Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  108 109 [110] 111 112   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 7:41:42 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

N****** Trash

obrain seems to be missing.

I did not know the first one.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3271
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 7:42:10 PM   
alanschu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Signed up to be an NHS volunteer last week.

Got my confirmation through so will be "on call" for transport related issues on Monday.

I used to work for the NHS and absolutely it was the most boring job I have ever had! Sure as hell its not going to be at the moment.

Thank you sir. Be safe!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3272
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 7:59:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

N****** Trash

I did not know the first one.
warspite1

No, I was being polite. Naughty Twits doesn't really cut it, does it? It's not difficult to work out though, its just very basic Anglo-Saxon beginning with F and... well you know the rest. It describes these selfish bastards appropriately. Those two young nurses dying yesterday really hit home - if it didn't before - how much potential danger my two nephews are in on the front line.

Sad times that need people pulling together for the common good

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3273
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 8:13:07 PM   
Orm

How about Nobrain Twats?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3274
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 8:21:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

How about Nobrain Twats?
warspite1

Yes that works, but it doesn't provide one with the satisfaction a certain word provides. Sometimes, the situation requires that word to be deployed with all the venom and bile one can muster.

It won't make a bit of difference to them, but it helps to release the tension.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3275
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 8:42:58 PM   
geofflambert

Excerpted some deep thoughts from the Nextdoor ap:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3276
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:00:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Excerpted some deep thoughts from the Nextdoor ap:

warspite1

I wonder if that guy has ever visited the planet earth?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3277
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:09:38 PM   
Canoerebel

Obvert, I mistrust the press because of its overt and admitted bias over many years, including issues that are particularly important to me but admittedly not to those aligned with viewpoints of the press. My mistrust of the press is warranted and certainly doesn't pose any threat to any person.

Regarding the governor, as I said before, I heard him specifically talk about asymptomatic people spreading the virus as far back as two or three weeks ago. His comment a few days back was specifically in context of the further more recent development that asymptomatic suffers may never develop symptoms. This was very clear to those who listen to the full stream of things instead of popping in midstream unaware of prior statements that give context and accuracy. (Or do you really think that a governor of one of the mot populous states is that clueless?)

It's been said over and over in here that Georgia specifically left it to local jurisdictions to impose regulations and that they did so early and widespread. You know, for instance, that Georgia schools closed before England's.

Some of the Georgia outbreaks came very early, before those in most other places. Albany, in the SW corner, had two funerals that resulted in big outbreaks starting weeks ago. And Athens, Clarke County, in NE Georgia was one of the earliest and most stringent in imposing countermeasures, yet now has a fairly stout outbreak.

In an interview on local radio Wednesday, I explained why Georgia has been handling this very well. Not perfectly, but very well. I'm glad to be here.

I hope my sentiments don't amount to "Georgia exceptionalism." I think many/most other states are handling things very well. Most (all?) states are using their best judgment to, in good faith, respond to a novel situation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

While it is true the governor said that, it was taken out of context and misrepresented by the press (naturally).

Previously, the governor had said (on at least two occasions I listened to) that the virus could spread from asymptomatic sick.

Wednesday, his statement was with respect to asymptomatic people who will never show symptoms. IE, some Covid sufferers will never show symptoms and never get sick. That's a pretty new finding and the governor was making that point but the press got all excited because they live on gotcha moments - but they were the ones who were got, though most listeners won't ever know it.

The statewide edict almost perfectly matches most of the county and municipal ordinances that were already in effect. I'm not aware of any major differences, though there may be some here and there.

I've looked at all articles I can find that relate to this story. I haven't seen one yet that takes anything out of context. Most give a good paragraph of his speech verbatim.

This is one that has a short piece noting that this evidence was out there for some time, and most places around the world and in the states were acting on it. (my bold)

In Georgia, where at least 154 people have died of COVID-19, Republican Governor Brian Kemp on Wednesday told residents to prepare for a shelter-in-place order beginning on Friday. Governor Kemp’s announcement came weeks after medical professionals warned coronavirus infections would explode across Georgia without strict social distancing measures.

Gov. Brian Kemp: “What we’ve been telling people, from directives from the CDC, for weeks now, that if you start feeling bad, stay home. Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad. But we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours. And as Dr. Toomey told me, she goes, 'This is a game changer.'”
In fact, a report in The New England Journal of Medicine published in late January warned asymptomatic people can spread the coronavirus, and the finding has informed public policy worldwide for weeks.

The mistrust of the press has dire consequences right now, as we've seen with students ignoring warnings and going on spring break, people going about business as usual in some areas with direct local or state directives to stay at home, and in the brash and more subtle ways that people ignore protection and distancing.

Georgia happens to have some very dense concentrations of this virus around right now and it seems this statewide order is coming a bit late. They may not have known asymptomatic cases could transmit the disease, but as government leaders who can influence life or death for millions of people, they should have. I hope that people have been paying attention to the media, the warnings, and doing this themselves. The travel map on the left below does show that some were not over the past week (darker indicating more movement).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/4/2020 10:08:59 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3278
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:15:38 PM   
DD696

It's good to know that I am simply a dipsh*t for trying to follow the news and make a comment about it.

Edit: I reckon I should believe that there is no covid-19 outbreak. I reckon I should not believe that the governor issued a statewide edict for Georgia - after all, he did not personally tell me.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 4/4/2020 9:18:06 PM >

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3279
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:17:15 PM   
Orm

What?!

Edit: Thank you for the clarification.

< Message edited by Orm -- 4/5/2020 9:58:30 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 3280
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:40:53 PM   
Canoerebel

Here's some context.

Georgia is the 9th largest state in the USA. With respect to Covid-19, Georgia ranks 12th in cases and 9th in mortality.

That doesn't seem like it has been out of step. Since Georgia also has the largest airport in the world** it's somewhat surprising it's doing this well.

**Passenger traffic. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3281
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:41:04 PM   
BBfanboy

Since I posted about two previous shopping experiences, I will post an update to give a flavour of what is happening in Winnipeg, so you can compare/contrast with your own area.

Background: Manitoba now has 170 virus cases and two have died. We are early in the cycle but have been distancing for some time too.

Needed to replenish groceries and decided to get some wine while I was out in case I felt like my meals needed something extra.

Liquor Store: Staff that usually rush up to help you choose a wine (I buy the higher quality stuff with the bigger markup) stayed well back and did not offer help since I knew where I wanted to look. Lines painted on the floor near the tills to mark distancing boxes. Cashiers did not handle bottles I touched nor my Air Miles and Credit Card. I bagged the goods myself.

Costco: Parking lot half empty - not a normal Saturday at all. Front of the store taped off to lead people to the one entrance. Number of people in the store being limited so when I got to the corner of the store and looked around the corner there were at least 150 people lined up waiting to get in. Not well distanced either. The entry rate appeared to be about one person per minute. Did I mention it was about -6ºC (around 22ºF)? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Safeway/Sobeys: Not many vehicles in the parking lot. Parked in my usual area on the East side thinking to go in the doors I usually use. Nope, those are closed off with a line of parked carts across the front of the store to the other set of doors. Numbers control there too, but the line was about 12 people, entry rate around 45 seconds. Two meters (6.5 feet) distancing in the line. Through the glass a lady inside dressed like a medical triage person was thoroughly wiping down the top area of carts. Good wrap-around on the handle.

On entry, you get the cart and are directed to a stand-alone wash station just inside the doors. No port-a-potty though! Wash hands, no towel dispenser so difficult to get towel off the roll without getting wet on the rest of the roll. Dexterous elbows a must.

Much of the usual items not available. Deli section nearly devoid of product. Butcher counter had no meats, but lots of frozen and pre-packaged meats in nearby coolers. Prices up on all the produce, but no real shortages so far.

Wanted to buy a reusable bag at checkout but they don't want people using them so they don't sell them. Lots of plastic bags instead - only a couple of months after they instituted their "no single-use plastic bag" policy.

On the way home, the median strip that normally has panhandlers near the traffic light end was vacant. You know it's bad when ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3282
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:57:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

While it is true the governor said that, it was taken out of context and misrepresented by the press (naturally).

Previously, the governor had said (on at least two occasions I listened to) that the virus could spread from asymptomatic sick.

Wednesday, his statement was with respect to asymptomatic people who will never show symptoms. IE, some Covid sufferers will never show symptoms and never get sick. That's a pretty new finding and the governor was making that point but the press got all excited because they live on gotcha moments - but they were the ones who were got, though most listeners won't ever know it.

The statewide edict almost perfectly matches most of the county and municipal ordinances that were already in effect. I'm not aware of any major differences, though there may be some here and there.

According to the newscast I watched, the Governor's edict allows gathering at places of worship.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3283
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 9:58:07 PM   
Canoerebel

I haven't noticed that, yet, as I only read through quickly to see how it affected me. But I do know that local regulations handled that. I mentioned that yesterday, at some length. No meetings in my area in three weeks. Georgia and it's subdivisions have been quite proactive - one of the earliest states, in fact. If worship services were left out, I'd be very surprised. And my first thought would be: an oversight that'll be corrected shortly. I'll dig into it when I get back home tonight.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/4/2020 10:01:32 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3284
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:04:57 PM   
Canoerebel

I took a quick look and found it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3285
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:06:29 PM   
geofflambert

We keep bandying about US numbers when we don't really have the numbers. Without the proper level of testing, and the US, all 50 states, are way behind much of the developed world, we don't know how many cases there are, because we haven't been testing because we can't get the tests. People are dying who may be dying or have died from SARS-Cov-2 virus that we don't know did and in many or most cases will never know because they were't tested and won't be after the fact. Many of those have already been cremated. It appears to me the most relevant countries to watch because their recovered numbers are a significant percent of their total cases, and they were testing heavily include Germany, South Korea, Austria, Taiwan and Canada. China's numbers cannot be trusted at all because their bureaucracy operates by lying at every level because they fear getting canned if they tell the truth.

Taiwan has been amazing in how quickly and successfully they clamped down on this. South Korea got hit hard but they got on top of it, and they're the only country that has a graph like this:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3286
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:07:37 PM   
DD696

Hey, it is a newscast. If you do not see it with your own eyes, hear it with your own ears, or smell it with your own nose, it must therefore be false.

I believe that there is a great amount of news that is falsely reported by biased reporters and news organizations that want their own beliefs to only be presented.

But when local mayors who have set down stricter guidelines than the governor has are overridden by his edicts, sometimes I feel that it is somewhat essential to listen to the reported news.

Edit: But then, I am simply a dipsh*t.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 4/4/2020 10:09:19 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3287
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:08:32 PM   
witpqs

I have seen the same for decades that Dan is commenting on. Whether print, TV, Internet - there is actual journalism in journalism these days. And my observation applies internationally to the degree I have seen reports from outside the USA.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3288
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:10:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Signed up to be an NHS volunteer last week.

Got my confirmation through so will be "on call" for transport related issues on Monday.

I used to work for the NHS and absolutely it was the most boring job I have ever had! Sure as hell its not going to be at the moment.

I hope they are going to have the PPE for you and train you in whatever new protocols they are using before they send you out!

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3289
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:11:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

N****** Trash

I could make that work if the first word started with an F

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3290
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:12:42 PM   
Canoerebel

Geoff, I think your analysis is factually untrue. Lack of testing was the case weeks ago, but testing in the USA has skyrocketed. We have lots of reliable numbers now, form all over the place. JohnDillworth in NYC has numbers and has been offering his insights. As for people dying without anybody knowing that they died of Covid-19, I doubt that. That number would be very low. From the earliest days, testing has been done and everybody was on the lookout for the symptoms. Active cases certainly weren't reported but I think the mortality numbers are about as accurate as any tally could be.

quote:

We keep bandying about US numbers when we don't really have the numbers. Without the proper level of testing, and the US, all 50 states, are way behind much of the developed world, we don't know how many cases there are, because we haven't been testing because we can't get the tests. People are dying who may be dying or have died from SARS-Cov-2 virus that we don't know did and in many or most cases will never know because they were't tested and won't be after the fact. Many of those have already been cremated. It appears to me the most relevant countries to watch because their recovered numbers are a significant percent of their total cases, and they were testing heavily include Germany, South Korea, Austria, Taiwan and Canada. China's numbers cannot be trusted at all because their bureaucracy operates by lying at every level because they fear getting canned if they tell the truth.

Taiwan has been amazing in how quickly and successfully they clamped down on this. South Korea got hit hard but they got on top of it, and they're the only country that has a graph like this:

Post #: 3291
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:16:41 PM   
Canoerebel

DD96, I think my clarification on what you posted early today has rubbed you the wrong way. I didn't say anything about you, personally, nor do I think you or anybody is a "dip." The news report about the governor that you commented on was factually untrue, so I thought you (and other readers) might appreciate a heads up with what actually happened. Your thoughts about mayors etc., just stated, wasn't part of that earlier exchange in any way.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

Hey, it is a newscast. If you do not see it with your own eyes, hear it with your own ears, or smell it with your own nose, it must therefore be false.

I believe that there is a great amount of news that is falsely reported by biased reporters and news organizations that want their own beliefs to only be presented.

But when local mayors who have set down stricter guidelines than the governor has are overridden by his edicts, sometimes I feel that it is somewhat essential to listen to the reported news.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/4/2020 10:18:50 PM >

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 3292
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:18:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

Sarcasm which I will ignore.

quote:

Mayors and the governor having different policies does not guarantee that the subsequent news broadcast is going to be factually correct (truthful) or even handed (fair) in its presentation. The deception in news is often quite high handed, using out of context facts, misleading wording, and other tactics to give the impression the reporter wishes the recipient to gain.

We all read and see some news, the trouble is figuring out what actually has happened and what has not happened based on news reports. It isn't easy, and it sure is frustrating.

quote:

Sarcasm which I will ignore.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 3293
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:18:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I took a quick look and found it.

Things are happening too fast - I think that restriction was in the Governor's second "Stay in Place" directive while the report I had referred to his first one which cancelled all the local rules and allowed gatherings in places of worship without any qualifying conditions. Thanks for looking that up - makes much more sense.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3294
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:19:08 PM   
geofflambert

Has anybody here been tested? Does anyone here personally know anyone who's been tested? I don't know, I might be surprised, but in my city there's no place I could go to get tested if I wanted to. I believe there's one place in St. Louis County that is doing testing now, a drive up facility. This metro area is 2.5m people. I don't accept that we are testing enough yet or that it will be anytime soon when we actually have some useful data to crunch.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3295
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:21:19 PM   
witpqs

quote:

As for people dying without anybody knowing that they died of Covid-19, I doubt that. That number would be very low. From the earliest days, testing has been done and everybody was on the lookout for the symptoms. Active cases certainly weren't reported but I think the mortality numbers are about as accurate as any tally could be.

What about in the days before we knew COVID-19 was here (which was certainly before tests for it were deployed here)? I am thinking about the theories currently being investigated about when exactly did the virus/disease show up to what places.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3296
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:21:57 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm pretty sure CapMandrake knows people who have been tested. Probably lots of others in here too. I do.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/4/2020 10:22:17 PM >

Post #: 3297
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:22:11 PM   
geofflambert

I do know of some doctors (this is an anecdote obviously) that have coronavirus patients right now that don't have protective equipment for themselves and have not been tested themselves. I just donated what N95 masks I had to them.

Post #: 3298
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:22:54 PM   
DD696

Nor have I said anything about you, personally.

I feel it is important to listen to news reporting from a variety of sources, including here, and make your own judgements.

I do believe that comments from local mayors were a big part of the post of my post earlier.

But I am most likely wrong.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3299
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/4/2020 10:56:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Has anybody here been tested? Does anyone here personally know anyone who's been tested? I don't know, I might be surprised, but in my city there's no place I could go to get tested if I wanted to. I believe there's one place in St. Louis County that is doing testing now, a drive up facility. This metro area is 2.5m people. I don't accept that we are testing enough yet or that it will be anytime soon when we actually have some useful data to crunch.

Drive-up stations are not an automatic test. They go through a series of questions to see if you qualify for needing the test.

Although the US Government has said tests are available to all who should have them, there are lots of reports that say otherwise. One of the places that should be tested and mostly has not been is Seniors Care Homes. Not only are the seniors very vulnerable, but the staff who are not medical personnel but must feed, clean, dress and change the diapers of seniors should be tested. But most seem to be saying the National/State guidelines for testing do not include these facilities.

I doubt we are doing any better in Canada. Our test numbers look good because we started early, but this thing is just beginning to hit nationwide and available test kits are dwindling.

There is a developing trade war over medical supplies with manufacturing nations being forbidden to fill orders from other countries. Retaliation is likely. Like the virus, if the world could get a good idea of where supplies of various medical items are made, how much are produced daily and where the needs are, we could work out some reasonable supply chain to each country and share surpluses (like the ventilators) when needs taper off.

Post #: 3300
Page:   <<   < prev  108 109 [110] 111 112   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  108 109 [110] 111 112   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI