Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  248 249 [250] 251 252   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 2:54:22 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Had a venison fest a few days ago. The guy who sourced the venison has asked me about the travel patterns of the wild turkeys on my property....I suspect the 'wild turkey' fest is next......

Sounds like a "wet market". I suggest that dressing animal meat in the field should include precautions against catching anything they might be carrying - brucellosis, encephalitis, Lyme's disease, etc. Ungulate animals do not pass too many things to humans but birds might. They get around more than most.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 7471
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 3:16:52 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Homer Simpson: "Mmmmmmm, Soylent Green."

That club outbreak in Seoul from 12 days ago has resulted in a total of... wait for it... 119 new infections. Here's the story: Infections linked to Itaewon clubs 'soar' to 119 [my scare quotes]

Call me optimistic, but 119 infections out of 14,121 at-risk people being tested tells me the system here is working (although the clubs' customer logbooks had a lot of bogus phone numbers, they did end up using cell phone triangulation and credit card data to track down the rest of the club goers and people nearby). Most of you gents are facing much higher numbers of new cases in your regions. Nevertheless, the government here pushed back public school openings one week. If they are going to overreact every time one of these spikes happens Little Johnny won't be seeing the inside of a classroom anytime soon.

Shout out to Cap Mandrake for meritorious service in the front lines of this outbreak. Keep up the good work, sir.

And hopefully Obvert has some good news for us (apologies if I missed an announcement).

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7472
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 10:03:11 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

The problem with the masks and gloves (I work in spaces where other people touch stuff, I think gloves are as important as masks) is that is easy to get complacent. I’m super careful at work and don’t need the ppe at home so if I go out for a walk or errand I catch myself being a little sloppy. It is strange using cash. Went out for a rare does of fast food and handed the person at the drive in cash. I didn’t think anything of it until he handed me my change in cash. Money is a dirty thing. I always use cash but I suppose that is a habit that many of us will have to change. Not a big thing wearing a mask now but it gets hot and humid in the summer. Not going to be happy about this going forward

Following Australia's example, Canada switched to a mylar-based dollar because it is more durable, cheaper in the long run and isn't destroyed by being left in your pocket in the washing machine. So you can wash your paper and coin cash before tendering it to someone for your fast food, collect the change in a bag and wash it when you get home. Don't forget to put the stopper in the sink!

quote:

Following Australia's example, Canada switched to a mylar-based dollar because it is more durable, cheaper in the long run and isn't destroyed by being left in your pocket in the washing machine. So you can wash your paper and coin cash before tendering it to someone for your fast food, collect the change in a bag and wash it when you get home. Don't forget to put the stopper in the sink!

This was the first fast food I have eaten in at least a year. I've just always preferred cash for day to day stuff. Pay is direct deposit and I just take out a bit each week for coffee and incidentals. I pack my own breakfast and lunch partially because I'm cheap, partially because it's sometimes hard to find something healthy to buy. Once they started to post calorie counts (about the same time as my heart attack 14 years ago) healthy eating became a bit of a necessity. My wife and kids say I'm just cheap or moths come out of dads wallet or dad has Confederate money in his wallet. All these card or phone systems advertise as convenient but are actually slower than plain old cash. Seems kind of dumb to pay two or three dollars via a debit card. Guess I will change with the times

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7473
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 10:08:18 AM   
JohnDillworth

This is what I was afraid of. If you don't like the numbers, just don't count them. Lies, obstruction and the substitution of magical thinking in the place of scientific rigor. This is simply cruel and dangerous https://www.wvgazettemail.com/washington_post/finance/health-officials-stopped-reporting-infections-at-nebraska-meatpacking-plants/article_16654791-1846-5515-850e-e8b7547fb2ff.html

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 7474
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:31:43 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Homer Simpson: "Mmmmmmm, Soylent Green."

That club outbreak in Seoul from 12 days ago has resulted in a total of... wait for it... 119 new infections. Here's the story: Infections linked to Itaewon clubs 'soar' to 119 [my scare quotes]

Call me optimistic, but 119 infections out of 14,121 at-risk people being tested tells me the system here is working (although the clubs' customer logbooks had a lot of bogus phone numbers, they did end up using cell phone triangulation and credit card data to track down the rest of the club goers and people nearby). Most of you gents are facing much higher numbers of new cases in your regions. Nevertheless, the government here pushed back public school openings one week. If they are going to overreact every time one of these spikes happens Little Johnny won't be seeing the inside of a classroom anytime soon.

Shout out to Cap Mandrake for meritorious service in the front lines of this outbreak. Keep up the good work, sir.

And hopefully Obvert has some good news for us (apologies if I missed an announcement).

Cheers,
CB

Hey Capt, enjoy your on the spot reporting!

There have been quite a few articles here about how scary and potentially dangerous the tracing program is with regards to personal liberty by a certain segment of the population here.

Personally, I find it a little scary too, but also it is very impressive. A state county by me here near Philly has gone down the same route with a very thorough and fast contact tracing solution, and they seem to have had incredible success.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 7475
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:43:13 AM   
fcooke

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Had a venison fest a few days ago. The guy who sourced the venison has asked me about the travel patterns of the wild turkeys on my property....I suspect the 'wild turkey' fest is next......

Sounds like a "wet market". I suggest that dressing animal meat in the field should include precautions against catching anything they might be carrying - brucellosis, encephalitis, Lyme's disease, etc. Ungulate animals do not pass too many things to humans but birds might. They get around more than most.

He's a safe guy - he brings it to a pro for prep. My sis in law had Lymes once. That is one nasty little bugger.

We have a couple of resident geese - they are off limits, even though they poop up the joint. But they have been here before we bought the place. The bass in the pond are in limits (and we have had many people come fish, all catch and release, during this thing - I think a good stress reliever, though they can take some home if they like.)

The resident bear is off limits, but the coyotes are on the hit list.

The dogs are off limit

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7476
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:52:21 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

This is what I was afraid of. If you don't like the numbers, just don't count them. Lies, obstruction and the substitution of magical thinking in the place of scientific rigor. This is simply cruel and dangerous https://www.wvgazettemail.com/washington_post/finance/health-officials-stopped-reporting-infections-at-nebraska-meatpacking-plants/article_16654791-1846-5515-850e-e8b7547fb2ff.html

I have posted several articles and links concerning this, and I think we all need to question the numbers and science more.

I find it interesting that the English govt keeps their transmission rates secret. Or that there hasn't been a case of influenza in New York for the last six weeks. Or that models are kept secret and cannot be independently verified. Or that a doctor on the Presidential panel reportedly doesn't trust the numbers coming out of the CDC. Or that our Sec of Health can remove her loved ones from nursing homes, while ordering them statewide to take covid positive patients. Or the case you highlight above.

I feel very certain that it is politics and not medicine that is dictating the majority of the response to this virus. Unfortunately, that is how the world operates. If you are powerful enough you can pretty much write your own rules especially when the medicine is uncertain -- it can easily be shaped by special interests.

For example here is an interesting article from Africa, who knows where the truth is. Was it a health threat or failure to pay a bribe? Or something else?

Nigeria demolishes two hotels for breach of coronavirus lockdown rules: report

https://www.foxnews.com/world/nigeria-demolishes-two-hotels-breach-coronavirus-lockdown-rules-report

Post #: 7477
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:59:42 AM   
Lowpe

More on Vitamin D, from Northwestern Univ.

Patients with severe deficiency are twice as likely to experience major complications

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507121353.htm

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7478
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:00:10 PM   
MakeeLearn

Preliminary Estimate of Excess Mortality During the COVID-19 Outbreak — New York City, March 11–May 2, 2020
May 11, 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e5.htm

"During March 11–May 2, 2020, a total of 32,107 deaths were reported to DOHMH; of these deaths, 24,172 (95% confidence interval = 22,980–25,364) were found to be in excess of the seasonal expected baseline. Included in the 24,172 deaths were 13,831 (57%) laboratory-confirmed COVID-19–associated deaths and 5,048 (21%) probable COVID-19–associated deaths, leaving 5,293 (22%) excess deaths that were not identified as either laboratory-confirmed or probable COVID-19–associated deaths"

"The 5,293 excess deaths not identified as confirmed or probable COVID-19–associated deaths might have been directly or indirectly attributable to the pandemic. The percentages of these excess deaths that occurred in persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 or resulted from indirect impacts of the pandemic are unknown and require further investigation."

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7479
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:05:17 PM   
MakeeLearn

Pennsylvania reports: average coronavirus death age 79; 67% happened in nursing homes
May 7, 2020

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/pennsylvania-covid-19-deaths-average-79-and-67-occurred-nursing-homes

"Pennsylvania health officials says 79 is the average age for coronvirus-related deaths in the state and that nearly 68% of those deaths occurred in assisted-living facilities – in one of the first state-based reports to breaking down virus statistics by age demographics. "

"Beyond the finding about the average age, the letter also states the 67.9% of the 3,106 people who have so far died in Pennsylvania – or 2,108 people – were living in nursing, personal-care and assisted-living facilities. The number translates to the 67.9% of all virus-deaths in these types of settings."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7480
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:08:40 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I feel very certain that it is politics and not medicine that is dictating the majority of the response to this virus. Unfortunately, that is how the world operates. If you are powerful enough you can pretty much write your own rules especially when the medicine is uncertain -- it can easily be shaped by special interests.

Amen. This is where a lack of central leadership really hurts. The least we could have is honest reporting of the numbers

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7481
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:12:53 PM   
MakeeLearn

Who is dying from the coronavirus in Massachusetts?

May 12, 2020

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/04/27/massachusetts-covid-19-deaths

Overall numbers:

Cases: 79,332
Deaths: 5,141

Average Age of death in confirmed cases : 82

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/13/2020 12:44:43 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7482
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:18:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Pennsylvania just gets stranger and stranger.

Adding fuel to the fire was the was admission that Health Secretary Levine removed her mother from a personal care home while not allowing the same priviledge to every other Pennsylvanian, as reported by State Representative Seth Grove of York County. Remember folks, this is the same Secretary Levine who sentenced hundreds of elderly Pennsylvanians to death by forcing the admission of Covid19 patients to nursing homes. On Monday morning, Pennsylvania State Senator Doug Mastriano called for the removal of Secretary of Health Dr. Levine, who he says has committed medical malpractice in mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic.

That sounds good to me but I don't live there.

I wonder about manslaughter charges . . .

Egads, you are kind of blood thirsty!

In the short run, this person's ability to lead has been seriously hurt and it hurts the Governor very badly. I suspect a resignation might be forthcoming.

In the longer term, I am not certain on the viability of suing the State, but lawyers are an innovative bunch of people.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7483
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:21:19 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

quote:

quote:

Adding fuel to the fire was the was admission that Health Secretary Levine removed her mother from a personal care home while not allowing the same priviledge to every other Pennsylvanian, as reported by State Representative Seth Grove of York County. Remember folks, this is the same Secretary Levine who sentenced hundreds of elderly Pennsylvanians to death by forcing the admission of Covid19 patients to nursing homes. On Monday morning, Pennsylvania State Senator Doug Mastriano called for the removal of Secretary of Health Dr. Levine, who he says has committed medical malpractice in mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic.

In the short run, this person's ability to lead has been seriously hurt and it hurts the Governor very badly. I suspect a resignation might be forthcoming.

In the longer term, I am not certain on the viability of suing the State, but lawyers are an innovative bunch of people.

Tar, feathers, a rail....

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7484
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:25:40 PM   
MakeeLearn

In this county in the 1830s 2 men were caught counterfeiting money. They were given a trial, found guilty - horse whipped then sent on their way.

I bet they learned more in one whipping than 10 years in jail and it saved society money.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7485
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:29:50 PM   
MakeeLearn

95% of Alabama coronavirus deaths among people with underlying conditions
May 12, 2020

https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/95-of-alabama-coronavirus-deaths-among-people-with-underlying-conditions.html

"Slightly more than 95% of Alabama’s coronavirus deaths were people with underlying health conditions, health department data shows."

"The median age of the fatalities was 72; the range of victims’ ages were 50 to 92. Seventy-four percent of those who died was older than age 65.

Sixty-three percent of the deaths among those with no underlying conditions were women; 37 percent were male. Fifty-three percent were white; 37 were black; and 11 percent were “other.”"

"Cardiovascular disease was the leading underlying medical conditions among the state’s coronavirus fatalities, found in 63 percent of those who died. Fifty-seven percent had “multiple underlying conditions” followed by diabetes (39%); renal disease (27%); and lung disease (25%)."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7486
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:31:12 PM   
MakeeLearn

Conditioning: lather, rinse, repeat.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7487
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:49:02 PM   
MakeeLearn

House Democrats Unveil $3 Trillion Aid Bill With Cash for States
7 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-democrats-unveil-dollar3-trillion-aid-bill-with-cash-for-states/ar-BB13Z5ux?li=BBnb7Kz

"(Bloomberg) -- House Democrats proposed a $3 trillion virus relief bill Tuesday, combining aid to state and local governments with direct cash payments, expanded unemployment insurance and food stamp spending as well as a list of progressive priorities like funds for voting by mail and the troubled U.S. Postal Service."

"“Not acting is the most expensive course,” Pelosi said at the Capitol. “We face the biggest catastrophe in our nation’s history.”

The bill is a follow-up to the $3 trillion Congress has already spent on four bills in response to the crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic, which has ground the world’s biggest economy to a halt."

------------------

“We face the biggest catastrophe in our nation’s history.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7488
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:51:50 PM   
Canoerebel

France has 14.6% mortality (total cases divided by mortality, Worldometers). Italy, UK, Belgium, Sweden and Netherlands are over 10%. Spain is right at 10%. The US at 6%. Germany at 4.4%. South Korea 2.5%. Japan 4%.

There are large numbers of cases in many countries, but mortality percentages differ greatly. Why? Tabulating criteria? Quality of medical care? Average age or underlying health conditions of patients? Population density? Environmental conditions (such as pollution)? A combination of these and/or others?

One possibility: 3.6% of Japanese are obese (BMI over 30). The correlation doesn't hold well among western nations, however, where the rate is 39% of Americans, 29% UK and 23% Germany (figures limited to adults for these three nations) - if obesity were the overriding factor, you'd expect the highest mortality rate to be in the US.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/13/2020 12:57:38 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7489
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:53:48 PM   
MakeeLearn

If the politicians, Bill Gates, et al. really care about my health... my life, then they can give me 10 million dollars and I will sign a paper relieving them of that heavy responsibility.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/13/2020 12:57:26 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7490
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 12:59:50 PM   
JohnDillworth

Data Point: Cost of food has gone up dramatically https://foodindustryexecutive.com/2020/05/food-prices-rose-tremendously-in-april-cpi-report/
I personally would like to apologize to the group as I feel my family has been entirely responsible for the massive rise in the price of eggs, cereal and bakery good. My household has taken up baking like it is a competitive sport.

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 5/13/2020 1:03:13 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7491
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:03:54 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

France has 14.6% mortality (total cases divided by mortality, Worldometers). Italy, UK, Belgium, Sweden and Netherlands are over 10%. Spain is right at 10%. The US at 6%. Germany at 4.4%. South Korea 2.5%. Japan 4%.

There are large numbers of cases in many countries, but mortality percentages differ greatly. Why? Tabulating criteria? Quality of medical care? Average age or underlying health conditions of patients? Population density? Environmental conditions (such as pollution)? A combination of these and/or others?

One possibility: 3.6% of Japanese are obese (BMI over 30). The correlation doesn't hold well among western nations, however, where the rate is 39% of Americans, 29% UK and 23% Germany (figures limited to adults for these three nations) - if obesity were the overriding factor, you'd expect the highest mortality rate to be in the US.

I think that the reason is the higher number of tests per capita done because that would find more cases. More milder cases found and found sooner for appropriate medical care would mean fewer deaths per case. But what do I know, I am not a politician.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7492
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:08:53 PM   
fcooke

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

House Democrats Unveil $3 Trillion Aid Bill With Cash for States
7 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-democrats-unveil-dollar3-trillion-aid-bill-with-cash-for-states/ar-BB13Z5ux?li=BBnb7Kz

"(Bloomberg) -- House Democrats proposed a $3 trillion virus relief bill Tuesday, combining aid to state and local governments with direct cash payments, expanded unemployment insurance and food stamp spending as well as a list of progressive priorities like funds for voting by mail and the troubled U.S. Postal Service."

"“Not acting is the most expensive course,” Pelosi said at the Capitol. “We face the biggest catastrophe in our nation’s history.”

The bill is a follow-up to the $3 trillion Congress has already spent on four bills in response to the crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic, which has ground the world’s biggest economy to a halt."

------------------

“We face the biggest catastrophe in our nation’s history.

A self imposed catastrophe which the politicians are having a feeding frenzy on. I would argue the Civil War might have been more of a catastrophe.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7493
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:09:56 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

France has 14.6% mortality (total cases divided by mortality, Worldometers). Italy, UK, Belgium, Sweden and Netherlands are over 10%. Spain is right at 10%. The US at 6%. Germany at 4.4%. South Korea 2.5%. Japan 4/10ths of a percent.

There are large numbers of cases in many countries, but mortality percentages differ greatly. Why? Tabulating criteria? Quality of medical care? Average age or underlying health conditions of patients? Population density? Environmental conditions (such as pollution). A combination of these and/or others?

One possibility: 3.6% of Japanese are obese (BMI over 30). The correlation doesn't hold well among western nations, however, where the rate is 39% of Americans, 29% UK and 23% Germany (figures limited to adults for these three nations).

These are the questions that need answering I think. I tend to think it is a combination of factors, but then which of those factors is most meaningful? For example CR mentions density:

Interestingly, Seoul's population density is almost twice that of New York City, four times higher than Los Angeles and eight times higher than the density of Rome.

Diet? Past experience with viral outbreaks? How about effectiveness of local govt? Life cycle of the virus?

Here is a study from Canada:

Canadian study finds temperature, latitude not associated with COVID-19 spread

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200508083551.htm

A new study finds that temperature and latitude do not appear to be associated with the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), but school closures and other public health measures are having a positive effect.

--
BTW, This is the 3rd source I have seen that mentions closing schools to have a positive effect.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/13/2020 1:18:42 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7494
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:10:36 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not blood thirsty. I have never had Black pudding (blood pudding) nor do I care for blood sausage. I have had blood sausage. Give me a good Thuringian bratwurst. Even with curry ketchsup and curry powder on it. Mit pomme frites und mayonaise, und ein gute bier!

But the idea is to send a message that such actions are not tolerated. Just having them resign probably is not punishment enough since the people involved will probably just become a paid lobbyist, lobbying their cronies still in government. And regular prison, no country club. In fact, put them in with lifers whose grandparents died from Covid-19 but don't give them special protection. I wonder if they would then squeal like a pig . . .

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 5/13/2020 2:06:51 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7495
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:14:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

This was the first fast food I have eaten in at least a year. I've just always preferred cash for day to day stuff. Pay is direct deposit and I just take out a bit each week for coffee and incidentals. I pack my own breakfast and lunch partially because I'm cheap, partially because it's sometimes hard to find something healthy to buy. Once they started to post calorie counts (about the same time as my heart attack 14 years ago) healthy eating became a bit of a necessity. My wife and kids say I'm just cheap or moths come out of dads wallet or dad has Confederate money in his wallet. All these card or phone systems advertise as convenient but are actually slower than plain old cash. Seems kind of dumb to pay two or three dollars via a debit card. Guess I will change with the times

My family has switched over too. We opened up a separate petty cash debit card, with no more than a few hundred dollar balance (in case it gets hacked/stolen). The card actually pays 10 cents every time we use it to pay for a transaction in person -- encouraging us to use it for smaller transactions. It has reduced our cash transactions almost to 0.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/13/2020 1:17:36 PM >

Post #: 7496
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:16:04 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not blood thirsty. I have never had Black pudding (blood pudding) nor do I care for blood sausage. I have had blood sausage. Give me a good Thuringian bratwurst. Even with curry ketchsup and curry powder on it. Mit pomme frites und mayonaise, und ein gute bier!

But the idea is to send a message that such actions are not tolerated. Just having them resign probably is not punishment enough since they people involved will probably just become a paid lobbyist, lobbying their cronies still in government. And regular prison, no country club. In fact, put them in with lifers whose grandparents died from Covid-19 but don't give them special protection. I wonder if they would then squeal like a pig . . .

But still you would look awfully silly if the reason behind pulling out her mother was a well documented case of elder abuse.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/13/2020 1:20:00 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7497
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:19:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

My household has taken up baking like it is a competitive sport.

Funny you should mention that.

Our supermarkets here have resumed a sense of near normalcy for most things. A month or so ago, you'd have great difficulty in locating toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, hand sanitizer and anything with bleach as a primary ingredient. Now these things are readily available.

But I haven't been able to locate baker's yeast (instant dry yeast) anywhere in the last couple of weeks. I actually went into the store to find some (usually I use the curbside grocery pickup service to reduce exposure) last week. Empty shelves. AP flour was pretty sparse too.

Post #: 7498
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:24:35 PM   
fcooke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But the idea is to send a message that such actions are not tolerated. Just having them resign probably is not punishment enough since they people involved will probably just become a paid lobbyist, lobbying their cronies still in government. And regular prison, no country club. In fact, put them in with lifers whose grandparents died from Covid-19 but don't give them special protection. I wonder if they would then squeal like a pig . . .

Black pudding is one of life's great treats. Hard to find up here in Orange county though.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out after this. I am very done with career politicians. And I really hate the 'do as I say, not as I do' crowd. IMO we could benefit from more small biz owners, caregivers, workers in govt who have a dash of common sense - and ethics.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7499
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 1:24:42 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

My household has taken up baking like it is a competitive sport.

Funny you should mention that.

Our supermarkets here have resumed a sense of near normalcy for most things. A month or so ago, you'd have great difficulty in locating toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, hand sanitizer and anything with bleach as a primary ingredient. Now these things are readily available.

But I haven't been able to locate baker's yeast (instant dry yeast) anywhere in the last couple of weeks. I actually went into the store to find some (usually I use the curbside grocery pickup service to reduce exposure) last week. Empty shelves. AP flour was pretty sparse too.

We did our big shopping trip yesterday, went to 2 groceries and Costco. Meat expensive, and one grocery was almost totally sold out. Baking supplies restricted purchase inventory and choice very low. Milk plentiful (used to be restricted). Eggs getting more expensive and brands we never saw before. Butter cheaper. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex difficult to find and impossible to find the brands my wife swears by. Cleaning supplies restricted and difficult to find.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7500
Page:   <<   < prev  248 249 [250] 251 252   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  248 249 [250] 251 252   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI