Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 4/26/2020 5:55:17 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

Something about Europa 1947.

PS. In anyway I have taken pause from this game and playing Europa 1947! What a brutal scenario!
TOAW 4 is splendid software.... Hmmm. maybe we old dogs must be used to some combats that have no casualties for one side and plenty for others (I am seeing this a lot in TOAW 4 I am talking about individual battles) and time machine canceled. Well, we kind of like it surrounding troops and killing it. Now, with timestamp there is penalty to enter that hex in movement points. But anyway TOAW 4 is superb product.

Few words on 1947 scenario. What I said very brutal scenario. In turn 3 Russians attacked more than 100 times. Like there is no tomorrow. So it is very hard for the Germans.... Some strange things happened. When Portugal joined Allies I have sent 2 French fleets from Brest, to block enterance in Portugal harbour. Elmer did send some Polish units into Porugal but took casualties, and also one big Allied fleet instead of attacking me moved closer to me and took a lot of casualties. OK me as well but it is good that PO do some stupid things.
Like attacking Rhodes in the same turn. First his Carriers took a minor damage passing near Rhodes and with counterbattery (I mean planes) he evaporated my coastal unit. Whole. I said what's that. But then he attacked again Rhodes and took something like above 1588 percent casualties. His air unit evaporated and also one whole fleet I think...
He lost four carriers and four disabled and also 21 disabled destroyers and 6 destroyed. LOL those Italians have put a brave fight for just a few casualties.... And how I have 33% and 50% Interdiction when I took most off my planes from Interdiction and only those reorganizing are on Interdiction (you cannot took them from Interdiction because they are reorganizing few turns in a row).

Did anyone played Europa 1947 scenario latest version? Is this some masochist version? LOL Can Axis win this attack... I used every skill to hold Russian hordes but it is a question how long my front will hold.... In Spain I am doing rather good instead of some bad luck and some formations reorganizing few turns now (bad luck with some units from 12th Army they are now free to play... I know winter Shock 75 all winter so quarter of forces are during winter reorganizing). In Syria and Iraq and Iran is interesting game. Elmer is doing a good job, very agressive play but my lines hold and I also counterattacked).

Great scenario! But very very hard...

And one favour... Who have Great War 2.0 for TOAW 4.... Hello anyone there? I need it because maybe this Europa 1947 will turn out like a losing match soon :)

That's why I like TOAW! Seeing brave Italians defending Rhodes like lions and losing in this individual battle 8 EIGHT SQUADS and sinking 4 carriers, damaging 4 and sinking 6 destroyers and damaging 21.

edit: In the battle report there is no lost planes for Allies but his air unit evaporated I think that it isair unit CAW and one fleet. Or he took off with his planes to nearest airfiled? :) Banzai, Midway near Rhodes :)

LOL that is for a movie! Share some funny TOAW stories here if you like.

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST but this deserve it. Share your funny TOAW stories here hehe.

< Message edited by MonkeysBrain2 -- 4/26/2020 6:00:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 4/28/2020 8:10:30 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonkeysBrain2

near Rhodes and with counterbattery (I mean planes) he evaporated my coastal unit. Whole. I said what's that.

I vaguely recall that counter battery fire was at some point noted as problematic in TOAWIV, even maybe a bug? for some coastal units, not sure if that was addressed in latest update or not, but I do recall a discussion about that.

At the very least, it is a known issue. <edit> forgot your question, but yes, funny stories about TOAWIV here, plenty.

There are many ... "nuances" should I say? ... that one can encounter, it sometimes gives crazy results. Just like on board game, if dices roll funny, check combat chart ... and maybe an entire column of tanks might not leave even a scratch on 10 infantry squads.

Because maybe they were dug in, low density, and hide from the tanks while throwing Molotov Cocktails?

The game does leave room for wildly varying results at time. Sometimes affected by weather in a hex, that I don't think people often check .... a raging thunderstorm gives advantage to defender sometimes, I think. Not many folks check weather before infantry attack, but makes difference. I think.

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/28/2020 8:16:21 PM >

(in reply to MonkeysBrain2)
Post #: 2
RE: Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 4/28/2020 9:48:56 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

quote:

near Rhodes and with counterbattery (I mean planes) he evaporated my coastal unit. Whole. I said what's that.

I vaguely recall that counter battery fire was at some point noted as problematic in TOAWIV, even maybe a bug? for some coastal units, not sure if that was addressed in latest update or not, but I do recall a discussion about that.

At the very least, it is a known issue. <edit> forgot your question, but yes, funny stories about TOAWIV here, plenty.

There are many ... "nuances" should I say? ... that one can encounter, it sometimes gives crazy results. Just like on board game, if dices roll funny, check combat chart ... and maybe an entire column of tanks might not leave even a scratch on 10 infantry squads.

Because maybe they were dug in, low density, and hide from the tanks while throwing Molotov Cocktails?

The game does leave room for wildly varying results at time. Sometimes affected by weather in a hex, that I don't think people often check .... a raging thunderstorm gives advantage to defender sometimes, I think. Not many folks check weather before infantry attack, but makes difference. I think.

I think that people often not realize that this is a game. Yes, in some cases very realistic but just a game.
So part of the TOAW charm is it's imperfection.

I think that there is still Norm's code from Tanks! or Age of Rifles in TOAW.

Now, I applaud Bob Cross and Ralph Tricky because they have updated TOAW and quite professionally. Gaminess in TOAW is also part of the charm.

So people with good imagination can smile while playing TOAW.

I just noticed that Naval units (and maybe not just Naval units but Air as well but I am not sure) when DISORGANIZED are sitting ducks on the water.

In this scenario there is winter shock of 75 percent. So, 25 percent is REORGANIZING all the time during winter for both forces.

So, I guess I will try new trick: That UK carrier force near Crete is REORGANIZING. So I brought Italian Battleship forces and will see when I fire from the 2 hex distance what will happen.

I realized this by accident - you can move freely around DISORGANIZED naval units. They won't fire back. + Well, I guess that I am wrong, they sometimes fire back and sometimes not, maybe they must pass communication check.

Purist of course hate that imperfection, but I kind of like it. It is hard to defend in reality but... it can be sometimes justified. Of course it's Elmer's fault for leaving fleet not in anchorage but he uses Port Attack which can be devastating sometimes.

New naval system is good but still not perfect, and I am learning it, I have smaller fleets so I must destroy his fleet with smaller loss to my own.

< Message edited by MonkeysBrain2 -- 4/28/2020 9:57:22 PM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 4/28/2020 9:58:55 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think that people often not realize that this is a game. Yes, in some cases very realistic but just a game.
So part of the TOAW charm is it's imperfection.

I think that there is still Norm's code from Tanks! or Age of Rifles in TOAW.

Now, I applaud Bob Cross and Ralph Tricky because they have updated TOAW and quite professionally. Gaminess in TOAW is also part of the charm.

So people with good imagination can smile while playing TOAW.

I just noticed that Naval units (and maybe not just Naval units but Air as well but I am not sure) when DISORGANIZED are sitting ducks on the water.

In this scenario there is winter shock of 75 percent. So, 25 percent is REORGANIZING all the time during winter for both forces.

So, I guess I will try new trick: That UK carrier force near Crete is REORGANIZING. So I brought Italian Battleship forces and will see when I fire from the 2 hex distance what will happen.

I realized this by accident - you can move freely around DISORGANIZED naval units. They won't fire back. + Well, I guess that I am wrong, they sometimes fire back and sometimes not, maybe they must pass communication check. It's planes never reorganizing I guess. (carrier)

Purist of course hate that imperfection, but I kind of like it. It is hard to defend in reality but... it can be sometimes justified. Of course it's Elmer's fault for leaving fleet not in anchorage but he uses Port Attack which can be devastating sometimes.

New naval system is good but still not perfect, and I am learning it, I have smaller fleets so I must destroy his fleet with smaller loss to my own.

Post #: 4
RE: Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 4/29/2020 6:31:22 PM   
Hellen_slith

I am not very familiar w/ Naval in TOAW, but MDanz and I tried a Crete scenario that involved lots of naval ...

fun part about that scene was, that for many Brits navals, they would be half-sunk, ...

but still firing their AA guns. They became (in essence) "half-floating" AAA sites, which could wreak havoc if Axis not careful.

Little "details" like that, as you say, can bring smiles.

Similar things kind of happening in my current FitE1 game versus GeneralJCL, we are in 1942 now (around turn 120) and Axis is running a strategic bombing campaign toward Stalingrad, while I am trying to push tanks into Lithuania. A very fun scene, but one has to expect the unexpected! I agree, imagination is very key to enjoyment of TOAW

Post #: 5
RE: Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 4/29/2020 6:48:41 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

quote:

I am not very familiar w/ Naval in TOAW, but MDanz and I tried a Crete scenario that involved lots of naval ...

fun part about that scene was, that for many Brits navals, they would be half-sunk, ...

but still firing their AA guns. They became (in essence) "half-floating" AAA sites, which could wreak havoc if Axis not careful.

Little "details" like that, as you say, can bring smiles.

Similar things kind of happening in my current FitE1 game versus GeneralJCL, we are in 1942 now (around turn 120) and Axis is running a strategic bombing campaign toward Stalingrad, while I am trying to push tanks into Lithuania. A very fun scene, but one has to expect the unexpected! I agree, imagination is very key to enjoyment of TOAW

Thanks Hellen_slith for your comment! Spot on!

Much of scenarios in TOAW really brings a different flavour due to scale, attrition divider, or era, or anything else....

When you mentioned FiTE1 I have played only 17 turns but that was also exhausting in PBEM...I played it against Dicke Bertha hehe crazy Swede. FiTE 1 is so much fun!

Kind regards,

Mario

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! - 5/14/2020 10:31:40 PM   
Hellen_slith

Had a frustrating but kind of funny moment today in FitE1. I didn't want to get into a bunch of attacks all across the front, so I just picked a few "good" spots that I thought would get me a few hexes, then do all the rail moves and the few other moves here and there after I resolved those two or three combats.... Plenty of time left to rail another 1/2 of an Army to its destination, dig in, repair some rails, etc.

<resolves Round 1 combat>

"Failed Force Proficiency Check. The move has been sent to your opponent."

ARGHHHH!!!!

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Europa 1947 AND FUNNY MOMENTS IN TOAW!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI