Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 8:11:05 PM   
Canoerebel

What about the "serious" cases though? Presumably, the hospitals have been able to verify that they have 2,395 active cases, as shown in that chart, and have determined that only 10 of those are serious.

Of course, that's assuming that table is accurate. But in that case, look at Italy with it's high infection rate and high mortality rate. 17,750 active cases, of which 1,518 are serious. A bit less than 10%. Why are we at 4/10ths of one percent? Probably a reporting anomaly.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 871
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 8:41:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

Hey RangeJoe,

In regards to the arthritis medications info and link you posted - I wanted to say thanks. My wife contacted her doctor to ask about any known complications for people using her medication and regimen for rheumatoid arthritis. The doctor basically said there wasn't a strong sample size nor many within his network that had any working experience with the virus yet.

In the end, he basically told her to try extra-hard not to catch the virus... <wry grin>.

You are welcome. But the information was that the Chinese were testing the drugs for Corona virus cytokine overload, where the body essentially goes nuts and destroys itself. Apparently that is what is happening to people who get very sick and then go to see what is next.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 872
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 8:45:28 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The data really does have no political viewpoints.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/access-to-health-care.htm

quote:

Percent of persons who failed to obtain needed medical care due to cost: 4.8%

I don't see where the cost is concerned, the person or the medical insurance organization or the medical provider.

BTW, the CDC does have a political agenda.

When you keep stating "no political agenda" it makes it sound, at least to me, that there is a political agenda.

The person.

Curious as to your claim that the CDC has a political agenda, that's news to me, not being from the US. Would you mind expanding on it?

Every governmental entity has a political agenda. More money, larger budgets, more control => more power. The CDC apparently stopped other entities in the United States from developing tests for the Corona virus, that meant that any tests had to come from the CDC. Meaning that the CDC could ask for more money, more employees, and hence, more power.

Interesting. Have you a source for that?

It is the way that things work in any business entity, governmental entity, or other organizations. Offices with a window, corner offices are even more prestigious. A secretary for just one person and not shared, how many assistants (if any) are all signs of power. Even if they make the workload heavier and are not needed. I suggest that you take some college business courses for the sources. Don't forget to take simple economic courses as well. Not to mention higher level courses if needed.

You've misunderstood - a source for your claim that the CDC stopped manufacture of testing kits.

Somebody else posted that link earlier. I guess the problem was the accuracy with those other tests. So then the only source for the test kits was the CDC. One kit can test many people depending upon the supplies available.

― Julia Child

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 873
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 8:45:56 PM   
Kull

A treatment for the uninfected - not a vaccine but a procedure which could dramatically slow the spread of the disease - could be just weeks away:

quote:

With a vaccine for COVID-19 still a long way from being realized, Johns Hopkins immunologist Arturo Casadevall is working to revive a century-old blood-derived treatment for use in the United States in hopes of slowing the spread of the disease.

With the right pieces in place, the treatment could be set up at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore within a matter of weeks, Casadevall says.

The technique uses antibodies from the blood plasma or serum of people who have recovered from COVID-19 infection to boost the immunity of newly infected patients and those at risk of contracting the disease. These antibodies contained in the blood's serum have the ability to bind to and neutralize SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Casadevall—a Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of molecular microbiology and immunology and infectious diseases at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and School of Medicine—published a paper on the proposal today in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

"Deployment of this option requires no research or development," he says. "It could be deployed within a couple of weeks since it relies on standard blood-banking practices."

In this case, physicians would ask patients who recover from COVID-19 to donate their blood, from which sera would be isolated. After processing the serum and removing other toxins or trace illnesses, it can be injected into sick patients and those at risk of contracting the disease. The procedure for isolating serum or plasma is a long-established technology that can be performed using equipment normally found in hospitals and blood-banking facilities, and recent advances make it as safe as a blood transfusion, Casadevall says.

Experts around the U.S. are rushing to implement the treatment in several different areas, including New York City, Casadevall says. Doctors in Shanghai have already used the plasma therapy with newly infected coronavirus patients in China and have reported promising early results. Japan's largest drugmaker, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, has also begun testing the therapy.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 874
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 8:54:32 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

the end of the good times for pandemia profiteers:

amazon cracking on Corona virus price gouging

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 875
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 8:57:48 PM   
obvert

This is beautiful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-51886547/coronavirus-italians-sing-from-their-windows-to-boost-morale

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 876
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 9:03:18 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

A treatment for the uninfected - not a vaccine but a procedure which could dramatically slow the spread of the disease - could be just weeks away:

quote:

With a vaccine for COVID-19 still a long way from being realized, Johns Hopkins immunologist Arturo Casadevall is working to revive a century-old blood-derived treatment for use in the United States in hopes of slowing the spread of the disease.

With the right pieces in place, the treatment could be set up at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore within a matter of weeks, Casadevall says.

The technique uses antibodies from the blood plasma or serum of people who have recovered from COVID-19 infection to boost the immunity of newly infected patients and those at risk of contracting the disease. These antibodies contained in the blood's serum have the ability to bind to and neutralize SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Casadevall—a Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of molecular microbiology and immunology and infectious diseases at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and School of Medicine—published a paper on the proposal today in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

"Deployment of this option requires no research or development," he says. "It could be deployed within a couple of weeks since it relies on standard blood-banking practices."

In this case, physicians would ask patients who recover from COVID-19 to donate their blood, from which sera would be isolated. After processing the serum and removing other toxins or trace illnesses, it can be injected into sick patients and those at risk of contracting the disease. The procedure for isolating serum or plasma is a long-established technology that can be performed using equipment normally found in hospitals and blood-banking facilities, and recent advances make it as safe as a blood transfusion, Casadevall says.

Experts around the U.S. are rushing to implement the treatment in several different areas, including New York City, Casadevall says. Doctors in Shanghai have already used the plasma therapy with newly infected coronavirus patients in China and have reported promising early results. Japan's largest drugmaker, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, has also begun testing the therapy.

This has been done already in China. One female doctor who recovered donated her plasma for this cause.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/13/world/asia/coronavirus-death-life.html

The Chinese government has urged recovered patients to donate plasma, which experts say contains antibodies that could be used to treat the sick. Ms. Deng contacted a local blood bank soon after getting home.

She plans to go back to work as soon as the hospital allows it.

“It was the nation that saved me,” she said. “And I think I can pay it back to the nation.”

It seems they've been doing this since early February treat some patients at least.

https://time.com/5784286/covid-19-china-plasma-treatment/

China National Biotec Group Co. has been using this plasma, which contains highly potent antibodies, to treat more than 10 seriously ill patients since Feb. 8, the company said in an statement on its official WeChat account Thursday night. It claimed that those receiving the treatment improved within 24 hours, with reduced inflammation and viral loads along with better oxygen levels in the blood.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 877
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 9:10:09 PM   
RangerJoe

Read what RFalvo69 wrote from Milan, Italy.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4757221&mpage=13&key=�

― Julia Child

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 878
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 9:11:42 PM   
RangerJoe

I read about China doing that earlier. It should help as long as another disease is not spread.

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 879
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 9:13:50 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This has been done already in China. One female doctor who recovered donated her plasma for this cause.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/13/world/asia/coronavirus-death-life.html

The Chinese government has urged recovered patients to donate plasma, which experts say contains antibodies that could be used to treat the sick. Ms. Deng contacted a local blood bank soon after getting home.

“It was the nation that saved me,” she said. “And I think I can pay it back to the nation.”

It seems they've been doing this since early February treat some patients at least.

China National Biotec Group Co. has been using this plasma, which contains highly potent antibodies, to treat more than 10 seriously ill patients since Feb. 8, the company said in an statement on its official WeChat account Thursday night. It claimed that those receiving the treatment improved within 24 hours, with reduced inflammation and viral loads along with better oxygen levels in the blood.

Which makes this even more encouraging. It's not a theory. It works!! And best of all, per the first story, none of this is "new technology". The hardware exists and the process exists.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 880
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 9:14:46 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Good, prosecute them. I don't think that Amazon and E-bay have listings for only certain states so every state that has laws against profiteering can prosecute them. It will be education for the people who think that profiteering is a good idea. Also, let them pay their way for any time in jail/prison.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 881
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 9:16:47 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Which makes this even more encouraging. It's not a theory. It works!! And best of all, per the first story, none of this is "new technology". The hardware exists and the process exists.

Yep. It is heartening, especially for more serious cases.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 882
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 10:20:26 PM   
witpqs

Brand new, only 20 minutes into it myself right now. Peter Attia, MD interviews very serious experts.

https://peterattiamd.com/peterhotez/
quote:

In this episode, Dr. Peter Hotez M.D., Ph.D., Dean for the National School of Tropical Medicine Baylor College of Medicine, shares his expertise on viral disease and how it applies specifically to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it (SARS-CoV-2). Dr. Hotez informs us about the current state of disease progression, which has many unknowns, but has thus far been greatly determined by the delayed response time and lack of testing. Moreover, we discuss what we can do on a country, state, community, and individual level in order to collectively slow transmission of the disease. He shares with us a potential hope in convalescent plasma therapy and underscores the need for US federal involvement – particularly in the creation of a specialty task force to address areas of concern and unknowns.

Disclaimer: This is information accurate as of March 13, 2020, when it was recorded.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 883
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 10:29:35 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Chinese government knew about coronavirus one month earlier than it claimed: report
quote:

Government documents seen by the South China Morning Post show the first reported case of COVID-19 surfaced on November 17. Scientists believe that a 55-year-old person from Hubei, a province in central China, could be "patient zero" though that has not yet been confirmed.

I've seen it posted a few times that, essentially, China did not experience exponential growth of infections until such and such a date. I think the information in (and linked to in) this article shows the number of infections grew rapidly right from the start.
quote:

Government documents seen by the South China Morning Post show the first reported case of COVID-19 surfaced on November 17. Scientists believe that a 55-year-old person from Hubei, a province in central China, could be "patient zero" though that has not yet been confirmed.

Of the first nine cases to be reported in November -- four men and five women -- none have turned out to be "patient zero," a term used to refer to the person identified as the first carrier of a communicable disease.

Each day after November 17, one to five new cases were reported, and by December 15, the number of infections had grown to 27. Five days later, the number reached 60, the SCMP said.

On December 27, Zhang Jixian, a Chinese doctor from Hubei Provincial Hospital of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine, told health authorities that the peculiar pneumonia-like illness infecting people was actually caused by a new coronavirus. Three days later, the number of confirmed cases had jumped to 266. Twenty-four hours later, the number spiked to 381.

A quotation from the original article:
quote:

As late as January 11, Wuhan’s health authorities were still claiming there were just 41 confirmed cases.

It's easy to understand why various people have questioned the official tallies from that area.

This link is in the article linked above, but for your convenience here is the original:
Coronavirus: China’s first confirmed Covid-19 case traced back to November 17

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 884
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 10:47:41 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Amazon cracks down on Canadian coronavirus price-gouging couple

https://www.foxnews.com/world/amazon-cracks-down-canadian-coronavirus-price-gougers

― Julia Child

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 885
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 10:52:16 PM   
RangerJoe

No Miracle Whip here:

Mayo Clinic develops coronavirus test to ‘help ease some of the burden’ on CDC, state labs

https://www.foxnews.com/health/mayo-clinic-develops-coronavirus-test

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 886
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 10:59:58 PM   
RangerJoe

Deadliest pandemics in modern history

https://www.foxnews.com/health/deadliest-pandemics-in-modern-history

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 887
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/14/2020 11:03:07 PM   
alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I presume that figure is worldwide. I am sure a lot of second and third world nations are just starting to get the capacity to test and know their numbers. Heaven knows how many may try and hide or downplay their numbers to encourage tourists to visit. During my 10 days in Jamaica there was no information on COVID-19 in that nation, although cruise ships were visiting and a steady stream of aircraft brought in visitors from many nations. I returned Feb. 27th when western governments were just starting to take major measures to find and isolate cases.

Oh for sure. It's much more global and the potential population base is growing with varying degrees of concern regarding detection for some time. Was just a milestone.

Although looking more closely, I think with the previous day having errors, some data may not have been entered on the day of errors (12th) so it's possible we will see today's (14th) be at a dip as well.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 888
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:09:45 AM   
Canoerebel

Northwest Georgia and Metro Atlanta have been the focus of the virus in this state, though we're still dealing with comparatively small verified numbers. That'll change, no doubt.

Today, I went for a long hike on Lavender Mountain, about ten miles from my house. The Berry College campus (the largest college in the world, by acreage) is closed, so the place was almost a ghost town (I teach there, so I have more access). ON a lovely March Saturday, I'd expect to see dozens at the Old Mill and perhaps a dozen or more on the trail. Today company was sparse - two mountain bike riders and a young couple with their baby and dog. In some ways, atmosphere reminds me of some of the scenes in the Lord of the Rings. In that movie, dark broiling clouds from Mordor spread, throwing everything into dense gloom as evil advances. Here, in addition to the growing concern about the virus, its been cloudy day after day - a gloom settling upon the land.

I met an acquaintance from our local health department. I see him out there, far along the trails, three or four times every year. He's a smart, good man. He didn't fist bump this time, which is the first time ever. He cautioned me to keep my family from crowds and to flee should anybody cough or sneeze. And he said he wished the college campus was still open, within reason, to give residents a place to exercise and get out. Cardiovascular health will be hard to maintain but may help ward off bad things.

In the woods, all was serene an normal. Blue-headed vireos are singing their springtime song. The ruby-crowned kinglets will soon begin their "liberty, liberty, liberty" song that announced they're about to leave for points far north. Spring beauty is in bloom. Blackberry and a few other shrubs are leafing out. It's just a normal spring day.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 889
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:26:34 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

9-12 month shutdowns are not something that ANY business can sustain. I can't see any bar or restaurant businesses surviving, the cruise industry is gone, for-profit airlines will be a thing of the past, brick-and-mortar schools will be relics, the list goes on and on. What are all those workers going to do in the interim? How does society handle the long-term loss of a system which uses schools largely as daycare centers for kids so that parents can leave the house and hold jobs? The "law of unintended consequences" is going to play out in a big way here, and many of them are going to major and devastating.

I think they are hoping that if we can at least buy 3-6 months, we will at least find some therapies that work on the virus and know better how to treat it. Right now, there's a lot that we just still don't understand about it or why it is so dangerous for some or what the real consequences are even for those that recover.

In the worst case though, by 12-18 months we will either have a vaccine or it will have run rampant and those remaining will have immunity.

Looking at this as a war-time level effort is probably the best way to make sense of it.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 890
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:28:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I would also like to point out that the Corona virus 19 appears to latch onto something on the human cell called ACE. Another treatment that is being tried is to flood the body with extra ACE so the virus latches onto that and then can't infect a cell. Whether or not this is the same ACE where some people with heart disease takes ACE inhibitors, I don't know.

If you're interested, this goes into detail on some of that:

http://www.nephjc.com/news/covidace2

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 891
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:33:57 AM   
Erik Rutins

I'd just like to ask again that we please try to keep politics out of this. Let's focus on information to help us all get through this pandemic, not discussion on whether one or another healthcare systems are superior. We are where we are and the virus is gunning for us all. We will all be happy to have those discussion on the other side of this. Right now focus on what unites us please.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 892
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:38:21 AM   
Erik Rutins

I'd like to post a few things I've found in terms of what might work to make this virus less lethal. A lot of clinical trials in China will be at the results stage in April, so expect more news then.

First, Chlorquine Phosphate and Hydroxychlorquine Phosphate. These seem to be helping and South Korea seems to be using these and Zinc as their go-to at this point.

"BREAKING: S. Korea significantly reducing lethality of coronavirus by prescribing a chloroquine diphosphate salt + zinc treatment combo to block COVID-19 viral enzyme @ 500 mg per day of chloroquine + zinc for 10 days"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/15/2020 12:47:11 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 893
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:41:49 AM   
Erik Rutins

Here's a summary of a bunch of medications being investigated, including the potentially promising new anti-viral Remdesivir which is available for compassionate use from Gilead Sciences in the US (apparently your doctor has to apply over the internet, but approvals are quick):

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/06/covid-19-small-molecule-therapies-reviewed

Therapies and vaccines in development:

https://www.biocentury.com/article/304515

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/15/2020 12:42:44 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 894
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:44:07 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

I would also like to point out that the Corona virus 19 appears to latch onto something on the human cell called ACE. Another treatment that is being tried is to flood the body with extra ACE so the virus latches onto that and then can't infect a cell. Whether or not this is the same ACE where some people with heart disease takes ACE inhibitors, I don't know.

If you're interested, this goes into detail on some of that:

http://www.nephjc.com/news/covidace2

Thank you, I could understand a little of that!

I do know that the drug Losartan mentioned in that link is used by some people for high blood pressure.

― Julia Child

Post #: 895
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:44:10 AM   
Erik Rutins

Some speculation about a drug that can block one of the ways COVID-19 infects the body:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30229-4

And some news from Japan that an existing anti-asthma drug may help:

https://writening.net/page?FC3QPm

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 896
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 12:46:59 AM   
Erik Rutins

Also, the two webinars here with the Chinese Doctor in charge of the entire Chinese response, Dr. Nanshan Zhong, are very interesting:

https://www.ers-education.org/events/coronavirus-webinar-series

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 897
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 1:45:56 AM   
Scott_USN

quote:

quote:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/amazon-cracks-down-canadian-coronavirus-price-gougers

I am surprised someone has not started selling a "Cure". 80 bucks for 4 tubes of wipes? I have bleach under the counter and gallon of vinegar, not sure if vinegar would kill it though, it will kill influenza.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 898
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 1:59:28 AM   
Scott_USN

But I was thinking if it is in your home already you are all going to get it anyway most likely. Wipes will do little at that point.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 899
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 2:01:05 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

quote:

quote:

I am surprised someone has not started selling a "Cure". 80 bucks for 4 tubes of wipes? I have bleach under the counter and gallon of vinegar, not sure if vinegar would kill it though, it will kill influenza.

Some people forget the simple remedies.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI