Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 7:46:35 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

TAR and FEATHERS!!!

Couple Makes More Than $100,000 Reselling Lysol Wipes Amid Coronavirus Fears: “We’re Hustlers”

https://balleralert.com/profiles/blogs/couple-makes-more-than-100k-reselling-lysol-wipes-amid-coronavirus/

"A Vancouver couple is capitalizing on the growing hysteria surrounding the spread of coronavirus.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

According to The Star, Manny Ranga and his wife Violeta Perez parked their Ford F-150 outside of a Costco near downtown Vancouver this week with stacks upon stacks of “Lysol disinfecting wipes.”

The couple claimed they’ve made over $100,000 so far with their “business model.” They hit up each Costco retailer within the area, and racked up on as many Lysol wipes and liquid cleaners they could get their hands on, spending thousands of dollars at a time and then reselling them on Amazon under their vendor name “Violeta & Sons Buying and Selling, Ltd.”

Ranga revealed that one $20 six-pack of wipes could fetch 4 times as much online. The couple stocked their valued wipes in a storage area on their property, and in turn, resold them for $89."

TBH... while I would never do such a thing, I can't really fault them for doing something they're allowed to do.

Want that to stop, gotta pass anti-gouging laws like NYC has. Didn't bother to pass anti-gouging laws? Well...

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 751
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 7:46:58 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

TAR and FEATHERS!!!

Couple Makes More Than $100,000 Reselling Lysol Wipes Amid Coronavirus Fears: “We’re Hustlers”

https://balleralert.com/profiles/blogs/couple-makes-more-than-100k-reselling-lysol-wipes-amid-coronavirus/

"A Vancouver couple is capitalizing on the growing hysteria surrounding the spread of coronavirus.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

According to The Star, Manny Ranga and his wife Violeta Perez parked their Ford F-150 outside of a Costco near downtown Vancouver this week with stacks upon stacks of “Lysol disinfecting wipes.”

The couple claimed they’ve made over $100,000 so far with their “business model.” They hit up each Costco retailer within the area, and racked up on as many Lysol wipes and liquid cleaners they could get their hands on, spending thousands of dollars at a time and then reselling them on Amazon under their vendor name “Violeta & Sons Buying and Selling, Ltd.”

Ranga revealed that one $20 six-pack of wipes could fetch 4 times as much online. The couple stocked their valued wipes in a storage area on their property, and in turn, resold them for $89."

Well, now people will know where to get it without buying it . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 752
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 7:48:19 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

TBH... while I would never do such a thing, I can't really fault them for doing something they're allowed to do.

Depends on the state; some states have price gouging laws.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 753
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 7:49:40 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Witpqs, I was working on the same chart while you posted it. :)

These are some of my thoughts:

Here's a useful explainer to go along with CR's post, and the money shot of the chart contained within the post. https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

It's also useful to point out that this disease has the capability of causing a severe, sudden spike in the need for hospitalization, which is why it can not and should not be compared to the seasonal flu except in the very broadest and historical sense (e.g., "the 1918 flu pandemic killed 675K Americans and COVID-19 killed X Americans" after the fact).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 754
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 7:55:12 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

I'd be very cautious about taking too much optimism from the Chinese data at this point. All it shows is really what you would expect from a virus of this nature which is that if you lock everything down the increase in case numbers will slow down and indeed will eventually stop. The problem is that at some point those restrictions will have to be lifted and in the absence of any vaccine the case numbers will start to rise again.

All of the available information at this point suggests that the only thing that will stop the virus is 'herd immunity' (i.e. the point when enough of the population has had the virus and developed immunity that there are not enough potential carriers to sustain an increase in cases) or a vaccine. If we assume that the latter is some way off then the choice for the governments of affected countries is really one of how you get to that 'herd immunity' point.

The thinking of the government here in the UK seems to be based on two assumptions
a) that we are in this for the long haul - that both as a nation and as a worldwide population we are past the point where the virus can be contained and isolated.
b) that, particularly in the West, there is only so much resilience to large scale shutdowns as we have seen in China both in terms of economic resilience and in terms of public adherence to those types of measures. So by shutting down early you potentially run the risk of getting good short term results but then run the risk of reaching a point where you are no longer able to continue the shutdown either politically and/or economically and are forced to lift the measures just at the point where the virus has most momentum.

Put a different way you could have a lower 'critical point' at which you shut things down which will result in repeated short term shut-downs as the case numbers increase and contract. The UK government's thinking seems to be that the more shutdowns you have the less effective and the more economically damaging they will be.

If I was going to speculate I would suggest that the UK is aiming to have had enough people infected by October that the virus has become self limiting and they don't have the dual problem of an ongoing CV19 outbreak and the inevitable spike of flu cases we will get next winter. Obviously nobody in a political position can say this but from a UK perspective at least this is the best time to be having an outbreak - the flu season has almost passed so there is the medical capacity to deal with cases and at the same time we are not at summer yet so there are two natural windows either side of summer to allow people to get infected and build the populations immunity, leaving enough political/economic capacity to make a couple of large scale shut downs if things appear to be getting out of hand.

The above (and particularly the last paragraph) sounds counter intuitive - how on earth can it be a positive thing for people to be infected? But it is worth remembering that for the large majority of people this is a virus that will be recovered from.

I'm by no means cheerleading for what we are doing in the UK. For me there is a very big omission in what we are doing so far in that if you are working on letting the virus spread amongst the healthy population you need to be taking measures to protect the minority of people who are much more at risk - for me (just going off the information that is publicly available) there has not been nearly enough action on this. I would say that my impression is that our approach has very much been driven by the expert medical advice that is being given to the government rather than political expediency (I do not say that as a slight against any other country's approach - more that I am surprised that this is the case from a government and wider political class that, as we have seen with Brexit, has had a tendency to prioritise broadbrush political ideology over the more technical concerns of 'experts')

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 755
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:03:01 PM   
Anachro

Let's not forget the Chinese government internally is under enormous pressure to lift the lock down as soon as possible to head off greater domestic economic damage. I definitely wouldn't put it past Xi and others in his council deciding to lift things before they probably should.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 756
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:06:04 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

my local walmart run out of toilet paper, pasta, tuna cans

I was able to buy a lot of food, but things are going to get creative once I finish my last TP roll in a few days

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 757
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:06:33 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

quote:

Ha! Read my entire post. Go **** yourself

quote:

Man, Alanshu, your words were uncalled for and unkind. Jeff has a seven-year-old son whose immunity is compromised; so he's unusually vulnerable. I hope you'll apologize.

I totally did miss that. I'm sorry JeffK.

It's all good man

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 758
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:13:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

I was able to buy a lot of food, but things are going to get creative once I finish my last TP roll in a few days

Maybe I should take my limited resources, buy toilet paper, and resell it . . .

Personally, I like wide, soft, damp leaves when I am out in the woods . . .
But NO leaflets of three . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 759
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:14:12 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

You learned that the hard way, I bet....

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 760
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:36:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Let's not forget the Chinese government internally is under enormous pressure to lift the lock down as soon as possible to head off greater domestic economic damage. I definitely wouldn't put it past Xi and others in his council deciding to lift things before they probably should.
warspite1

Well I don't know what should be being done for the best, but the above comment is one reason why I am inclined to trust the approach being taken by the UK. It is surely simply impossible to put everything on lockdown for an indeterminate length of time. We are already starting to see some economic impacts - there are some big names apparently in trouble already. And who is to then pronounce when that lock down should be lifted? After all that pain that is a decision that really doesn't need to be got wrong...

But who knows? Difficult times indeed and a lot of pain ahead no doubt - even if the more wild scenarios don't come to pass.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 761
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:44:06 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

You learned that the hard way, I bet....

Nope, I learned by training . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 762
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:45:03 PM   
Scott_USN

Would think this was more deadly and contagious than the swine flu or something. People all over have gone crazy and of course when doctors get on national TV claiming numbers that don't exist (100,000 infected in Ohio) doesn't help.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 763
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:47:33 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

Would think this was more deadly and contagious than the swine flu or something. People all over have gone crazy and of course when doctors get on national TV claiming numbers that don't exist (100,000 infected in Ohio) doesn't help.

I think that this is partly to boost their egos and partly to boost their budgets . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 764
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 8:49:43 PM   
Scott_USN

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

I think that this is partly to boost their egos and partly to boost their budgets . . .

Yeah seen a lot of budgets being boosted!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 765
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 9:12:07 PM   
MakeeLearn

Here is some fun to deflate the seriousness.

I'am in the health care profession and we are having difficulties getting certain things that we buy at the store. As other people walk out with 3 months supply.

People have 6 months of toilet paper and 2 weeks of food.

There is so much I could write on current events and how we got here.

A fact to ponder:

D-Day
Men in the 1st wave to hit the beaches were told that casualties would be in the 90 percentile. I've never been able to find any record of someone backing out.

Here is something I hope you find funny. I have wised up!!! For the past year I have been doing "Cleaning" within myself. I have turned the core of my thinking back a few hundred years

Someone of today's mold might look at me now and say:

"He is a racist, misogynist, bigot, ... and all the other bad words of today's world."

But NO matter what they call me it contains the word "Man". And I'am drowning in women, 18 to 80. And the ones that disagree with my beliefs are the ones most attracted to me.

I will probably be shot by a jealous husband.

Someone has to be in that first wave.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 3/13/2020 9:13:59 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 766
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 9:38:03 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't know what you're talking about, Loka. I've never used the term "deep state." I don't know what it means. And I don't know why it's offensive.

quote:

quote:

I started this thread to get insight from the thoughtful members of the community.

People like Chiekenboy, who has a particular expertise in this area.

But good men couldn't keep themselves under control and became incredibly offensive.

I'm out of here.

The term "deep state" is itself incredibly offensive and pejorative. I wish you would've scrubbed it from the headline at minimum.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 767
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 9:49:43 PM   
Canoerebel

I thought the critical thing in the fight is to flatten the curve, slowing growth, stretching things out over time so that medical facilities aren't overwhelmed at any one time. If that's true, and I think it is, then it's essential to find ways to follow China's example and stop the exponential growth.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

I'd be very cautious about taking too much optimism from the Chinese data at this point. All it shows is really what you would expect from a virus of this nature which is that if you lock everything down the increase in case numbers will slow down and indeed will eventually stop. The problem is that at some point those restrictions will have to be lifted and in the absence of any vaccine the case numbers will start to rise again.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/13/2020 9:50:27 PM >

Post #: 768
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 9:52:52 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

I'am in the health care profession and we are having difficulties getting certain things that we buy at the store. As other people walk out with 3 months supply.

A fact to ponder:

D-Day
Men in the 1st wave to hit the beaches were told that casualties would be in the 90 percentile. I've never been able to find any record of someone backing out.

Here is something I hope you find funny. I have wised up!!! For the past year I have been doing "Cleaning" within myself. I have turned the core of my thinking back a few hundred years

"He is a racist, misogynist, bigot, ... and all the other bad words of today's world."

But NO matter what they call me it contains the word "Man". And I'am drowning in women, 18 to 80. And the ones that disagree with my beliefs are the ones most attracted to me.

That D-Day statistic is indeed sobering - it is why as the last veterans pass away we should strive to ensure that their generation is never forgotten.

Perhaps it has some relevance to the current situation in terms of people appreciating that things could be a lot worse.

But at the same time you can come at it from a different direction - in terms of total population the fatality rates for the US and UK were 0.32% and 0.94% respectively. The current global CV-19 fatality rate stands at 3.7%. So even if just a quarter of the UK/US population eventually becomes infected you are looking at a WW2 scale loss of life.

As an aside, I think whenever discussing WW2 fatality rates it is always worth drawing comparision of the US/UK rates above with the USSR estimated loss of c13-14% of their population and the estimate that roughly half of the pre-war European Jewish population were killed in the Holocaust. As above that is not to denigrate the US/UK and certainly not those that served in the armed forces - I just think it is important to keep in perspective a) the contribution of the USSR, whatever our more recent political differences with them and b) the scale of the Holocaust.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 769
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 9:56:41 PM   
Canoerebel

I think only one USA division had combat experience on D-Day. IIRC, the thinking was that raw troops might be more willing to push, as they were facing an unknown. The veterans might be more reluctant, facing the known.

I wonder how many Anzio vets there were on D-Day?

Post #: 770
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:01:11 PM   
Scott_USN

Yep the Big Red 1 was the only combat division that I know of.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 771
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:04:31 PM   
Canoerebel

One of the airborne divisions (82nd) had seen combat at Sicily and I think around Anzio too, so a sizeable percentage of the airborne troops were vets. But the poor guys on the beaches were mostly untested soldiers from places like Bedford, Virginia.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 772
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:12:02 PM   
Canoerebel

Korea has reached the point where the number of recoveries is rising dramatically.

Three or four days ago, Korea was reporting 51 deaths and 118 recoveries.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 773
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:27:01 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

A fact to ponder:

D-Day

That D-Day statistic is indeed sobering - it is why as the last veterans pass away we should strive to ensure that their generation is never forgotten.

Perhaps it has some relevance to the current situation in terms of people appreciating that things could be a lot worse.

But at the same time you can come at it from a different direction - in terms of total population the fatality rates for the US and UK were 0.32% and 0.94% respectively. The current global CV-19 fatality rate stands at 3.7%. So even if just a quarter of the UK/US population eventually becomes infected you are looking at a WW2 scale loss of life.

As an aside, I think whenever discussing WW2 fatality rates it is always worth drawing comparision of the US/UK rates above with the USSR estimated loss of c13-14% of their population and the estimate that roughly half of the pre-war European Jewish population were killed in the Holocaust. As above that is not to denigrate the US/UK and certainly not those that served in the armed forces - I just think it is important to keep in perspective a) the contribution of the USSR, whatever our more recent political differences with them and b) the scale of the Holocaust.

With so little food, why do they need that much toilet paper?

― Julia Child

Post #: 774
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:28:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

I thought the critical thing in the fight is to flatten the curve, slowing growth, stretching things out over time so that medical facilities aren't overwhelmed at any one time. If that's true, and I think it is, then it's essential to find ways to follow China's example and stop the exponential growth.

quote:

The UK ‘s top medical advisor just wrote an article explaining the rationale. Can’t link now from the phone but it’s similar to the explanation above. You can’t isolate and distance forever. They’re banking on the idea they can delay the growth, flatten the curve but also get people exposed through the next three or four months so that there won’t be another bigger wave later as with the 1918 flu.

Spot on about needing more visible care for vulnerable and that this may not actually be the best choice; it’s a gamble. The private sector though is ramping down and large gatherings are being cancelled as well as people changing behavioral patterns.

Testing is not widespread and I think that may be to quell panic and allow the govt to trade difficulty now for a perceived better immunity later. But Boris did say he thinks there could be 10k cases here right now.

I think it’s going to be a hard few months and we may not know if it’s worth it until this time next year.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 775
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:28:52 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

quote:

Korea has reached the point where the number of recoveries is rising dramatically.

Even with Italy levels of mortality you have 93% of people recovering. So in every affected country you'll see a big spike of recoveries at some point (c. 14 days?) after the virus started really gathering speed in terms of infections.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 776
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:32:35 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Even with Italy levels of mortality you have 93% of people recovering. So in every affected country you'll see a big spike of recoveries at some point (c. 14 days?) after the virus started really gathering speed in terms of infections.

A lot of people have a mild case for up to eight days. Some can still turn serious that late and go downhill fast. So a case might be contracted, have 3-7 days before symptoms show up, then 5-8 days before it turns serious or gets better, then if bad another battle for 7-14 days until recovery or not.

In some cases people are in this for 3-4 weeks.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 777
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 10:44:14 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

I don't know what you're talking about, Loka. I've never used the term "deep state." I don't know what it means. And I don't know why it's offensive.

quote:

quote:

I started this thread to get insight from the thoughtful members of the community.

People like Chiekenboy, who has a particular expertise in this area.

But good men couldn't keep themselves under control and became incredibly offensive.

I'm out of here.

The term "deep state" is itself incredibly offensive and pejorative. I wish you would've scrubbed it from the headline at minimum.

Please disregard the direction (although not the content) of my comment - I mistook the author of the post.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 778
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 11:08:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

Yup - toilet paper is getting to be a prized commodity.

I would only byy the unused half of that toilet paper roll ...

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 3/13/2020 11:37:25 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 779
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/13/2020 11:16:38 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

TAR and FEATHERS!!!

What you have described is a business enterprise, and the couple should have registered their business with local authorities and prepared books of their activity for the IRS so they can pay the appropriate taxes. If they have not done so, I hope they get caught. This is a smaller version of that Pharmacy company CEO who jacked up the price of Epi-pens (adrenalin for allergic reactions) by 6X just because his company held a monopoly on the product. It's immoral and probably illegal somewhere in the laws and precedents of the country.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI