Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

cost of components/ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> cost of components/ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
cost of components/ships - 5/16/2020 10:26:23 AM   
CariadocThorne

How does the game calculate the cost of a ship? I can't see any thing except the materials needed to build each component.

Am I correct in assuming that the game works out the total amount of materials needed to build all the components in the ship, then multiplies them by the cost of the materials?

If so, increasing the quantity of materials used for each component should increase the cost of the ship corespondingly. Will it also increase the maintenance cost?
Post #: 1
RE: cost of components/ships - 5/16/2020 2:25:37 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: CariadocThorne

How does the game calculate the cost of a ship? I can't see any thing except the materials needed to build each component.

Am I correct in assuming that the game works out the total amount of materials needed to build all the components in the ship, then multiplies them by the cost of the materials?

If so, increasing the quantity of materials used for each component should increase the cost of the ship corespondingly. Will it also increase the maintenance cost?

Correct on all accounts.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to CariadocThorne)
Post #: 2
RE: cost of components/ships - 5/16/2020 5:20:37 PM   
CariadocThorne

Thanks!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 3
RE: cost of components/ships - 5/17/2020 1:12:07 AM   
Zhuikin

It's not that simple tho.

I mean... this is, at large, how i understand the system as well, but there must be additional factors involved.

Just for example, i just went into one of may saves and checked the cost and resources of a random ship. Here's what it comes out to:
Build cost of: 4173
Maintenance: 1268
(Maintenance at least seems to always come out as 30-ish % of the build cost. There is fluctuation, but it's probably just rounding)

Sum of resource costs at current market: 414.6
(assuming maximum(?) 3.3 per resource, comes out with 1389, close but still not a hit)

PS: My empire has 3% maintenance savings, not sure at which point these are applied (preview in construction ship? List of Existing Ships? Final Budget?), but 3% isn't that big of a difference.

< Message edited by Zhuikin -- 5/17/2020 1:16:22 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: cost of components/ships - 5/17/2020 4:54:09 PM   
CariadocThorne

Ok, you've inspired me to do some experimentation.

I started a new game, and immediately added a new design with 100 basic reactors and nothing else. Projected ship cost was 12,503, maintenance cost 5,161.

Next, I multiplied the number of each material in a reactor by 10, started another new game with the same settings, and added a new design with 100 reactors and nothing else. Projected ship cost was 125,025, so increased in proportion, but the maintenance cost was 29,271, so increased less than 6 times, rather than the 10x increase I expected.

I'm not sure why the maintenance cost didn't increase as much as expected, but this hopefully bodes well for my plans, as I intend to increase ship construction costs around 4-5x, but maintenance costs by somewhat less (hopefully around 3x), to create a lower ship-count game where each ship really matters and battles are more likely to be between a handful of ships, rather than dozens, and saving ships from a losing battle, or killing most of the attacking fleet, is at least a minor victory.

(in reply to Zhuikin)
Post #: 5
RE: cost of components/ships - 5/17/2020 11:02:44 PM   
Zhuikin

Interesting. Have you checked what the current prices of the resources were in both games?

Post #: 6
RE: cost of components/ships - 5/18/2020 7:58:36 AM   
CariadocThorne

Start of a new game, all 3 resources involved were at 0.8

(in reply to Zhuikin)
Post #: 7
RE: cost of components/ships - 12/15/2020 5:34:31 PM   
arvcran2

Something is not adding up here ... I have calculated all materials needed to manufacture components for a medium freighter and rated the units at market price all at .8 which was simple.

This yielded 233.6 total cost.

The design screen however shows a purchase cost of 1217.

So 983.4 credits extra to purchase; could this be Manufacturing costs, or maybe hull costs? The actual purchase cost in this case is 421% higher than the cost of the materials.

Furthermore, each component has a a cost described beside the size in the component guide. These are apparently in K units. but are far greater than the affected cost differential when adding or subtracting the component amount.

< Message edited by arvcran2 -- 12/16/2020 1:30:07 PM >

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> cost of components/ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI