Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 11:56:46 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Take the Shutdown Skeptics Seriously

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/take-shutdown-skeptics-seriously/611419/

It didn’t have much evidence for some claims unfortunately.

I think that is because we are in uncharted waters. Here is an article about the surge of suicides attributed to the 2008 recession.

More Than 10,000 Suicides Tied To Economic Crisis, Study Says

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/06/12/more-than-10000-suicides-tied-to-economic-crisis-study-says/#40544c0e7ae2

I actually have known a few people that have committed suicide because of business failure. Contrary to popular belief, suicide doesn't void life insurance claims if you have had the life insurance for more than a couple of years. These poor people felt they were worth more dead than alive.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/11/2020 11:59:57 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7351
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 12:14:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

M-M

WSJ story behind paywall of the FBI top brass plotting to entrap Flynn AFTER the original investigators determined the investigation of Flynn should be ended for lack of evidence. Comey is at the meeting. Comey admitted to scheduling the meeting with Flynn (who is not a lawyer) while purposely NOT calling WH counsel to notify. They duped Flynn into thinking he was meeting to coordinate future activities with the incoming WH. There are DOJ rules against "perjury traps" for good reasons. The notes from the FBI planning meeting are chilling.

The DOJ just asked a judge to toss out the case against Flynn https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-vindication-of-michael-flynn-11588893542

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7352
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 12:53:05 PM   
MakeeLearn

South Korea Records Spike In New Coronavirus Cases After Nightclub Outbreak
May 10, 2020

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/10/853468647/south-korea-records-spike-in-new-coronavirus-cases-after-nightclub-outbreak

"South Korea reported 34 new coronavirus infections Sunday, its highest daily tally in about a month, following an outbreak tied to several nightclubs and bars.

Korean health officials said that 24 of the new cases originate from Seoul's Itaewon neighborhood. Authorities had recently identified a 29-year-old man who tested positive for the virus after visiting five nightclubs and bars in the commercial district.

Authorities believe as many as 1,500 people were in attendance during the time the man said he visited those clubs over the weekend of May 1."

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 7353
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:05:16 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

<snip my edits>

Los Angeles has been passing bond measures to raise property and sales taxes and lavishing spending on the homeless. They have burned through quite a large reserve. California is ALREADY borrowing money from DC to pay unemployment costs after budgeting enough reserves for 18 months of standard recession job losses. It's all gone already.

All of this borrowing and reserve spending means leaner times ahead. <snip my edits>

Sorry to carry forward an old thread.

Economics:

Yes this is the real unspoken issue surrounding what comes next.

Forget "reopening". That is chimera. It will happen "eventually".

It is not simply the Governmental Borrowing. Think also of all the "Governmental Debt instruments / bonds" sitting on the Balance Sheet of Central Banks / Federal Reserves - as they pursued Quantitative Easing. The banker of the government buying Government debt.

Realistically there are only three options

1) Austerity.

Some nations may choose this route. Ireland and Iceland did for example following 2008/2009. There is a significant social cost and it has not been tried on a G8 level economy to the same degree.

New Zealand / Canada / Australia all fiddled with Austerity in the 1990s but not full blown Austerity.

2) Increased Taxes

Significantly increased taxes

3) Print Money

Deflationary (money decreasing in value) - potentially rampant inflation i.e. the anecdotal $30.00 loaf of bread as money looses value.

I doubt the political will exists to adopt a single course of measure in most large economies.

However the combination of all three will be fraught with hard political choices. They will bear economic and social costs to all G8 nations.

This sadly may stratify politics further as opposed to calm rationale negotiation trying to find the right balance.

Harder times indeed for perhaps a generation.

Perhaps the millennial generation will step to the fore. I hope so. (Really)

There is already reasonably strong anecdotal evidence that this generation is (i) less indebted than those before and less willing to take on personal debt (ii) more savy in their investment discipline - less prone to panic although their investment horizon is obviously longer.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Post #: 7354
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:08:57 PM   
MakeeLearn

Cuomo alerts states to mystery coronavirus illness after three children die

All three children in New York showed signs of blood vessel inflammation, and also tested positive for coronavirus

10 May 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/10/new-york-mystery-coronavirus-illness-three-children-die

"Instead of respiratory problems normally associated with Covid-19, the children are experiencing inflammation of blood vessels or the heart. Their symptoms are similar to toxic-shock syndrome and Kawasaki disease, an illness with no known cause that mainly affects children under five."

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/11/2020 1:09:45 PM >

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 7355
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:16:22 PM   
MakeeLearn

New coronavirus clusters show risks of second wave as protests flare
May 10, 2020

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/10/coronavirus-second-wave-clusters/

"New coronavirus clusters show risks of second wave as protests flare "

"BERLIN — A family in China, nightclubs in South Korea and a slaughterhouse in Germany: New clusters of coronavirus infections are igniting concerns about a second wave even as calls grow in some countries to relax restrictions even further.

In Germany, where thousands have protested remaining restrictions in recent days, health officials say the number of people each confirmed coronavirus patient infects rose above 1 again, reflecting a renewed increase in cases. The number must be below 1 for outbreaks to decline.

Health officials worldwide are watching to see just how much infection rates rise in a second wave as nations and states emerge from varying degrees of lockdown."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7356
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:17:10 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

<snip my edits>

Los Angeles has been passing bond measures to raise property and sales taxes and lavishing spending on the homeless. They have burned through quite a large reserve. California is ALREADY borrowing money from DC to pay unemployment costs after budgeting enough reserves for 18 months of standard recession job losses. It's all gone already.

All of this borrowing and reserve spending means leaner times ahead. <snip my edits>

Economics:

It is not simply the Governmental Borrowing. Think also of all the "Governmental Debt instruments / bonds" sitting on the Balance Sheet of Central Banks / Federal Reserves - as they pursued Quantitative Easing. The banker of the government buying Government debt.

1) Austerity.

Some nations may choose this route. Ireland and Iceland did for example following 2008/2009. There is a significant social cost and it has not been tried on a G8 level economy to the same degree.

New Zealand / Canada / Australia all fiddled with Austerity in the 1990s but not full blown Austerity.

2) Increased Taxes

3) Print Money

Deflationary (money decreasing in value) - potentially rampant inflation i.e. the anecdotal $30.00 loaf of bread as money looses value.
Inflationary, not deflationary. More money chasing the same number or reduced number of goods is inflationary. Deflationary is when the money supply is reduced.

I doubt the political will exists to adopt a single course of measure in most large economies.

However the combination of all three will be fraught with hard political choices. They will bear economic and social costs to all G8 nations.

This sadly may stratify politics further as opposed to calm rationale negotiation trying to find the right balance.

There is already reasonably strong anecdotal evidence that this generation is (i) less indebted than those before and less willing to take on personal debt (ii) more savy in their investment discipline - less prone to panic although their investment horizon is obviously longer.

I consider planned inflation to be a tax on poor people since they are least able to afford the higher prices. But if wages don't go up at the same rate as inflation, the middle class disappears.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 7357
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:19:15 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

M-M

WSJ story behind paywall of the FBI top brass plotting to entrap Flynn AFTER the original investigators determined the investigation of Flynn should be ended for lack of evidence. Comey is at the meeting. Comey admitted to scheduling the meeting with Flynn (who is not a lawyer) while purposely NOT calling WH counsel to notify. They duped Flynn into thinking he was meeting to coordinate future activities with the incoming WH. There are DOJ rules against "perjury traps" for good reasons. The notes from the FBI planning meeting are chilling.

The DOJ just asked a judge to toss out the case against Flynn https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-vindication-of-michael-flynn-11588893542

I think that some of those people need an education about the 5th amendment to the US Constitution and Miranda warnings and such things. I think that a judge and a jury should be able to educate them.

― Julia Child

Post #: 7358
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:19:36 PM   
fcooke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

<snip my edits>

Economics:

1) Austerity.

2) Increased Taxes

3) Print Money

I'm glad Iceland and Ireland have chosen austerity before. I think it is the right answer. Higher taxes without fully functioning economies....not likely to work, and will further escalate the political crud we have going on here in the States.

I still am really worried about poorer folks and small business owners. And folks with other issues. We need some leadership here and I don't really see much.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 7359
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:25:15 PM   
Lowpe

For those still interested in the media bias:

NBC admits Chuck Todd's 'Meet the Press' deceptively edited Barr remarks on Flynn

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chuck-todd-meet-the-press-barr-flynn-edit

I would be curious to see how Obvert's media tracking scores would report on this. The problem has always been you can have 100% accurate reporting that is 100% wrong. Lies of commission are a powerful thing.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 7360
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:25:35 PM   
witpqs

Interesting, certainly hope it turns out to be true.
https://judithcurry.com/2020/05/10/why-herd-immunity-to-covid-19-is-reached-much-earlier-than-thought/]Why herd immunity to COVID-19 is reached much earlier than thought[/link]

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 7361
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:27:28 PM   
witpqs

quote:

M-M

And far more revelations, plus lots more articles and analysis out there. It remains to be seen if and how some of the media who peddled the falsehoods will cover the revelations.

Post #: 7362
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:32:23 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

And far more revelations, plus lots more articles and analysis out there. It remains to be seen if and how some of the media who peddled the falsehoods will cover the revelations.

Sadly from what I have seen it is:

the rule of law at risk because the case was dropped
Putin is getting his money's worth
but he plead guilty

and the NBC deception I posted above.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7363
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 1:59:14 PM   
MakeeLearn

Yesterday I had my first experience of being with someone as they slowly died. He was mentally disabled, and had very little verbal communication. In the past few weeks our bond had became stronger. In the past month The only time he wanted to get out of bed and sit in his chair was when I was there.

Yesterday he kept wanting me to get him out of bed. I could not do it. It was too painful for him for me to move him and I did not want to put neither one of us through it.

I was alone with him for hours yesterday morning. Three times he told me "It's Sunday". Sunday was a special day for him. No one had heard that in months.

Then he told me "They're coming". A minute later "No...No."

It had nothing to do with Coronavirus.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7364
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 2:07:33 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

but he plead guilty

I know.
Even though:
- the law prohibits prosecuting someone wrongfully;
- It was the DNC and Clinton campaign which paid 50%/50% for the false dossier;
- they showed him a transcript with a doctored (false) version of his statements (his actual statements did not constitute any crime), he still maintained his innocence, then they said they would indict his son that day unless he plead guilty.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 5/11/2020 2:12:39 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7365
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 2:23:10 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Yesterday I had my first experience of being with someone as they slowly died. He was mentally disabled, and had very little verbal communication. In the past few weeks our bond had became stronger. In the past month The only time he wanted to get out of bed and sit in his chair was when I was there.

Yesterday he kept wanting me to get him out of bed. I could not do it. It was too painful for him for me to move him and I did not want to put neither one of us through it.

I was alone with him for hours yesterday morning. Three times he told me "It's Sunday". Sunday was a special day for him. No one had heard that in months.

My condolences. It is not easy to be there as someone dies.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 5/12/2020 5:13:35 AM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7366
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 2:24:40 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

but he plead guilty

I know.
Even though:
- the law prohibits prosecuting someone wrongfully;
- It was the DNC and Clinton campaign which paid 50%/50% for the false dossier;
- they showed him a transcript with a doctored (false) version of his statements (his actual statements did not constitute any crime), he still maintained his innocence, then they said they would indict his son that day unless he plead guilty.

Put those FBI people in with the lifers with no special protections.

― Julia Child

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7367
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 2:27:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Man, that is hard. Hope he wasn't truly fearful in the end

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7368
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 2:48:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

You know, the worst thing about Jimmy Comey is..if he just had the slightest bit of athletic ability he could have been WAAAY more popular than Larry Bird

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7369
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 2:51:03 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

M-M

Ah, unfortunate about the paywall.

Given that Flynn's hearing, his own lawyer (who would, one would hope, understand perjury) responded in the negative with regards to if Flynn had been entrapped, I don't think that one flies.

As for the DOJ, my opinion of that branch of the US government went down in flames after the events surrounding the release of the Mueller report.

Post #: 7370
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 3:12:46 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

M-M

Ah, unfortunate about the paywall.

Given that Flynn's hearing, his own lawyer (who would, one would hope, understand perjury) responded in the negative with regards to if Flynn had been entrapped, I don't think that one flies.

As for the DOJ, my opinion of that branch of the US government went down in flames after the events surrounding the release of the Mueller report.

If you are talking about Flynn's initial lawyers, well then I suspect they are in for a world class lawsuit for malfeasance and evidence continues to surface that they colluded with the prosecution. I would not be surprised that they get disbarred.

DOJ went down in flames well before Mueller report.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 7371
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 3:16:09 PM   
Lowpe

Interesting website graphing Rt value for US states with easy comparisons to different time frames.

https://rt.live/

Here is a focus on GA:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7372
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 3:27:40 PM   
Lowpe

Take your vitamin d...

Study reveals that vitamin D likely to reduce serious coronavirus complications

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/study-reveals-that-vitamin-d-likely-to-reduce-serious-coronavirus-complications/ar-BB13Uk3P

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7373
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 3:41:53 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Take your vitamin d...

Study reveals that vitamin D likely to reduce serious coronavirus complications

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/study-reveals-that-vitamin-d-likely-to-reduce-serious-coronavirus-complications/ar-BB13Uk3P

I saw something about that before. That could also explain why people with the natural tans could be hit harder.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7374
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 4:19:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Andrew McCarthy, former federal prosecutor explains the FBI Flynn interview problems.

quote:

Explosive internal FBI documents unsealed Wednesday show bureau officials executed a "meticulously planned-out scheme" in January 2017 to set up then-national security adviser Michael Flynn, former federal prosecutor Andy McCarthy told Fox News Wednesday.

"What we are seeing is a meticulously planned-out scheme to try to get a 33-year combat veteran of the United States to say something that was inaccurate so that they would have a basis to try to charge him with false statements or otherwise get him fired," McCarthy told "The Story."

READ THE BOMBSHELL FBI DOCUMENTS

"I think what we are seeing is a meticulously planned out scheme to try to get a 33-year combat veteran of the United States to say something that was inaccurate."

— Andy McCarthy, 'The Story'
The documents turned over by the Justice Department late Wednesday include handwritten notes in which FBI officials openly indicated that their "goal" was "to get him [Flynn] to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired" during special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into alleged collusion by Americans with Russian officials at the time of the 2016 election.

The handwritten notes -- written by the FBI's former head of counterintelligence Bill Priestap after a meeting with then-FBI Director James Comey and then-FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe -- indicated that agents planned to get Flynn “to admit to breaking the Logan Act” and catch him in a lie.

The Logan Act is an obscure statute that has never been used in a criminal prosecution. Enacted in 1799, it was intended to prevent individuals from falsely claiming to represent the United States abroad.

FBI DISCUSSED INTERVIEWING FLYNN 'TO GET HIM TO LIE'

"For years, a number of us have been arguing that this looked like a perjury trap," McCarthy said. "That was common sense for a long time."

Flynn has previously claimed top FBI officials, including then-Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, pressed him not to have an attorney present while he was questioned by two agents. That questioning ultimately led to Flynn's guilty plea on a single charge of lying to federal authorities about conversations with Russia's then-ambassador to Washington, Sergey Kislyak.

One of the agents who questioned Flynn was Peter Strzok, who was later fired from the bureau after his anti-Trump text messages came to light.

quote:

Techno Fog
@Techno_Fog
🚨🚨 DEVELOPING…

Unsealed FBI notes reveal the intent of the FBI’s 1/24/17 interview of Flynn:

“What is our goal? Truth/Admission or to get him to lie, so we can prosecute [Flynn] or get him fired?”

FBI Notes confirm it was all a pretext.

"They did not have a legitimate investigative reason for doing this and there was no criminal predicate or reason to treat him [Flynn] like a criminal suspect," McCarthy explained.

"They did the interview outside of the established protocols of how the FBI is supposed to interview someone on the White House staff. They are supposed to go through the Justice Department and the White House counsel's office. They obviously purposely did not do that and they were clearly trying to make a case on this."

Mueller eventually concluded that there was no evidence of collusion with Russian foreign nationals and President Trump's campaign. However, in 2017 Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about conversations with Russia’s ambassador before President Trump took office

In January, Flynn attempted to withdraw the guilty plea, saying federal prosecutors had acted in “bad faith” and broke their end of the bargain when they sought prison time for him.

Then-FBI Director James Comey admitted the Flynn interview didn't follow protocol, and came at his direction. He said the decision to "send a couple of guys over" to the White House to interview Flynn was “something I probably wouldn't have done or maybe gotten away with in a more … organized administration.”

"People should understand," McCarthy explained, "if General Flynn was a gangbanger or Mafia guy, they would have sat down with them or they would have told him, 'This is a criminal investigation,' they would have identified themselves as FBI agents, told him the reason for the interview, told him he had a right not to answer questions and told him if he made false statements, that could be grounds for prosecution. And if he made true statements, that can be used against him in a prosecution.

"They would do all of those things for criminals," he added.

Flynn's lead attorney, Sidney Powell, has demanded for months that the Department of Justice provide the exculpatory information that prosecutors are required by law to reveal to defendants they have charged with crimes.

Last month, President Trump said he was considering a full pardon for Flynn.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7375
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 6:33:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

My mom went back to her house after staying with my sister. She is happy as a lark but I don't think she realizes the danger still. I will talk to her. She talks to her neighbor and they yell at each other across the street. "Don't come any closer Maryann, we'll talk there."

Post #: 7376
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 7:31:23 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

M-M

And here it says that the people that released Flynn were "hand picked" by the administration. Flynn

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

Post #: 7377
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 7:51:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

M-M

And here it says that the people that released Flynn were "hand picked" by the administration. Flynn

That's how they got to be "FORMER" DOJ officials. Swamp creatures fighting back.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 7378
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 8:34:36 PM   
Nomad

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

M-M

That's how they got to be "FORMER" DOJ officials. Swamp creatures fighting back.

Please drain the swamp.

Post #: 7379
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/11/2020 8:36:13 PM   
Nomad

Here is a sad story about Covid-19 and the Navajo. https://apnews.com/c77cc3c537c9a2510b67dcb631b4d988

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 7380
Page:   <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  244 245 [246] 247 248   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI