Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:09:10 PM   
Canoerebel

The most recent Univ. of Washington projection for Georgia (issued over the weekend). As the state eases countermeasures, this will serve as a base line for evaluating future projections and results.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5401
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:09:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Stunning news here:

Kentucky sees highest spike in coronavirus cases after protests against lockdown

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/493707-kentucky-sees-highest-spike-in-coronavirus-cases?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if the Coronavirus is indifferent or if it actually has a sense of humor.

The Governor just announced he would follow the CDC guidelines and not reopen. The Hill is just trying to mock fly-over country. Stupid headline. The same thing is happening in California but you don't hear about it because it doesn't help the narrative. In California it is surfers and beachgoers. A guy on a paddleboard got chased by the harbor patrol boat and handcuffed and his board confiscated. They have to chase people off the beach. It's going to be 90 F this weekend and great weather. They will need to bring the Marines up from Pendleton to keep people off the beach.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 5402
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:13:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, the headline is misleading. It implies that the protestors spread the virus among themselves by mingling. If they did it would be too soon to tell.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5403
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:13:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

"high speed pursuit" Malibu

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/paddleboarder-arrested-in-malibu-for-refusing-to-exit-water/

Post #: 5404
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:42:48 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

... while they thought nobody was looking, they arrested a bunch of pro-democracy figures in Hong Kong last weekend...

You overlooked something else done last weekend. China has just created 2 new administrative districts in the Paracel and Spratly islands.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-20/vietnam-protests-beijings-expansion-in-disputed-south-china-sea/12165646

This action has far longer term ramifications than the Hong Kong arrests for it represents outright de facto annexation. It moves the South China Sea conflict from one over internationally disputed islands to one over established sovereign Chinese land. At least that is the legal narrative China will present to any legal challenge made under the Law of the Sea rules.

Alfred

It has already lost concerning the Spratley Islands:

International Court Issues Unanimous Award in Philippines v. China Case on South China Sea
The Court’s award is in the Philippines’ favor on most questions.

https://thediplomat.com/2016/07/international-court-issues-unanimous-award-in-philippines-v-china-case-on-south-china-sea/

I am aware of that 2016 judgement. Whilst it is a solid legal victory to the Philippines it is silent on where sovereignty lies. Which is what the weekend's development is all about, establishing under customary international law, actual Chinese sovereignty.

Alfred

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5405
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:48:36 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

"high speed pursuit" Malibu

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/paddleboarder-arrested-in-malibu-for-refusing-to-exit-water/

"Kim Prather, a leading atmospheric chemist at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, said the beaches are so dangerous right now that she wouldn’t even go in the water for $1 million.

“The ocean churns up all kinds of particulate and microscopic pathogens, and every time the ocean sneezes with a big wave or two, it sprays these particles into the air,” Prather said in a statement."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/21/2020 4:56:24 PM >

Post #: 5406
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 4:58:12 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

... while they thought nobody was looking, they arrested a bunch of pro-democracy figures in Hong Kong last weekend...

You overlooked something else done last weekend. China has just created 2 new administrative districts in the Paracel and Spratly islands.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-20/vietnam-protests-beijings-expansion-in-disputed-south-china-sea/12165646

This action has far longer term ramifications than the Hong Kong arrests for it represents outright de facto annexation. It moves the South China Sea conflict from one over internationally disputed islands to one over established sovereign Chinese land. At least that is the legal narrative China will present to any legal challenge made under the Law of the Sea rules.

Alfred

That's why the USN does drive bys.

Kim just had heart surgery. Putin is a tin pot dictator. Xi is the real menace.

Actually, the "drive bys" or to give it is more correct title, Freedom of Navigation exercises, are only a half hearted exercise with limited legal value. That is because , whilst they approach, they do not cross the 12 nm territorial water boundary. IOW they operate purely in international waters. One doesn't need permission to traverse international waters. Just because China claims that permission from it is required to sail through these waters does not mean it is so in law. Nor would the legal situation be different were they to be operating in Chinese economic zone waters, which by the way UNCLOS specifically excludes a zone arising from low tide rocks, notwithstanding why China says.

If one really wants to make the point, one would sail within the 12 nm limit. That is a clear statement that Chinese sovereignty is not recognised. Of course that would result in a physical confrontation.

Alfred

Post #: 5407
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 7:11:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

Coronavirus: Nine in 10 dying have existing illness
16 April 2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52308783

"More than nine in 10 people dying with coronavirus have an underlying health condition, figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

The ONS looked at nearly 4,000 deaths during March in England and Wales where coronavirus was mentioned on the death certificate.

In 91% of cases the individuals had other health problems.

The most common was heart disease, followed by dementia and respiratory illness.

On average, people dying also had roughly three other health conditions."

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5408
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 7:20:46 PM   
MakeeLearn

The Medical Argument Against ‘Stay-At-Home’ Orders
April 14, 2020

https://www.fitsnews.com/2020/04/14/the-medical-argument-against-stay-at-home-orders/

"Knut M. Wittkowski, He is an epidemiologist. The chief executive officer of Asdera LLC – a company which researches treatments for complex diseases – Wittkowski spent 20 years leading the department of biostatistics, epidemiology and research design at The Rockefeller University in New York City.

"“What people are trying to do is flatten the curve,” Wittkowski said. “I don’t really know why. But, what happens is if you flatten the curve, you also prolong … widen it, and it takes more time. And I don’t see a good reason for a respiratory disease to stay in the population longer than necessary.”"

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/21/2020 7:21:41 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5409
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/21/2020 7:33:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

April 14, 2020

https://www.fitsnews.com/2020/04/14/the-medical-argument-against-stay-at-home-orders/

"Knut M. Wittkowski, He is an epidemiologist. The chief executive officer of Asdera LLC – a company which researches treatments for complex diseases – Wittkowski spent 20 years leading the department of biostatistics, epidemiology and research design at The Rockefeller University in New York City.

"“What people are trying to do is flatten the curve,” Wittkowski said. “I don’t really know why. But, what happens is if you flatten the curve, you also prolong … widen it, and it takes more time. And I don’t see a good reason for a respiratory disease to stay in the population longer than necessary.”"

A good point. I think we need to keep in mind *why* we all Americans (young, old, sick, vulnerable, healthy, resistant) were under extreme and uniform quarantine orders-to 'flatten the curve'. Not indefinitely-nobody was proposing that-but to keep enough ICU beds available for the sickest people for the initial viral surge. I think we've done that pretty well.

Now we need to avoid 'mission creep'. Flatten the curve? Reduce a rush on ICUs and ventilators? It's been done. There are demonstrable arguments against keeping everything uniformly closed down until the virus decides to go to zero.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5410
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:11:26 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

April 14, 2020

A good point. I think we need to keep in mind *why* we all Americans (young, old, sick, vulnerable, healthy, resistant) were under extreme and uniform quarantine orders-to 'flatten the curve'. Not indefinitely-nobody was proposing that-but to keep enough ICU beds available for the sickest people for the initial viral surge. I think we've done that pretty well.

Now we need to avoid 'mission creep'. Flatten the curve? Reduce a rush on ICUs and ventilators? It's been done. There are demonstrable arguments against keeping everything uniformly closed down until the virus decides to go to zero.

Not only that, now some treatments are known and some things not to do are known.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5411
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:49:20 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

April 14, 2020

The "mission creep"argument is a good point. Are we really going to shut down the economy until a vaccine is available and we have 7 billion doses?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5412
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:54:06 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

April 14, 2020

The "mission creep"argument is a good point. Are we really going to shut down the economy until a vaccine is available and we have 7 billion doses?

If we do we will have to appeal to the Martians to buy the vaccine doses for us.

Post #: 5413
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 1:44:39 AM   
Canoerebel

Sure enough, Univ. Washington revised its projections this evening. Here's the new chart for Georgia, with about 600 more mortalities. This revisions may or may not have taken into consideration the pending easing of countermeasures.

As a whole, USA nudged upward in mortalities but remains pretty stable. I think NY stayed about the same. Florida up a bit, but not much. California remains low.

UK dropped a bit, I believe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5414
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 1:47:44 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

That's why the USN does drive bys.

Kim just had heart surgery. Putin is a tin pot dictator. Xi is the real menace.

Actually, the "drive bys" or to give it is more correct title, Freedom of Navigation exercises, are only a half hearted exercise with limited legal value. That is because , whilst they approach, they do not cross the 12 nm territorial water boundary. IOW they operate purely in international waters. One doesn't need permission to traverse international waters. Just because China claims that permission from it is required to sail through these waters does not mean it is so in law. Nor would the legal situation be different were they to be operating in Chinese economic zone waters, which by the way UNCLOS specifically excludes a zone arising from low tide rocks, notwithstanding why China says.

If one really wants to make the point, one would sail within the 12 nm limit. That is a clear statement that Chinese sovereignty is not recognised. Of course that would result in a physical confrontation.

Alfred

Here are two stories showing USN vessels sailing WITHIN 12 nautical miles of Spratly Islands occupied by China:

US Navy ship sails near disputed shoal claimed by China

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-navy-sails-past-disputed-artificial-islands-claimed/story?id=60993256

These kinds of missions should be stepped up.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5415
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:15:12 AM   
CaptBeefheart

By the way, the news cycle shifted a bit yesterday in Korea after CNN reported Li'l Kim was in "grave" condition. Every two-bit North Korea "expert" with a Twitter account saw fit to opine. To anyone who asked me about it, my response was: "It's CNN. Is that the most trustworthy name in news?"

Today I wake up and find crickets chirping on that CNN "scoop."

You gents are probably sick of my S. Korean updates. Anyway, the news is still very good here. I'll chime in if something goes awry.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5416
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:21:23 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

By the way, the news cycle shifted a bit yesterday in Korea after CNN reported Li'l Kim was in "grave" condition. Every two-bit North Korea "expert" with a Twitter account saw fit to opine. To anyone who asked me about it, my response was: "It's CNN. Is that the most trustworthy name in news?"

You gents are probably sick of my S. Korean updates. Anyway, the news is still very good here. I'll chime in if something goes awry.

Cheers,
CB

No! I really really appreciate your updates from 'the front', CaptBeefheart. Please continue to contribute, I value your input.

Post #: 5417
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:37:58 AM   
CaptBeefheart

OK, Poultry Lad (if I may call you that). Here's today's Yonhap News story: S. Korea reports 11 more cases of new coronavirus, total now at 10,694

Not much new to report, really. There may be a slowdown in patients based on fear (not government regulations), but hospitals are operating as usual, meaning elective surgeries are being done and I haven't heard of anyone in the medical profession getting laid off like I see in the States. To me, medical layoffs is a clear sign of government overreaction. Just because something is "elective" doesn't mean it's not time sensitive or a quality of life issue. If certain talking head doctors and Hollywood celebrities had their way, the U.S. would be in a lockdown until a vaccine came out. Great way to create "Mad Max" in real life.

Cheers,
CB

< Message edited by CaptBeefheart -- 4/22/2020 2:38:51 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5418
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:58:48 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Cheers,
CB

No! I really really appreciate your updates from 'the front', CaptBeefheart. Please continue to contribute, I value your input.

I agree, same here.

Joe

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5419
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 3:16:06 AM   
Canoerebel

+ 1 It's great to get firsthand reports from a country that's on the good side of the bell curve. Keep reporting from Korea, Captain Beefheart.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5420
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 5:26:34 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Awwww, feeling the love over here. Here's a feelgood story from the Boston Herald: As baseball restarts in South Korea, can MLB learn from the KBO? Warning: No cheerleaders in the photo.

Preseason started yesterday and regular season games start on May 5, which is Children's Day here. The stadia are empty, of course. I've heard different rumors as to when we'll be able to head to the park and spend a pleasant socially distant afternoon watching the cheerleaders and enjoying draft beer delivered seatside (hopefully that won't change).

To me it makes a lot of sense for the MLB to start playing games in Arizona before too long.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5421
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 7:13:35 AM   
Sardaukar

I think most of us are in "risk group", tend to be older (myself 53).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 5422
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 7:33:56 AM   
JeffroK

I love a positive attitude, as the US approaches a daily reported death toll which has surpassed the Marines death toll on Tarawa and is fast approaching the deaths incurred on 6 June 1944 many think things are under control.

But how bad are the US numbers, with approx 2200 deaths reported in 1 day this is swamped by the UK numbers of 840 reported deaths. the US population is roughly 5-6 times larger than the UK, which results in the UK numbers being relatively twice as bad as in the USA.

We often complain here about the tyranny of distance, the extra cost involved in being isolated from Europe & the USA, now we are so grateful to be able to easily close our borders, can operate our shutdown in a fairly accepted environment and are frankly amazed at some of the goings on in other nations.

So continue to behave in any way you want, you may be lucky and avoid the disease, but realise that even the FOX news reporters are smart enough to isolate themselves despite the news they report.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5423
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 7:51:45 AM   
alanschu

Saw this take which attempted to explore the impacts in fatalities in the UK by assessing deaths this season compared to seasons past.

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d05-43bc-ba03-e239799fa6ab

Estimates that the total deaths related (directly and indirectly caused) to Covid in the UK are probably closer to 41,000 (not 17-18,000). Given that they are just looking at total deaths, it seems as though "indirectly" is account for at the very least additional deaths that could not be treated due to impacts on NHS.

The ONS data showed that deaths registered in the week ending April 10 were 75 per cent above normal in England and Wales, the highest level for more than 20 years.

There were 18,516 deaths registered during that period compared with the most recent five year average of 10,520 for the same week of the year. There were similar patterns in Scotland and Northern Ireland 

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5424
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 9:52:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

I love a positive attitude, as the US approaches a daily reported death toll which has surpassed the Marines death toll on Tarawa and is fast approaching the deaths incurred on 6 June 1944 many think things are under control.

But how bad are the US numbers, with approx 2200 deaths reported in 1 day this is swamped by the UK numbers of 840 reported deaths. the US population is roughly 5-6 times larger than the UK, which results in the UK numbers being relatively twice as bad as in the USA.

We often complain here about the tyranny of distance, the extra cost involved in being isolated from Europe & the USA, now we are so grateful to be able to easily close our borders, can operate our shutdown in a fairly accepted environment and are frankly amazed at some of the goings on in other nations.

So continue to behave in any way you want, you may be lucky and avoid the disease, but realise that even the FOX news reporters are smart enough to isolate themselves despite the news they report.
warspite1

How very.... smug of you .

Well I am genuinely glad its working out for our antipodean friends and you've avoided the higher numbers seen elsewhere. Sadly some of us are not having the same success for whatever reasons. Not really sure of the need for that post but there you go.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5425
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 11:49:15 AM   
MakeeLearn

With so many nursing homes hit by CoVid19, I would say that it is everywhere and a very high number of people have been exposed to it. Thus, mortality rate <1%.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5426
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 11:53:52 AM   
MakeeLearn

During the past week the mornings have had a very "Treey" smell.

The Trees

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
And they're quite convinced they're right
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream, "oppression"
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
"The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light"
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet
Axe
And saw

-Rush

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5427
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 11:54:42 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

Spurious comparisons with no validity......much like the remainder of your disgusting post.

Hans

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5428
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:05:57 PM   
MakeeLearn

More than half of detainees at Fla. immigration facility have been exposed to coronavirus
5 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/more-than-half-of-detainees-at-fla-immigration-facility-have-been-exposed-to-coronavirus/ar-BB130efD?li=BBnb7Kz

"MIAMI — More than half of the detainees inside an immigration detention center in Miami-Dade County have been exposed to COVID-19, U.S. government officials said in a federal court filing Tuesday."

"In a sworn statement filed in Miami federal court, Liana J. Castano, the acting director in charge of the Krome facility, said eight staff members have tested positive for the virus and that 350 detainees, whom the government has identified as being exposed to the illness, are being quarantined together, a practice that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement calls “cohorting.”"

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/22/2020 12:06:41 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5429
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:10:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

Coronavirus cases are likely 10 to 20 times higher in US than reported, former FDA chief Gottlieb says
Apr 21 2020

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/coronavirus-cases-are-likely-10-to-20-times-higher-in-us-than-reported-former-fda-chief-gottlieb-says.html

" The real number of coronavirus cases in the United States is likely significantly higher — as much as 10 or even 20 times higher — than the tally of Covid-19 infections currently being reported, a former federal health official said.

“There’s certainly under-diagnosis going on,” said Dr. Scott Gottlieb.

Health experts say there needs to be much more coronavirus testing to better monitor the spread of the virus as states seek to reopen businesses and social settings."

"If Gottlieb is correct, that would mean that there are between almost 8 million and 15.75 million Americans who already have contracted the coronavirus, or between 2.4% to 4.8% of the U.S. population.

But it would also mean that the death rate from coronavirus cases could be markedly lower than official reports.

Gottlieb spoke a day after the publication of an analysis of the coronavirus outbreak in Los Angeles County, which estimated that the number of actual cases there is between 28 and 55 times greater than the number of confirmed cases, which as of Monday was just under 8,000."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5430
Page:   <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI