Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about modding fuel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Question about modding fuel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about modding fuel - 5/15/2020 8:33:43 PM   
Zhuikin

Does someone have any experience with changing the resource(s) used as fuel - does i mess with the AI?

Will bad things (aka starving) happen to the AI, if i make the fuel mineral instead of gas (it would have to go mine planets instead of gas-mining giants, to get it's fuel.)
I expect the regular economy to work out just fine - the AI tends to mine everything anyway.
But will they ships actually go to proper refueling places? Will it deploy resupply ships correctly?
Post #: 1
RE: Question about modding fuel - 5/16/2020 4:35:15 AM   
Shogouki

Not sure. I know I've seen people in the past talk about using heavy metals for fission but I don't know if it worked. Have you used Sabranan's modding tool before?

(in reply to Zhuikin)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about modding fuel - 5/16/2020 5:14:17 AM   
Zhuikin

I seen the tool. Didnt't need it for the small changes i did to my game - not planning on making a big modpack or anything, just tweaked a couple of things to my liking. And the files aren't THAT hard to read.

The tool helps with editing, but it won't answer the question of how the Game will deal with the whole thing.

I kinda thought, that someone tried it before, because yeah Heavy Elements for fission kinda makes sense. And it's an easy change too, so the fact that none of the mods i seen do it, kinda makes me suspicious.
But i'll just try and risk the (possible) frustration of learning half way through a playthrough, that the AI is out of fuel.

I run some tests with the editor, and believe to have figured it out, mostly.

The good news - the AI seems to "understand" modded fuel just fine.
The bad news tho - i haven't considered, that the extraction rates for minerals are a low lower, than for gases, making balancing a mixed fuel economy difficult (since fuel cells do not differentiate...);
Not worth the hassle, for what is mostly a cosmetic thing.

< Message edited by Zhuikin -- 5/16/2020 7:30:52 AM >

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about modding fuel - 5/16/2020 9:03:59 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

You could probably solve that by making reactors more efficient so you use less overall but that's a lot of extra work for as you say a cosmetic change.

(in reply to Zhuikin)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about modding fuel - 5/16/2020 9:37:50 AM   
Zhuikin

Yeah i considered more efficient reactors, but that would also make they range very high, since i would basically put higher density fuel into the same (size) fuel cells.

I think i will just move Caslon from regular to frozen Gas giants and call it done; (So it's not as common, to see and mine both fuels from the same place and perhaps a bit more likely, for fuel to become a "geo"-strategic choice).

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about modding fuel - 5/16/2020 10:56:25 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

You could get around that by reducing fuel cell capacity but again a lot of work for a cosmetic change.

(in reply to Zhuikin)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about modding fuel - 5/16/2020 11:27:36 PM   
Zhuikin

Redusing fuel cell size would kill the range of Hydrogen engines tho.
The point isn't to make all fuels mineral, but rather to make 2 actually different fuels, instead of the vanilla system where they are just clones with different names.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Question about modding fuel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI