Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Submitted: The Missiles of October Part Deux, 2020

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Submitted: The Missiles of October Part Deux, 2020 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Submitted: The Missiles of October Part Deux, 2020 - 3/20/2020 12:54:24 AM   
BeirutDude

Submitted in Community Scenarios Folder now

During a period of international disruption Putin tries the Cuban gambit again. Any takers for a play test? Would appreciate any advice to make it better.

The Time Is: 6 October 2020 05:00:00 Zulu/6 October 2020 00:00:00 Eastern Time
AOR: Southeastern United States / Cuba
Playable as the United States side only
2 Days Duration

During the Spring of 2020, the new Coronavirus “COVID-19” strain caused serious disruption to the world order and economic systems, diverting the West’s attention from military matters to lock downs, market crashes and sealed borders. Quietly ties between Russia’s President Putin and Partido Comunista de Cuba (PPC), First Secretary, Raúl Castro warmed over this period of disruption. In April, a Russian Air Force MiG-31B Foxbat detachment deployed to Santa Clara Air Base as a sign of good will and the growing military ties between the two nations. By late May, Russian engineers began construction on a series of bunkers south of Habana (Havana) which bore a striking resemblance to similar bunkers recently completed in Kaliningrad. In early June, a detachment of two (2) A-50 Mainstay airborne control aircraft began to operate out of Santa Clara.

In early June life in the United States was beginning to approach something of normalcy as the virus’s infectious peak shifted to the Southern Hemisphere. Now DIA and CIA attention began to focus on the growing Russian-Cuban relations. On June 11-12th an S400 Regiment was airlifted to Santa Clara Air Base and deployed north of the airbase by the 15th. A second S400 Regiment was deployed near Habana over the American 4th of July holiday. This was brought to the White House’s attention in mid-July and inquiries were made to (and denied by) the Russian Embassy.

Quietly over the Spring Russian labs had developed a vaccine for COVID-19 but it was kept as a “State Secret.” By mid-summer enough vaccine was prepared for the leaders, key units of the Strategic Rocket forces and other vital units forward deployed to the Crimea, Kaliningrad and Cuba. Steadily, these forces were inoculated under the cover of other routine medical procedures and it was completed just in time as conditions in the Southern Hemisphere were rapidly changing. While COVID-19 mainly attacked older, weakened individuals a mutated strain began to emerge near Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. This strain attacked military age individuals, and while COVID-19’s mortality was between 2 to 3 percent, this new strain exhibited a shocking 15 to 20 percent mortality. On July 20th the World Health Organization (WHO) declared this new strain would be known as COVID-20 and despite quarantine the virus broke containment in late July and was soon spreading worldwide.

By early August this new, frightening strain was sweeping across the United States including the vital intelligence agencies. As the novel virus strain struck Russian forces it was found the vaccine didn’t provide complete immunity but it did reduce its impacts by providing some immunity from its most dangerous impacts. This was not true for American units, once struck 25 to 30 percent of the units were quickly put out of action. Maintenance fell by the wayside, valuable pilots and elite troops were incapacitated or even succumbed to the virus. By September some squadrons were only at 40 to 50 percent operational strength and many “composite squadrons” were forming Ad Hoc at their bases.

In mid-August Russian antishipping missiles took up position along the Florida Straits. Between 15 to 25 September, as chaos reigned in American and European cities, several Russian ships docked in Cuban ports disgorging Intermediate Range Cruise Missiles and their Transporter-Erector-Launchers (TELs). Satellite imagery took several days to analyze, due to the virus, but by October 3rd it was obvious that Iskandar missiles were being positioned in Cuba. The clock had been turned back 58 years! President Trump immediately demanded the removal of the missiles, with President Putin countering they would only be removed in exchange for the Baltic States leaving the NATO alliance and the removal of all American forces from Poland.

As the Russian missiles were hastily forward deployed to their new bunkers and launch sites, weakened American USAF, USN and USMC squadrons forward deployed to southeastern bases and airports. Several deployed naval units began to move to the Southwest Atlantic as scratch crews were put together to allow an LCS and two DDGs, from NAVSURFRON14, to prepare to deploy to Cuba.

On the Evening of October 4th President Trump delivered an ultimatum to President Putin, he had 24 hours to remove the cruise missiles or American forces would do so. The world teetered on a knife’s edge…

were nuclear weapons in Cuba once again?
If so, would they be used?
Could they be stopped?

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 11/26/2021 11:56:31 AM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/20/2020 2:32:08 AM   
BeirutDude

OK, found a problem. Moody AFB magazines are loaded but show zero load outs? Trying to fix.

EDIT: Found the issue, I somehow deleted an ECM POD that is in common usage on all load outs! OOOPS!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/20/2020 7:19:07 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/20/2020 7:17:32 PM   
BeirutDude

Doing some more play testing myself, and am going to add at least one Patriot Bn and possibly a THAAD Bn to Central/South Florida.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/22/2020 7:42:59 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 10:49:18 AM   
Selchu

Downloaded, Will have a gander later

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 5:26:39 PM   
BeirutDude

Thanks!

(in reply to Selchu)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 6:34:20 PM   
BeirutDude

I discovered the E-3Gs at Orlando Executive Airport were a bad idea, runway too short. Moved them to Sarasota Intl.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 8:20:01 PM   
AndrewJ

Looks at aircraft loadouts at Whiteman AFB.
Ohhh, crap...

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 8:59:49 PM   
BeirutDude

Only the second scenario I have designed with the possible use of nukes. As I have said before, I don't like them but in this scenario. "Oh Crap..."

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 9:46:23 PM   
BeirutDude

Initial Set Up/Missions. An E-3G Sentry is headed toward it;s south Florida Patrol Area

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 9:51:53 PM   
BeirutDude

Hostile Cuban patrol boats/submarine and a Cuban frigate (Scratch built from a trawler, which Spain did for the Cubans in he 1980s) come out to challenge the USCG and a lone USN Tempest PC in the Florida Straits.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 10:06:59 PM   
BeirutDude

An Emergency Action Message (EAM) has been received...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/21/2020 10:07:11 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 10:59:35 PM   
BeirutDude

Cuban boats are trailing the USN PC Tempest and USCG Cutter Hamilton!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/21/2020 11:00:08 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 11:18:03 PM   
BeirutDude

Action heating up over the Straits as the NAS Key West Aggressor Squadron's F-5 tangle with some MiGs. Tempers are rising!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/21/2020 11:19:48 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 11:48:21 PM   
Excroat3

Starting this one now!

The E-3s at Orlando Executive do not have enough runway to take off, so they are stuck.
What is my ROE on repositioning aircraft? I know it's probably discouraged due to the virus, but I was thinking about moving the E-3s at Tinker to somewhere in florida, as well as consolidating all of the F-18s at a single airbase. Would this be allowed, or considered "cheating" in the scenario?

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 11:51:00 PM   
BeirutDude

You're in Command, your choice.

Already moved the E-3Gs to Sarasota but that will be in the next version.

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/21/2020 11:57:03 PM   
BeirutDude

BTW, I'm ferrying the A-10s to Fort Lauderdale Intl right now.

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 12:08:43 AM   
crazydunc

BeirutDude

Can't seem to get the 18th ARS jets at Gainsville to Launch, the runway is a little on the short side I believe.

MS-29 is radiating with Radar when snorkelling as well, don't know if that's intentional!

Interesting premise, I like it so far :)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 12:09:27 AM   
BeirutDude

B52H's, with nuclear payloads, winging toward their "Failsafe" holding box!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 12:21:28 AM   
BeirutDude

May have to tweak the mission timing in the EAMs.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 12:22:31 AM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Can't seem to get the 18th ARS jets at Gainsville to Launch, the runway is a little on the short side I believe.

Thanks! I will check on the runway and move them to a longer runway. Maybe Fort Lauderdale Intl or Palm Beach Intl.

quote:

MS-29 is radiating with Radar when snorkelling as well, don't know if that's intentional!

NO! Thank you!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/22/2020 1:33:48 AM >

(in reply to crazydunc)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 1:36:10 AM   
crazydunc

No Worries!

I didn't get any further EAMs or scenario end remarks after 6th at 1416 z. Unsure if that is correct?

I think... I have killed all the targets. Currently running Global Hawks below the cloud deck to confirm.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 21
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 1:45:21 AM   
BeirutDude

Both problems you pointed out should be fixed (along with a few that cropped up for me). Be in version 3 hen I post it. Thanks!

(in reply to crazydunc)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 1:46:50 AM   
crazydunc

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Both problems you pointed out should be fixed (along with a few that cropped up for me). Be in version 3 hen I post it. Thanks!

quote:

Awesome, very much enjoyed it, will look out for v3!

Dunc

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 1:48:27 AM   
BeirutDude

Last EAM is then, what time did you launch your attack?

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 3/22/2020 1:49:21 AM >

(in reply to crazydunc)
Post #: 24
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 1:51:20 AM   
BeirutDude

Curious, what time did you launch your attack and did you use nukes?

(in reply to crazydunc)
Post #: 25
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 3:39:34 AM   
Excroat3

Also just completed the scenario. Very fast and furious, I liked it! Here's my comments

Kinda frustrating that you are ordered to launch your attacks 2 hours before your bombers are ready, but I ended up not using them anyways. If you were to add a timer (EDIT: you do have a timer there! Didn't see that. In this case, maybe then add a message saying that they will fire after being provoked or something?) between the time you are supposed to launch your attacks and the missiles actually firing, this could dissuade the player from waiting until their bombers are ready.

Tomahawks are your best friend! Launching all 154 from the Ohio, as well as around 90 from the destroyers, I was able to take out every target of note (including airport runways) on the island. F-16 HARM strikes at low level, coupled with Growlers and F-35s jamming up top, left the S-400s with little to no reaction time, and the rest of the SAMs were also mopped up in short order by either more Tomahawks or SDBs.

I never used half the F-22s, the F/A-18Cs, the A-10s, or any of the bombers. If you want to make it more challenging, I would recommend removing some of these (or just giving me less tomahawks). As it stands, you can simply run the S-400s out of missiles and move in, but who's to say that not the US's actual plan when it comes to dealing with this SAM?

I liked the EAM's and the build up of tension. However, I never got a message once my objectives were complete. I also would have appreciated a message when the time came to execute the strike, just to remind the player that it's go time.

Overall, I had a ton of fun with this one. You are highly rewarded as long as you can keep the Russians and Cubans unaware of your intentions until the last second, otherwise you are in for a tough time! It encourages players to plan and work on their TOT skills. Great work!

< Message edited by Excroat3 -- 3/22/2020 4:00:31 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 26
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 9:41:47 AM   
crazydunc

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Curious, what time did you launch your attack and did you use nukes?

Sorry for the delay, I actually went to bed for once!

I launched late, at 0200 to make use of my Bombers. I never got Authorisation for Nukes, and I didn't see Targets launch anything at all.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 27
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 3:21:31 PM   
BeirutDude

Thanks! Going to take Excroat3's advice and eliminate some U.S. assets. The best part of this one, unlike what I do in other scenarios, all of the units don't have a VP value, only High value targets so it allows me to adjust it without affecting the VP calculations.

(in reply to crazydunc)
Post #: 28
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 3:39:55 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Also just completed the scenario. Very fast and furious, I liked it! Here's my comments

Thank you for your help!

quote:

Kinda frustrating that you are ordered to launch your attacks 2 hours before your bombers are ready, but I ended up not using them anyways.

Yeah, I'm going to fix that timing in the message traffic.

quote:

If you were to add a timer (EDIT: you do have a timer there! Didn't see that. In this case, maybe then add a message saying that they will fire after being provoked or something?) between the time you are supposed to launch your attacks and the missiles actually firing, this could dissuade the player from waiting until their bombers are ready.

I can add more meat in this area of the scenario maybe add more randomness to potential Russian missile launch.

quote:

Tomahawks are your best friend! Launching all 154 from the Ohio, as well as around 90 from the destroyers, I was able to take out every target of note (including airport runways) on the island. F-16 HARM strikes at low level, coupled with Growlers and F-35s jamming up top, left the S-400s with little to no reaction time, and the rest of the SAMs were also mopped up in short order by either more Tomahawks or SDBs.

Over saturating the defense was one strategy I looked at and I I actually did it myself in play testing. That said, even though the U.S. likely will have them available in a real world scenario, I am going to eliminate the USS Georgia to make the scenario more challenging. That takes 154 Tomahawks out of the mix.

quote:

I never used half the F-22s, the F/A-18Cs, the A-10s, or any of the bombers. If you want to make it more challenging, I would recommend removing some of these (or just giving me less tomahawks). As it stands, you can simply run the S-400s out of missiles and move in, but who's to say that not the US's actual plan when it comes to dealing with this SAM?

quote:

(or just giving me less tomahawks)

OR BOTH! Will pair back a bit on the aircraft as well and if things swing too far to the Cuba/Russia side can add some back in.

quote:

but who's to say that not the US's actual plan when it comes to dealing with this SAM?

Think that is what the ADM-141A/B/C TALDs and ADM-160 MALDs are for!

quote:

I liked the EAM's and the build up of tension. However, I never got a message once my objectives were complete. I also would have appreciated a message when the time came to execute the strike, just to remind the player that it's go time.

Will add more EAMs

quote:

Overall, I had a ton of fun with this one. You are highly rewarded as long as you can keep the Russians and Cubans unaware of your intentions until the last second, otherwise you are in for a tough time! It encourages players to plan and work on their TOT skills. Great work!

Glad you enjoyed it and think we will make it better here.

Al

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 29
RE: Scenario for Play Test:The Missiles of October Part... - 3/22/2020 7:42:13 PM   
BeirutDude

Changed just about everything in the list. Will post after I check some of the changes out. Made the potential Russian missile launch more potential with more opportunities for it to happen. 2 chances of 5% and 14 of 10%.

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Submitted: The Missiles of October Part Deux, 2020 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI