Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scale /unit size?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Order of Battle : World War II >> The War Room >> Scale /unit size? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scale /unit size? - 2/16/2017 7:17:53 PM   
krakoburger

What is the scale of the game? Unit sizes for infantry, naval and air. The only one I feel generally comfortable that I know is that the larger ships are individuals. What is the diameter of a hex?
Post #: 1
RE: Scale /unit size? - 3/19/2017 4:26:09 PM   
bru888

One of the remarkable things about this game is that, once you get past the relative sizes of units compared to each other - and that seems to be easy to do - map scales can be flexible and accommodate everything from platoons to divisions. In the mind, that is, and with the aid of custom unit names.

(in reply to krakoburger)
Post #: 2
RE: Scale /unit size? - 5/9/2017 5:45:12 PM   
AceDuceTrey

How do attack values relate to defense values? I.e. what is the "expected" outcome when both values are equal (say 10 to 10). Also, why
do some units have two different attack or defense versus the same type target?

(in reply to bru888)
Post #: 3
RE: Scale /unit size? - 5/9/2017 10:12:41 PM   
Rosseau

All of this is laid out (and moddable) in the units.csv file found in Order of Battle Pacific/Order of Battle WW2 Data/Content/Data folder.

Obviously, make a copy of the file before changing anything.

Have fun.

(in reply to AceDuceTrey)
Post #: 4
RE: Scale /unit size? - 5/10/2017 10:29:01 PM   
AceDuceTrey

Thanks rosseau! But when I go to this file I only find the game's units stats- nothing dealing with combat results. Also no explanation for attack values with two different numbers for the same type of attack. I did copy and modify some values that were wrong but then the revised units.csv file doesn't allow the game to play!

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 5
RE: Scale /unit size? - 5/11/2017 8:43:41 AM   
Erik2

The units.csv needs to be saved as a 'comma separated value' file. And any errors in the file will cause the game to hang.
I've found the best editing tool is the free Open Office.
Excel wouldn't work correctly for me.

Edit:
Here's a screenshot of the start page, you get a preview of the units file.
BTW, the Slitherine Scenario Forum has a number of discussions going and lots of custom scenarios/campaigns.
Someone's even got a Modern War modding project.
Welcome!
OOB Scenario Forum

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Nygaard -- 5/11/2017 9:19:09 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Scale /unit size? - 5/11/2017 7:23:07 PM   
AceDuceTrey

Erik, thank you so much! I'm not sure what I did but It worked!

(in reply to Erik2)
Post #: 7
RE: Scale /unit size? - 2/4/2019 7:27:48 PM   
krakoburger

I've been thinking about my question for a long time - 2 years now - and I've played through a number of scenarios in several modules, and I wonder why it wouldn't be more obvious. Certain issues, such as logistics, e.g. supply, are much more difficult and important to monitor IRL for large units across wide areas, whereas smaller units' logistics are more easily managed across small distances. For instance, since playing through most of Winter War, I've read a couple of books and some papers on aspects of the war, and it is clear that there are big differences in unit size and morale between the Soviet and Finnish armies but the scenarios don't let the player "feel" this. Also, it is hard to know your own army, let alone understand something about the opponent, without a better sense of scale.

Post #: 8
RE: Scale /unit size? - 1/13/2020 4:48:29 PM   
KingHunter3059

In reply to Krakoburger, Sorry for the delay, But I find this game to be Regimental in scale. So I play accordingly.

JT

"He who dares, wins!"

(in reply to krakoburger)
Post #: 9
RE: Scale /unit size? - 3/8/2020 2:45:34 PM   
bru888

Actually, one of its strengths is the way OOB does not force any sense of scale. This flexibility allows the designer to go all the way from division level down to company. The trick is to impart what the scale actually is supposed to be by references in the scenario description, briefings, messages, and unit labels.

(in reply to KingHunter3059)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Order of Battle : World War II >> The War Room >> Scale /unit size? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI