Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:26:50 AM   
RangerJoe

China Supplied Faulty Coronavirus Test Kits to Spain, Czech Republic

quote:

The majority of rapid test coronavirus test kits supplied by China to Spain and the Czech Republic are faulty, local news outlets reported.

Up to 80 percent of the 150,000 portable, quick coronavirus test kits China delivered to the Czech Republic earlier this month were faulty, according to local Czech news site Expats.cz. The tests can produce a result in 10 or 15 minutes but are usually less accurate than other tests. Because of the high error rate, the country will continue to rely on conventional laboratory tests, of which they perform about 900 a day.

The country’s Health Ministry paid $546,000 for 100,000 of the test kits, while the Interior Ministry paid for the other 50,000.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-supplied-faulty-coronavirus-test-162306412.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cDovL20uZmFjZWJvb2suY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAM7wUu-Al-3mVHtTp1MTmL8xk-rM5qU85Tqlv62UUYe8sDGgJeGNkqrn-WC2ChS4UXVZX2VDwYoJFpsgtnv9pSkjpQRqX8FJedhGip5mqXbd1CSdtcpbhkO8_3nEijoFTFIATsgYTOQWGgQfJ50Aq6m9kpjc8AkGOgh-eQHdU6Op&guccounter=2

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2281
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:30:19 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

And now some more tragic news about this pandemic. Some idiot floated the idea that you can cure the virus by drinking methanol ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/nearly-500-people-dead-in-iran-after-drinking-methanol-to-fight-off-covid-19-1.4870674

I've been using the Alex Jones toothpaste that kills the coronavirus. So far I seem to be symptom-free...

(the above is totally tongue-in-cheek)

So you have to have your tongue pressed against your cheek while brushing for AJ's toothpaste to work? Seems very awkward ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 2282
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:32:49 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Meanwhile the now prolific testing program in the States is giving a much more clear picture that this is developing everywhere, and each state will soon have some of the problems NY is facing.

I've not been an optimist in this discussion, and yet I'm looking for good news anywhere I can find it right now. Anyone got any?

Yes. Boris Johnson and his Health Minister both have the virus! They are doing their part for herd immunity. What's wrong with the rest of you laggards?!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2283
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:59:54 AM   
BBfanboy

Another cruise ship/viral lab experiment. This one is anchored off the coast of Panama. Another ship from the same cruise line is providing assistance bringing in medical support and food.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/four-dead-138-sick-on-holland-americas-ms-zaandam-cruise-in-limbo-amid-coronavirus-crisis/ar-BB11NTbI

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2284
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:24:59 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

By the way, what does 'mandatory detention' mean? Armed guards, drop bears and concertina wire or more like self-recognizance?

We have had self administered quarantine at home for returning travelers for a few weeks, but now it has been escalated. The government is hiring entire hotels and people arriving in country will be in supervised lock-down to make sure they remain isolated.

Edit: I tried to insert a graphic here that shows how many cases in the country are overseas acquired, and how many local cases are confirmed from contacts with overseas acquired cases. It is 70-80% of all cases. The image location isn't working, I'll try and sort that out.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 3/28/2020 4:31:55 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2285
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:33:18 AM   
Ian R

< Message edited by Ian R -- 3/28/2020 4:35:08 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2286
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:38:47 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Another cruise ship/viral lab experiment. This one is anchored off the coast of Panama. Another ship from the same cruise line is providing assistance bringing in medical support and food.

The four cruise ships that were allowed to dock here have all done so, with a spike in cases. Hopefully we are seeing a downward trend.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2287
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 9:29:58 AM   
Banzan

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

I'm curious if Germany was just really on the ball with early detections, as I'm starting to get concerned seeing their daily new deaths accelerate pretty quickly :(

Many germans are not that happy with our government. Our federalism makes many things quite difficult when fast actions are needed. For example, our minister of health wanted to stop puplic meetings like sport events or to be held without audience early on. But he could only offer advice, the decision were going down to mayors or district administrators. Then, for any kind of lockdowns/isolation the decisions are made by the federal states and there you get a lot of politics involved.

Many experts here expect a critical condition (triage decisions in hospitals) by mid April. Keep in mind the basic math is simple: Only 50% of the emergency beds can be used for covid-19 cases, around 5% of the infected people need these and the average occupancy is one week.
Thats also why Germany is taking ill people from other countrys like France and Italy. Those cases won't need the beds anymore by the time we may need them for ourself.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2288
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 9:30:04 AM   
Ian R

Update - spoke to soon - new daily cases spiked to the highest number yet.

"As at 3:00pm on 28 March 2020, there have been 3,635 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 469 new cases since 3:00pm yesterday."

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2289
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 10:41:20 AM   
MakeeLearn

Over 80,000 Americans Died of Flu Last Winter, Highest Toll in Years

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/health/flu-deaths-vaccine.html

"Among the dead were 180 babies, children and teenagers, more than in any year since the C.D.C. began tracking pediatric deaths."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2290
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:13:42 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

"the person"

I presume that does not mean Mr Chou who sold the bat-**** covered pangolin burgers at the Wuhan wet market? Or Mr. Liu who scraped the thing off the road with a shovel?

How is the CIA supposed to spot a couple of guys with fever and cough in the middle of the influenza season?

I realize you may be angry and I grieve for New York but let's get real.

Soup du jou

Image removed

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/2/2020 12:05:49 AM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2291
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:20:52 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Pangolin veal parmigiana!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2292
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:56:04 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

"the person"

I presume that does not mean Mr Chou who sold the bat-**** covered pangolin burgers at the Wuhan wet market? Or Mr. Liu who scraped the thing off the road with a shovel?

How is the CIA supposed to spot a couple of guys with fever and cough in the middle of the influenza season?

Soup du jou

Maybe a link with no posted pictures next time?

Very visual here. I'm still trying to get the image of bat soup out of my mind.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2293
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 12:03:12 PM   
Olorin

I did not need to see this.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2294
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 12:09:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The country tracker.

Obvert, can you provide a link/source for an updated map? One with the different US states would be particularly welcome.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2295
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 12:28:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Edit: I tried to insert a graphic here that shows how many cases in the country are overseas acquired, and how many local cases are confirmed from contacts with overseas acquired cases. It is 70-80% of all cases. The image location isn't working, I'll try and sort that out.

At one point, 100.0% of our infections here were acquired overseas. Same with everybody ex-China. If Australia follows other countries, there will be community spread that will become the entirety of novel cases. So, do what you can to reduce overseas spread (e.g., quarantine) whilest simultaneously girding for the inevitable community spread.

On a related note, Ian-haven't heard much out of EnZed. How're things there relative to COVID-19?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2296
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 12:40:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

"the person"

Soup du jou

warspite1

Mmmmm... Dysentery on a plate... nice....

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/2/2020 12:05:15 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2297
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:07:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I don't know if this is hype or they really have this kind of cellphone location information. I half-imagined the NSA does stuff like this...but a private company?

https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/status/1242628347034767361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Ftech%2Fcellphone-heat-map-coronavirus-potential-spread-from-travel

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2298
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:14:36 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

The country tracker.

Obvert, can you provide a link/source for an updated map? One with the different US states would be particularly welcome.

These are all from the Financial Times. I haven't seen them do a US state graphic yet.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2299
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:21:41 PM   
obvert

quote:

I don't know if this is hype or they really have this kind of cellphone location information. I half-imagined the NSA does stuff like this...but a private company?

https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/status/1242628347034767361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Ftech%2Fcellphone-heat-map-coronavirus-potential-spread-from-travel

This is wild. Here is the shot of where one beach worth of Spring break revellers went after defying social distancing rules in Fort Lauderdale. I just saw an article about a number of the Tampa Bay revellers interviewed on CBS that have now tested positive for Covid.

This is the company that provides the service.
https://www.tectonix.com

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2300
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:23:54 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

quote:

quote:

The country tracker.

These are all from the Financial Times. I haven't seen them do a US state graphic yet.

US looks bad. I wonder how much better it would look if NY was excluded!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2301
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:24:11 PM   
obvert

This one has a few states as a larger global region comparison.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2302
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:26:02 PM   
Chickenboy

Pretty cool stuff. I saw that video a couple of days ago. Of course, I'd like to see the same tracking geodata from phones in Wuhan between December and February too.

Post #: 2303
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:26:03 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

Here's a snapshot of the rural county in Florida where I live

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 2304
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:26:54 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

Here's Dade County (Miami) -

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2305
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:26:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

You know, I am pretty sure that is a pangolin fetus in the soup.

Angry yet? Turns out the Chinese ATE all their pangolins so they smuggle them in from Myanmar

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2351989415300342

Study in Nature suggests pangolin may be an intermediate or additional mammalian host. There may be another vector or "amplification" species involved. What is known that the greatest sequence homology between SARS-2 and other known Betacoronaviruses is with horseshoe bat and pangolin strains.

For SARS-1 it was civet and bat.

I would wager not one in this forum could sneak in a half-eaten candy bar into China but somehow live pangolin are backpacked in from Myanmar over mountains and jungles with no roads.

Post #: 2306
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:29:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

quote:

quote:

The country tracker.

US looks bad. I wonder how much better it would look if NY was excluded!

Someone posted a source graph a few days ago that separated out Washington, California and NY State relative to the country on the whole. New York was a real eye popping standout and distorted the national curve. The graph also broke out different regions in Italy and Spain, which were differentially affected.

Post #: 2307
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:29:56 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

This is wild. Here is the shot of where one beach worth of Spring break revellers went after defying social distancing rules in Fort Lauderdale. I just saw an article about a number of the Tampa Bay revellers interviewed on CBS that have now tested positive for Covid.

The cellphones send out a "ping" when it is on to let the carrier know which tower is closer. That is probably what this map shows. If the user goes into a building where the phone can't access the network, it will keep trying, draining the battery.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2308
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:31:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Pretty cool stuff. I saw that video a couple of days ago. Of course, I'd like to see the same tracking geodata from phones in Wuhan between December and February too.

Yes, was just thinking the same thing. The NSA has a giant air conditioned server farm in Utah with about a gazillion Terabytes of data storage. I think cell phone metadata is their main hobby. Of course, in the case of China you would need to sniff the data from about 100 miles up

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2309
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:34:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

The cellphones send out a "ping" when it is on to let the carrier know which tower is closer. That is probably what this map shows. If the user goes into a building where the phone can't access the network, it will keep trying, draining the battery.

Right...but how does Tectonix get the data? Presumably from the cellphone companies. That is the creepy part. Did you see him outline just the beach itself in Miami?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/28/2020 1:35:37 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2310
Page:   <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI