surrendered to a rougue brit unit fleeing france...
Allies where bottled up in North africa and southern france. Italy was whole and surrendered when unit took one northern city..
hummm maybe the surrendering rules need to be addressed ?

(in reply to Emporer)
Post #: 34
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/9/2020 4:30:05 AM   
rowdied1

I have played 3 games now and each time US enters war Italy sues for peace. Makes no difference what I do they always surrender.
Why?
I think there is a bug somewhere as the games before 1.05 patch I could make it to 1943 at least.
I cannot be the only one to experience this, am I?
Makes it real hard to like the game now

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 35
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/9/2020 7:13:13 AM   
Meteor2

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Italians in an ai game as axis surrendered to a rougue brit unit fleeing france...
Allies where bottled up in North africa and southern france. Italy was whole and surrendered when unit took one northern city..

If that's the case (and I have no doubts, that you are right), something has to be done by Alvaro.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/9/2020 3:53:59 PM   
AlvaroSousa

What was the state of Italy at the time? Were they clear of enemy troops? Were they invaded by the Brits?

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 37
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/9/2020 8:28:52 PM   
rowdied1

3 different states.

1st time, partisans from Switzerland occupied Milan.

2nd time, US entered war and about 2 turns later they surrendered. at the time, Italy controlled all of the Africa from the Pacific right up to Alexandra. They controlled Crete and Malta. Germans controlled all of mainland Europe up and not yet invaded England or Russia. this happened into 1942 around spring time. Italy had over 500 production points and over 250 oil reserves. I was preparing to take Alexandra and also invade Russia.

3rd time was just this week. Germany invaded England and about to take it over, Italy has Africa from Pacific to Egypt. morale was at 48 at end of November when US declared war. Oil reserves at zero and 440 stockpiled production. Morale went past breaking point to 56. Next turn they will surrender with no reason to. No-one has invaded Italy, I have almost all major cities garrisoned.

Up to date with 1.05.

This never happened before until late in the war after summer of 44 around there they surrendered.

thanks!!

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 38
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/9/2020 10:42:42 PM   
AlvaroSousa

What was Italy's morale and morale surrender number when it happened?

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to rowdied1)
Post #: 39
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/10/2020 6:29:37 AM   
rowdied1

The morale before surrender was 48 and the breaking point was 33. After US declared war about 2 turns later the breaking point was 56 but morale was still 48. They then sued for peace.
thanks!

Post #: 40
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/10/2020 3:38:20 PM   
AlvaroSousa

But you had some units occupying Italian cities from the Swiss?

I can add a requirement that all of Africa needs to be Allied which seems prudent.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to rowdied1)
Post #: 41
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/10/2020 7:59:47 PM   
rowdied1

No, there were no partisans nor swiss anywhere nearby.

I can send you the save file later if you like?

I ran it again from the save point before they capitulated and they did it again in about 4-5 turns. US entered war and Italy with no warning other than Italy sends out peace feelers during ai turn do you even have an idea this might happen. When the ai turn ends you have lost Italy.

thanks

I do have diplomacy on and have for the other times Italy capitulated.

< Message edited by rowdied1 -- 2/10/2020 8:03:45 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/10/2020 8:41:55 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I PMed you

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to rowdied1)
Post #: 43
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/11/2020 3:04:36 AM   
freeboy

Italy was whole one brit unit in north they held territory in NA and war was being won

Post #: 44
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/11/2020 3:04:55 AM   
freeboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meteor2

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

If that's the case (and I have no doubts, that you are right), something has to be done by Alvaro.

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 45
RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! - 2/11/2020 3:45:30 AM   
DMcCooey206

But, I believe it Surrenders immediately? So Rover line backer or Counter attack is Moot? Or am I missing something?

This does bring up a "problem" that I hope Alvaro can correct.. the gamey problem of the soak off mission. As the Defendant has testified, he simply Strategic bombed nearby to insure his PARA's could land Interception free. The same problem exists upon pre-naval invasions that are reliant upon Good LBA's defending. I believe this issue should be tackled next. I know it's going to be a Significant correction, coding wise. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who dislikes it?

I guess one more simple fix is to Not limit passive interceptions to 2 missions. Allow the possibility of more so that the Attacker can't simply rely on 2 cheap soak offs. The the Attacker can't be certain, or that he has to really establish local air superiority.

On the plus side, I'm now excited to explore the Para sleaze again

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: Italy surrenders to paras ! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI