Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 11:44:52 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Yes, there is work underway to provide an updated manual with rule changes and new features incorporated into them. The first will be out next week, but it won't have all the new rules incorporated in yet. But we do eventually hope to catch up and provide a living document. It's a US Letter sized PDF file.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

It is not updated. For now you'd have to use the readme file and look through all the rule and feature changes. However, with the next update we will be releasing a new manual that has some corrections in it, and a complete list of just the rule changes and new features from the readme (no bugs or data changes). Over time we plan to incorporate those changes into the main text of the manual and release periodic updates.

As Joel wrote the new updated and expanded manual is in the works... please note that this is "living document" and that it will be updated and all sighted possible issues will be fixed in upcoming releases...

Thus far I made some good progress and lots of stuff was added and fixed - thanks to all who contributed with info in "Tech" subforum!

Features:

The document is "US Letter" sized PDF suitable for reading on a PC and printing. It is currently 274 pages long.

It is TOC jumpable and it contains all text and pictures the original manual had plus all community sighted errors and all known "forgotten rules" that we discovered since release.

The whole document is also "section jumpable" now (i.e. if you click on "See section xx.yy.zz" you would jump to that section) - I had to do all this manually since there were mistakes in original manual (i.e. pointers to wrong sections) - there were around 1250 such entries alone!

New rules that were added post original WitE release are listed in Addendum. In time they will be moved to appropriate places (i..e from addendum to proper sections).

Feedback / help from WitE users needed:

Please post all possible sighted errors in appropriate "Tech" subforum - thanks in advance on feedback!

I work with Microsoft WinWord 2007 as my primary tool for editing. All text and pictures are flowing without "artificial" breaks and the working document is thus flexible and very usable.

The problem is MS WinWord Index function - it works OK (i.e. it lists all stuff that needs to be listed but page numbers are not hyperlinked - they are static).

In other words, for example, you have MS WinWord document and you have build the Index for it - it lists:

Addendum A - Page 96

But that "Page 96" is not hyperlinked - it is just plain text (i.e. it is not clickable and "jumpable").

I discovered that this is old MS WinWord problem and that there is no solution withing original MS WinWord - the only solution is 3rd party VBA Macro or print to PDF and then use external program to modify that PDF.

Unfortunately the only programs I found cost several hundred dollars and VBA macros that people said worked are no longer available on-line...

So... does anyone here has some idea regarding this (or some cheaper solution or knows VBA macro that can do it)?

I still haven't made almost any effort in "beautification" of document.... sorry...

The most obvious examples are tables - therefore if you guys have good idea how to simply convert existing (rather plain looking) tables in some good looking / uniform tables please let me know!

I have never ever made e-book format... I confess...

If you guys know ways to convert current natural flowing working document I currently have (i.e. "US Letter" sized) into e-book format please let me know!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Post #: 1
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 2:06:37 PM   
heliodorus04

Apollo,

I'm an unemployed former technical writer and professional editor for various publications. Now, I'm not familiar with the use of indexes in Word, but I'm also a believer that a good Table of Contents is superior to most indexes.

My thought is that using Adobe to create a file is the way to go. Do you not have any version of Acrobat that would allow you to modify content?

To me, PDF is the way to go, just as with the original manual.

Also, I'd be happy to contribute professional editing, and I have time depending on when your deadline is (and I could make more time and do it to any deadline if I could get a credit on the manual that I could then use to tell current prospective employers that this is what I'm doing right now - I'm unemployed, which is why I have a lot of time - so having a credit gives the appearance of having an official role, which would look better than just being unemployed).

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 2
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 2:44:18 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

Apollo,

I'm an unemployed former technical writer and professional editor for various publications. Now, I'm not familiar with the use of indexes in Word, but I'm also a believer that a good Table of Contents is superior to most indexes.

My thought is that using Adobe to create a file is the way to go. Do you not have any version of Acrobat that would allow you to modify content?

Also, I'd be happy to contribute professional editing, and I have time depending on when your deadline is (and I could make more time and do it to any deadline if I could get a credit on the manual that I could then use to tell current prospective employers that this is what I'm doing right now - I'm unemployed, which is why I have a lot of time - so having a credit gives the appearance of having an official role, which would look better than just being unemployed).

Thanks for input!

I use MS WinWord 2007 just for work - the end result is PDF - thus it is the same as with original WitE manual...

I have original Adobe AcrobatPro X (and other previous variants) at work.

There is TOC and that is "jumpable" and OK - but I would like to have the "jumpable" index (and the end of document) as well...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 3
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 2:49:10 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

Apollo,

Hold on, I have done a lot of writing of scientific papers, but unless I am missing something, one cannot write a whole pdf document with Adobe Acrobat, one has to write it in say MS Word and then convert it to pdf. Correct me if I am wrong, because I have Adobe Acrobat professional 9 and I would be happy to learn that I can write documents directly in pdf with it (Acrobat allows one to make minor corrections, add or remove pages etc).

It is not difficult to make an index with Word, but I have not done any index recently and I was not aware that there was a problem with the index page numbering. I have the most recent versions of Word for both Mac and PC, and I will check out this page number problem.

Henri

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 4
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 4:25:43 PM   
Johnlax

Hi guys thanks for all your efforts Please stronly consider a good index It is hard to beliveve in this day and age that most games fail to have an index at all let alone a good one!!

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 5
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 4:32:51 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

The index is present (and was present in original WitE manual as well)!

The only "problem" / "issue" is that it is not "clickable" / jumpable" because MS WinWord doesn't support hyperlinked index by default.

Thus the index is in manual (as always was) but you have to manually jump to page you want to when looking index because automation is not possible.

There are some VBA solutions to this but I was unable to find it on the Internet (i.e. the "XE" fields in index would be replaced with hyperlinks with macro in MS WinWord and the resulting PDF would have "jumpable" index)...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Johnlax)
Post #: 6
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/10/2011 10:39:31 PM   
Baelfiin

Thanks Apollo11

I was looking at the manual and wondering why I could not combine some of my soviet rifle brigades in 1941, but after researching the change notes realized that they can not be combined until mid 1942.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 7
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 6/14/2011 9:36:59 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Thanks to Jorge Chacón "Kitakami" (via PM):

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

You should take a look at two programs:

- Sigil (XML editor)
- calibre (e-book manager)

You need to export your file to XML format, which Sigil takes, you then edit and format with it. Then you take the file with calibre, to change to other e-book formats.

Hope the info helps :)

Any similar ideas / suggestions guys?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 8
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 3/7/2020 6:41:20 PM   
Johnlax

how can I secure the full and latest copy of this game and in particular the manual?????

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9
RE: Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... - 3/7/2020 6:58:49 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnlax

how can I secure the full and latest copy of this game and in particular the manual?????

You can buy the game from Steam or from the Matrix store.

Here is the updated manual: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4529371

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Johnlax)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Latest updated and expanded WitE manual status... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI