Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/11/2020 11:09:31 PM   
rader

I'm not sure if I'm going to write that much of an AAR, but adding this a placeholder in case I decide to keep it up. I've really enjoyed reading others' AAR recently and I came back to the game in November after taking a long hiatus since the Greyjoy/Jzanes games. This is my third PBEM campaign, always with Japan.

It's scenario 2.

Encircled (Richard) has been a wonderful opponent and we're in mid-June 1942 so far. Japan took most of the perimeter by April 1942 and now we've pretty much just been cleaning up China. I thought long and hard about Australia and/or India and pretty much concluded that they weren't worth the fuel cost to try to take. Instead, I'm hoping to see what happens if we build up an effective defense and just let the Allies come to me. Other than that, we have been making a significant effort against China and are now approaching Chungking.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rader -- 4/13/2020 2:41:36 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/12/2020 12:48:48 AM   
jdsrae

Welcome back and good luck!

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/12/2020 1:37:24 AM   
RangerJoe

Welcome back! Your game against Greyjoy is what got me interested in this game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 3
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/12/2020 9:01:52 AM   
PaxMondo

rader: Welcome BACK!!

If you read castor troys's current AAR, you will see what profit there is in taking India ….

Pax

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/12/2020 9:49:43 PM   
rader

We're about the begin the siege of Chungking. I'm a little nervous in flinging my troops in an aggressive assault on the city in order to put in the effort needed to take it. If he's down to just the (400?) free supply production from the city (assuming all resources/fuel) gone, what will happen to his army over time?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 5
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/12/2020 9:52:36 PM   
rader

To put this in perspective, he's got pretty much the entire Chinese army in the hex. He fell back in good order to the city. I do think he's suffering from supply woes, but would still mount a punishing defense if I tried to storm the city.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 6
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/12/2020 9:57:19 PM   
rader

The other observation I have at this point is that (of course) the 4Es are pretty much unstoppable (Zeros and Oscars can't make a dent), and that his P-38E sweeps are deadly.

Generally in the past, I've been very aggressive about seeking out and destroying the Allied air forces by pursuing them and bombing their airfields. Here, I'm trying to go for a more quality over quantity approach and basically never sending my air on offensive missions over his territory unless I have air superiority (e.g., China). In the long run, I'd like to conserve my pilots and force him to lose his over my territory. But right now our planes (Zeros and Oscars) are just too crappy. The first Nicks and Tojos are starting to filter in but I'm not expecting them to make an enormous difference.

Also, he uses night bombing a lot and the best I can do is throw off his aim while losing a bunch of zeros and oscars to his 4E defensive fire. There doesn't seem to be an effective counter to night bombing at all. Maybe late war radar-equipped night fighters?

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 7
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 1:14:02 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

We're about the begin the siege of Chungking. I'm a little nervous in flinging my troops in an aggressive assault on the city in order to put in the effort needed to take it. If he's down to just the (400?) free supply production from the city (assuming all resources/fuel) gone, what will happen to his army over time?

My first attack at Chungking did nothing but disable one of my best Divisions and the forts stayed at 6!
Continuous air and ground bombardment seems to be keeping Chungking out of supply. Evidence being the absence of flak overhead.
Issue your combat engineers with a double ration of sake and wish them good luck.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 8
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 2:34:09 AM   
rader

Here's a list of ships sunk so far. Not much since the days of fighting for the SRA. We've been sparring a bit near Ndeni/Tulagi, but not much else since then. The two CLAAs are almost certainly not sunk. They each took a single torpedo a few days ago from a Japanese destroyer, but damage looked moderate at best.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 9
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 2:36:17 AM   
rader

And aircraft losses. The Zero is by far the most downed airplane type but it's also been doing almost all the work for the Japanese.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 10
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 2:50:48 AM   
rader

Only once have we ever seen an allied CV with a scout plane and they have never been committed to battle. I'm wondering if he's going to hold them back until he has Hellcats, or maybe even carrier superiority in 1943. I'm likewise being cautious with my carriers and won't commit them to battle except under favorable circumstances, like if he makes a major move in 1942...

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 11
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 10:55:56 PM   
rader

Here's the first bombardment of Chungking on June 22, 1942 (1 year Barbarossa anniversary!).

I don't think I've ever seen so many troops in one place. This could get messy...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 12
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 11:21:39 PM   
RangerJoe

Stacking limits? Enough supply? Bomb and bombard for a little while.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 13
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/13/2020 11:37:12 PM   
jdsrae

The good news is there won’t be enough supply produced locally to feed that many troops

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 12:17:50 AM   
rader

No stacking limits. He's definitely not rolling in supply but I'm not sure how bad the shortage is. I just stopped the resource production this turn so not sure how long reserves will produce with his industry (not allowed strat bombing due to HR). Other than that, he's got the 400 free supply per turn. Definitely not enough, but not sure what the lack of supply will actually do to his troops. Probably enough for bare survival?

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 15
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 12:38:24 AM   
RangerJoe

Every attack increases his supply demand by 10%. LRCAP to slow down any transport of supplies.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 16
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 2:35:03 AM   
jdsrae

I read somewhere that troops with zero supply fight at 25% effectiveness.
That would drop 13k raw AV to 3250, but then forts and terrain bonuses increase it again.
Continuous air and artillery bombardment should also help reduce morale of defenders, increase their fatigue and disruption.
You will just need to cross your fingers and hope that your combat engineers reduce the forts in each attack...
I recommend waiting a few days so your troops can dig themselves field fortifications before attacking. I have no proof, but I assume it helps protect them from defensive artillery fire.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 17
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 1:00:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

I read somewhere that troops with zero supply fight at 25% effectiveness.
That would drop 13k raw AV to 3250, but then forts and terrain bonuses increase it again.
Continuous air and artillery bombardment should also help reduce morale of defenders, increase their fatigue and disruption.
You will just need to cross your fingers and hope that your combat engineers reduce the forts in each attack...
I recommend waiting a few days so your troops can dig themselves field fortifications before attacking. I have no proof, but I assume it helps protect them from defensive artillery fire.

The leadership and experience of the Chinese is so poor that it pretty much offsets the forts and terrain bonuses. Bring lots of artillery and tanks to ensure you have more firepower.

I don't think field forts help if you are attacking. Even base fixed forts don't help the troops who shock attack (charge in the open).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 18
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 1:58:52 PM   
witpqs

Good luck!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 4:54:32 PM   
wifrader

I'm a bit torn between the mass human wave assaults needed to take the city (how badly will this shred my army?) vs simply starving him out for 6 months to a year before beginning the battle in earnest. I don't think it makes sense to start attacking unless I want to commit to it because the first will be the worst. If we're able to drop the forst below 2-3, the endgame should be easy. It's the start that's hard. Still assembling the assault force so I have until then to contemplate.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/14/2020 5:04:31 PM   
RangerJoe

Bombard and bomb. Don't forget to shut down the airfield. Any supply hits will make it that much faster. Don't kill any units outside Chungking if you can avoid doing so.

― Julia Child

(in reply to wifrader)
Post #: 21
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/15/2020 3:08:52 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

And aircraft losses. The Zero is by far the most downed airplane type but it's also been doing almost all the work for the Japanese.

As well it should … wish I could get the IJA units into A6M as well.

Pax

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 22
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/15/2020 8:38:24 AM   
traskott

suscribed! good luck!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 23
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/16/2020 5:52:00 PM   
rader

I'm bombing Chungking heavily every day and getting something like ~10 supply hits which should be enough to destroy all the supply the Chinese produce. Yet his AV is actually increasing, meaning that he's recovering disabled squads.

I am wondering about the sequence of supply distribution. It's pretty clear to me that Chungking has zero supply in reserve in the base, but it produces 400 or more unstoppable supply every turn. Exactly when is this distributed to land units?

Possibility 1: The supply is distributed to hungry land units immediately as it's produced. This would mean that supply hits on airfields really have no effect on the Chungking garrison, because by the time the bombing phase comes about, all the supply has already been distributed to land units and there is none in the base to hit.

Possibility 2: The supply is distributed to hungry land units after it must sit in the base for a turn, or at least a bombing phase. This would mean that bombing Chungking can deprive the land units of every ounce of their supply, because it gets vaporized before the LCUs get fed.

Does anyone know which it is?

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 24
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/16/2020 5:56:37 PM   
rader

Also, late war musings: It would seem logical that kamikaze aircraft can fly double their normal range because they don't have to save fuel for the return trip. Is this true, or are they restricted to their usual combat radius?

If kamikazes could fly double range, it would make some of those crappy short range trainer aircraft a lot more useful.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 25
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/17/2020 12:05:59 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I'm bombing Chungking heavily every day and getting something like ~10 supply hits which should be enough to destroy all the supply the Chinese produce. Yet his AV is actually increasing, meaning that he's recovering disabled squads.

And/or units are showing up. CHI gets a few new units in '42, and then any lost units re-appear in CK after ~45 days. That's the reason to take CK. No replacement units will arrive …

Pax

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 26
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/17/2020 1:59:35 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

And/or units are showing up. CHI gets a few new units in '42, and then any lost units re-appear in CK after ~45 days. That's the reason to take CK. No replacement units will arrive …

I believe that the other replacement city is Chengtu.

― Julia Child

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 27
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/17/2020 2:25:24 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

I believe that the other replacement city is Chengtu.

correct. you want to take it first …

Pax

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 28
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/17/2020 3:42:52 AM   
Alfred

1.  Production and distribution occurs in the housekeeping pulse which follows the combat.

2.  The kamikaze mission does not increase an aircraft's range.

Alfred

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 29
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/17/2020 6:49:17 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

1.  Production and distribution occurs in the housekeeping pulse which follows the combat.

2.  The kamikaze mission does not increase an aircraft's range.

Alfred

Wow thanks Alfred! So if I understand correctly, production occurs immediately before distribution, so the answer is effectively #1 and there is no way to prevent the Chinese LCUs from receiving their intrinsic supply by bombing. Thus I'm probably dropping a lot of ordnance on nothing

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI