Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/13/2020 10:50:12 PM   
joelmar

I have created a Youtube channel to post technical and strategy videos I produced for War in the East, based on version 1.12.04.

My aim is to help new comers to the game to get to grips with some basics, and also for older hands to pick up something they might have missed along the way.

Here is the link to it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzHoi2XFix7y73XO6WSmqA/videos

And here are the first 3 videos:

Ep. 1 - Presentation and references: https://youtu.be/QnR3cJqv-f8
Ep. 2 - The Commander's Report: https://youtu.be/mYDNXRUZ1m8
Ep. 3 - The Support Units Flow: https://youtu.be/vqtWY3KyDtE

I hope they will be useful and enjoyable to all who view them. Others will follow.

Comments are appreciated of course! :-)

< Message edited by joelmar -- 4/13/2020 11:07:10 PM >

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
Post #: 1
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/13/2020 11:40:15 PM   
56ajax

Thx man.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 2
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/13/2020 11:43:48 PM   
joelmar

My pleasure! :-)

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 3
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 12:09:34 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Corps is pronounced like the word "core" in American. Is that the case everywhere else?

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 4
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 12:14:28 AM   
joelmar

I noticed yesterday while looking at a WWII history conference. I don't know how it's pronounced elsewhere, it might be different. English is not my first language, I'm still learning! :-)

Anyway, thanks for the comment, I will correct that in future videos.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 5
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 12:22:17 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

I don't know if British call Corps like corpse or like core so was out of curiosity too.

Some of the war footage I liked, was like crystal clear. But to me the music didnt fit. But that is just me and others may love it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: joelmar

I noticed yesterday while looking at a WWII history conference. I don't know how it's pronounced elsewhere, it might be different. English is not my first language, I'm still learning! :-)

Anyway, thanks for the comment, I will correct that in future videos.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 6
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 12:50:57 AM   
joelmar

For the intro, at first I had chosen a song named "Russian Winter" by swiss band Krokus, but Youtube didn't like it and it bugged me even if I could still use it. What I choose instead is a very old band of mine, so the music is 100% my own and I like the fury in the guitar solo. I think it fits really well with the Stukas diving and the T-34's. But of course that is all a matter of taste, I have strong heavy metal roots as my avatar suggests.

The music in the end is an old Soviet WWII song that I like, it talks about tanks rumbling in the fields and dying young tank commanders with blood on their heads. So I think it relates.

But I know it won't be to everyones liking, and whatever I would have choosen would have been the same. Bottom line, I think the music represents me well. It's my channel after all.

The most important thing to me is the content, which I hope will help people as much as I was helped by material that those before me created, including your AARs :-)

Post #: 7
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 1:03:23 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Correct in what you said here. I am sure many will love the music and we will hear those voices coming shortly to voice their liking and support.

quote:

For the intro, at first I had chosen a song named "Russian Winter" by swiss band Krokus, but Youtube didn't like it and it bugged me even if I could still use it. What I choose instead is a very old band of mine, so the music is 100% my own and I like the fury in the guitar solo. I think it fits really well with the Stukas diving and the T-34's. But of course that is all a matter of taste, I have strong heavy metal roots as my avatar suggests.

The music in the end is an old Soviet WWII song that I like, it talks about tanks rumbling in the fields and dying young tank commanders with blood on their heads. So I think it relates.

But I know it won't be to everyones liking, and whatever I would have choosen would have been the same. Bottom line, I think the music represents me well. It's my channel after all.

The most important thing to me is the content, which I hope will help people as much as I was helped by material that those before me created, including your AARs :-)

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 8
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 1:15:10 AM   
budd

Good job, i'll definitely find this useful, especially the SU video. I'm not a min/max player, don't have the attention span or stamina or time to take 2+ hours on one turn so these will help me focus on important elements. In the future maybe a video on turn order, meaning how a turn is approached, the order of how things are done, things shall we say.

I liked the music, a bit of a metal head myself [80's style ] Didn't know Krokus was a swiss band.

Don't "stay awake all night" doing these videos, sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks and " up the irons"

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 9
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 1:40:17 AM   
Kilo59

Nice work! Thanks!

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 10
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/14/2020 12:38:56 PM   
joelmar

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy :-)

@budd happy you liked the music. Your request is noted. I already have a few ideas that came to me from new players reading questions and also seeing problems with very basic things in AAR's. But your request is also a big question mark for many people. I think everyone has his own process for a turn, mine is loosely based on ideas from many players, and is not always the same. Some come from unpleasant experiences... I mean, "don't forget to repair your rails" should be on top of the list! lol! Anyway, I will try to round up the most important features.

< Message edited by joelmar -- 4/14/2020 12:39:39 PM >

(in reply to Kilo59)
Post #: 11
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/16/2020 6:04:53 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Good project, had a look at some parts of the videos and well done on the explanation and visualisation! Added this to the library as 7.6, thanks to Telemecus for the hint.
Regards
EvK

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 4/16/2020 6:08:25 PM >

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 12
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/16/2020 7:25:35 PM   
joelmar

@EwaldvonKleist

Really cool thanks, much appreciated!

That said, I may sound a bit weird when I speak english, as most french-canadians do, but the videos are definitely in english! So maybe not at the right place?

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 13
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/16/2020 10:56:40 PM   
Novaliz

I am looking forward to new videos! Thanks! :D

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 14
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/17/2020 3:08:30 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

quote:

@EwaldvonKleist

Really cool thanks, much appreciated!

That said, I may sound a bit weird when I speak english, as most french-canadians do, but the videos are definitely in english! So maybe not at the right place?

This is a a possible (and obvious) interpretation of the headline that I missed, sorry about that! Will make it 1.18 then and adopt the headline accordingly. Needless to say, your English is fine!
(I simply added "and videos" to the last category and did not think about the connection with "foreign language")

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 15
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/21/2020 3:24:26 PM   
joelmar

@EwaldVonKleist

Sorry, I didn't see your answer which is weird. No problem of course and very appreciated. A pleasure to be in your "Alexandria" Library of WitE!

Thanks a lot sir!

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 16
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/21/2020 4:50:20 PM   
CJM

God BLESS you for this!!!!!

The Wehrmacht that set out to conquer Russia in 1941 was a poor army with strictly limited resources.
- Supplying War (1977)

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 17
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/21/2020 5:10:47 PM   
Spanno

Thanks for the videos, they help a lot.

(in reply to CJM)
Post #: 18
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/21/2020 11:02:01 PM   
Colbert

Wwonderful videos! I am going to be referring others to see these.

(in reply to Spanno)
Post #: 19
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 4/22/2020 10:50:27 AM   
Chef Chaudard

Thanks a lot for your videos !!!
They are really nice (and useful).
I just discovered your WITE tracker. Another nice tool !
I have got some suggestions :
1 - As there are curves for the different OOBs, could it be possible to have the same curves with the losses ?
2 - Could it be possible to get the OOB "merged" into a single curve, in order to easily compare the OOBs of the different sides (Axis and Soviet Union) ?
That'all, and thanks again for your great work !

(in reply to Colbert)
Post #: 20
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 5/27/2020 4:14:24 PM   
king171717

Saw these a while back but forgot to comment, Nice work man! very well done

(in reply to Chef Chaudard)
Post #: 21
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 5/27/2020 7:58:10 PM   
joelmar

quote:

@Chef Chaudard
Thank you :-) Sorry, I missed your comment.
For the losses curves, it could probably be done, it depends on the data available, I would have to check but will put it on the check list and will do what I can when I get a chance :-)
For merging the OOB's of both sides, I know it could be done but it's not so easy sadly.

quote:

@king171717
Thanks really appreciated!

(in reply to king171717)
Post #: 22
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 5/27/2020 10:37:48 PM   
thedoctorking

"Corps" in the military sense is originally a French word, and it is the same word they use to refer to the body of a person or animal (living or dead). The Napoleonic armies first used the word in the contemporary sense, of a military unit subordinate to an army that had all the different components of the ground forces. Napoleonic terminology got into American usage through the works of Jomini, a military theorist who had served on Napoleon's staff; the term was introduced in the US during our Civil War. Because the concept and term were adopted into English directly from French, the military sense has kept the French pronunciation, while we have added a final "e" and pronounced the word in the English style with all the consonants to refer to the body of a dead person (or animal).

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 23
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 5/28/2020 4:18:23 PM   
Hanny

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking
"Corps" in the military sense is originally a French word,

Originally a Latin word, corpus a body, in French it is singular, the body.

quote:

The Napoleonic armies first used the word in the contemporary sense, of a military unit subordinate to an army that had all the different components of the ground forces.

Although the French Ballon Corps de Army existed before that, and so did Garde de Corps formations before Napoelon was born, https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4ChFAAAAcAAJ&pg=PP130&lpg=PP130&dq=corps+de+gaurd+created&source=bl&ots=lYi8cl0FIw&sig=ACfU3U0LXaFs1oshxGcd8lv-FmKDfFQEXA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj926qP-tbpAhXeQEEAHWlFBzQQ6AEwGHoECBEQAQ#v=onepage&q=corps%20de%20gaurd%20created&f=false

quote:

Napoleonic terminology got into American usage through the works of Jomini, a military theorist who had served on Napoleon's staff; the term was introduced in the US during our Civil War.

US Corps and Eng and US Marine Corps existed before the WBTS, both created before Jomni was born.

USA went to war with Mexico using a Corps system, see https://history.army.mil/html/books/073/73-3/CMH_Pub_73-3.pdf

beware of thinking what you read on wiki is accurate.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 5/28/2020 4:27:24 PM >

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 24
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 5/28/2020 4:23:55 PM   
Hanny

quote:

Congrats on a very helpful channel for new comers to the game!.

By law youtube has to run a software check for copyright infringement, and block access, so when you upload, you will see one copyright infringement, and thats ok, as its from the WiTE game itself, to many and your video will be blocked by youtube.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 25
RE: Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube - 5/29/2020 7:30:35 PM   
joelmar

it seems that I had a great success with my "corpse" blooper! At least it has created some discussion

BTW, my native language is french.

@Hanny Thanks for the good comments, much appreciated Sadly, I didn't have time to do others yet, but I have some ideas.

For the song copyrights, Youtube only blocked the possibility of adding adds, which I didn't really care about, but I didn't want to see that warning everytime I open the video management page so I decided to change it. No copyright warning from WitE at all.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Joelmar's WitE Channel on Youtube Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI