Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 8:44:13 PM   
joelmar

quote:

@telemecus

They will be killers come summer!

you bet!

quote:

@redrum68

Any thoughts on how these OOBs and loses compare to other games at this point? Or on how the loses during the blizzard compare to other games?

@telemecus will probably have a more precise answer, but what I can say is that we had some successful spring offensives as will be told soon, and had no problems to attack everywhere we wanted when the weather permitted.

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 1051
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 10:59:22 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
So the blizzard offensive did not have a large personnel effect on the Axis. But in ... AFVs?

AFVs is a particular success - and here is why. The map below shows bordered in red where motorised units are. And many are stacked three high in blizzard protected hexes in the rear. Often they are in such hexes near the front so that they can be used quickly in an emergency. Around Moscow they remained in the city hexes and also the size 4 towns near the front and so were able BOTH to be protected from the first winter rules AND fight. Many SUs however were used in the unprotected hexes and some motorised had to be used in emergencies - but the picture overall remains true.

End of Axis Turn 37 (motorised bordered in red)

quote:

Mamluke, Soviet South Commander
to be blunt, the reason [for] such success is because the Germans were very reluctant to use Motorize divisions and refuse to send out panzer divisions
not to mention keeping very high quality Infantry in the back.
coming February, that is going to change, drastically.
in one of my games , I played my winter offensive well, however as it it March, the Germans lost the 1st winter penalties and went on the offensive. he caught the red army with its pants down and the Soviet front in the South disintegrated. and I had about 5 Million men, a much stronger army then in this game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/23/2020 11:15:35 PM >

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1052
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 11:04:00 PM   
Telemecus

And here are the German Panzer divisions at the end of Blizzard. Just look at those morales. These divisions have not been beaten down by the morale sapping blizzard but are at the same super high morale levels they had in June 1941. I would consider this to be the number one difference between this game and what will come up in 1942 and what happens in many games where the panzers are left out in the first blizzard.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1053
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 11:05:29 PM   
Telemecus

And similarly although less so with the motor infantry units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1054
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 11:47:11 PM   
Telemecus

Refit A from log report of Axis Logistics Turn 37

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1055
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 11:48:30 PM   
Telemecus

Refit B from log report of Axis Logistics Turn 37

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1056
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/23/2020 11:49:32 PM   
Telemecus

Normal replacements from log report of Axis Logistics Turn 37

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1057
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 12:11:00 AM   
Telemecus

And the beginning of the pools for the German side in logistics turn 37.

We have lots of tanks ready as replacements. So when we do start unchoking the Panzer divisions we are going to have tanks to fill the replacement needs. This will not last forever. But we will be able to start with reasonably well equipped Panzer divisions.

The tank destroyer support units which were left out to fight in the blizzard on the other hand ...

To a great extent the AFVs, and especially tanks, did not take part in the blizzard war. So they are what they were at the end of snow in 1941 plus the production of them since.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/24/2020 12:15:28 AM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1058
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 9:30:54 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
So the blizzard offensive did not have a large personnel effect on the Axis. But in ... guns ..?

Right back on turn 1 we turned down the maximum ToEs of gun SUs, and any others relying on arms points, to 20%. This did not mean they would shrink to 20% ToE, just that they would receive no replacements so long as they had a ToE over 20%. This was to make sure we banked as many arms points so that there would be a pool at the end of blizzard with which to rebuild the infantry divisions. Not doing this can me you end up with lots of guns and no arms points to make the infantry squad replacements you really really need.

The side effect has been until now there have been fewer guns and fewer gun losses.

Now that the infantry divisions are being filled up we will soon coming to the point when we have spare arms points and a lack of manpower. At that point the gun SUs will be preogressively moved back to 100% ToEs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/24/2020 9:32:58 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1059
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 11:55:56 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: redrum68
Any thoughts on how these OOBs and loses compare to other games at this point? Or on how the loses during the blizzard compare to other games?

It is hard to make a definitive comparison as all you have to go on are the games you particularly happen to have seen. My sense is the Soviets had a good blizzard, better than average given the Tambov pockets. And their OOB grew in the blizzard

quote:

Darojax, Soviet Centre Commander
Not bad, +1 million

quote:

a mere 3 months later, We recover So much Strength!
I'm curios, are you guys surprise on the Red Army quick Recovery? when I was analyzing the results for turn 18. even I though the Soviets would only make meager progress in Winter.
the Strength of the Red army, compared to how it was, even surprises me! of course a good part of that is because of the many rifle divisions we receive as reinforcements before the winter months.
I am surprised about it. Considering the losses the Soviets took it baffles me that such offensives are possible at this time

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/24/2020 12:07:04 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1060
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 11:59:51 AM   
Beria

The problem is though we had a bad summer 41, and the blizzard has not made up for it since. I think Mamluke put it very well themself.

quote:

the Red Army has made a remarkable recovery and was able to push hard consedering the situation.
however, the truth is that our army as remain below 4.7 million men and 49K guns since the winter despite taking "reasonable losses" by Soviet standards
-
in one of my games , I played my winter offensive well, however as it it March, the Germans lost the 1st winter penalties and went on the offensive. he caught the red army with its pants down and the Soviet front in the South disintegrated. and I had about 5 Million men, a much stronger army then in this game.

quote:

KenchiSulla, former Axis South Commander
Good thing we know that even with moderate losses the soviet army is not growing
They might get up to 5 million summer '42
That is not enough

As a result we have had to choke the ToEs of many units as we do not have the manpower to fill them up. This has led to the army of ants phenomenon without a core of really good units able to take the Wehrmacht on.

quote:

might as well talk about it now. I set the 70% ToE for rifle divisions as a desperate measure. but I can see it doesn't work very well since they end up with 60% or less. manpower is not as bad as it looked, we should change to average to 80% ToE
just to let you know, I'm keeping all Rifle Brigades at 80% since they are manpower efficient and to be cold, they are expandable, good rifle divisions are NOT!

Some of the units created some think are not useful anyway. One Soviet commander in 1942 commented

quote:

built a ****load of ski brigades which don't have any experience the first winter, so they are next to useless.
would have been better off by spending ap on more tanks, not infantry. We have a current shortage of over two million men, with too many infantry heavy units which we will never be able to fill out. Our new builds need to be low manpower units,tank and artillery, and infantry corps formation will release men back into the pools.
amazing amount of cavalry corps, cav squads are limited now, and maintaining them, nevermind rebuilding if lost, is now near impossible.
The russians don't do well in this game by building a historical russian army of low toe ants- they do well by focusing on the guards infantry corps, loaded with tank support, backed by artillery divisions.
We currently have more t34 in the pools than in units.
The only way to get the tanks into the army is to build tank battalions, and to be patient. They will upgrade to regiments on their own and when attached to the new infantry corps are a powerful addition.
should have done more construction and rr consruction units. They help get up fort levels for defence which is critical. Our fort levels everywhere are very low, few construction units to assist and overloaded commands hinder fort building too. And if we do get on the offence, their rail conversion will be especially needed. The only way to make up for the extra territory that must be regained, is to convert rail quickly and keep the truck pool healthy. A truck shortage results in lower movement points, something not everyone realizes.
In 42, the german rail is all caught up and ants and open ground only leads to more now unaffordable manpower losses.

Added to this we have a relatively low number of arms factories (236)- an intentional decision as commented before. [Note: and something that would not be discussed in an AAR as something we would want secret from our opponents, but it was published in many different threads in matrix forums before the author was banned - but I have to commend my Soviet team mates for deciding to continue with the game anyway] It means now we have no bank of arms points at all and a long time before it look like we will start a turn with any. This means there will be a long delay before we start building the Red Army 2.0 One new soviet team member commented

quote:

a terrible armaments shortage after blizzard, it is ok now, but that's because we don't have any manpower to build much and have done some disbanding.

Time for Plan B?

quote:

quote:

Neogodhobo, Soviet Supreme Commander
Send Vodka's and showgirls along the lines as well

I'll send them some political officers?
THey work wonders for motivation

Gary Grigsby Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1061
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 1:25:19 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beria

The problem is though we had a bad summer 41, and the blizzard has not made up for it since. I think Mamluke put it very well themself.

quote:

the Red Army has made a remarkable recovery and was able to push hard consedering the situation.
however, the truth is that our army as remain below 4.7 million men and 49K guns since the winter despite taking "reasonable losses" by Soviet standards
-

quote:

KenchiSulla, former Axis South Commander
Good thing we know that even with moderate losses the soviet army is not growing
They might get up to 5 million summer '42
That is not enough

As a result we have had to choke the ToEs of many units as we do not have the manpower to fill them up. This has led to the army of ants phenomenon without a core of really good units able to take the Wehrmacht on.

quote:

might as well talk about it now. I set the 70% ToE for rifle divisions as a desperate measure. but I can see it doesn't work very well since they end up with 60% or less. manpower is not as bad as it looked, we should change to average to 80% ToE
just to let you know, I'm keeping all Rifle Brigades at 80% since they are manpower efficient and to be cold, they are expandable, good rifle divisions are NOT!

Some of the units created some think are not useful anyway. One Soviet commander in 1942 commented

quote:

built a ****load of ski brigades which don't have any experience the first winter, so they are next to useless.
would have been better off by spending ap on more tanks, not infantry. We have a current shortage of over two million men, with too many infantry heavy units which we will never be able to fill out. Our new builds need to be low manpower units,tank and artillery, and infantry corps formation will release men back into the pools.
amazing amount of cavalry corps, cav squads are limited now, and maintaining them, nevermind rebuilding if lost, is now near impossible.
The russians don't do well in this game by building a historical russian army of low toe ants- they do well by focusing on the guards infantry corps, loaded with tank support, backed by artillery divisions.
We currently have more t34 in the pools than in units.
The only way to get the tanks into the army is to build tank battalions, and to be patient. They will upgrade to regiments on their own and when attached to the new infantry corps are a powerful addition.
should have done more construction and rr consruction units. They help get up fort levels for defence which is critical. Our fort levels everywhere are very low, few construction units to assist and overloaded commands hinder fort building too. And if we do get on the offence, their rail conversion will be especially needed. The only way to make up for the extra territory that must be regained, is to convert rail quickly and keep the truck pool healthy. A truck shortage results in lower movement points, something not everyone realizes.
In 42, the german rail is all caught up and ants and open ground only leads to more now unaffordable manpower losses.

Added to this we have a relatively low number of arms factories (236)- an intentional decision as commented before. [Note: and something that would not be discussed in an AAR as something we would want secret from our opponents, but it was published in many different threads in matrix forums before the author was banned - but I have to commend my Soviet team mates for deciding to continue with the game anyway] It means now we have no bank of arms points at all and a long time before it look like we will start a turn with any. This means there will be a long delay before we start building the Red Army 2.0 One new soviet team member commented

quote:

a terrible armaments shortage after blizzard, it is ok now, but that's because we don't have any manpower to build much and have done some disbanding.

Time for Plan B?

quote:

quote:

Send Vodka's and showgirls along the lines as well

I'll send them some political officers?
THey work wonders for motivation

A very informative debate. The Soviet players are very aware of their relative weaknesses. Is the German appreciation of Soviet status close to the mark? And what of the Soviet appreciation of Axis strength?

PS. The Commissars can shoot a few to encourage the others...

(in reply to Beria)
Post #: 1062
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 1:29:32 PM   
joelmar

quote:

ORIGINAL: @Beria

but I have to commend my Soviet team mates for deciding to continue with the game anyway

Yes kudos to the Soviet team.

quote:

ORIGINAL: @Beria

A truck shortage results in lower movement points, something not everyone realizes.

IMO, it's better to build infantry than tank units to defend and keep supply delivery low... so I understand this must all have been a big dilemma.

quote:

ORIGINAL: @ancient Soviet commander

Interesting remark and a big question: better to have less units of better quality, or more units of lesser quality for the Soviets. And if that remark is true, doesn't it put a big break on the idea that the total manpower in a Russian OOB is itself a big indicator of how well the Soviet army can resist?

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to Beria)
Post #: 1063
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 1:41:13 PM   
joelmar

quote:

@Zorch

A very informative debate. The Soviet players are very aware of their relative weaknesses. Is the German appreciation of Soviet status close to the mark? And what of the Soviet appreciation of Axis strength?

Since turn 38 when I got in the game as Axis South, we have been aware of those Soviet problems.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 1064
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 2:16:52 PM   
tyronec

quote:

This was to make sure we banked as many arms points so that there would be a pool at the end of blizzard with which to rebuild the infantry divisions.

Can you give any estimate for the numbers, so for example if you had 100k German manpower in the pool after the Blizzard how many armaments would it take to top up infantry divisions with them ?

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 1065
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 5:11:29 PM   
Beria

quote:

ORIGINAL: joelmar
quote:

Interesting remark and a big question: better to have less units of better quality, or more units of lesser quality for the Soviets. And if that remark is true, doesn't it put a big break on the idea that the total manpower in a Russian OOB is itself a big indicator of how well the Soviet army can resist?

I think the comment is a reaction to too few good units. Too many good units and the vehicle pool cannot support them and you get the opposite reaction.

From what I understand manpower and vehicles were the choke points up to v1.11.03. So you would want an army of just over 8million to provide a sufficient unit density to stop any German exploitations and also advance into Germany and 20 (?) tank corps which you could use to counterattack and in the end advance.

If what has been said about vehicles not being a constraint anymore then perhaps you could create 100+ tank corps and manpower would not matter. But if that is not quite right you would need to get some kind of unit density, and too little manpower would stil make that impossible?

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 1066
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/24/2020 6:17:27 PM   
Bitburger

quote:

It is often quoted that the russians need an oob of 6 million to hold their ground, but there is a big difference of 6 million in an army of 500 low cv, low experience divisions short on armaments,and an army of 6 million in 160 high cv corps. The russians at this point had no manpower but plenty of tanks, so tank brigades made sense at the time. better to lose a 1000 men in a tank brigade than thousands in a infantry unit.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 1067
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 1:30:26 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bitburger

quote:

It is often quoted that the russians need an oob of 6 million to hold their ground, but there is a big difference of 6 million in an army of 500 low cv, low experience divisions short on armaments,and an army of 6 million in 160 high cv corps. The russians at this point had no manpower but plenty of tanks, so tank brigades made sense at the time. better to lose a 1000 men in a tank brigade than thousands in a infantry unit.

Excellent analysis! I do think there is a threshold where there is not enough AFV's/and or people. I propose that this is an abstract concept. Like P(x) of a systems failure. The P(x) represents the probability of failure, but does not state what exactly fails. Manpower < 5M after the 1st winter means something is going to give and each game has decisions how that plays out.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Bitburger)
Post #: 1068
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 4:36:48 AM   
Bitburger

The tank is nothing more than a manpower multiplier in combat, and the germans never leave their tank pools flooded unless in blizzard.
The soviets are wasting a precious advantage by leaving t34 idling in the pools. I know when i played germans, it drove me crazy to see tigers sitting in the pools!

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1069
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 6:31:20 PM   
Beria

quote:

surprise was seeing how little importance to command capacity that was shown.The armies and fronts all overloaded with manpower depleted units. All one ends up with is very low cv

A final point should be made about chain of command and leaders. A lot of the best leaders had been appointed to front commands which very overloaded - making them effectively useless. They could also be split up in armies up and down the front further reducing the ratings of the higher commands and making ground support from air in the same front very difficult. Some serious administrative reorganisation was needed to make contiguous fronts without too many or too few armies in each one and without overloading any.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bitburger)
Post #: 1070
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 7:09:21 PM   
joelmar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bitburger

I think there are also the trucks and fuel problems to add to the mixing pot of parameters when assessing the ideal 2.0 Red Army, at least that seems to be true to a great extent in 1.12?

quote:

@Beria

A final point should be made about chain of command and leaders. A lot of the best leaders had been appointed to front commands which very overloaded - making them effectively useless. They could also be split up in armies up and down the front further reducing the ratings of the higher commands and making ground support from air in the same front very difficult. Some serious administrative reorganisation was needed to make contiguous fronts without too many or too few armies in each one and without overloading any.

Which is another great point for the importance of micro-management.

quote:

@Beria

If what has been said about vehicles not being a constraint anymore then perhaps you could create 100+ tank corps and manpower would not matter. But if that is not quite right you would need to get some kind of unit density, and too little manpower would stil make that impossible?

That point is still very obscure to me. 1.12 seems to use more organic trucks, but from what I observe up to now, there seems also to have less supplies and fuel available in city depots because of the new rail limitations on supply, so probably less supplies to haul explains that now there are no pb of trucks for either side. I have a game started in 1.12, but it's not far enough to give conclusive data on the German side.

But in our game now switched to 1.12, the total number of trucks available overall to the Germans is the same as it was, so I guess it must be true for the Soviets too? And I don't see in our truck pools such a big difference in the ratio between avail in pool/needed. But if that is an indicator of what would happen with trucks in a game started with 1.12, I'm not sure that what has been said about the vehicle constraints (even if true) on supply means that the Soviets can build more tank corps ad nauseam because they still have a low cap on trucks surplus and might end up in truck shortages anyway.

(in reply to Beria)
Post #: 1071
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 7:16:39 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec

quote:

This was to make sure we banked as many arms points so that there would be a pool at the end of blizzard with which to rebuild the infantry divisions.

Can you give any estimate for the numbers, so for example if you had 100k German manpower in the pool after the Blizzard how many armaments would it take to top up infantry divisions with them ?

Well a 39 rifle squad is 10 men and takes seven arms points. So to put 100k into rifle squads only you would expect 70k arms points. The rifle squads are the ones that get the worst hit during the blizzard and are one of the cheapest to replace. But they are only maybe a fifth of the manpower of an infantry divisions. There is no selective element by element max ToE setting for infantry divisions so you also have to get replacements for its organic artillery and other elements that are more expensive too. So for every 10 men in a rifle squad you would need up to 40 others often with more expensive equipment. But if you assume they are the same, that would still be 350k arms points to put 500k into replacements of which only 100k would be rifle squads.

At the end of blizzard we had about 450k in the manpower pool and 300k arms points in the bank. Over the next few turns replacements are going to flood in to our infantry divisions and the OOB will indeed increase by close to half a million. The arms point bank was almost used up to do this, but we did find quite soon afterwards we could start to lift the cap off ToEs for artillery and have never had an arms points shortage since. And since then the issue has only been manpower shortages and never arms points shortages. So having rebuilt infantry divisions to a sufficient ToE to make them resilient from going unready or depleted it makes sense for the Germans to prioritise units needing lots of arms points and few men - like artillery.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 1072
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 7:37:32 PM   
eskuche

Are ground elements lost proportionally in fighting? If you took a survey of 10 infantry divisions before and after blizzard, would rifles and artillery both be at x% and (x-y)% TOE?

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1073
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/25/2020 7:42:05 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: eskuche

Are ground elements lost proportionally in fighting? If you took a survey of 10 infantry divisions before and after blizzard, would rifles and artillery both be at x% and (x-y)% TOE?

No. Rifle squads are damaged or destroyed proportionately far more. I do not know what is the mechanic or why. Perhaps the foot soldiers were the ones more exposed to the elements and so were the guys with frostbite or hypothermia?

Whatever it is by the end of blizzard when you look at infantry ToEs element by element the rifle squads are noticeably lower in their ToEs than the others from blizzard fighting.

(BTW the British had the same thing from roughly July 1944 onwards - a constant shortage of riflemen compared to the other arms. And with British manpower pretty much exhausted they had to extensively start retraining other types of soldier to join ordinary infantry squads from then onwards. Britain was the only major power to see its ground forces OOB shrink in the last year of the war. And everytime a division was disbanded its artillery and so on had to be made into infantry replacements for other divisions.)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/25/2020 8:21:14 PM >

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 1074
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/26/2020 7:57:24 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: eskuche

No. Rifle squads are damaged or destroyed proportionately far more. I do not know what is the mechanic or why. Perhaps the foot soldiers were the ones more exposed to the elements and so were the guys with frostbite or hypothermia?

Whatever it is by the end of blizzard when you look at infantry ToEs element by element the rifle squads are noticeably lower in their ToEs than the others from blizzard fighting.

(BTW the British had the same thing from roughly July 1944 onwards - a constant shortage of riflemen compared to the other arms. And with British manpower pretty much exhausted they had to extensively start retraining other types of soldier to join ordinary infantry squads from then onwards. Britain was the only major power to see its ground forces OOB shrink in the last year of the war. And everytime a division was disbanded its artillery and so on had to be made into infantry replacements for other divisions.)

Britain also decommissioned a lot of warships to free up manpower.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1075
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/26/2020 8:31:51 PM   
joelmar

quote:

@Telemecus

Yes, that makes sense. Artillery could be kept back most of the time and get more opportunities of finding better shelters. They were also much smaller teams.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1076
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/27/2020 6:23:26 PM   
tyronec

quote:

One of my teachers from school (who taught me chess) was in GCHQ, don't know what he was doing there but he was a very intelligent and thoughtful guy with a background in classics so am sure it was something interesting. Anyway, towards the end of the war he joined the infantry.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 1077
RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB - 4/27/2020 7:03:06 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec
quote:

One of my teachers from school (who taught me chess) was in GCHQ, don't know what he was doing there but he was a very intelligent and thoughtful guy with a background in classics so am sure it was something interesting. Anyway, towards the end of the war he joined the infantry.

I find that shocking. Although I hope at the very least it was as a volunteer against official opposition.

I am always shocked by the story of Henry Moseley who would probably have been one of the greatest physicists of his generation and yet was shot by a sniper in Gallipoli. Ok maybe code breakers were not as required by then end of the war. Roy Jenkins though did not get decommissioned from GCHQ to the infantry - and he got into GCHQ only on a recommendation. At the very least there was plenty of staff work they would have been much better at than many who were placed in staffs, sometimes as favours. I know some may also accuse me of being an intellectual snob. But at least they made things of immense value to others.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 4/27/2020 7:05:27 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 1078
2x3+ Blizzard and After - 5/7/2020 10:31:16 PM   
Beria

But now

quote:

Hell is coming

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Beria -- 5/7/2020 10:37:51 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1079
2x3+ 025-037 Blizzard End - 5/7/2020 10:33:45 PM   
Telemecus

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 5/7/2020 10:43:44 PM >

(in reply to Beria)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 2x3+ 025-037 OOB Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI