Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just bought the game, a few questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Just bought the game, a few questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just bought the game, a few questions - 2/9/2020 9:11:02 AM   
KarlXII

So I am trying to learn the game by reading the manual, watch youtube and just play it now for a few hours.

I have to say the underlying game mechanics are not easy to grasp.

1) The production menu: How do I know how much my troops will need for the middle panel of Reinforcement/Upgrade pool ? I have no clue what value I should put into there because I cannot see the effects or needs of it anywhere. Any help ? What happens if I put too much into it ?

2) Since I started the game I have defeated Poland, Belgium and Netherlands and are now invading northern france. I have seen a single counterattack in the whole game yet. Could that really be true and why is the A.I so passive ?

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Post #: 1
RE: Just bought the game, a few questions - 2/9/2020 1:57:52 PM   
battlevonwar

1. It will generally take everything you put in that can be used I've noticed and the rest is back in the bank. You can roughly calculate missing HP points and Upgrades 10% per level I think it is?

2. AI hmmm, it's a great learning tool but a human and we got a lot of first timers are the best to actually play against cause AI can only go so far.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 2
RE: Just bought the game, a few questions - 2/9/2020 2:21:32 PM   
KarlXII

quote:

ORIGINAL: battlevonwar

1. It will generally take everything you put in that can be used I've noticed and the rest is back in the bank. You can roughly calculate missing HP points and Upgrades 10% per level I think it is?

2. AI hmmm, it's a great learning tool but a human and we got a lot of first timers are the best to actually play against cause AI can only go so far.

1. Ok, so what is the drawback of having too much put into reinforcement\upgrade if I get back my unused points into the stockpile next turn ?

2. The latest Strategic Command War in Europe has excellent A.I so that is no excuse. I just won over France and not a single counterattack was conducted despite France having quite a lot of forces. For me there is something wrong with such an outcome.

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 3
RE: Just bought the game, a few questions - 2/9/2020 2:35:29 PM   
battlevonwar

KarlXII,

Drawback is if you don't want to upgrade units or reinforce them. You can manually control it via HQs or units individually.

I played SC1/2/3 and I don't recall the AI in that game ever beat me from 2003 till 2017(not even close). In fact I don't recall it anymore challenging than this AI. The only AI I found incredible was Deity Mode in Civ5. Personally if your experiences differ that's personal.

This isn't a title I'd buy for it's AI nor SC. What game was that released about 3 or 4 years ago Barbarossa one with hexagons... It had an incredible AI I think I was never more challenged than that AI on it's hardest level if that's what you seek.

This is just a "me" thing but AI just fails me on so many levels. Although I learned this game with a playthrough with the AI and boy I learned so much.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 4
RE: Just bought the game, a few questions - 2/9/2020 3:02:19 PM   
AlvaroSousa

If you are a very good player no A.I. will be challenging. I have always beat all the SC A.I.s the 1st time around on the base level.

If you want a challenge put it on optimal supply and veteran. Currently I have been banging out bugs. I am running 3 games on the serve to test balance. Next will be 2 A.I. games to find improvements. SC has been around for 14 years so they have plenty of time to improve the A.I.... I helped some with that also. WarPlan is in it's first year. For a first year game the A.I. is pretty good.

A game like this is open ended so there are lots of things that are difficult to program.

A game with a linear front with one opponent with a fixed set of objectives is FAR easier to program. If you ever played SC2 Assault on Communism you will see what I mean. I designed that game and the A.I. scripting. I had people on the forums complaining the A.I. was too hard. But that is a very easy game to program A.I. for.

The shining star in WarPlan is multiplayer. There the games get interesting.

Your difficulty with the game is due to it being done very different than most games. Taking a true wargame approach that isn't as complicated as War in the East.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 5
RE: Just bought the game, a few questions - 2/9/2020 3:24:20 PM   
KarlXII

Thanks for all replies.

Regarding the reinforcement\upgrade panel it would really help to get an information about how much was used the previous turn or an mark on a unbit eligigble for reinforcements but which did not recieve any because lack thereof. A suggestion for improvement.

Regarding the A.I I cannot really judge it but was surprised the A.I never did any attack on me for the 10 turns the western campaign was fought. I am wondering if that was just luck or if other players experience the same behavious ? However, my attack started already in december 1939 and I had pretty much bat weather all the way until june 1940. Perhaps the A.I realised the heavy penalties for attacking while I didn't :-)

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Just bought the game, a few questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI