Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forum Platform

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Forum Platform Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 2:23:42 AM   
Vonrich

Does anyone else feel like this forum platform could use an update? While it's cool to feel like I'm back in the early 2000s again, there are some important improvements that could be made.

- Number one on my list is the file size that's permitted for upload. With the increase in screen resolution, screenshots are often nearly unreadable due to the 200 kb file size limit. The minimum size needs to be updated to at least 300 kb.
- File type support should include png.
- The login mechanism is clunky with the required old school captcha at every login and frequent automatic logouts. I don't mind the old school...I'm sick of identifying street lights for Google.
- The placement of the login link isn't intuitive for new users. The link could stay, but a login button at the top right of the screen is standard practice.
- A search bar should be added to the top of the postings list instead of only at the very bottom.
- Users should be able to automatically subscribe to any thread they start.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head that make this forum feel dated. Is there anything you'd change? I really like the games that Matrix is putting out and want to see Matrix thrive for a long time. A total overhaul of the platform may turn veteran members off, and that's not what I'd like to see happen. However, I think some efforts to modernization could go a long way to improving the experience for new users without diminishing the experience of veteran users.

Platform transitions or upgrades can be costly but, if it isn't just me feeling this way, maybe it's worth it. I'd be willing to donate a bit to the effort if cost is the limiting factor. Am I alone in this? Maybe.
Post #: 1
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 2:44:06 AM   
operating

No

(in reply to Vonrich)
Post #: 2
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 3:02:37 AM   
Vonrich

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

No

No I'm not alone or no you don't think that the file size limit should be updated to allow clear images of gameplay?

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 3
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 3:17:43 AM   
operating

No is No it is not yes, it is not maybe, No is No.

(in reply to Vonrich)
Post #: 4
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 4:18:16 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

No is No it is not yes, it is not maybe, No is No.

Okay Operating you confused me. Which is it. But I must reveal I'm easily confused.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 5
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 7:01:56 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vonrich

Does anyone else feel like this forum platform could use an update? While it's cool to feel like I'm back in the early 2000s again, there are some important improvements that could be made.

- Number one on my list is the file size that's permitted for upload. With the increase in screen resolution, screenshots are often nearly unreadable due to the 200 kb file size limit. The minimum size needs to be updated to at least 300 kb.
- The login mechanism is clunky with the required old school captcha at every login and frequent automatic logouts. I don't mind the old school...I'm sick of identifying street lights for Google.
- The placement of the login link isn't intuitive for new users. The link could stay, but a login button at the top right of the screen is standard practice.
- A search bar should be added to the top of the postings list instead of only at the very bottom.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head that make this forum feel dated. Is there anything you'd change? I really like the games that Matrix is putting out and want to see Matrix thrive for a long time. A total overhaul of the platform may turn veteran members off, and that's not what I'd like to see happen. However, I think some efforts to modernization could go a long way to improving the experience for new users without diminishing the experience of veteran users.

Platform transitions or upgrades can be costly but, if it isn't just me feeling this way, maybe it's worth it. I'd be willing to donate a bit to the effort if cost is the limiting factor. Am I alone in this? Maybe.

Vonrich, I think you're very right in what you say. Isn't that what we have now is wrong but, without any doubt, your proposals will improve this platform.

Thank you for proposing them.

Semper fidelis

(in reply to Vonrich)
Post #: 6
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 8:13:45 PM   
RangerJoe

The only people who like change, demand that they get it, and cry if they don't get it (without getting into politics) are babies. While some people might like the change, some people may not. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 7
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 9:07:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vonrich

Over the years Matrix has made it abundantly clear that the forum is rickety, but there is unlikely to be major reformatting / renovation / refurbishment due to the expense. So we have what we have. I'm OK with it.

However, if a learned representative of Matrix was to come forward and say that they are considering making some changes, I'm sure there would be numerous constructive comments from long-time users. To be honest, I would look to the long-time users for their input and weigh it before I would weigh a laundry list of fixes from someone that has been on the site for three months. Not that your input is invalid, it's just that it's not deep or experienced to weigh heavily, IMO.

So rather than go through your line itemized suggestions, I'll volunteer my number one fix: the search function. It doesn't work at all. It would make the forum much more usable if I could dig up old threads on some gameplay aspect of War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition.

(in reply to Vonrich)
Post #: 8
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 10:47:07 PM   
MrRoadrunner

Well said CB!

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Forum Platform - 2/21/2020 10:49:39 PM   
demyansk

Agree with the search function and a larger upload size

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 10
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 12:12:53 AM   
IslandInland

I feel the main Matrix site is worse than it was before the "update". It seems much more dated now.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 11
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 2:35:23 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
The only people who like change, demand that they get it, and cry if they don't get it (without getting into politics) are babies. While some people might like the change, some people may not. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

And if it is broke?

I have two serious issues with this forum, both of which I have only ever encountered on this forum:
1) Matrix has dozens and dozens of games, and the list of games is constantly changing due to new additions. I like to keep up with about ten of them. Rather than hunting and pecking through all games, I subscribe to the games I follow, which means I only have to look at them. So far, so good. But when you subscribe to a forum--unlike every other forum I've ever been on--there is no way to turn off e-mail notifications for EVERY SINGLE NEW THREAD in those forums. So I am constantly spammed by a couple of dozen e-mails every day. Why can't I turn them off?

2) The 502 Gateway errors have gotten every old. Again, only on this forum, only since the forum "upgrade". To get rid of the 502 errors, I have to clear my Matrix cookies...just now, there were 35 Matrix cookies. Really?!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 3:34:50 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

And if it is broke?

I have two serious issues with this forum, both of which I have only ever encountered on this forum:
1) Matrix has dozens and dozens of games, and the list of games is constantly changing due to new additions. I like to keep up with about ten of them. Rather than hunting and pecking through all games, I subscribe to the games I follow, which means I only have to look at them. So far, so good. But when you subscribe to a forum--unlike every other forum I've ever been on--there is no way to turn off e-mail notifications for EVERY SINGLE NEW THREAD in those forums. So I am constantly spammed by a couple of dozen e-mails every day. Why can't I turn them off?

2) The 502 Gateway errors have gotten every old. Again, only on this forum, only since the forum "upgrade". To get rid of the 502 errors, I have to clear my Matrix cookies...just now, there were 35 Matrix cookies. Really?!

Then get a big glass of milk and then take care of the cookies.

Really, part of it could be your browser and/or extensions. Part of it could be your ISP.

https://www.lifewire.com/502-bad-gateway-error-explained-2622939

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/502-bad-gateway

I currently use a stable version of Firefox with Noscript allowing only those javascripts that I choose.

― Julia Child

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 13
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 8:58:26 AM   
Simulacra53

Forum software isn’t the issue, the real challenge is data migration.
Here’s where it might be difficult to find an off the shelf solution that enables you to easily migrate your data from the old to the new forum package, in addition you may want site integration etc.

Once you do not have those off shelve solutions you have to enable the migration yourself.
That may not be very cost effective.

OTOH, you are just postponing the inevitable as LCM will become more difficult, platform support, security etc.

I’m running an old version of vBulletin and every year that passes makes a migration more difficult - but like Matrix, I have chosen this route and now I have to stick with it.

That said, the current Matrix forum is still functional, it is however not as dynamic as the latest forum software with their dynamic GUIs, social media integration etc.

...but today we are seeing PC2 running on Unreal, one day we’ll see a new forum as well.

Not something I’ll lose any sleep over.

< Message edited by Simulacra53 -- 2/22/2020 9:00:30 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 2:59:47 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53

Forum software isn’t the issue, the real challenge is data migration.
Here’s where it might be difficult to find an off the shelf solution that enables you to easily migrate your data from the old to the new forum package, in addition you may want site integration etc.

Once you do not have those off shelve solutions you have to enable the migration yourself.
That may not be very cost effective.

OTOH, you are just postponing the inevitable as LCM will become more difficult, platform support, security etc.

I’m running an old version of vBulletin and every year that passes makes a migration more difficult - but like Matrix, I have chosen this route and now I have to stick with it.

That said, the current Matrix forum is still functional, it is however not as dynamic as the latest forum software with their dynamic GUIs, social media integration etc.

...but today we are seeing PC2 running on Unreal, one day we’ll see a new forum as well.

Not something I’ll lose any sleep over.

I agree. Matrix may have to hire a pricey consultant if and when they decide to migrate.

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 15
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 4:19:01 PM   
Karri

quote:

So...explain why you are here in the first place then, it's not like computers, internet, video games and this forum was invented 10 000 years ago. Using this forum itself is a change, playing video games as opposed to board games is a change, and so forth. Which makes you a baby?

The forum software could use an update.

< Message edited by Karri -- 2/22/2020 4:21:03 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 7:13:34 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

So...explain why you are here in the first place then, it's not like computers, internet, video games and this forum was invented 10 000 years ago. Using this forum itself is a change, playing video games as opposed to board games is a change, and so forth. Which makes you a baby?

The forum software could use an update.

Do not insult me. The things that you mention were not invented 10,000 years ago.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 17
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 8:06:17 PM   
OldSarge

Iain mentioned on the Slitherine forum that there are plans to eventually update the Matrix forum to the same PHPBB used to drive that forum. Whether that is a good or bad thing depends upon how well you like that forum.

Slitherine Thread

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 18
RE: Forum Platform - 2/22/2020 11:22:14 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

Iain mentioned on the Slitherine forum that there are plans to eventually update the Matrix forum to the same PHPBB used to drive that forum. Whether that is a good or bad thing depends upon how well you like that forum.

Slitherine Thread

Thanks Old, I checked it out and gave my two cents in, personally I prefer the format of this forums but I do understand the code DOES NEED updating.

Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 19
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 12:27:05 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

+1 to this (original poster).

I opened a similiar thread a while ago
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4674740

Some of my wishes:
quote:

Is there an update planned for the forum? It is good and works fine and I like the simple style, but some new features would be really nice:

1) The possibility to tag/include shout outs to other people in forum posts.
2) Drag&drop of files and picture attachements. E.g. simply right click copy of some image and then right click inser of the picture.
3) More than one attachement per post.
4) Much bigger PM storage.
5) More tolerance for time-outs. It is really annoying when you type a longer post and get timed-out and lose your text.

That would increase the quality of life considerably for all forumnites. It would especially help with AAR making, and at least to me AARs are what stirs up interest in a new game before I buy it.

Frankly I cant understand the reluctance against improvememts by some in this thread.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/23/2020 12:32:30 AM >

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 20
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 7:22:44 AM   
operating

I had/have reservations on the OP post for it did imply about the costs to the site owner. From what I can tell the OP possibly owns "one game" from the Matrix store, yet wants Matrix to upend it's whole forum just to satisfy the OP's whims. That bothered me. OK other seasoned members have their gripes too, but none of us "pay" for what we/they are asking..!! Personally I'd rather Matrix invest in research and development of games we all would love to see.. Personally I have no problems with uploading and downloading stuff here even after the latest upgrade and have noticed that Matrix bends over backwards to help others with their site issues that don't require a site upheaval for the rest of us. I read the geek talk, a lot of which is apples and oranges to me, however I do know from past upgrades that just about every server Matrix has is affected, then in turn causes negative issues that seem to take forever to get resolved and I'd hate to see/read about it all over again. Thus I prefer status quo. Peace

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 21
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 9:17:29 PM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

I don't know if it was you or if you copied it from another thread, but I'm pretty sure I've read that response on this forum before. Hmm...

And this forum definitely needs work

< Message edited by Rebel Yell -- 2/23/2020 9:20:02 PM >

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 22
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 9:37:19 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

quote:

I don't know if it was you or if you copied it from another thread, but I'm pretty sure I've read that response on this forum before. Hmm...

And this forum definitely needs work

Probably me.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 23
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 9:37:28 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

@operating: Costs are a valid point but see it this way. Game developement for niches is also about building, keeping and engaging with the community. AARs, multiplayer forum games, guides and a generally alive community help keeping people with the hobby and the company. So updating a forum is an infrastructure investment paying off over time if done right.

I have written quite a number of posts and guides and AARs in this forum (see my signature) and can tell from experience that producing these is made more complicated than it needs to be, and this can cause one to migrate somewhere else or not post at all.

Also, the amount of games the OP owns or not owns has little to do with the validity of his points.

For more anecdotical evidence, I had to do allot of bug reports for WitE 1/2 testing. With modern forums I would copy the screenshot and insert it in my post and be done in a few seconds. With this forum I have to save the image, then click a few times on buttons to upload, and if I want multiple images per post I need to waste even more of my time. It can become quite demotivating after a while.

"I don't know if it was you or if you copied it from another thread, but I'm pretty sure I've read that response on this forum before."
It is the same response also written in my thread about the same topic I linked above.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/23/2020 9:39:22 PM >

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 24
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 10:00:50 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

"I don't know if it was you or if you copied it from another thread, but I'm pretty sure I've read that response on this forum before."
It is the same response also written in my thread about the same topic I linked above.

No

Post #: 25
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 10:27:27 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Here is the link to the same comment in the old thread, if you don't believe me: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4674793
Frankly I find this type of one-liner replies somewhat rude, both to the OP and me (disagreeing in itself ofc completely fine).

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 2/23/2020 10:40:07 PM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 26
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 10:38:32 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Here is the link to the same comment in the old thread, if you don't believe me: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4674793
Frankly I find this type of one-liner comments somewhat rude.

Sorry my mistake, thought your comment following mine was directed towards me, thus the brief comment, don't wish to be a windbag when a short answer will do the trick .

Post #: 27
RE: Forum Platform - 2/23/2020 10:59:59 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Understood, fair enough!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 28
RE: Forum Platform - 2/24/2020 12:07:06 AM   
Infierno

It ain't broke.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

Post #: 29
RE: Forum Platform - 2/24/2020 5:12:20 AM   
Dreamslayer

I hope that during nearest 10 years this forum could get a super-innovational forum option named "spoiler". It's so damn annoying when I read WitP AARs without it because there are tonns of text in a combat log.

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
The 502 Gateway errors have gotten every old. Again, only on this forum, only since the forum "upgrade".

I thought that only I was cursed by it.

(in reply to Infierno)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Forum Platform Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI