Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Vietnamese AD System

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Vietnamese AD System Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Vietname... - 3/30/2020 4:06:41 AM   
Texashawk

I have been attempting the Chains of War scenario 'God of War' on C:MO over the last week or so and I have come to a standstill after about my twelfth time attempting it. The issues stems from some apparently divine knowledge that the Viet have regarding air detection. I have been trying to follow the advice in the COW subforum for this scenario, but those were apparently using the older C:MANO engine and I'm not sure if the advice is still valid or if something just got borked between the two engines. Some examples:

1) My Chinese Predator equivalent was detected and shot down 35 miles from the nearest airbase - it was flying at night, with no radiating sensors, just above ground level, through canyons. Normally flying recon UAVs like this will allow you to get within 5-10 miles in every other scenario I've played, but I have never managed to get a UAV closer than about 25 miles from an airbase in GOW.

2) Cruise missiles are detected and shot down without mercy - I can usually take out one or two Viet radars in the extreme northeast corner, but beyond that they are shot down (by SU-30's no less!) This is regardless of being land launched or air launched, with waypoints set to minimize the amount of time in the detection zone.

3) My ELINT planes are detected without fail, even though they are stationed 90-100 miles off the coast of Vietnam, and trigger a ton of planes to lift off when they do. They are not radiating at any point.

4) J-20's (the Chinese stealth fighters) might as well be Boeing 747s for all the good their stealth seems to give them. I realize that stealth aircraft are not invisible, but they are routinely detected 50-60 miles from a EW radar site in Vietnam. I have tried flying them high and flying them just above the terrain, flying singleton wings and 2-plane wings; it doesn't seem to matter - apparently they're the worst kept secret in the Orient.

I could go on, but these are the most egregious examples. Even after killing most of their EW radars (at significant cost except for the coastal-based radars) their AD ability doesn't seem to be degraded much at all. And the S-300s lurking with full knowledge of any plane entering their attack radius are basically a kill code. I don't want to have to resort to cheese tactics like pulling my planes in and out to get them to fire missiles and waste their reserves - I could do that but I'd prefer to win with tactics and strategy, not an exploit.

Help?

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Post #: 1
RE: The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Viet... - 3/31/2020 4:04:58 PM   
KungPao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

4) J-20's (the Chinese stealth fighters) might as well be Boeing 747s for all the good their stealth seems to give them. I realize that stealth aircraft are not invisible, but they are routinely detected 50-60 miles from a EW radar site in Vietnam. I have tried flying them high and flying them just above the terrain, flying singleton wings and 2-plane wings; it doesn't seem to matter - apparently they're the worst kept secret in the Orient.

The J-20's defult loadout in this scenario is "Long-Range". They are loading with drop tanks, that increase the RCS. It could double the detection range.

also, please see my post here
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4371724&mpage=1&key=�

be careful about those EW and SA-2 radars.

< Message edited by KungPao -- 3/31/2020 4:06:21 PM >

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 2
RE: The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Viet... - 4/1/2020 6:44:14 AM   
Texashawk

quote:

ORIGINAL: KungPao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

The J-20's defult loadout in this scenario is "Long-Range". They are loading with drop tanks, that increase the RCS. It could double the detection range.

also, please see my post here
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4371724&mpage=1&key=�

be careful about those EW and SA-2 radars.

Hmmm. That might have something to do with it. But my drones are recon only and they're still getting spotted. I think I will run some tests and keep playing around further. Clearly the scenario can be beat, but detection is my kryptonite right now! Thanks for the tips!

-Steve

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 3
RE: The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Viet... - 4/1/2020 5:02:49 PM   
ExNusquam

Don't forget, the Vietnamese are defending their airspace...don't expect them not to shoot down your drones just because they can't positively ID it.

As to the J-20's stealth, if you're creative with use of other SEAD assets (Jammers and ARM) you can use their glide bombs to pretty easily destroy even the SA-20s. Easy saturation and jammer alignment is pretty critical though.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The Extraordinary, Amazing, Incredible Psychic Vietnamese AD System Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI