Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:34:40 PM   
Chickenboy

Looking at the world case map, it appears that Chinese-occupied Tibet has a grand total of one case. Anyone believe that? I wonder what the Xinjiang concentration...erm...re-education centers are like with this thing rolling through them. COVID-19 has got to be murderous on that population.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2311
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:47:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

By report 21 million Chinese cellphone accounts were closed since mid January.

Maybe 21 million people forgot to pay their bill? Or....they had their accounts suspended by the Chicoms for sharing "rumors".

I wouldn't trust Chinese state media with the Beijing weather report. But this a great time to get some discounts on Chinese-made 5G systems!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2312
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:49:11 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

I don't know if this is hype or they really have this kind of cellphone location information. I half-imagined the NSA does stuff like this...but a private company?

https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/status/1242628347034767361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Ftech%2Fcellphone-heat-map-coronavirus-potential-spread-from-travel

This is wild. Here is the shot of where one beach worth of Spring break revellers went after defying social distancing rules in Fort Lauderdale. I just saw an article about a number of the Tampa Bay revellers interviewed on CBS that have now tested positive for Covid.

This is the company that provides the service.
https://www.tectonix.com

The cellphones send out a "ping" when it is on to let the carrier know which tower is closer. That is probably what this map shows. If the user goes into a building where the phone can't access the network, it will keep trying, draining the battery.

Right...but how does Tectonix get the data? Presumably from the cellphone companies. That is the creepy part. Did you see him outline just the beach itself in Miami?

Useful information for the state and local authorities to ask those people to self quarantine. I might have been better to keep the colleges open. Keep those young people concentrating on their schoolwork . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 2313
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:52:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I strongly suspect that gastroenterologists are paid by the NSA to "chip" us when we "volunteer" for a colonoscopy. That's why they want you to come back in 5 years because the battery wears out.

Post #: 2314
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 1:59:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I might have been better to keep the colleges open. Keep those young people concentrating on their schoolwork . . .

Concentrate on schoolwork at college? Riiiigght....

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2315
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 2:13:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I might have been better to keep the colleges open. Keep those young people concentrating on their schoolwork . . .

<says a silent prayer the damn thing is not sexually transmitted>

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2316
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 2:34:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do you think that the "social distancing" means?

― Julia Child

Post #: 2317
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 2:38:24 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

I strongly suspect that gastroenterologists are paid by the NSA to "chip" us when we "volunteer" for a colonoscopy. That's why they want you to come back in 5 years because the battery wears out.

Not that I saw. Although they did sedate me too much after the last one. Next time, I want to get a statement signed by the doctor stating that I am not full of it. Large pictures to show as well.

The nice thing is, they actually want people to pass a lot of gas afterward. Especially before you eat or it will come out jet propelled!

― Julia Child

Post #: 2318
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 2:50:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know if this is hype or they really have this kind of cellphone location information. I half-imagined the NSA does stuff like this...but a private company?

https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/status/1242628347034767361?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Ftech%2Fcellphone-heat-map-coronavirus-potential-spread-from-travel

This is wild. Here is the shot of where one beach worth of Spring break revellers went after defying social distancing rules in Fort Lauderdale. I just saw an article about a number of the Tampa Bay revellers interviewed on CBS that have now tested positive for Covid.

This is the company that provides the service.
https://www.tectonix.com

The cellphones send out a "ping" when it is on to let the carrier know which tower is closer. That is probably what this map shows. If the user goes into a building where the phone can't access the network, it will keep trying, draining the battery.

Right...but how does Tectonix get the data? Presumably from the cellphone companies. That is the creepy part. Did you see him outline just the beach itself in Miami?

All they need to do is plot the towers and add the number of cell phones saying that is the closest tower. Towers in high-use areas are not far apart. If different cell networks are plotted they can be mere hundreds of feet apart.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2319
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 2:55:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
All they need to do is plot the towers and add the number of cell phones saying that is the closest tower. Towers in high-use areas are not far apart. If different cell networks are plotted they can be mere hundreds of feet apart.

This data looks more granular than that to me. Not so much as a 'tower ping' as geospatial GPS coordinate data.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2320
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 2:58:34 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do you think college-aged kids that are maybe a little scared, cooped up on (or off) campus and facing existential threats are more likely to do? And did I mention horny?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2321
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 3:01:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Yes, about time for the CDC to put out a public education campaign on whacking off.

They could use Anthony Weiner as the spokesperson.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2322
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 3:02:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Yes, about time for the CDC to put out a public education campaign on whacking off.

They could use Anthony Weiner as the spokesperson.

But with some cautions about sharing the experience online ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2323
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 3:26:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Maybe 21 million people forgot to pay their bill? Or....they had their accounts suspended by the Chicoms for sharing "rumors".

I wouldn't trust Chinese state media with the Beijing weather report. But this a great time to get some discounts on Chinese-made 5G systems!

Do you have a link to a news item on that so I can share it with others?

Post #: 2324
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 3:54:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Do you have a link to a news item on that so I can share it with others?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/china-s-mobile-carriers-lose-15-million-users-as-virus-bites

Bloomberg says 15 million but I also saw a figure of 21 million. Either way it seems like a big number to me.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2325
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:00:40 PM   
witpqs

Thanks.

Post #: 2326
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:02:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Bloomberg postulate it was migrant workers who cancelled their plan when they went home after their plant shut down.

Perhaps...it is a Hell of a big place..but considering what they did to medical personnel trying to report the epidemic and the control they exercise over social media and even automated AI software systems spying on internet users...you have to be careful. Also consider the Beijing swamp-dwellers might even find themselves detached from their necks if it were to get bad enough.

Post #: 2327
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:48:04 PM   
RFalvo69

First signs of social disruption in Southern Italy.

All started when the lockdown of Lombardy was leaked to the press hours before it became official. At once, hundreds of people fled in the middle of the night by rushing to catch the last trains to the South. What we are now seeing there are the outbreaks caused by these idio... er... "human-bombs". We feared from the first moment that this could happen.

Now, a leaked report by the Italian Intelligence Services warns about "the danger of moderate to severe social disruption in Southern Italy".

The key problem is simple: the lack of an adequate infrastructure. Not only hospitals, but banks, post offices and other "daily needs" services. Lombardy has one of the best infrastructures in Europe, and the Coronavirus sent it to its knees. Also, people are more wealthy in Lombardy, with more savings. With a lockdown like the one seen here, people in the South risk to spend all their savings and not be able to buy anything. This means that the situation in the South seriously risks to become ebullient.

The first signs are reports of people literally attacking groceries (that, due to the crisis can't provide everything) because they don't believe that there are shortages, supermarkets and even closed banks - which is amazing: videos of of people hammering the bulletproof glass and screaming obscenities (this one is from Bari, the two strongest screams you hear say "I have no more money!! How can I buy what I need?" and "Please, I don't have anything to eat!!")

Right now we can only wait. I chat via Skype with my wife every day, and she is very worried. Then I see this (in Italian). Basically: "We are already not ready. We were already creaking under normal circumstances (*) - now imagine with the Coronavirus"

But it gets better! Our local bank is opened only on Wednesday and Friday, and from 9:30 to 13:30 (way to create crowds of people and throwing social distance under the bus). I told my wife to avoid the bank altogether, use home banking and wait for some decrees that forces banks to stay open for other operations.

Only time will tell how much disruption the virus will cause. I fear it will be bad. The government must show strength - also because be sure that were the government fails, the Mafia will fill the void.

(*) Just an example. In Milan if you have an emergency you can get an ambulance within 15 minutes - or, for less serious cases, call it like you could call a cab and get one within 30-40 minutes. A few years ago, back in Calabria, my father fell from a ladder while checking some wine bottles. He wounded his head, so he was losing a lot of blood. We called an ambulance, and, after a long wait, the operator told me that one was arriving from Catanzaro. Check a map and look for Lamezia: Catanzaro is on the other side of the Apennine Mountains. We were actually able to stabilise my father before the ambulance arrived - and then, of course, they had to return to Catanzaro, where my father was admitted in a local hospital. Now upscale this to a Coronavirus-level Emergency...

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2328
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 4:55:21 PM   
USSAmerica

Thank you for continuing to provide us updates, RFalvo, even if they are not good news. I hope you and your family in both ends of the country are able to stay safe and healthy.

I'm afraid we will see areas of the type of chaos you describe here in the US. Hopefully, only limited to a very few areas.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2329
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 5:15:17 PM   
Chickenboy

Sorry to hear that, RFalvo69.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 3/28/2020 5:18:37 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 2330
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 5:19:33 PM   
Chickenboy

A little levity for Zilch in this difficult time...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2331
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 5:24:51 PM   
Zorch

quote:

A little levity for Zilch in this difficult time...

I see. You should speak with Mr. Ertz, a native of Texas, about a certain end-of-season game.
And how are negotiations with Dak going?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2332
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 5:40:42 PM   
Chickenboy

RFalvo69,

If I recall correctly, Italy has received a disproportionately large percentage of the African continent migrants in recent years.

I've wondered how a group like that-probably not really well integrated into Italian culture yet-coming from great poverty would fare in times like this. What do you hear about any disparate preparation levels between the 'locals' and these newer arrivals?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2333
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 5:50:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

First signs of social disruption in Southern Italy.

All started when the lockdown of Lombardy was leaked to the press hours before it became official. At once, hundreds of people fled in the middle of the night by rushing to catch the last trains to the South. What we are now seeing there are the outbreaks caused by these idio... er... "human-bombs". We feared from the first moment that this could happen.

Now, a leaked report by the Italian Intelligence Services warns about "the danger of moderate to severe social disruption in Southern Italy".

The key problem is simple: the lack of an adequate infrastructure. Not only hospitals, but banks, post offices and other "daily needs" services. Lombardy has one of the best infrastructures in Europe, and the Coronavirus sent it to its knees. Also, people are more wealthy in Lombardy, with more savings. With a lockdown like the one seen here, people in the South risk to spend all their savings and not be able to buy anything. This means that the situation in the South seriously risks to become ebullient.

The first signs are reports of people literally attacking groceries (that, due to the crisis can't provide everything) because they don't believe that there are shortages, supermarkets and even closed banks - which is amazing: videos of of people hammering the bulletproof glass and screaming obscenities (this one is from Bari, the two strongest screams you hear say "I have no more money!! How can I buy what I need?" and "Please, I don't have anything to eat!!")

Right now we can only wait. I chat via Skype with my wife every day, and she is very worried. Then I see this (in Italian). Basically: "We are already not ready. We were already creaking under normal circumstances (*) - now imagine with the Coronavirus"

But it gets better! Our local bank is opened only on Wednesday and Friday, and from 9:30 to 13:30 (way to create crowds of people and throwing social distance under the bus). I told my wife to avoid the bank altogether, use home banking and wait for some decrees that forces banks to stay open for other operations.

Only time will tell how much disruption the virus will cause. I fear it will be bad. The government must show strength - also because be sure that were the government fails, the Mafia will fill the void.

(*) Just an example. In Milan if you have an emergency you can get an ambulance within 15 minutes - or, for less serious cases, call it like you could call a cab and get one within 30-40 minutes. A few years ago, back in Calabria, my father fell from a ladder while checking some wine bottles. He wounded his head, so he was losing a lot of blood. We called an ambulance, and, after a long wait, the operator told me that one was arriving from Catanzaro. Check a map and look for Lamezia: Catanzaro is on the other side of the Apennine Mountains. We were actually able to stabilise my father before the ambulance arrived - and then, of course, they had to return to Catanzaro, where my father was admitted in a local hospital. Now upscale this to a Coronavirus-level Emergency...

Are the banks running out of cash? Are they just protecting their employees? Are electronic banking systems failing? That doesn't sound good.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2334
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 5:59:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

RFalvo69,

If I recall correctly, Italy has received a disproportionately large percentage of the African continent migrants in recent years.

I've wondered how a group like that-probably not really well integrated into Italian culture yet-coming from great poverty would fare in times like this. What do you hear about any disparate preparation levels between the 'locals' and these newer arrivals?

My understanding is that once they gained refugee status in Italy, most would head for Germany, Belgium, Holland and France because of the large enclaves already there. Never heard of unrest between refugees and Italian locals on the news.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2335
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 6:07:16 PM   
witpqs

This is just an update on a possibility that's being discussed already.

Coronavirus cure: French researchers completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19

Question for those in the know: I understand that Hydroxychloroquine is said to be plentiful/easy to manufacture, but how about obtaining Azithromycin? I know it's used a bunch, but how are stockpiles and how easy to manufacture if they wind up needed a great deal of it?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2336
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 6:13:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

This is just an update on a possibility that's being discussed already.

Coronavirus cure: French researchers completed new additional study on 80 patients, results show a combination of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin to be effective in treating COVID-19

Question for those in the know: I understand that Hydroxychloroquine is said to be plentiful/easy to manufacture, but how about obtaining Azithromycin? I know it's used a bunch, but how are stockpiles and how easy to manufacture if they wind up needed a great deal of it?

Alot easier to manufacture than some of the anti-virals per se (e.g., Remdesivir). Dunno about stockpiles.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2337
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 7:06:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do you think college-aged kids that are maybe a little scared, cooped up on (or off) campus and facing existential threats are more likely to do? And did I mention horny?

The other issue is that there is now a worldwide condom shortage!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/global-condom-shortage-coronavirus-shuts-down-production

Malaysia’s Karex Bhd makes one in every five condoms globally. It has not produced a single condom in its three Malaysian factories for more than a week because of a lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus.

That is already a shortfall of 100m condoms, normally marketed internationally by brands such as Durex, supplied to state healthcare systems such as Britain’s NHS or distributed by aid programmes such as the UN Population Fund.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/28/2020 8:55:08 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2338
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 7:09:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/global-condom-shortage-coronavirus-shuts-down-production

Malaysia is the largest producer, and apparently they're shutting down a lot now.
warspite1

A major problem for a an international lover like my good self

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2339
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 7:36:33 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Malaysia is the largest producer, and apparently they're shutting down a lot now.
warspite1

A major problem for a an international lover like my good self

And condoms will protect your head from the COVID-19 so of course there's a shortage... It's a guy thing.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2340
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI