Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  180 181 [182] 183 184   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:12:54 PM   
MakeeLearn

Los Angeles study backs Stanford researchers' conclusion about high prevalence of COVID-19
USC researchers, who collaborated with Stanford, concluded that about 4% of Los Angeles County residents were infected with virus

Apr 21, 2020

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2020/04/21/los-angeles-study-backs-stanford-researchers-conclusion-about-high-prevalence-of-covid-19

"Days after Stanford University researchers issued an early draft of a study suggesting that up to 81,000 residents of Santa Clara County had been infected by COVID-19 as of early April, a team at the University of Southern California (USC) released its own serological study that similarly concludes that the disease is far more widespread — and less deadly — than official estimates indicate."

"The Stanford study, led by Assistant Professor Eran Bendavid, concluded that the mortality rate in Santa Clara County is between 0.12% and 0.2%. (In contrast, the county's mortality rate based solely on official cases and deaths as of last Friday, April 17, was 3.9%.) "

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/22/2020 12:13:11 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5431
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:15:27 PM   
Chickenboy

Screenshot from the Babylon Bee, a parody site. How Chik-Fil-A is recommending fighting COVID-19.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5432
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:16:56 PM   
MakeeLearn

Autopsies find first U.S. coronavirus death occurred in early February, weeks earlier than previously thought
59 mins ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/autopsies-find-first-us-coronavirus-death-occurred-in-early-february-weeks-earlier-than-previously-thought/ar-BB131mhb?li=BBnb7Kz

"At least two people who died in early and mid-February had contracted the novel coronavirus, health officials in California said Tuesday, signaling that the virus may have spread — and claimed lives — in the United States weeks earlier than previously thought.

Tissue samples taken during autopsies of two individuals who died at home in Santa Clara County, Calif., tested positive for the virus, local health officials said in a statement. The victims died on Feb. 6 and Feb. 17, respectively.'

"“The fact that there were deaths related to covid back in early February is very significant because it means the virus was around for a lot longer than was initially realized,” Jeff Smith, a physician and the county executive in Santa Clara, told The Washington Post. “It’s been around for a while and it’s probably been spreading in the community for quite some time.” "

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/22/2020 12:17:31 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5433
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:21:46 PM   
MakeeLearn

Bat-Fil-A

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/22/2020 12:23:51 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5434
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:27:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Autopsies find first U.S. coronavirus death occurred in early February, weeks earlier than previously thought
59 mins ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/autopsies-find-first-us-coronavirus-death-occurred-in-early-february-weeks-earlier-than-previously-thought/ar-BB131mhb?li=BBnb7Kz

"At least two people who died in early and mid-February had contracted the novel coronavirus, health officials in California said Tuesday, signaling that the virus may have spread — and claimed lives — in the United States weeks earlier than previously thought.

Tissue samples taken during autopsies of two individuals who died at home in Santa Clara County, Calif., tested positive for the virus, local health officials said in a statement. The victims died on Feb. 6 and Feb. 17, respectively.'

"“The fact that there were deaths related to covid back in early February is very significant because it means the virus was around for a lot longer than was initially realized,” Jeff Smith, a physician and the county executive in Santa Clara, told The Washington Post. “It’s been around for a while and it’s probably been spreading in the community for quite some time.” "

Reminds me of the old medical saw by Robin Cook:

"Surgeons know nothing but do everything. Internists know everything but do nothing. Pathologists know everything and do everything but too late."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5435
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:30:52 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"Surgeons know nothing but do everything. Internists know everything but do nothing. Pathologists know everything and do everything but too late."

1++
That applies to SO many things

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5436
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:31:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

59 mins ago

Interesting piece.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5437
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:35:09 PM   
HansBolter

We now have the 'let's lock down our economy until it collapses so Trump won't get reelected' crowd throwing out the posit that perhaps lock down protesters should have to wave their right to medical treatment.

The obvious counter to that is positing that those who want to hide in their homes refusing to go back to work should have to sign away their 'right' to economic relief from their government.

Economic and physical well being are not easy things to balance and jingoistic approaches slamming one side or the other accomplish nothing more than raising the ire of the side with the opposing viewpoint.

It's probably clear to most with functional grey matter that localized approaches have varied widely with some erring way too heavily on the side of caution and others erring way too heavily on the cavalier side.

How do you balance things like the story coming out of PA about a consignment shop owner being prevented from selling children's clothes while Wal Mart and Target keep right on doing so? How about the overreaches by border line Nazi Governors who target religious liberty by disallowing drive in church services while allowing every fast food drive through in the state to remain open? That one, by the way, has already been stooped by a court order.

Nothing about this is easy.

Hans

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5438
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:36:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

If CoVid19 went from Wuhan, China to the Amazon, in a few months, that $#%^ is EVERYWHERE.

quote:

Wed 1 Apr 2020 20.51 EDT

Brazil confirms first indigenous case of coronavirus in Amazon

Positive test for 20-year-old woman from Kokama tribe comes amid fears virus could devastate remote communities
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/02/brazil-confirms-first-indigenous-case-of-coronavirus-in-amazon

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 4/22/2020 12:47:08 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5439
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 12:46:42 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

We now have the 'let's lock down our economy until it collapses so Trump won't get reelected' crowd throwing out the posit that perhaps lock down protesters should have to wave their right to medical treatment.

The obvious counter to that is positing that those who want to hide in their homes refusing to go back to work should have to sign away their 'right' to economic relief from their government.

Economic and physical well being are not easy things to balance and jingoistic approaches slamming one side or the other accomplish nothing more than raising the ire of the side with the opposing viewpoint.

It's probably clear to most with functional grey matter that localized approaches have varied widely with some erring way too heavily on the side of caution and others erring way too heavily on the cavalier side.

How do you balance things like the story coming out of PA about a consignment shop owner being prevented from selling children's clothes while Wal Mart and Target keep right on doing so? How about the overreaches by border line Nazi Governors who target religious liberty by disallowing drive in church services while allowing every fast food drive through in the state to remain open? That one, by the way, has already been stooped by a court order.

Nothing about this is easy.

We need to cover ourselves with Take-Out food wrappers for protection.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5440
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 1:16:06 PM   
fcooke

Morning folks.

I've taken to pretty much not watching 'the news'. It has pretty much scared my 75 year old Mom to death (she lives in West Ireland - so pretty safe). But the hype she gets from Fox and CNN sends her into spin fits (apologies to anyone who likes those sources - I told her maybe the BBC and Reuters might be better choices).

All that said - it sickens me that politicians of all ilks have seen this as an opportunity to score political points. Disgusting.

If I hear one more time about 'the other side' did or did not do X or Y, blah, blah, blah, I will need to order in more booze. Here in NY last time I checked we were all Americans. My passport does not say 'Republican or Democrat'. Same elsewhere in the world. In the UK Labor or Conservative leaning folks carry the same passport.

All that said, I still carry my Irish passport - better international access than my US one....

Rant off.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5441
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 1:16:07 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

I love a positive attitude, as the US approaches a daily reported death toll which has surpassed the Marines death toll on Tarawa and is fast approaching the deaths incurred on 6 June 1944 many think things are under control.

But how bad are the US numbers, with approx 2200 deaths reported in 1 day this is swamped by the UK numbers of 840 reported deaths. the US population is roughly 5-6 times larger than the UK, which results in the UK numbers being relatively twice as bad as in the USA.

We often complain here about the tyranny of distance, the extra cost involved in being isolated from Europe & the USA, now we are so grateful to be able to easily close our borders, can operate our shutdown in a fairly accepted environment and are frankly amazed at some of the goings on in other nations.

So continue to behave in any way you want, you may be lucky and avoid the disease, but realise that even the FOX news reporters are smart enough to isolate themselves despite the news they report.
warspite1

How very.... smug of you .

Well I am genuinely glad its working out for our antipodean friends and you've avoided the higher numbers seen elsewhere. Sadly some of us are not having the same success for whatever reasons. Not really sure of the need for that post but there you go.

So many of us writing posts as if somehow this were the endpoint of the pandemic and our own involvement. Not that people may be thinking that, but the posts come out that way. The Australian initial success is great, but unless a vaccine magically appears and works sooner than a vaccine has ever been developed, we're all in this for the long haul.

That means that whatever is happening now, while tragic, is perhaps only the tip of the effect this will cause. There are already articles coming out now about how the winter in the US might be worse than this initial outbreak. I imagine that applies to Europe and elsewhere, and we still don't know for sure about how immunity will be protective in the long run either.

A lot of questions and a long time to go.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5442
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 1:23:03 PM   
fcooke

And a further thought.....the people on this forum consistently show their intelligence and critical thinking. Can a bunch of you run for the various higher offices in your homelands? Being retired I would do the same, but having worked on 'Wall Street', albeit in the back office, I would not stand a snowball's chance......

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5443
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 1:43:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

And a further thought.....the people on this forum consistently show their intelligence and critical thinking. Can a bunch of you run for the various higher offices in your homelands? Being retired I would do the same, but having worked on 'Wall Street', albeit in the back office, I would not stand a snowball's chance......

While I play around with the notion occasionally, my wife has made it abundantly clear that she has no intention of being a politician's wife. So you can dispense with your "Chickenboy for President" bumper stickers I guess*.

*But she can't stop a write in ballot drive.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 5444
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:10:59 PM   
Canoerebel

Most of us love history, so that helps us keep this in perspective. While this is one of the gripping stories of our time it bears no resemblance to what our grandparents and great-grandparents experienced a century ago. They dealt with something like 40 million to 100 million Spanish flu deaths and a world war. Coronavirus mortality, in comparison, is an order of magnitude less, is projected to remain so, and most of us are safely at home or at work with plenty of food, power, entertainment, books, etc.

There's also the fact that originally this was projected to be exponentially more significant than its been or appears likely to be. Early on, as we've noted here many times, an Australian group came up with seven projections, the least of which called for 17 million deaths worldwide. Then there was a US estimate calling for 1.7 million deaths. Then came one for California alone to suffer 200k to 500k. Then the oft-sighted projection that the US would suffer 100k to 240k mortalities three weeks ago. Now, the estimates for the US have stabilized at around 60k to 70k. That's a great deal of death but so much fewer than early estimates and so much less than the Spanish flu...and the world survived that.

People are trying to foresee what the future holds and to get ready. Early projections will probably be about as accurate as they were for this round. But mankind is getting a grip on this, through lots of trial and error and guesswork and deductive reasoning and testing. We flattened the curve, which was the dominant approach advocated early on. And it's good that we'll now test various measures of easing, while many/most hospitals have capacity to deal with flare ups. The knowledge gained will be useful when/if the next round comes.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/22/2020 2:40:11 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5445
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:28:12 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

I love a positive attitude, as the US approaches a daily reported death toll which has surpassed the Marines death toll on Tarawa and is fast approaching the deaths incurred on 6 June 1944 many think things are under control.

But how bad are the US numbers, with approx 2200 deaths reported in 1 day this is swamped by the UK numbers of 840 reported deaths. the US population is roughly 5-6 times larger than the UK, which results in the UK numbers being relatively twice as bad as in the USA.

We often complain here about the tyranny of distance, the extra cost involved in being isolated from Europe & the USA, now we are so grateful to be able to easily close our borders, can operate our shutdown in a fairly accepted environment and are frankly amazed at some of the goings on in other nations.

So continue to behave in any way you want, you may be lucky and avoid the disease, but realise that even the FOX news reporters are smart enough to isolate themselves despite the news they report.
warspite1

How very.... smug of you .

Well I am genuinely glad its working out for our antipodean friends and you've avoided the higher numbers seen elsewhere. Sadly some of us are not having the same success for whatever reasons. Not really sure of the need for that post but there you go.

So many of us writing posts as if somehow this were the endpoint of the pandemic and our own involvement. Not that people may be thinking that, but the posts come out that way. The Australian initial success is great, but unless a vaccine magically appears and works sooner than a vaccine has ever been developed, we're all in this for the long haul.

That means that whatever is happening now, while tragic, is perhaps only the tip of the effect this will cause. There are already articles coming out now about how the winter in the US might be worse than this initial outbreak. I imagine that applies to Europe and elsewhere, and we still don't know for sure about how immunity will be protective in the long run either.

A lot of questions and a long time to go.

Context: I have seen Dr Fauci on multiple occasions say that Trump has 1) done what he and the other medical authorities there (he once mentioned Dr Birx by name) asked him to do every time, and 2) not done what Dr Fauci asked him not to do (explaining that Trump would run a suggestion by him and Dr Fauci would tell him "that's not supported by the science", and Trump took his advice and refrained from doing it).

Last week I think it was, CNN had a headline to the effect "Fauci Unloads on Trump!" saying thousands could have been saved if Trump had ordered restrictions sooner. Fauci went back on air and repeated that Trump has done what he asked when he asked, every time. He further explained that he was asked a hypothetical question and answered it as hypothetical; he did not "unload on Trump" nor mean to imply Trump should have acted before the medical experts asked him to. The media outlet was absurdly implying that Trump should have been ahead of the government's subject matter experts. We are all the audience for that crap. They don't want you to think. They don't want you to analyze.

Many or most in media are looking for sensational declarations to prop up themselves and further whatever their particular position is. They often distort to the point of fabrication (keep in mind: when you undertake to deceive you are lying, no matter if you dress up the lies with some true facts). And BTW the rating of NYT that Obvert posted a while back and John Dillworth subsequently listing Pulitzer Prize winner publications noting they can be trusted because of that: I see them all publish falsehoods aplenty. Each assertion in each article must stand on its own, regardless of the source. Trusting the story teller is only a starting point. Which also means even the worst story teller can provide a nugget of gold once in a while (although often covered in **** which must be cleaned off).

We all get blasted with this stuff, the aim being to influence our opinions. With perfect knowledge all or almost every country out there could have done a better job. But is it true this country or that country behaved stupidly? None had perfect knowledge, and none have perfect knowledge now. All along even experts have been in substantial disagreement much of the time about various things regarding the virus, the disease, and the pandemic.

I am all for blaming those who behave wrongfully or who do truly stupid things. But throwing around shade, including when done for political benefit as is a major factor in the USA right now, is quite different than looking for lessons learned.

I am glad Australia is in a good position right now. Don't get comfortable and take things for granted. Stay alert and aware and keep reassessing what you need to do.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 4/22/2020 2:38:48 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5446
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:28:53 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

While I play around with the notion occasionally, my wife has made it abundantly clear that she has no intention of being a politician's wife. So you can dispense with your "Chickenboy for President" bumper stickers I guess*.

How about Emperor for Life?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5447
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:37:45 PM   
witpqs

This sort of thing doesn't help either:

Chinese Agents Spread Messages That Sowed Virus Panic in U.S., Officials Say

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5448
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:37:58 PM   
Lowpe

I thought Pulitzer Prize winning was a valid reason to be highly critical of their writing given their horrendous track record with honesty going back decades.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5449
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:43:38 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I thought Pulitzer Prize winning was a valid reason to be highly critical of their writing given their horrendous track record with honesty going back decades.

During the Roman triumphs (parades celebrating military victories) they had someone tasked to stand at the general's ear whispering (paraphrased) "you are only mortal" so the accolades (ancient Pulitzer Prize) didn't go to his head.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5450
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:56:08 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

During the Roman triumphs (parades celebrating military victories) they had someone tasked to stand at the general's ear whispering (paraphrased) "you are only mortal" so the accolades (ancient Pulitzer Prize) didn't go to his head.

Also because of pries and awards like that, reporters strive to outdo each other, get a scoop, and/or to try to increase their following. All that to make them feel important and relevant, instead of actually reporting the news. Walter Cronkite at least did not let his political leanings interfere with his reporting.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5451
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 2:56:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

You have to be slightly crazy to want to be POTUS. Sure, there is a certain attraction to dropping a JDAM on the Ayatollah's turbaned head but everything is so nasty now. Plus, there is no "time off". Suppose you get done with a news conference with the Grand Duke of Slobobia and you just want to throw back two or three martinis and watch Narcos and then you are sucking all the gloriousness out of the last olive of the third martini and some clown runs in.."Mr President! There is a North Korean nuke inbound!"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5452
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 3:01:10 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

1++
That applies to SO many things

I think that the only doctors that now make house calls in most countries are the coroners.

Although the Netherlands does have a system where doctors do make house calls, especially for the elderly or where something comes up that is urgent but not necessarily an emergency. If needed, a Christmas Taxi* will take the people to the hospital if said doctor thinks that it is warranted.

*Christmas Taxi is one that has flashing, colorful lights. It may also use a siren to get people attention.

― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5453
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 4:14:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about Emperor for Life?

What do I look like, Xi Jinping? Vladimir Putin? Kim jon Fat?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5454
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 4:23:22 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

This sort of thing doesn't help either:

Chinese Agents Spread Messages That Sowed Virus Panic in U.S., Officials Say

quote:

Also because of pries and awards like that, reporters strive to outdo each other, get a scoop, and/or to try to increase their following. All that to make them feel important and relevant, instead of actually reporting the news. Walter Cronkite at least did not let his political leanings interfere with his reporting.

Sorry. Not sure what you guys are talking about here. What doesn't help? Misinformation sent to people's cell phones aiming to incite panic? Or the article looking into it?

Having read the article it seems a good piece of journalism commenting on and researching about what happened with these messages. This is apparently a new method of disseminating information, and quite worrying.

So what is the complaint?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/us/politics/coronavirus-china-disinformation.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5455
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 5:15:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The part of this article I was able to read before the paywall popped up was reasonable but the editor of the NYT told his own newsroom they showed bias during the 2016 election. Like we needed him to tell us that. The NYT editorial board is a diversity check-list of Lefty lunatics.

American conservatives don't trust the NYT. Of course, there are the occasional "random acts of journalism" and the Times gets the best leaked government swamp stories

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5456
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 6:10:14 PM   
SuluSea

People are sick but no doubt we've had epidemics before but I can't shake the feeling that this is another hoax in a long line of them perpetrated by the 'mainstream' media the last 3 and a half years.

We have rights given by our forefathers (the Framers of the Constitution) and ain't no one taken mine away.

Ben Franklin said it best..."This [the U.S. Constitution] is likely to be administered for a course of years and then end in despotism... when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other."

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5457
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 6:32:20 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Sorry. Not sure what you guys are talking about here. What doesn't help? Misinformation sent to people's cell phones aiming to incite panic? Or the article looking into it?

My point was certainly off topic...simply that the Pulitzer Prize is a scam, has a history of fraud, and was created by one of the worst yellow journalist magnates of all time.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5458
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 6:50:35 PM   
Chickenboy

Troubling findings from AVMA...

@Hansbolter-check this out. Best to probably keep your cats indoor exclusive (mine are) until further notice.

Confirmation of COVID-19 in Two Pet Cats in New York

Washington, D.C. April 22, 2020 – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) today announced the first confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) infection in two pet cats. These are the first pets in the United States to test positive for SARS-CoV-2.

The cats live in two separate areas of New York state. Both had mild respiratory illness and are expected to make a full recovery. SARS-CoV-2 infections have been reported in very few animals worldwide, mostly in those that had close contact with a person with COVID-19.

At this time, routine testing of animals is not recommended. Should other animals be confirmed positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the United States, USDA will post the findings at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/SA_One_Health/sars-cov-2-animals-us. State animal health and public health officials will take the lead in making determinations about whether animals should be tested for SARS-CoV-2.

In the New York cases announced today, a veterinarian tested the first cat after it showed mild respiratory signs. No individuals in the household were confirmed to be ill with COVID-19. The virus may have been transmitted to this cat by mildly ill or asymptomatic household members or through contact with an infected person outside its home.

Samples from the second cat were taken after it showed signs of respiratory illness. The owner of the cat tested positive for COVID-19 prior to the cat showing signs. Another cat in the household has shown no signs of illness.

Both cats tested presumptive positive for SARS-CoV-2 at a private veterinary laboratory, which then reported the results to state and federal officials. The confirmatory testing was conducted at NVSL and included collection of additional samples. NVSL serves as an international reference laboratory and provides expertise and guidance on diagnostic techniques, as well as confirmatory testing for foreign and emerging animal diseases. Such testing is required for certain animal diseases in the U.S. in order to comply with national and international reporting procedures. The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) considers SARS-CoV-2 an emerging disease, and therefore USDA must report confirmed U.S. animal infections to the OIE.

Public health officials are still learning about SARS-CoV-2, but there is no evidence that pets play a role in spreading the virus in the United States. Therefore, there is no justification in taking measures against companion animals that may compromise their welfare. Further studies are needed to understand if and how different animals, including pets, could be affected.

Until we know more, CDC recommends the following:

Do not let pets interact with people or other animals outside the household.
Keep cats indoors when possible to prevent them from interacting with other animals or people.
Walk dogs on a leash, maintaining at least 6 feet from other people and animals.
Avoid dog parks or public places where a large number of people and dogs gather.

If you are sick with COVID-19 (either suspected or confirmed by a test), restrict contact with your pets and other animals, just like you would around other people.

When possible, have another member of your household care for your pets while you are sick.
Avoid contact with your pet, including petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food or bedding.
If you must care for your pet or be around animals while you are sick, wear a cloth face covering and wash your hands before and after you interact with them.

While additional animals may test positive as infections continue in people, it is important to note that performing this animal testing does not reduce the availability of tests for humans. The U.S. government remains committed to increasing nationwide COVID-19 testing for Americans. In fact, the United States has conducted more than four million COVID-19 tests for humans, which is more tests than the following nations combined: France, the UK, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, India, Austria, Australia, Sweden, and Canada.

For more information on animals and COVID-19, see: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

For more information about testing in animals, see:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/one_health/downloads/faq-public-on-companion-animal-testing.pdf

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5459
RE: OT: Corona virus - 4/22/2020 7:06:21 PM   
RangerJoe

Maybe no fishing opener for Wiscons? Maybe stay at home for Memorial Day?
No events for Veterans at cemeteries!?

Evers Extends Wisconsin Stay-At-Home Order Until May 26
Gov. Tony Evers has extended Wisconsin’s stay-at-home order for another month.

quote:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Gov. Tony Evers on Thursday closed all K-12 schools for the remainder of the academic year and extended Wisconsin's stay-at-home order for another month, keeping most nonessential businesses shuttered until after the Memorial Day holiday weekend to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Wisconsin Republicans reacted with anger to Evers' extension, threatening lawsuits, the firing of his health secretary and other curbs on his power. The president of Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce, the powerful state chamber of commerce, also called the legality of the order into question, saying it will lead to more businesses closing and people losing their jobs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/wisconsin/articles/2020-04-16/evers-tells-trump-wisconsin-faces-2-billion-in-losses

But there is hope:

Wisconsin Republicans sue Gov. Tony Evers over stay-at-home order

quote:

Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald asked the conservative-controlled Supreme Court to take the case directly, skipping lower courts and allowing for a faster final ruling. They argue Department of Health Services Secretary Andrea Palm exceeded her authority by exercising “czar-like powers.”

Vos and Fitzgerald said there was “immense frustration” with the extension, which the lawsuit argues if left in place will devastate the economy and leave Wisconsin “in shambles.” Protests against the order have popped up around the state, with one scheduled for Friday at the Capitol.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-wisconsin-stay-at-home-order-20200421-k33hw3eagnaipi5jgap4i67kbe-story.html

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5460
Page:   <<   < prev  180 181 [182] 183 184   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  180 181 [182] 183 184   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI