Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/17/2020 8:56:11 PM   
Freigeist83

I am trying to make a game plan for the next time to decide which scenarios are worth the time spent.

Which are you personal top 3 favorite scenarios for TOAW IV that you would highly recommend?

Thanks for your feedback.
Post #: 1
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/17/2020 11:11:34 PM   
rhinobones

You might want to specify whether the scenario is PO capable or PBM only. Also consider the length. Some of the more popular PBM scenarios can take over a year to complete. Other people enjoy a quick game against the OP which they can finish in a night or two.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Freigeist83)
Post #: 2
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 6:50:53 AM   
MonkeysBrain2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freigeist83

I am trying to make a game plan for the next time to decide which scenarios are worth the time spent.

Which are you personal top 3 favorite scenarios for TOAW IV that you would highly recommend?

In no particular order:

1. The Great War 2.1 (I think that I've lost this scenario, but for me best WW1 game ever made, even better than let's say full blown WW1 games that are selling alone for 50$) by Daniel McBride
2. 1992 WW3 What If (see my AAR, great fun, one of best modern scenarios, but this scenario needs Silvanski or other scenario designer to fix it and it would be among top) by Piero Falotti
3. Europa 1947 mod redux by Silvanski, original design Piero Falotti (what to say, Silvanski have done great job, maybe even too great because I remember that Axis had much better chance before, he beefed up Russian forces hmmmm but anyway great scenario)
4. FiTE all versions by magicians from Danemark, Soren, Kristian.... (great fun)
5. Try also Operation Blau 4.01 by Brian Topp, Braunschweig by Daniel McBride, Bob Cross War in Africa.... and there is some more great scenarios, but not too much...

Post #: 3
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 7:04:19 AM   
MonkeysBrain2

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonkeysBrain2

quote:

In no particular order:

1. The Great War 2.1 (I think that I've lost this scenario, but for me best WW1 game ever made, even better than let's say full blown WW1 games that are selling alone for 50$) by Daniel McBride
2. 1992 WW3 What If (see my AAR, great fun, one of best modern scenarios, but this scenario needs Silvanski or other scenario designer to fix it and it would be among top) by Piero Falotti
3. Europa 1947 mod redux by Silvanski, original design Piero Falotti (what to say, Silvanski have done great job, maybe even too great because I remember that Axis had much better chance before, he beefed up Russian forces hmmmm but anyway great scenario)
4. FiTE all versions by magicians from Danemark, Soren, Kristian.... (great fun)
5. Try also Operation Blau 4.01 by Brian Topp, Braunschweig by Daniel McBride, Bob Cross War in Africa.... and there is some more great scenarios, but not too much...

And the TOAW OSCAR goes to......
No just kiddin, this is just personal taste, I played a lot more good scenarios. Operation Crusader, Operation Barbarossa was also fun by Brian Topp, well I played it against my friend which is very good in chess, well I've lost, he entrenched bloody Russians 5 hexes deep lol so I surrendered that game, one of first that I played 20 years ago...

< Message edited by MonkeysBrain2 -- 4/18/2020 7:05:00 AM >

(in reply to MonkeysBrain2)
Post #: 4
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 7:08:59 AM   
MonkeysBrain2

[/quote]

And the TOAW OSCAR goes to......
No just kiddin, this is just personal taste, I played a lot more good scenarios. Operation Crusader, Operation Barbarossa was also fun by Brian Topp, well I played it against my friend which is very good in chess, well I've lost, he entrenched bloody Russians 5 hexes deep lol so I surrendered that game, one of first that I played 20 years ago...
[/quote]

Just wanted to say that TOAW is rare game and new players should be aware that this software is kind of magical....
Well, what game you can play for 22 years because it is almost same game (almost, I value and respect additional work that developers are putting into it)... So, TOAW is actually one of best software ever made by human race. Send it on the Mars :)

Post #: 5
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 12:26:59 PM   
John B.

I'd have to say:

1. Korea 50-51. It is very fluid and each side gets the chance to punish the other side in a devestating fashion. There are not many units so you can do a game fairly quickly.

2. Sicily: I think it's a good game with each side having advantages as the Germans try to delay the allies taking over the Island. And, like Korea, it's not overwhelming in size so you can play it fairly quickly. There are a lot of WWII scenarios you can play like this depending on your taste.

3. Some of the out of the way scenarios that you don't see gamed very often. Iran-Iraq war, the Balkans wars pre-WWI and so on. I've played several of these and they're fun because it's not a situation that you see everyday.

Post #: 6
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 12:50:29 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

You might want to specify whether the scenario is PO capable or PBM only. Also consider the length. Some of the more popular PBM scenarios can take over a year to complete. Other people enjoy a quick game against the OP which they can finish in a night or two.

Regards

Aye, this is the information that is needed.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 7
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 4:54:03 PM   
TheeWarLord

As one who games predominantly the WW2 era, in my humble opinion, FITE 2, Bulge 44, and into the darkness. Fite 2, for scope, complexity, and enjoyable options. Bulge for its realism of small unit actions, and Into darkness WW2 in Europe, for scope, ingenuity of event, options, utilization of production into scenario. Full disclosure,( I only solo played tested darkness)

< Message edited by TheeWarLord -- 4/20/2020 8:15:42 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/18/2020 8:53:36 PM   
Freigeist83

I am still learning the system, so it makes sense to focus on shorter scenarios against the AI before jumping into larger PBM campaigns against a human opponent.

But I am really interested what you guys personally like to play...

(in reply to TheeWarLord)
Post #: 9
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/19/2020 8:06:20 PM   
altipueri

Try: Arracourt44 It is very small and fits on one screen.

It's also good for trying to understand how to have the AI/PO help you - and change objectives.

I've played it so many times I even went to Arracourt a couple of years ago on a drive round France in a campervan and took some photos of the memorials.

Incidentally, for US readers, about a mile from Arracourt is a memorial to the first US soldiers to die in WW1.

I'll post a couple of photos f you can tell me how to.

Post #: 10
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/19/2020 11:15:30 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I'll post a couple of photos f you can tell me how to.

Click on the check box by 'Embed picture in post' and then click on 'Click here to upload'.

Attachment (1)

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 11
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/20/2020 6:21:18 AM   
altipueri

Let's try (after I realise you have to click on post reply rather than just fast reply)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 12
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/20/2020 6:22:50 AM   
altipueri

OK:
Arracourt:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 13
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/20/2020 6:26:13 AM   
altipueri

Well the first was the starting screen of Arracourt 44 with the formation objectives and tracks shown

The second was the map in Arracourt showing you how to get to the WW1 memorial

This should be the WW1 photo
The next should be of Arracourt

Attachment (1)

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 14
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/20/2020 6:28:50 AM   
altipueri

Well it seems I've tried to save bandwidth or whatever by downsizing and now you can't see anything. good job i don't code for Boeing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 15
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/20/2020 6:34:26 AM   
altipueri

This should be Arracourt and I realise the screenshot showed the formation paths but not the objectives:

What is it with computers. When I want to write a reply I have to press the button that says "post reply" ; when I want to attach a photo I have to press a button called "open".

Must be an age thing. It's 7.30 on a sunny morning in lockdown England and i'm going to have a glass of brandy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 16
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/22/2020 12:42:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

for PBEM: FiTE1 v.5 or The Next War or CfNA (I've done / doing AARs for all these scenes)

for versus computer: Russo-German War (either side, but Soviet side can be frustrating) intel STRONG cheat +2 for Elmer ... or D21 for Germans [human] v. Computer (Computer at "strong" and "+2"

for solitaire / historical WWI: Piero Falloti's The Great War alongside reading w/ Simonds' History WWI
for solitaire / historical WWII: FitE2 (currently working a club effort w/ that, very detailed, a 10 year effort)

edit: almost forgot, for solitaire / v. computer, is Vietnam Combat Operations ("VCO") vol. I - XII or however many there are now. Those VCO volumes are absolutely "essentials" I think for both TOAWIII and TOAWIV, the manuals alone are well worth the look. OK, well, Have a great gaming day!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/22/2020 5:49:18 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/23/2020 5:51:45 AM   
BigDuke66

1. Operation Neva - Leningrad 1944
2. Campaign for North Africa(the longest scenario)
3. Fire in the East 2

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 18
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/23/2020 10:23:02 AM   
secadegas

No special order:

- Two weeks in Normandy (13 turns, by far the best short scenario ever done to TOAW)
- Campaign for North Africa 40-43
- Europe Aflame (TOAW most elaborated scenario with incredible design options, a true gem unfortunately forgotten these days)

Last but not least due to almost professional level design:
- Vietnam Combat Operations
- Every scenario from D. McBride

If playing against Elmer, Directive 21 (human playing the Germans) is still unbeatable

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 19
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/24/2020 4:19:00 AM   
fogger

Having a glass of brandy at 7.30am. Did you get out of bed late. In lockdown Australia we use the bottom of one stubby to open the next.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 20
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 4/24/2020 8:29:38 AM   
altipueri

Ah yes that technique.

Fond memories of Australia - I spent 6 months there in 1975 working in the outback in the Pilbara and East of Pine Creek / El Sherana in NT. (Where part of Crocodile Dundee movie was later filmed.)

G'Day.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 21
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 5/15/2020 12:50:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

D21 is a classic. Fun to play against the Soviet AI.
FITE v.5.0 is also a classic.
FITE2 is a tad too big for me but you might like it.
Pacific at War is one of the better ones. Plays fast, medium complexity, earlier versions had CA's carrying spotter planes.
Campaign for South Vietnam is one of my favorites. Realistic, plays fast, low unit count, good balance.
The Vietnam Combat Operations series is a winner. Recommended.
Korea 50-53 is one I really like.
Autumn Fog '44 is about the battle of the bulge and is a good treatment of that conflict.
Overlord '44 is a fun scenario about the landings on D-Day to the taking of Berlin.
Desert Storm '94 is a fast scenario that is so completely unbalanced that you almost can't lose.
The Next War 1979 is a fast paced exciting treatment of a hypothetical Soviet invasion of Europe and is a winner.
Sicily to Brenner Pass '43-'45 is about the Allied landings in Sicily and the drive up the boot of Italy against a determined German defender.
I have played all of these and I like them all. YMMV.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 22
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 7/22/2020 7:07:32 PM   
carll11

Looking for a copy of Europe Aflame to DL...any assistance appreciated...online was no help at all and I couldnt seem to get to the scn. at the Blitz...

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 23
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 7/22/2020 10:45:12 PM   
KwanzaO

quote:

ORIGINAL: secadegas

No special order:

- Two weeks in Normandy (13 turns, by far the best short scenario ever done to TOAW)
- Europe Aflame (TOAW most elaborated scenario with incredible design options, a true gem unfortunately forgotten these days)

If playing against Elmer, Directive 21 (human playing the Germans) is still unbeatable

We have similar tastes.......

< Message edited by KwanzaO -- 7/22/2020 10:46:16 PM >

cool, control, contain

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 24
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 7/23/2020 3:02:15 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11
Looking for a copy of Europe Aflame to DL...any assistance appreciated...online was no help at all and I couldnt seem to get to the scn. at the Blitz...

Do you have IV? It's in the WWII Misc folder.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 25
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 7/24/2020 6:13:54 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: KwanzaO

quote:

ORIGINAL: secadegas

No special order:

We have similar tastes.......

You're definitively a person of fine taste...

(in reply to KwanzaO)
Post #: 26
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 7/28/2020 5:58:20 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: carll11

Do you have IV? It's in the WWII Misc folder.

TY I see it now...

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 27
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 7/29/2020 2:25:46 PM   
StuccoFresco

quote:

I am still learning the system, so it makes sense to focus on shorter scenarios against the AI before jumping into larger PBM campaigns against a human opponent.

But I am really interested what you guys personally like to play...

For a beginner, I'll reccomend the ones I started with:

- Tannenberg 14, I played Russian side but German side is reccomended: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4608955
- Kasserine 43, German side: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4610438
- Kharkov 1942, Soviet side: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4613405

Once you get accustomed, you can try a bigger scenario that is still waaay easier than monsters like FITE. PErsonally I tried Hungary 1944 from the Soviet side: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4657162

Post #: 28
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 8/22/2020 8:31:07 PM   
gRaider2001

Thanks for creating this thread. I am getting back into playing TOW4 and look forward to trying all of the ones suggested. I mostly play against the A.I and would considered myself a beginner wargamer.

"I will write of him who fights and vanquishes his sins, who struggles on through weary years against himself … and wins." -Caroline Begelow Lerow

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 29
RE: Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? - 9/12/2020 12:41:00 AM   
Raver508

There's so many great scenarios for this game! My all time favourite would have to be Europe Aflame. Anything by Daniel McBride is very good, and Fire in the East would have to be right up there too. One scenario that doesnt feature above but I think is very good is Blitzkreig 50. Its almost perfectly balanced, with a great range of units and options, and a good way to get a sense of how much better than you your opponent really is :)

(in reply to gRaider2001)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Top 3 Scenarios for TOAW IV ?!? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI