Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about gas clouds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about gas clouds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about gas clouds - 5/12/2020 4:00:05 PM   
CariadocThorne

How do i find out what resources a gas cloud has?

I've sent an exploration ship to explore gas clouds, but when I look, it still lists resources as unknown. I can't find anything in the tech tree which says it lets you identify gas cloud resources, and after searching online and in the manual, I can't find anything about this.
Post #: 1
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/13/2020 9:56:36 AM   
Shogouki

A ship with the resource profile sensor will identify what type of gas a nebula cloud contains just like resources on planets and asteroids. Not sure why it wouldn't be identified if the explorer that you sent there was equipped with a resource scanner. Was the specific node (the little + that denotes a specific nebula cloud) that was showing up as unidentified visited by your explorers?

(in reply to CariadocThorne)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/13/2020 11:43:34 AM   
CariadocThorne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shogouki

A ship with the resource profile sensor will identify what type of gas a nebula cloud contains just like resources on planets and asteroids. Not sure why it wouldn't be identified if the explorer that you sent there was equipped with a resource scanner. Was the specific node (the little + that denotes a specific nebula cloud) that was showing up as unidentified visited by your explorers?

Yes, I had 5 explorer ships exploring the systems nearest my starting system, no problems with normal star systems, but when I sent them to explore the gas clouds, they traveled there, said they'd finished their mission, but when I selected the system it said unknown for resources. I tried telling them to explore the system again, but nothing happened.

I'm not running any major mods, ony a tiny set of tweaks I made myself, which only changes the speed values for hyperdrives and the damage value for missiles and missile bombers. I'll try again in a new game.

< Message edited by CariadocThorne -- 5/13/2020 11:44:40 AM >

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/13/2020 10:53:47 PM   
Shogouki

Very odd. Were they scared away by Kaltors possibly?

Post #: 4
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/14/2020 9:44:13 PM   
stuart3

I get this issue as well. Researching Enhanced Resource Exploration, which I always research very early as a matter of policy, cures it for me. I don't know why.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/15/2020 1:59:24 PM   
Aeson

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuart3

I get this issue as well. Researching Enhanced Resource Exploration, which I always research very early as a matter of policy, cures it for me. I don't know why.

Probably, it cures the issue because the increased scan range makes it much more likely that the gas cloud object will be within scan range when the exploration passes through and thus will have its resources revealed. I have no idea why the base level resource scanner wouldn't work for you or CariadocThorne, though.

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/15/2020 2:31:53 PM   
CariadocThorne

quote:

Yep, that fixed it. If that is a requirement, it would be nice for it to be mentioned somewhere in game.

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/15/2020 3:55:03 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Increasing scan range for scouts is one of my very first research items. Just the first level will greatly increase the speed of exploration since they don't have to travel all the way to the object to scan it and as stated above it solves scouts not identifying stuff.

Post #: 8
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/15/2020 4:30:08 PM   
stuart3

quote:

ORIGINAL: CariadocThorne

quote:

Yep, that fixed it. If that is a requirement, it would be nice for it to be mentioned somewhere in game.

I suspect that documenting the matter was overlooked because it wasn't an issue in DW's base game. Pre-Warp starts were introduced in one of the DLCs. Until then, players started the game with Enhance Resource Exploration already researched.

Post #: 9
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/15/2020 5:52:36 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CariadocThorne

quote:

I suspect that documenting the matter was overlooked because it wasn't an issue in DW's base game. Pre-Warp starts were introduced in one of the DLCs. Until then, players started the game with Enhance Resource Exploration already researched.

Good point!

I've never seen a problem with identifying resources in gas clouds because I 1) always play with Pre-warp start and 2) generally don't explore gas clouds until after I've explored a good number of star systems first. By then, I've almost always researched Enhanced Resource Exploration.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about gas clouds - 5/17/2020 12:44:56 PM   
sneo24

Same, also i buy the information from other empires or exchanged. The ruins helps too.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about gas clouds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI