Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does Anybody Remember This Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Does Anybody Remember This Game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does Anybody Remember This Game? - 7/23/2003 4:05:30 AM   
ShermanM4

http://www.talonsoft.com/campaignseries/westfront.html

Surely I wasnt the only one who bought the bundle pack. Does anybody know where Talonsoft is at these days? Have they gone for broke after realeasing Age of Sail II?

"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Post #: 1
- 7/23/2003 6:39:41 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Talonsoft is to me games like TOAW and The Campaign series.

I think it might be a while before we see many more great titles like those two from Talonsoft.

Business comes and goes though.

Talonsoft is still out there last I checked, but to some people the phrase "who cares" might apply.

It appears some people think Talonsoft sold out to non true wargamer interests.
But business is business. You can't always make a sufficient buck producing to one specific sector of a niche hobby.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 2
- 7/23/2003 9:31:13 AM   
junk2drive

i bought talonsoft's rising sun camp. series for 5.99 at a closeout store. hoping it was steel panthers in the pacific. to me it was a very tedious game. right click here, left click there, check the bottom of the screen for this before you can do that. not on my computer at the moment. might give it another chance someday. in its time, when it was new, it probably was a good step forward. not too much action anymore at wargamer.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 3
- 7/23/2003 9:34:44 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Talonsoft to me will always be 12 o'clock high BTR one of my top 5 favorite wargames
Plus the TOAW is excellent as well

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 4
- 7/23/2003 8:11:16 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have East Front 2 and West Front Combat Pack and more recently Rising Sun.

They have a passing closeness to ASL in the same way Steel Panthers does, but they are of course unique in their own way.

A person could claim Sudden Strike looks like ASL but in real time.

In the end of course, it is whether the experience was fun to the player.

I like the Campaign series (but do not have extensive playings of it). But I most certainly did not like the Sudden Strike experience.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 5
- 7/23/2003 10:02:04 PM   
AlBW

[url]www.theblitz.org[/url] has a pretty active PBEM site for the Campaign Series of games. You can also find mods/addons for CS there.

Al

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 6
Bulgarians!! - 7/24/2003 12:45:27 AM   
Warhorse

I made a Bulgarian mod for the WF, I think, of this series (big surprise there, huh?), I like the CS, campaigns are a lot of fun, with Divisional and up sizes possible, oooh-rah!!! The mods section of the Blitzkrieg club has my mod, and others..

Warhorse

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 7
- 7/24/2003 3:10:08 AM   
ShermanM4

Well, I was really dissappointed with AOSII. I liked WestFront and East Front, but it was really tedious to play. AOSII was a combination of difficulty and gross historical inaccuracy, i'm glad I bought it from the bargain bin to begin with.

Warhorse and AIBW thanks for posting that site, I might be more interrested in playing pbem and h2h with that game. I felt the same way about Steel Panther and Combat Mission until I played against other people, much funner!

Les the Sarge and Fallschimjaeger, question for you guys. What is TOAW, sorry I really am ignorant of what that means.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 8
- 7/24/2003 3:24:11 AM   
Losqualo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShermanM4
[B]...What is TOAW, sorry I really am ignorant of what that means. [/B][/QUOTE]

TOAW is "The Operational Art of War" by Norm Kroger. You can visit his homepage [URL=http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/games.html]here[/URL].

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 9
- 7/24/2003 9:13:42 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

If I had a nickel for every wargame or even not wargame, we call by a 3 to 4 letter code so casually, that I have not yet mastered yet myself, my next wargame would be free hehe.

Reading down the posts I had momentary confusion identifying Age of Sail 2 as AOSII hehe :)

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 10
- 7/24/2003 10:31:24 PM   
Halcyon

Talonsoft was bought out by Take-2 (makers of the immensely popular Grand Theft Auto series) so they have little regard for their tiny wargamers market. Probably putting all their R&D into how to make driving over small children more realistic. They also have no concept of pricing as they are still charging an astounding 39.99! for A Century of Warfare on their website. That is for the jewelcase-only version too! :rolleyes:

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 11
- 7/25/2003 5:17:42 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Talonsoft, SSI it seems a lot of labels have come, produced great games, then run out of ideas.

Hard to say. I have seen great business fall simply because the owner was unable to continue on running it too.

Nothing lasts forever guys.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 12
- 7/25/2003 6:41:53 AM   
ShermanM4

[QUOTE]If I had a nickel for every wargame or even not wargame, we call by a 3 to 4 letter code so casually, that I have not yet mastered yet myself, my next wargame would be free hehe.[/QUOTE]

yep:)

I remember TOAW now quite honestly I thought it was a good game but I really needed more action than that, or atleast a break from the same soundtrack they had in West Front, East Front II, et al...

@Les the Sarge and Halcyon.
Good god I had no idea Talonsoft was now in the hands of Take 2. No wonder why Age of Privateers II was the same as AOSII. Further still, no wonder why we are not seeing anything remotely close to the whole Battleground series 1-9 nor anything like West Front or East Front et al. Your right nothing lasts forever, glad I got in on the gettin' while the gettin' was good!

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Does Anybody Remember This Game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI