Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: T16

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: T16 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: T16 - 4/2/2020 4:44:51 PM   
joelmar

@chaos

Game is over when it gets to the end... or when one opponent resigns.

But loosing Moscow and/or Leningrad is neither of those things. And what's more, ATM, both cities still stand.

That said, if you play to win absolutely (which is not BrianG's cup of tea for all I know)... then I guess the situation is not the best.

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 61
RE: T16 - 4/2/2020 5:48:17 PM   
redrum68

Yeah, I think Axis are doing well but it seems far from over to me. I think both Moscow and Leningrad will fall but as long as the Soviets have evacuated a decent portion of the industry and still have a decent portion of their army to fight back they should be able to mount at least some winter offensive and will continue to get stronger in later years.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 62
RE: T16 - 4/2/2020 6:14:45 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Could you please post losses/OOB numbers?

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 4/2/2020 6:15:00 PM >

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 63
T17 - 4/3/2020 9:22:06 PM   
tyronec

AGN. Got my two hex corridor to the Finns. Sent a German division up to clear some of those border screening units, just to pin down some proper Soviet units.

North Moscow. Got the Moscow cleared with just a few attacks, which was a surprise. Continuing to push further East though most of the Panzers were occupied further South.

South Moscow. Get across the Oka river with infantry assaults and had 3 Panzer Corps fueled up to make a good pocket. Am really counting on it holding this turn. There was not much behind the front line which I had not expected, was more anticipating rolling up the front line. Got to overrun several airbases, I did some costly airbase bombing to try and clock up more kills but probably it was not worth it. I have not used the Luftwaffe well this game, losses are too high - in particular of fighters.

AGS. Think I made a misjudgement to try and surround Rostov, so instead reverted to trying to assault the city which failed. It just looked too risky to send more stuff South of the Don.
Will see what things look like come the Snow turns but am concerned about my shortage of Infantry down South.
The good news is got the Crimea cleared of the stack that was defending the Kerch straights.

My plan is to just starve out Lenningrad, don't think it really matters how long it takes as the Finns can hold the line.
The priority has to be to get more infantry down towards AGS. I think am going to end up with a lot of Panzers defending the front line come the Blizzard because have too much concentrated around Moscow but am prepared to accept that if I can do more damage before December.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 64
RE: T17 - 4/3/2020 9:47:07 PM   
redrum68

Nice pocket around Tula and I can't see any way he can break it. Surprised that the Soviets haven't just pulled back more in the center after losing Moscow. I'm guessing between those 2 center pockets left to liquidate that's half a million men which could be the difference in the game.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 65
T22 - 4/9/2020 2:27:47 PM   
tyronec

First Snow turn

North. Just digging in for the winter. Tried an assault on Leningrad but am going to have to wait a lot longer.

Center. The pockets from before the mud are gradually getting cleared. Am attacking to the East of Moscow and pocketed one stack.
The main effort is to push the Soviets back towards Voronezh to give me some buffer during the Blizzard, so 3 Panzer Corps attacking down from the North and one up from the South.
Soviets have a 3 level fort in Kursk so that is probably impregnable and a problem.

South. Clearing the Soviets away from West of the Don, hoping to hold the river line until it freezes which as I remember takes one turn into the Blizzard.
Model took Rostov with the second assault, will just try and clear the swamps now.
Built a few forts during and put pioneers in them but building up very slowly. Should have done it a few moves earlier.

Have played very few games through the blizzard as Axis, only one or two that were competitive as far as I can remember so not really sure how the combat is going to pan out. Am thinking to try and trash as much Soviet rail as I can over the next two turns. Then retreat fast in Dec (2 hexes a turn if need be), try and hang on in Jan and begin to fight back in Feb. Will probably not get to send many Panzers to Cities as if I keep attacking they won't have the MPs to get back but am shifting out most of the SUs.

Have one division holding Kerch, does it freeze in the winter ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tyronec -- 4/9/2020 2:32:09 PM >

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 66
T23 - 4/10/2020 8:50:47 PM   
tyronec

Moscow area. Not much value in attacking any more so just stabalise my front line and pull one Pz Corps back to Moscow.

Kursk Area. Soviets had pulled back from Kursk city which was a surprise as don't think I could have taken it before the blizzard. Tula had a Level 3 and held off two attacks but should get it next turn.
Pocket 29 units with a strong push down from the North and Panzers pushing up from the South. It is a very stringy pocket so not sure how much will hold and even if it does will have difficulty clearing it next turn. My army will be a mess come the Blizzard but am hoping the damage to the Soviets will be worth it.

Rostov. Take one swamp hex and clear the West Donets again. A lot of Soviets piling up behind their front line so expecting a big push here with lots of Cav. I need to rail down a few more Infantry but the line is not connected yet. At least I have all my Mountain Infantry here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 67
RE: T23 - 4/11/2020 8:25:06 AM   
king171717

Just read this whole AR. nice work! especially in the center. didnt think u would take Moscow with your panzer/mot supporting North.

< Message edited by king171717 -- 4/11/2020 8:26:59 AM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 68
T24 - 4/12/2020 2:33:15 PM   
tyronec

Last Sonw turn.

Moscow area. Pull back another Panzer Corps and just stabalise the front line.

Kursk area. One pocket got broken and do a bit of herding on that which lets 2 units rout out. Hopefully it will hold now and can kill them in the first turn of Blizzard.
Elsewhere kill 22 units and get all the pockets cleared.
The line is a mess and too many Panzers in the lead but hopefully can get tidied up in a turn or so and keep flying fuel to the Panzers to get them back.
Used one Pz Corps to attack East of Kharkov and destroy a few more hexes of Soviet rail.

Rostov. There was mud in the Europe zone and only just managed to clear my side of the river. Will try and hold on to the river until it freezes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tyronec -- 4/12/2020 2:38:40 PM >

(in reply to king171717)
Post #: 69
RE: T24 - 4/14/2020 12:48:43 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

4 million men killed/captured before blizzard is a milestone of mine for an easier blizzard. I know the replacements were raised so if I play 12.5 I will have to raise that milestone to 4.5 million. See what Brian has in the coming turns but looks good from a German POV.

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 4/14/2020 12:15:32 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 70
T25 - 4/14/2020 2:23:01 PM   
tyronec

We shall see, the Soviets look very strong.

First turn of Blizzard, the retreat begins.
Have got all but one stack of last turns pocked eliminated.
One German unit already under threat of being sealed off

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 71
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 3:16:24 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

What is the turn delay on the AAR?

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 72
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 5:02:41 PM   
tyronec

quote:

None

Post #: 73
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 5:53:55 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec

quote:

None

Nice.

What is the average arbitrary Russian front line CV of a hex coming at you? Average per unit?

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 74
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 6:50:40 PM   
chaos45

even with the extra replacements, the Soviet army has to be weak....keep in mind the huge POW camp at Leningrad still with those 4M prisoners already taken.

Post #: 75
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 7:16:56 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

even with the extra replacements, the Soviet army has to be weak....keep in mind the huge POW camp at Leningrad still with those 4M prisoners already taken.

Yes, I agree with you Chaos. The Soviets are hurting. As for Leningrad I would have put the Finns on the South side too. But that is just me. This could get interesting if those German regiments get pushed out of the way by Soviets south of Leningrad. How many turns have the Leningrad forces been surrounded now? At 7+ turns those units will start auto surrendering if the Soviets attack with them or attacked by Germans if no supplies have been dropped to them.

I feel that the Soviet hammer looks to be hitting down south around Rostov but that hammer is going to have to wait for the river to freeze over for best traction based on the screen shots.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 76
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 7:58:49 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

How many turns have the Leningrad forces been surrounded now? At 7+ turns those units will start auto surrendering if the Soviets attack with them or attacked by Germans if no supplies have been dropped to them.

The Soviets cannot do airhead resupply until 1942. That was a patch change from a while ago.

Post #: 77
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 9:29:04 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

How many turns have the Leningrad forces been surrounded now? At 7+ turns those units will start auto surrendering if the Soviets attack with them or attacked by Germans if no supplies have been dropped to them.

The Soviets cannot do airhead resupply until 1942. That was a patch change from a while ago.

Soviets can drop normal supplies and it prolongs the outcome.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 78
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 9:54:56 PM   
M60A3TTS

Yes, but airhead resupply could in the past keep Leningrad fighting a lot longer when adequately defended. Alas, no longer in '41.

Post #: 79
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 10:06:00 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Yes, but airhead resupply could in the past keep Leningrad fighting a lot longer when adequately defended. Alas, no longer in '41.

Correct. But I have noticed any supply is beneficial for prolongation of the timeframe of the surrender of the unit.

Nice seeing you again btw M60.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 80
RE: T25 - 4/14/2020 11:41:11 PM   
joelmar

@M60

When you say in the past and alas no longer, by "in the past" you mean 1.11.03 and by "no longer" 1.12?

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

Post #: 81
RE: T25 - 4/15/2020 12:27:35 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: joelmar

@M60

When you say in the past and alas no longer, by "in the past" you mean 1.11.03 and by "no longer" 1.12?

The change occurred in an earlier version - 1.11.0 I think but would have to check the patchnotes again to remember.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 82
RE: T25 - 4/15/2020 8:30:42 AM   
tyronec

The Soviets have been dropping them supplies.
I have tried attacking every once in a while but they are still well supplied and OK morale.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 83
RE: T25 - 4/15/2020 5:58:00 PM   
joelmar

As explained before, I just went through a 9 turns siege of Rostov (level 3+ forteresse) in the mud in 1.11.03. I'm not aware of a single auto-surrender of the initial 12 divisions or so in the pocket. And I bombed them twice every turn of the siege with the full Rumanian spring 1942 air power, meaning dive and tac bombers capable of inflicting some 2000 to 4000 disruption each time, so lots of fatigue.

And in the end it still took me 2 consecutive turns for a force with a ratio of something like 8:1 in men, full air superiority, and 24 engineer battalions to take the city hex.

In that case, supply drops and merging were a very important factor I think.

< Message edited by joelmar -- 4/15/2020 6:06:49 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 84
T26. - 4/16/2020 3:28:36 PM   
tyronec

Soviets have their Cav divisions spread out along the front and managed to infiltrate a few last turn, managed to rout three of them away. Have not played against that tactic before (I have always massed them into Corps/Armies) but it is a threat if I can't get rid of them.
Working to have a reserve of Panzer units in Cities that can foray out and chase them away in future.

Full front displayed, had one division pocketed last turn which was a mistake by me from 2 turns ago. Some more at risk this turn.
Blizzard everywhere, just a bit of the river near Rostov not frozen yet.

Expecting they will storm Kerch in a move or two, they have a stack of infantry and a Cav there and I have no entrenchment.

Got the rail net fully connected North to South so at least that gives me some security.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 85
RE: T26. - 4/16/2020 4:18:40 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Yup, this Russian army is weak based on what I see in the screenshots. Only around the vicinity of Rostov is there any resemblence of power. I would contemplate just sitting in place if I were the Soviets.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 86
T27 - 4/18/2020 12:26:16 PM   
tyronec

quote:

I would contemplate just sitting in place if I were the Soviets.

I doubt that is going to happen !

T27.
Nothing pocketed this turn, looks like the Soviets are concentrating on building up Wins for now.

North. Finns lost two battles last turn, was expecting them to be able to hold out better than that. Am concerned about either of the ports falling, need to stack the Finns a bit thicker which means 18th Army have to slide North a bit and they could be exposed. Difficult to reinforce this area too.

Moscow. Will be back to the city in the front line soon.

Kursk area. Looking OK, can pull back a lot more which should leave the Soviets short of supplies.

Rostov. Main threat is from the North, so a lot of Soviet units sitting below the river doing nothing yet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 87
T28 - 4/19/2020 11:24:23 AM   
tyronec

No serious damage this turn, a couple of pockets are threatened.
Don freezes so will see if they can get through the line at Rostov.
Doing several counter attacks which helps to keep morale level. The Soviet tactic of advancing with Cav. divisions seems to be counter productive if I can get an easy win against them.
Last turn of December which is a relief.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 88
T29 - 4/20/2020 1:41:47 PM   
tyronec

Units in Lenningrad pocket begin to surrender, two go this turn when attacked, they had almost zero CV. Some are still OK so the Soviets may be able to hold a few hexes by flying in supplies to just a few units.

Elsewhere do counter attacks along the line where possible, only two lose - it is hard to tell what will happen with the Soviet CVs. Hope am safe enough against being pocketed anywhere though am a bit thin after a failed attack near Voronezh.

Pull back from Rostov and will try and hold the line with Mountain divisions plus most of Panzer 1 have sortied.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 89
RE: T29 - 4/21/2020 4:22:24 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Everything looks pretty well in hand for you Tyronec. Very nice consolidation of forces when retreating too. How is the air game since I saw what seems to be airfield bombings going on.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: T16 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI