Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing screen resolution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Tech Support >> Changing screen resolution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing screen resolution - 6/19/2007 11:24:04 PM   
Pocus

The game runs in 1024x768, I would like to change that to something higher (my native screen resolution is 1600x1200). Does an utility or an option exists for that.

Thanks in advance.
Pocus (with the reviewer hat)

AGEOD Team
Post #: 1
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/20/2007 8:03:51 AM   
firepowerjohan

No, sorry. the arts were done for 1024x768. If you want to see more of the map, you can just use the zoom feature instead by either mouse wheel, +/- keys or the zoom button in the minimap.

Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead developer of:
World Empires Live http://www.worldempireslive.com/
CEAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
CNAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/20/2007 8:24:55 AM   
Pocus

thanks for the answer

AGEOD Team

(in reply to firepowerjohan)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/30/2007 2:38:42 AM   
Boar

Speaking of changing resolution ... the first time the game ran, it asked me for "high" or "low" specs -- I chose "low" since I don't have
a 2.0 Ghz machine. However I do have a high-end graphics card and 1 gig of RAM (and can run games like Stalker with no prob), so I wanted
to reset this choice so I can use the third zoom-in level. Is there a way to do this? There's no option for it.

Thanks.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/30/2007 10:51:44 AM   
firepowerjohan

There is a file "settings.txt" on the game root path. You can reset the "LOW_RAM 0" there giving you that popup again to select performance.

Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead developer of:
World Empires Live http://www.worldempireslive.com/
CEAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
CNAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

(in reply to Boar)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/30/2007 6:59:31 PM   
Boar

Thanks! That did the trick ... only problem now is I got the "black screen of death" trying it the first time. Oddly this prob comes and goes.

Thanks for the fast answer, though!

***Later: After suffering the "black screen" twice in a row I brought up task manager and found my HP drivers had somehow
formed a bottleneck for the game -- after I ended them the splashscreens came up and the game loaded beautifully. I like the zoom
level 3, btw. Adds some color to the game. I also noticed a freeze when I tried loading up the game manual -- seems my version of
Acrobat reader is somehow the culprit (how I hate Adobe)!

Minor bugs aside, I'm really enjoying this game.

< Message edited by Boar -- 7/1/2007 4:44:34 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Changing screen resolution - 8/31/2007 3:36:01 PM   
kk68

quote:

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

No, sorry. the arts were done for 1024x768. If you want to see more of the map, you can just use the zoom feature instead by either mouse wheel, +/- keys or the zoom button in the minimap.

I'm sorry but I'm not satisfied with this answer. I'm not requesting to change the arts. The art size is just fine in the windowed mode (but too big in full screen mode of my monitor). Sure, you can zoom as you said, but the game play would be MUCH better (IMHO) if the whole monitor screen could be used.

Post #: 7
RE: Changing screen resolution - 8/31/2007 6:11:38 PM   
IainMcNeil

Sorry - you'll have to trust us that it is a huge amount of work.  

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to kk68)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing screen resolution - 8/31/2007 11:36:41 PM   
kk68

I'm sorry, too, for not trusting you without a hint of the problem. I'm an experienced software developer myself (using C#/.NET and not java, though) and can't think about a design where changing window sizes and some offsets would be a huge work. Changing artwork would be a big task, I agree, but no-one has requested that (there has been other requests of changing screen resolution, too, yet keeping the artwork as it is).

I want to tell you that I bought the game today and played the tutorial. I couldn't get a nice view because zooming out would have made the map too small for me, yet when the map was zoomed in I couldn't see all units in Poland front, so I had to re-arrange the view frequently. If I could have used the native 1600x1200 resolution, there would have been no need to change the viewpoint. There were some other problems in the user interface, but this was the worst by far IMO.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I sincerely believe that if you asked people how many would be willing to pay extra (50%) for getting support for more resolutions, it would more than cover the cost of work. Personally, I could pay double price now that I see how crippled the fixed resolution solution is.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/2/2007 6:09:22 PM   
highpocrisy

AMEN

(in reply to kk68)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/2/2007 6:45:19 PM   
IainMcNeil

You cant change the screen space without changing the UI art. If it was scaled it would also look awful. The UI is all laid out in a java app and cannot just be scaled up. We're not just making it up. Like I said - you just have to trust us!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to highpocrisy)
Post #: 11
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/10/2007 11:15:15 PM   
Lebatron

For those using windowed mode why not just reduce your desktop resolution setting down to 1280x1024 or 1024x768 when playing the game then return to your prefered setting when your done? It's not that bad to play games on LCD's when outside the native screen resolution.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 12
RE: Changing screen resolution - 12/26/2007 6:51:57 PM   
jwarmer

Iain,

All that kk68 asks for is to use the complete screen. The screen contains a map and other stuff around the map. What kk68 wants is to use the additional screen space to see a larger part of the map. This neans that everything, including the artwork, will keep its original size. Just display the additional hexes of the map. I want exactly the same thing.

As an experienced (Java amongst others) software developer I cannot see that this would be so hard, you only have to change the layout for some parts of the screen (that is, change the x, y coordinates of all the artwork). No artwork needs to be changed, nothing needs to be scaled in any way. Many other games allow you to use different resolutions, and technically there is little reason to design a game in such a limited and inflexible way.

For a game that comes to the market nowadays I am utterly amazed to see that any game company thinks that having one fixed resolution will do. There are so many different sizes of monitors in use that this simply ignores a very large part of the (potential) customer base. For example, I have three computers on which I could run this game: 800x600, 1280x1024 and 1900x1200. All LCD, so working in anything other than the native resolution makes no sense.

I already decided to buy this game, until I came across this forum and now I have to decide that I will not buy it for this very reason. I think you made a bad business decision and you will sell less games because of this. Most people won't bother to say this on a forum, so you will not even know this.

I hope you will support other resolutions in the future, I will surely buy the game if you do.

Regards, Jos

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 13
RE: Changing screen resolution - 3/3/2011 3:39:12 PM   
Knavery

Yeah this pisses me off. I just bought the game and found this out recently. I should have done my homework before giving more of my hard-earned cash out. 1024x768 is unforgiveable and amateurish now-a-days.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to jwarmer)
Post #: 14
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/6/2012 4:05:05 AM   
enhorning

Just to add my voice to the chorus.

I was seriously considering picking this game up, but if it only runs at a fixed resolution, I won't.

Playing a 1024x768 game on 1920x1080 monitor either ends up looking awful (in full-screen) or way too tiny (in windowed mode).

Perhaps it is too late for Commander: Europe at War, but I hope the developer learns from this for future games, and plan to support multiple resolutions and aspect ratios.

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 15
RE: Changing screen resolution - 6/29/2012 3:23:51 PM   
Canuck_jp

I bought this game in 2007 and I had a 1024x768 monitor at the time so I didn't mind it then but I had a hankering to reinstall the game just yesterday and I have gotten with the times and gotten a widescreen monitor-imagine my disappointment when I saw those huge black bars and silly square map. I feel totally let down. I was really looking forward to giving the new GS2.0 a run through.

(in reply to enhorning)
Post #: 16
RE: Changing screen resolution - 5/14/2013 12:27:43 AM   
Steely Glint

Whoever decided on the non-scalable graphics made a really terrible decision.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 17
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/25/2013 5:56:54 AM   
GeorgePattonIII

I was planning to buy this game during the Holiday sale this year, but I'm sure glad I came across this thread first. A fixed resolution of 1024x768 is a nonstarter for me.

I think it would be helpful if Matrix Games started listing screen resolutions as standard info on the product spec pages. It seems to me that anyone paying $30 or more for a game is gonna want to know about serious resolution limitations like this.

< Message edited by GeorgePattonIII -- 11/25/2013 8:27:33 PM >

"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 18
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/29/2013 5:42:05 PM   
Zorch

I just bought this game; I would not have bought it had I known about the 1024 x 768 resolution.

(in reply to GeorgePattonIII)
Post #: 19
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/30/2013 1:25:18 AM   
GeorgePattonIII

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I just bought this game; I would not have bought it had I known about the 1024 x 768 resolution.

It may be futile, but I'd consider emailing Matrix asking for a refund; or at least a credit to your account. Maybe they'll be sympathetic.

"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 20
RE: Changing screen resolution - 11/30/2013 5:41:19 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: GeorgePattonIII

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

It may be futile, but I'd consider emailing Matrix asking for a refund; or at least a credit to your account. Maybe they'll be sympathetic.

I just might...but I doubt they would.
The alternative is to put the game on my 11 year old PC, which supports 1024 by 768 nicely.

(in reply to GeorgePattonIII)
Post #: 21
RE: Changing screen resolution - 12/21/2013 9:40:36 PM   
supershanks

quote:

Yes me too. My native res is 2048x1152. Like most people when I'm gaming there are often times I have to switch out of a game to the desktop to perform some task, answer email whatever, it's not a pretty sight seeing my desktop at 1024x768.
I have a number of old games which are still playable as they will scale up, very dissatisfied with this.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 22
RE: Changing screen resolution - 2/2/2014 3:12:55 AM   
dswebb

Wow, I was just about to buy this game too, and now count me as one who won't because of what I read here. Yeah, it would be too small to read well on my 1920x1080 monitor if it insists on being just 1024x768 overall. The map itself must be what then, 800x600 or something? I'll pass.

(in reply to supershanks)
Post #: 23
RE: Changing screen resolution - 3/8/2014 9:01:23 PM   
YoungAtHeart

After playing Commander: The Great War I just had to try Europe at War Gold. I just bought it today and am very disappointed at the screen resolution. I expected better from a fairly modern game. 1024x768 hasn't been the standard in may years now. I guess I'm stuck with it now.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 24
RE: Changing screen resolution - 3/15/2014 9:25:31 AM   
Silver1974

WoW, and I thought I was lucky to see in tech support forum the title of the issue I wanted to report! I bought the game yesterday, downloaded today to play, then saw 60% of the screen white and the game on the top left thinking "what the hell". I thought it was my fault.

Sorry to read there is no solution for this, I will play the game since I bought it and was looking forward for some weekend play, but come on... I cannot even put it in a windowed mode? :(

< Message edited by Silver1974 -- 3/15/2014 10:26:45 AM >

(in reply to YoungAtHeart)
Post #: 25
RE: Changing screen resolution - 1/2/2015 1:03:19 PM   
Ostwindflak

quote:

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

There is a file "settings.txt" on the game root path. You can reset the "LOW_RAM 0" there giving you that popup again to select performance.

r
Where can the "settings.txt" file be found and how would I reset it? I looked through all of the folders for the game within the C drive and could not locate this file.

*edit* For anyone else wondering the same; I found a thread on the Slitherine Forums about this. The settings.txt file can be found in the "My Documents" folder, not the program files folders.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 1/4/2015 4:38:22 PM >

Post #: 26
RE: Changing screen resolution - 5/22/2015 10:21:25 PM   
StkNRdr

I have been looking for a WWII operational level game and this looked like a good fit until I saw the screen res restriction. Going to have to pass. Hope some day it gets revised.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 27
RE: Changing screen resolution - 1/10/2020 8:22:34 PM   
spydermr2

I should have read the forums first before buying. 1024x768 was my default resolution... back when I had two Monster 3Ds in SLI. In the 1990s. My laptop ran 1600x900 in 2002. Running in 1024x768 is ridiculous. I will contact them to refund this. Strangely, I have Commander Great War and it stretches fine.
Sad, because this looked really interesting. But not worth $1, much less what I paid for it.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 28
RE: Changing screen resolution - 2/25/2020 8:18:16 AM   
Alitis

Yes you can change the resolution. Just edit the SC3.ini file in the USER folder for the game. It works, I've been doing it for years.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Tech Support >> Changing screen resolution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI