Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:09:20 PM   
MakeeLearn

"Bill Gates is one of the notable celebrities (along with actress Jessica Chastain, Jay Z and others) backing the burgeoning plant-based meat industry. Besides Beyond Meat, the billionaire is also an early investor in Impossible Foods, which is reportedly mulling an IPO soon."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7411
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:10:22 PM   
MakeeLearn

Richard Branson Says Killing Animals for Food Will Be a Thing of the Past
March 13, 2019
https://www.livekindly.co/richard-branson-says-killing-animals-for-food-thing-past/

"In the blog post from last year, Branson wrote, “I believe we will look back and be shocked at what was the accepted way we killed animals en masse for food.”

He continued, “I think that in the future clean and plant-based meat will become the norm, and in 30 years it is unlikely animals will need to be killed for food anymore.”"

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7412
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:13:45 PM   
JohnDillworth

The problem with the masks and gloves (I work in spaces where other people touch stuff, I think gloves are as important as masks) is that is easy to get complacent. I’m super careful at work and don’t need the ppe at home so if I go out for a walk or errand I catch myself being a little sloppy. It is strange using cash. Went out for a rare does of fast food and handed the person at the drive in cash. I didn’t think anything of it until he handed me my change in cash. Money is a dirty thing. I always use cash but I suppose that is a habit that many of us will have to change. Not a big thing wearing a mask now but it gets hot and humid in the summer. Not going to be happy about this going forward

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7413
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:15:39 PM   
MakeeLearn

Bill Gates True Face Part4 – Gates & Memphis Meat
May 2, 2020

http://www.tamilpokkisham.com/bill-gates-true-face-part4-gates-memphis-meat/

"Bill gates have said that Meat markets across the world are open and it should be closed. Because the Virus spread from Wuhan Fishmarket. He says people not to consume meat. Meat should be banned. He wanted to create an issue so he placed a request. All Shops must be closed.
Who among you are vegetarians and Non-veg?"

"A farmer with his chickens, Sheep and cows. If needed the farmer may sell these animals to survive. Now there will be advt saying that the artificial meat is available and we don’t need to raise them. We are now consuming Bottled Water. The water which was available as free through Tap Water was said not hygienic water and we believed them. They created an illusion that Bottle water is hygienic.

So the same way they will say the meat produced from these animals will be unhygienic meat. But the meat from produced from the companies will have some levels of Oxygen, Amino Acid, Glucose. So if you consume this meat you will stay healthy. So if you consume meat which is raised by farmers that meat may contain some type of virus. They will surely say this in the future.

Now we have to decide our future at this particular time. "

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/12/2020 3:16:17 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7414
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:20:43 PM   
Canoerebel

I enjoyed reading this alot. Some of it tied in with my own experiences. In the early 1990s, the American Bar Association and the Georgia Bar began abandoning neutrality over politically divisive issues and first took strong stands in favor of one side of the abortion issue.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

How Becoming A Partisan Weapon Will Destroy Medicine

https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/12/how-becoming-a-partisan-weapon-will-destroy-medicine/

Gregg Schmedes, MD, serves in the New Mexico House of Representatives, representing District 22.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7415
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:22:13 PM   
Canoerebel

MakeeLearn, are you a nurse or PA or similar? I didn't know you administered morphine and things like that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Yesterday I had my first experience of being with someone as they slowly died. He was mentally disabled, and had very little verbal communication. In the past few weeks our bond had became stronger. In the past month The only time he wanted to get out of bed and sit in his chair was when I was there.

Yesterday he kept wanting me to get him out of bed. I could not do it. It was too painful for him for me to move him and I did not want to put neither one of us through it.

I was alone with him for hours yesterday morning. Three times he told me "It's Sunday". Sunday was a special day for him. No one had heard that in months.

Then he told me "They're coming". A minute later "No...No."

It had nothing to do with Coronavirus.

Man, that is hard. Hope he wasn't truly fearful in the end

He did seem scared. By noon I had given him 3 doses of Morphine and some Lorazepam. I comforted him the best I could with my hands and my words. By the time the Nurses arrived he was nonresponsive, then a while later he was gone. During the morning he used words I had never heard him use before. At times he was talking to me and other times it really seemed as if he was talking to someone else. I have undergone a quantum leap.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7416
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:26:50 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I enjoyed reading this alot. Some of it tied in with my own experiences. In the early 1990s, the American Bar Association and the Georgia Bar began abandoning neutrality over politically divisive issues and first took strong stands in favor of one side of the abortion issue.

quote:

How Becoming A Partisan Weapon Will Destroy Medicine

https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/12/how-becoming-a-partisan-weapon-will-destroy-medicine/

Gregg Schmedes, MD, serves in the New Mexico House of Representatives, representing District 22.

CONTROLVIRUS CORONAVIRUS

It is all about CONTROL.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7417
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:43:05 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

MakeeLearn, are you a nurse or PA or similar? I didn't know you administered morphine and things like that.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yesterday I had my first experience of being with someone as they slowly died. He was mentally disabled, and had very little verbal communication. In the past few weeks our bond had became stronger. In the past month The only time he wanted to get out of bed and sit in his chair was when I was there.

Yesterday he kept wanting me to get him out of bed. I could not do it. It was too painful for him for me to move him and I did not want to put neither one of us through it.

I was alone with him for hours yesterday morning. Three times he told me "It's Sunday". Sunday was a special day for him. No one had heard that in months.

He did seem scared. By noon I had given him 3 doses of Morphine and some Lorazepam. I comforted him the best I could with my hands and my words. By the time the Nurses arrived he was nonresponsive, then a while later he was gone. During the morning he used words I had never heard him use before. At times he was talking to me and other times it really seemed as if he was talking to someone else. I have undergone a quantum leap.

I work in what would be called a Mental Health Home. We have people of all ages. I do have a Degree in Biology, as far as "Medical" I can administer Meds. And things above my training I can bring in a Nurse or Doctor or get permission to do things from them over the phone or fax. Iam in a Supervisor role but do I do many things myself... Meds, cleaning, cooking, paperwork, finding movies everyone wants to watch, just talking, etc. We run things like a "Home."

Iam like a "Little Corporal" I can lead and I can get off my horse and lend a hand

I really like what I do.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7418
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:45:36 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I work in what would be called a Mental Health Home. We have people of all ages. I do have a Degree in Biology, as far as "Medical" I can administer Meds. And things above my training I can bring in a Nurse or Doctor or get permission to do things from them over the phone or fax. Iam in a Supervisor role but do I do many things myself... Meds, cleaning, cooking, paperwork, finding movies everyone wants to watch, just talking, etc. We run things like a "Home."

Iam like a "Little Corporal" I can lead and I can get off my horse and lend a hand

I really like what I do.

I had a job like that for awhile but I was not the supervisor.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7419
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:46:57 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Minnesota, Texas and Arizona are big states trending up (bad). Can't figure out how Vermont is doing so well and New Hampshire isn't. Happy to say New York continues to be among the lowest R0 states in the Continental U.S. Some of the mid=state will have partial reopening Friday and most of the rest is getting close. These are partial reopening, not much at first, but the trends are excellent. Economy-wise tourism will be last, but much of the rest of the economic engine should come back on line over the summer. I think they are waiting for after the Memorial Day weekend to open some things like the beaches (that's me, beach rat, big, ocean waves and swim out until the life guard has to whistle for me to come in). Transit and schools are the big challenge but they have a plan for both. Germany and Korea had to relock some hot spots. In both cases the hotspots were centered around bars and clubs so that's a good data point. Can't figure out how they are going to open up much of the offices in NYC while PPE is still a bit difficult to find and employers are required to provide. Better, but if you figure 1 mask , per person , per day, that is millions of masks per day.
https://covid19-projections.com/infections-tracker/

If by "trending up" you mean "more cases" in Texas, that's to be expected based upon the testing expansion. The raw numbers, taken out of context can disguise the big picture. Testing in Texas is 'lumpy'. Some days we're testing 9,000/day, other days 28,000/day. Overall attack rate (number of positives/number tested) is currently between 5-7%.

For a while in mid-April, about 8-10% of samples tested were positive. When we were only averaging about 4,000-6,000 tests/day.

Urgent care clinics are offering testing services, provided that individuals meet the (clinical) criteria for testing. Public Health departments are doing more testing of prisons, nursing homes and other confined or at risk local populations. We tend to get 'lumps' of cases when one of those testing blasts comes through. I think there's also a modest area of focal concentration of positives in and around the Dallas area identified recently.

But nothing that I'm seeing is 'troubling' or 'bad' in terms of trends. Mortality and case count in Texas has continued to be substantially below average. ICU beds are plentiful and underpopulated. We have a 1:11 ratio of ventilators in use: ventilators available, should it come to that measure of success.

Governor Abbot's done a good job of partial reopening state-wide. Balanced, judicious and timely. Later this week, more things will be getting the green light to reopen. The state has handled the outbreak very well and the proof is in the pudding.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7420
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 3:56:40 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like what I do.

What is really funny... visitors and new employees have mistaken me for a patient.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7421
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 4:18:53 PM   
Chickenboy

Add this onto the very long list of 'costs' associated with prolonged extreme quarantine measures:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/coronavirus-millions-of-people-expected-to-fall-ill-with-tuberculosis.html?recirc=taboolainternal

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7422
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 5:01:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Add this onto the very long list of 'costs' associated with prolonged extreme quarantine measures:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/coronavirus-millions-of-people-expected-to-fall-ill-with-tuberculosis.html?recirc=taboolainternal

I worked with someone who had TB. His immediate coworker caught it from him. I read where a lot of people have the bacteria that causes TB but may not get sick from it unless something happens to impact their immune system. When I had pneumonia a few years ago, they medical staff thought that I might have had TB because I was not responding to the treatments, at least initially. They put me in an isolation room. Then they figured out what it was.

Do you think that having viruses (phages) that attack the various strains but most especially the anti-biotic resistant ones would work effectively? Think of dispensing them with an inhaler like for asthmatics?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7423
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 5:17:05 PM   
Lokasenna

I took the last 4 weeks off from this place.

quote:

Richard Branson Says Killing Animals for Food Will Be a Thing of the Past
March 13, 2019
https://www.livekindly.co/richard-branson-says-killing-animals-for-food-thing-past/

"In the blog post from last year, Branson wrote, “I believe we will look back and be shocked at what was the accepted way we killed animals en masse for food.”

He continued, “I think that in the future clean and plant-based meat will become the norm, and in 30 years it is unlikely animals will need to be killed for food anymore.”"

Of course it will. Lab-grown meat will be how we get our meat in the future.

I saw a "Lab to Slab" billboard on the last episode of Westworld. Definitely realistic.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7424
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 5:21:10 PM   
fcooke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like what I do.

What is really funny... visitors and new employees have mistaken me for a patient.

I feel like I should be a patient some days....but I am social distancing myself from the TVs.....

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7425
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 5:22:51 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, Lokasenna, welcome back. You were missed and, several times last week, mentioned.

I'm not familiar with the term "plant-based meat." I don't know if that means meat substitutes like soy or, instead, animals grown in labs. Whatever it means, I'm pretty sure that most Americans in rural, semi-rural and small town environments will continue getting their meat the old-fashioned way. I know many people who have cattle and chickens. Many others who hunt. They won't change, at least not easily. It could well be a different matter for urban areas and for those who conscientiously oppose meat production practices. Of course, that's IMO.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7426
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 5:36:31 PM   
fcooke

Had a venison fest a few days ago. The guy who sourced the venison has asked me about the travel patterns of the wild turkeys on my property....I suspect the 'wild turkey' fest is next......

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7427
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 5:50:53 PM   
RangerJoe

What do you do with all of the animals if it all became meat from a factory? How about the over population of deer? There is a lot of agricultural land that is not suitable for crops, instead it is used for animals.

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 7428
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:05:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Hey, Lokasenna, welcome back. You were missed and, several times last week, mentioned.

I'm not familiar with the term "plant-based meat." I don't know if that means meat substitutes like soy or, instead, animals grown in labs. Whatever it means, I'm pretty sure that most Americans in rural, semi-rural and small town environments will continue getting their meat the old-fashioned way. I know many people who have cattle and chickens. Many others who hunt. They won't change, at least not easily. It could well be a different matter for urban areas and for those who conscientiously oppose meat production practices. Of course, that's IMO.

Well, my ears weren't itching or anything.

Noticed that the IHME model hasn't been updated for new by-August-4th casualty estimates in at least a week. We're already above the pre-reopening announcement estimates (~70K) by almost 10K deaths, in the official count.

I've had some bean-based "meat" before. It's OK. Once lab-grown meat is a real thing, I've got no problems switching to that.

Most Americans in rural/semi-rural/small towns aren't the source of our enormous meat demands - there just aren't enough of them compared to the number of people in cities. Small scale operations of real animal harvesting would probably still serve them just fine, if they didn't want lab-grown meat (or couldn't get it).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7429
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:11:16 PM   
Canoerebel

IHME was updated yesterday or the day before, as noted in one of my posts earlier today.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7430
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:11:30 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

What do you do with all of the animals if it all became meat from a factory? How about the over population of deer? There is a lot of agricultural land that is not suitable for crops, instead it is used for animals.

And there is a lot of land that is suitable for crops but is instead used for animals or the crops to feed them. Here are stats just for Iowa (offered without independent vetting of their claims and obviously not every acre used for pigs could be converted to crops, but a large portion of them could be - Iowa just isn't that geographically diverse):

https://www.iowapork.org/news-from-the-iowa-pork-producers-association/iowa-pork-facts/
6200 pig farms
22 million pigs at any one time (that's a lot of grain being used to feed pigs)
25% of all corn/soybean acreage in Iowa is used just to feed these pigs

https://www.lhf.org/learning-fields/crops/iowa-farm-facts/
Per 2012 numbers, produces the most eggs and pork of any state (and corn/soybeans)
1.3M acres of pastureland (not all of this is used for food-animal production obviously)
30.6M acres of farmland, of which 26.25M acres are crops (so perhaps as much as 6.5M acres are used to feed pigs alone)

Lab-grown meat has a lot of benefits all over the economy, if/when we get there, particularly for allocation of resources on farms.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7431
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:14:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

IHME was updated yesterday or the day before, as noted in one of my posts earlier today.

The August 4th total? Because it's shown 134K by August 4th for a week+. Maybe that's still their current, but I couldn't tell from a quick check if it was "we still think this" or "this was our latest run of the scenario which was a week ago."

If we stay plateaued maybe that's realistic, but if we see a spike in cases due to any premature reopenings, then it's not.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7432
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:16:34 PM   
MakeeLearn

H.R.6666 WHO “Contact Tracing” To Forcibly Remove People From Their Homes?
May 11, 2020

Link

"House proposal HR 6666, “The TRACE Act,” “To authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to award grants to eligible entities to conduct diagnostic forced testing for COVID–19, and related activities such as contact tracing, through mobile health units and, as necessary, at individuals’ residences, and for other purposes” violates the very idea of a civil society. It is a stunningly illegal power grab beyond what the Constitution offers the Congress, and an outright assault on the people to be deplored by all. And, it is also a massive waste of $100 billion – allocated for 2020 alone."

H.R.6666 - COVID-19 Testing, Reaching, And Contacting Everyone (TRACE) Act

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6666/text?r=2&s=1

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7433
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:19:44 PM   
Canoerebel

IHME's updated US mortality projection is 137k by August 4, if that's what you're looking for (I may not be comprehending the point you're making).

Georgia may be the bellwether for all this. We began gradually easing countermeasures 18 days ago. So far, so good. From my seat it seems like the easing wasn't premature. I gather from Chickenboy's post a few hours back that he feels the same about Texas. My daughter and son-in-law feel the same about Tennessee. But there is no doubt there are jurisdictions where easing wouldn't be prudent right now.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7434
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:21:30 PM   
MakeeLearn

They just LOVE them acronyms don't they!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7435
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:25:40 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Anxiety From Reactions to Covid-19 Will Destroy At Least Seven Times More Years of Life Than Can Be Saved by Lockdowns

https://www.justfacts.com/news_covid-19_anxiety_lockdowns_life_destroyed_saved

Huh?

Compared to what, the baseline without the existence of COVID? That's a dumb comparison. It's not like COVID wouldn't exist if there weren't lockdowns (quite the opposite in fact).

This "article" sets off my BS alarms.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7436
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:30:16 PM   
Lokasenna

Doublepost.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7437
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:33:42 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

IHME's updated US mortality projection is 137k by August 4, if that's what you're looking for (I may not be comprehending the point you're making).

Georgia may be the bellwether for all this. We began gradually easing countermeasures 18 days ago. So far, so good. From my seat it seems like the easing wasn't premature. I gather from Chickenboy's post a few hours back that he feels the same about Texas. My daughter and son-in-law feel the same about Tennessee. But there is no doubt there are jurisdictions where easing wouldn't be prudent right now.

Yes, that's the number I was looking at.

The state-by-state transmission number over on rt.live appears to be good data, although the confidence interval for recent dates for Texas and Georgia includes values higher than 1.0 (it looks like the data is refined over time as well and is about 7-days delayed).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7438
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:34:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

"This ain't what it looks like, mister. I just like them pretty acronyms."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7439
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/12/2020 6:45:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

MUST WATCH: Debunking the Narrative (With Prof. Dolores Cahill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avc6_ftzk3w

" Dolores Cahill, Professor, University College Dublin

Prof. Cahill received her degree in Molecular Genetics from Trinity College Dublin (1989)

and her PhD in Immunology from Dublin City University in 1994.

She was group leader of the Protein Technology Group in the Max-Planck-Institute of Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany (1996-2003) She co-founded a biotechnology company, Protagen AG (www.protagen.de) in Dortmund to commercialise this technology.

Since 2005, she is Professor of Translational Science at the UCD School of Medicine and Medical Sciences.

Her research, publication and patent record is in high content protein/antibody arrays and their biomedical applications.

Application include the characterisation of antibodies specificity (including therapeutic antibodies), biomarker discovery validation, diagnostics, assay development, protein-interaction studies, proteomics, large scale/systems biology research. "

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7440
Page:   <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  246 247 [248] 249 250   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI