Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  253 254 [255] 256 257   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 4:35:40 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Just a quick post on this OT event. Sebastian was born on May 11 at 21:53 in London. Everyone is now home and healthy, napping actually.

Outstanding and congratulations! Yeah, sometimes they lay low for the first 2 weeks. Once you think this ones going to be easy they perk up. Great news in tough times. All the best to you and your family

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7621
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 4:38:56 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

France has 14.6% mortality (total cases divided by mortality, Worldometers). Italy, UK, Belgium, Sweden and Netherlands are over 10%. Spain is right at 10%. The US at 6%. Germany at 4.4%. South Korea 2.5%. Japan 4/10ths of a percent.

There are large numbers of cases in many countries, but mortality percentages differ greatly. Why? Tabulating criteria? Quality of medical care? Average age or underlying health conditions of patients? Population density? Environmental conditions (such as pollution). A combination of these and/or others?

One possibility: 3.6% of Japanese are obese (BMI over 30). The correlation doesn't hold well among western nations, however, where the rate is 39% of Americans, 29% UK and 23% Germany (figures limited to adults for these three nations).

These are the questions that need answering I think. I tend to think it is a combination of factors, but then which of those factors is most meaningful? For example CR mentions density:

Interestingly, Seoul's population density is almost twice that of New York City, four times higher than Los Angeles and eight times higher than the density of Rome.

Diet? Past experience with viral outbreaks? How about effectiveness of local govt? Life cycle of the virus?

Here is a study from Canada:

Canadian study finds temperature, latitude not associated with COVID-19 spread

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200508083551.htm

A new study finds that temperature and latitude do not appear to be associated with the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), but school closures and other public health measures are having a positive effect.

--
BTW, This is the 3rd source I have seen that mentions closing schools to have a positive effect.

The gold standard of mortality won’t be available for a year or two. At that time you will be able to determine a simple number. Using years and years of historical records you determine two numbers. How many people were expected to die in 2020 In a a world without Covid, against how many actually did. Subtract one from the other and you have “excess mortality”. That is how many were killed, by all causes, from Covid. All causes: Covid, suicide, delayed medical care, people that should have gone to a doctor but didn’t, ect

With all due respect, that number you cited-the 'excess mortality' number gleaned in the future won't directly address COVID deaths alone. As we are all finding out, deaths caused by suicide, depression, alcohol or drug abuse, physical abuse, delayed surgeries, etc. aren't directly attributable to COVID, but our response to COVID. It is entirely possible that our overzealous response may have put more people in harms' way than it has saved. We need to be able to suss this number from the COVID-specific deaths to have meaningful insight into how to deal with these things in the future. Assigning our self-wrought troubles (and ALL 'excess mortality') to COVID would be too simplistic.

Overzealous is the wrong word by far.

From Scotland's data that I posted earlier, Covid is accounting for almost all (96%) of the 400 or so excess deaths for this current time of year.

I think it's too early for insight into the wider effects just quite yet, as I suspect they'll be tied to the economic ramifications of C19 more so the health ramifications.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7622
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 4:47:01 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Just a quick post on this OT event. Sebastian was born on May 11 at 21:53 in London. Everyone is now home and healthy, napping actually.

Many congratulations, Eric!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7623
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 4:57:35 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Early in this thread, there was a chart posted showing transmissibility (Ro) vs. lethality of Covid-19. It showed the same rates for other infectious diseases, including the 1918 Spanish flu-type. My recollection is that the chart (this is at least two months ago) indicated Covid-19 was more transmissible but less lethal than the 1918 flu.

At that time, Covid's Ro was estimated, I believe, at around 2.5 or 2.8. Lethality was then above 1%.

I assume the Ro has remained the same, but through countermeasures the "manipulated" Ro has dropped below 1.0 for about 90% of the states and for the country as a whole and for most other nations. And lethality is somewhere closer to 0.1%, much less than estimated early on.

I'd be interested to see that chart again and any analysis into how the estimated rates might've changed since. How does it compare to 1918 now?

Overall, we met the early objective of flattening the curve. The Ro rate has proven susceptible to countermeasures. We've begun easing them, in some cases as much as a month ago. And thus far the results are very promising. The main problems continue to be confined to limited areas, in many cases in jurisdictions that haven't begun easing. In those that have, flare ups have been limited.

Looks like Covid R0 value has been upgraded to 5.7. https://www.healthline.com/health/r-nought-reproduction-number#meaning. If this number is correct Covid is significantly more contagious than the Spanish

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 5/14/2020 4:59:33 PM >

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7624
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:06:00 PM   
JohnDillworth

Lots of technical detail here but if you jump down to the Discussion section the CDC is citing a study that shows Covid-19 with an R0 value of 5.7 which is significantly more infectious than originally though. Hopefully someone smart like Chickenboy can take a look at this and render an opinion.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 7625
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:22:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Our mall is just a couple of miles down the road. For many years, I've routinely taken my lunch there, purchased a large unsweet ice tea, and read while eating. I resumed doing so last week, after a six-week Covid-hiatus. At first, there was next to nobody in the food court or in line at the vendors. Today was noticeably, remarkably more busy. People are definitely much more active. As best I can tell, there remains a wariness and caution about the wheels possibly coming off. Set against that feeling is an increasing confidence in returning to a more active work- and lifestyle. People are careful and polite in maintaining social distancing and being courteous. All restaurant employees wear masks. Only a few customers do - probably less than ten percent. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities remain on lockdown.

Post #: 7626
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:38:28 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Our mall is just a couple of miles down the road. For many years, I've routinely taken my lunch there, purchased a large unsweet ice tea, and read while eating. I resumed doing so last week, after a six-week Covid-hiatus. At first, there was next to nobody in the food court or in line at the vendors. Today was noticeably, remarkably more busy. People are definitely much more active. As best I can tell, there remains a wariness and caution about the wheels possibly coming off. Set against that feeling is an increasing confidence in returning to a more active work- and lifestyle. People are careful and polite in maintaining social distancing and being courteous. All restaurant employees wear masks. Only a few customers do - probably less than ten percent. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities remain on lockdown.

I hope I’m wrong and leaving politics aside I honestly feel that there is a strong current of “ contrary for the sake of being contrary” in this country. Folks may put a patriotic face on it but I am truly afraid that said contrary streak is going to get us in an awful lot of trouble this time. This microbe is heartless, mindless, unrelenting and doesn’t give a fig if you are blue or red or white or brown or what courts or Governors or TV pundits or newspapers say. It will stop when the virus says it stops and if we do nothing or little we will reap the whirlwind. Time will prove me right or wrong. I sincerely hope I am wrong

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7627
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:42:30 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

You are in Georgia, you don't have to call it unsweet, it is assumed.

The lockdown can't continue much longer. You know why. No study, no models. Simply that my wife's Bible Study group (met over Zoom today) wants to go to the hairdresser and quite frankly that is a demographic group that you don't want to mess with.

The lockdown, at least here in Pennsylvania, was never really a lockdown. Heck, Karate clubs got labelled essential. Or there is footage of the press dutifully social distancing and wearing masks during televised press activities, and once the cameras are presumed to be off, the masks come off and they are backslapping each other virus be damned.

The two week experiment at flattening the curve, not over running the medical system, turned into a two month experiment in getting the testing numbers up, and now, according to WHO will take 5 years to control the virus. I am reminded of the Vietnam era saying, to save the village, we had to destroy it and that is what is happening to the medical system.

It is the Wild West out there! I am waiting for Human Sacrifice to resurface.

Wisconsin bars flooded with patrons hours after state Supreme Court strikes down coronavirus stay-at-home order

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsin-bar-crowds-stay-at-home-order-supreme-court-coronavirus

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7628
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:44:14 PM   
Canoerebel

To John D: That feeling is probably influenced heavily by location. I think the situation in NYC is so vastly different than what it is here that we'd have difficulty comprehending what you're dealing with and how it shapes your feeling about things. And vice versa. That's one advantage of letting governors make decisions, rather than implementing one-size-fits-all decisions. There's never been a sense in my region (nor, as best I can tell, in my state) of people being contrary. My community responded early and pretty enthusiastically to countermeasures. Bear in mind that we closed our schools about ten days or more before NYC. The press is probably misrepresenting the situation, at least as it exists here.

Post #: 7629
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:45:31 PM   
MakeeLearn

Vitamin D appears to play role in COVID-19 mortality rates
May 8, 2020

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-vitamin-d-role-covid-mortality.html

"After studying global data from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, researchers have discovered a strong correlation between severe vitamin D deficiency and mortality rates. "

"This is exactly where Backman believes vitamin D plays a major role. Not only does vitamin D enhance our innate immune systems, it also prevents our immune systems from becoming dangerously overactive. This means that having healthy levels of vitamin D could protect patients against severe complications, including death, from COVID-19."

""Our analysis shows that it might be as high as cutting the mortality rate in half," Backman said. "

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7630
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:47:28 PM   
MakeeLearn

Estimating The Infection Fatality Rate Among Symptomatic COVID-19 Cases In The United States
May 07, 2020

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00455

"Knowing the infection fatality rate (IFR)...."

"The IFR-S in the US was estimated to be 1.3% (95% central credible interval: 0.6% to 2.1%). County-specific rates varied from 0.5% to 3.6%. The overall IFR for COVID-19 should be lower when we account for cases that remain and recover without symptoms."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7631
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:48:48 PM   
MakeeLearn

SO..... ~98% of people will not die from CV19?!

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/14/2020 5:49:01 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7632
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:50:04 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

I hope I’m wrong and leaving politics aside I honestly feel that there is a strong current of “ contrary for the sake of being contrary” in this country. Folks may put a patriotic face on it but I am truly afraid that said contrary streak is going to get us in an awful lot of trouble this time. This microbe is heartless, mindless, unrelenting and doesn’t give a fig if you are blue or red or white or brown or what courts or Governors or TV pundits or newspapers say. It will stop when the virus says it stops and if we do nothing or little we will reap the whirlwind. Time will prove me right or wrong. I sincerely hope I am wrong

I heard, by which I mean you should question, on the radio hourly news update that 50% of Americans are tapping into their retirement savings because of Covid. In addition that 1/3 of credit card holders are getting their allowable credit reduced.

I kind of give credence to this considering my background. A small business owner is ineligible for unemployment. Their business value (if impacted by lockdwon) is now approaching 0 if not badly into the red.

It simply seems to me that they are damned if they do and certainly damned if they don't. The rational decision is to open up and face the uncertain virus and govt reaction over the certain economic death.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2020 5:54:00 PM >

Post #: 7633
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:52:45 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: CanoerebelThe press is probably misrepresenting the situation, at least as it exists here.

Ya think. I guess they can't understand offering hearts to the Sun God, those heathens.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7634
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 5:57:10 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

SO..... ~98% of people will not die from CV19?!

Which would make it much more deadly than influenza.

However the death rate for influenza is calculated much differently.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7635
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:03:33 PM   
Canoerebel

A few weeks ago, there were reports that the mortality rate for Covid would end up at 0.1% or thereabouts. That's roughly in line with seasonal flu and means that one out of a thousand infected patients would be expected to die (that's what I think it means, anyhow). That information is a few weeks old, so there may have been adjustments. But nobody's been talking 2% after about April 1.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7636
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:06:23 PM   
Canoerebel

Small businesses account for 49% of jobs in America, so how they're faring is critical to the economy.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7637
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:06:46 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

France has 14.6% mortality (total cases divided by mortality, Worldometers). Italy, UK, Belgium, Sweden and Netherlands are over 10%. Spain is right at 10%. The US at 6%. Germany at 4.4%. South Korea 2.5%. Japan 4/10ths of a percent.

There are large numbers of cases in many countries, but mortality percentages differ greatly. Why? Tabulating criteria? Quality of medical care? Average age or underlying health conditions of patients? Population density? Environmental conditions (such as pollution). A combination of these and/or others?

One possibility: 3.6% of Japanese are obese (BMI over 30). The correlation doesn't hold well among western nations, however, where the rate is 39% of Americans, 29% UK and 23% Germany (figures limited to adults for these three nations).

These are the questions that need answering I think. I tend to think it is a combination of factors, but then which of those factors is most meaningful? For example CR mentions density:

Interestingly, Seoul's population density is almost twice that of New York City, four times higher than Los Angeles and eight times higher than the density of Rome.

Diet? Past experience with viral outbreaks? How about effectiveness of local govt? Life cycle of the virus?

Here is a study from Canada:

Canadian study finds temperature, latitude not associated with COVID-19 spread

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200508083551.htm

A new study finds that temperature and latitude do not appear to be associated with the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), but school closures and other public health measures are having a positive effect.

--
BTW, This is the 3rd source I have seen that mentions closing schools to have a positive effect.

The gold standard of mortality won’t be available for a year or two. At that time you will be able to determine a simple number. Using years and years of historical records you determine two numbers. How many people were expected to die in 2020 In a a world without Covid, against how many actually did. Subtract one from the other and you have “excess mortality”. That is how many were killed, by all causes, from Covid. All causes: Covid, suicide, delayed medical care, people that should have gone to a doctor but didn’t, ect

With all due respect, that number you cited-the 'excess mortality' number gleaned in the future won't directly address COVID deaths alone. As we are all finding out, deaths caused by suicide, depression, alcohol or drug abuse, physical abuse, delayed surgeries, etc. aren't directly attributable to COVID, but our response to COVID. It is entirely possible that our overzealous response may have put more people in harms' way than it has saved. We need to be able to suss this number from the COVID-specific deaths to have meaningful insight into how to deal with these things in the future. Assigning our self-wrought troubles (and ALL 'excess mortality') to COVID would be too simplistic.

Although, few are looking for the lives saved by lockdowns. I posted two separate studies a while back on lives saved due to pollution reduction and less traffic on the roads and fewer accidents. In CA alone fatal accidents were halved over the period measured. In the study on pollution in Europe an estimated 11,000+ lives were saved/extended during the month of study due to lower pollution rates, and other health conditions like asthma and early term births were lessened as well.

There are possibly more reasons people might be less vulnerable to certain causes of death in lockdown. Those should all be part of the count too.

So far worldwide suicides are tracking normally, as I posted in the same area.

Due to the connection between Covid and heart conditions that one is going to be hard to sort out in the end. Possibly also other underlying conditions where someone never was tested for Covid but died of another cause, yet had the virus.

It's all a big mess, but very complex.

They are all good points, with the last, that they are very complex being best. It is also very early.

You could argue that the lack of automobile accidents (and resultant savings in life) is partially offset by a reduction in the supply of organ transplants. Certainly suicide in two years from now from despair whatever the reason but linked to covid is certainly not counted.

Or the delay in scheduled operations causes many problems those surgeries would have found to be delayed. Conversely in the short run there will be less medical mistake deaths because those operations are delayed.

In the best of times, at least here in the US, you can't get reliable suicide numbers for two years and at least 1/3rd of all causes of death are incorrect.

We did however, have two very good petri dishes to look at early in this. The Diamnond Princess and the American warship.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7638
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:18:34 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

One way to look at John, is that every day the lockdown continues subtract x% from your pension, and imagine you have 0 income coming in. You are looking at either tapping your pension for money (with early withdraw penalties) and or re-mortgaging your house.

Oh, wait. You can't re-mortgage your house because all of sudden you have no income. Selling your house, and praying that you will be able to find an apartment where you can pass a credit check.

Add to this formula, that you happen to live in an area where 66% of deaths are in nursing homes with an average age of 79 and a median age of 84 with severe comorbidities.

A lot of people are acting very rationally on all sides of this.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/14/2020 6:30:16 PM >

Post #: 7639
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:22:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

If preventive health care actually works, there will be downstream consequences from delayed or missed preventive measures (colonoscopy, mammograms, cervical exam, diabetes checks, eye checks for diabetes, blood pressure management, preventive vaccinations etc. etc)

You won't see these problems in two months.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7640
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:23:46 PM   
Cap Mandrake

On the other hand, you have to include the massive reduction in human suffering from not doing colonoscopy preps.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 7641
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:28:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

A few weeks ago, there were reports that the mortality rate for Covid would end up at 0.1% or thereabouts. That's roughly in line with seasonal flu and means that one out of a thousand infected patients would be expected to die (that's what I think it means, anyhow). That information is a few weeks old, so there may have been adjustments. But nobody's been talking 2% after about April 1.

This is a from May 5 about a half hour:

German virologist: Covid-19 is less deadly than we thought

Freddie Sayers talks to Professor Hendrik Streeck about why he thinks lockdown measures were initiated too quickly, and how his findings show a Covid-19 fatality rate of 0.24-0.36%.

The deadliness of Covid-19, measured by the “Infected Fatality Rate” or what percentage of infected people end up dying, has become an issue of global significance.

At UnHerd, we’ve spoken to experts at both ends of the range of estimates, from Neil Ferguson (who believes the IFR to be just under 1%, perhaps 0.8-0.9%) to Johan Giesecke who maintains that it is nearer 0.1%, or one in a thousand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrL9QKGQrWk

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7642
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:28:39 PM   
durnedwolf

Well if we are trying to do the herd immunity thing then we should be opening in dibs and drabs (as we appear to be doing). It looks like our medical system is not overwhelmed and the curve looks pretty flat to me. I don't see any credible news about building immunity from plasma yet, and no one seems to have a "cure." Heck - they are still trying to ramp up the ability to do testing.

But holy bat-crap, batman! A lot of people have passed on to the other side from this virus.

We are living in a historic moment. It gives me a new viewpoint for history as a learning subject.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7643
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:29:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

lockdown effects in the Third World are much worse. TB treatment, HIV treatment, vaccines...all are essentially running on empty. 6000 people died from measles in the Democratic Republic of the Congo last year and now they are essentially out of vaccine. We almost had polio eliminated from the planet...now it will take years to make up lost ground. There are millions in Africa with HIV. Maybe hundreds of millions with TB around the world. Then you have crop failures, starvation, wars..etc.

When the First World countries shut down...the **** rolls down hill.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/14/2020 6:30:12 PM >

Post #: 7644
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:32:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
We almost had polio eliminated from the planet...now it will take years to make up lost ground.

That probably makes Bill Gates mad, as it is his cause celeb I believe.

Post #: 7645
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:47:49 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

On the other hand, you have to include the massive reduction in human suffering from not doing colonoscopy preps.

Not to mention the part where they person can now have a doctor state that on such and such a day, the person was examined and was found not to be full of $hit. Pictures as well could be used.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 7646
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:49:40 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

lockdown effects in the Third World are much worse. TB treatment, HIV treatment, vaccines...all are essentially running on empty. 6000 people died from measles in the Democratic Republic of the Congo last year and now they are essentially out of vaccine. We almost had polio eliminated from the planet...now it will take years to make up lost ground. There are millions in Africa with HIV. Maybe hundreds of millions with TB around the world. Then you have crop failures, starvation, wars..etc.

When the First World countries shut down...the **** rolls down hill.

Not only does it roll downhill, it picks up speed.

― Julia Child

Post #: 7647
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:52:34 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

Many congratulations, Eric!

Yes, many congratulations!

Now you can tell your wife to take some good, long pees!

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 7648
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 6:59:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

We almost had polio eliminated from the planet...now it will take years to make up lost ground.

The Gates Foundation is funding a malaria vaccine but they might well be helping with polio too.
That probably makes Bill Gates mad, as it is his cause celeb I believe.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7649
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 7:13:36 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Lokasenna, we must be looking at different charts and information.

The IHME increase was yesterday. Georgia's projected toll dropped from 3,500 to 2,000 (and one day earlier it was at 4,900). Clearly, IHME doesn't foresee problems with the easing in Georgia. Ditto many other states, but not all.

As for the RT rates, there's nothing on any of the charts I see indicating a margin of error for Ro at or above 1.0 for Georgia. We must be looking at different charts.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

The press and those medically and/or politically opposed to re-opening predicted surges in new cases and morality when shelter-in-place ended in some states. But the Ro rates remain level or close thereto, including: Colorado, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Montana, Mississippi, Kansas and Idaho (source: https://rt.live/). The rates in each of those states is below 1.0, meaning the pandemic continues to decline. It's possible that the wheels may come off here or there, but to this point sky-is-falling assertions have been wrong.

It hasn't been a disaster, no.

But the jump in IHME modeled fatalities (up another 10k today, to 147k by August 4th) is a direct result of the easing of countermeasures.

On the very day that the first gaggle of states announced they were going to end their lockdowns early, the IHME updated their numbers - from ~70K to >100K. That's a pretty big effect. We'll pass 100K confirmed dead in about another week.

The day I was referring to was weeks ago, not yesterday.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7650
Page:   <<   < prev  253 254 [255] 256 257   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  253 254 [255] 256 257   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI