Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Search function is CRAP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Search function is CRAP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 5:52:28 AM   
chazz

Tried searching for forum posts covering replacements. No results.

Like a said. crap.

=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos
Post #: 1
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 6:27:44 AM   
jmscho

Try searching from your browser - link below:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:matrixgames.com/forums+%2B+%22War+in+the+Pacific:+Admiral%27s+Edition%22+replacements&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 2
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 6:35:36 AM   
Sardaukar

Yea, Google search with site:matrixgames.com before search word is the way to go.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 3
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 8:24:20 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: chazz

Like a said. crap.

Set the "Time filter" to "All Topics". The default setting is "1 Year", which only searches the last 365 days.

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 4
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 9:31:15 AM   
Alfred

quote:

Like a said. crap.

Using only the term "replacements", the Matrix search engine returned the following number of results:

196 in the main AE forum
71 in the Tech Support sub-forum
35 in the War Room sub-forum
6 in the Scenario sub-forum

That is a total of 308 returns.

What we have here is once again someone who is not very competent at a particular task then shifts the failure on to someone or something else for their own deficiencies. Do you really think that the people who designed and maintained the Matrix search engine appreciate your putdown of their efforts when the fault lies entirely with you and not their work.

Alfred

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 5
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 1:15:11 PM   
Skacee

Well..., I think he tried the search at the bottom in the right corner and this doesnt work also for me. 0 results.
General search work better, but is hit or miss.
I agree with that Google search will find more.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 1:44:20 PM   
PaxMondo

Actually, Alfred has proven time and again that the matrix search engine is quite effective, and on par with google search.

That does NOT mean it uses the same mechanics, but it does work.

Now, I do use google search for this site, only because I use google search a lot and am quite comfortable with it. However, Alfred has proven to me and the rest of us that the matrix search engine is as fully capable as google or any other search engine.

Pax

(in reply to Skacee)
Post #: 7
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/3/2020 2:30:46 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Well, the Matrix search might be as capable as Google search, but it is not as user friendly.

A good software and GUI design should allow an intuitive user experience.

In Germany we use the term "DAU-tauglich" ("DAU-capable") - "DAU" means "Dümmster anzunehmender user" or "dumbest assumable user".

It's a play on words which saw the light after the accronym "GAU" gained fame in Germany with the Chernobyl disaster - "Größter anzunehmender Unfall" = "maximum credible accident".

The Matrix search is not DAU-capable - it often requires a careful selection of search terms and options to obtain the desired results.

I guess that's why I - and other forumites - prefer to use the Google search instead of the Matrix search - Google offers a more comfortable user experience, although not necessarily better results than a carefully constructed Matrix search.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/7/2020 9:34:59 PM   
pws1225

Ah, it's always fun to have Alfred drop by from time to time.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 9
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/9/2020 5:42:44 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Well, the Matrix search might be as capable as Google search, but it is not as user friendly.

In Germany we use the term "DAU-tauglich" ("DAU-capable") - "DAU" means "Dümmster anzunehmender user" or "dumbest assumable user".

It's a play on words which saw the light after the accronym "GAU" gained fame in Germany with the Chernobyl disaster - "Größter anzunehmender Unfall" = "maximum credible accident".

The Matrix search is not DAU-capable - it often requires a careful selection of search terms and options to obtain the desired results.

I guess that's why I - and other forumites - prefer to use the Google search instead of the Matrix search - Google offers a more comfortable user experience, although not necessarily better results than a carefully constructed Matrix search.

Searching here is like playing those adventure games from the early 80 when you had to type in instuctions and the game only knew one word for doing something. Unless you knew that word you had to keep trying until in happened.

Post #: 10
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/9/2020 3:16:01 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

not disagreeing completely, I also prefer google search for my reasons mentioned above, but I wonder how much of it is the old "reverse polish" argument? To this day I much prefer HP calculators, but their input method is far in the minority. Meaning, I wonder if the preference for google isn't so much that it is easier, but rather since so many use google search outside of matrix (like me), that they are far more comfortable with it. Just a thought ...

Pax

Post #: 11
RE: Search function is CRAP - 4/11/2020 6:16:00 AM   
Yaab

quote:

Like a said. crap.

You must learn that in this forum the only thing that is CRAP is either CAP or LRCRAP.

(in reply to chazz)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Search function is CRAP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI