Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 11:30:19 AM   
SamSlitherine

Hi Guys,

The team have been working hard as usual taking your feedback on. There are lots of additions and fixes in this beta so check the changelog out!

Please download the patch from here

For Steam

Right click on the game and select "Properties". Select the “Betas” tab. The Beta tag "Beta - Public Beta" will appear in the Beta dropdown list. Select it and close the Properties window. Steam should now update the game to the beta version. If the update does not start automatically, launch the game to force the update process or 'verify integrity of game files' from the 'Local Files' tab.

For GOG

Click the 'More' tab next to the 'Play' button - go to 'Settings', enable the Beta Channels and select the Beta channel from the channel dropdown.

Happy Gaming!

< Message edited by AlbertoC -- 11/17/2020 10:50:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 11:44:09 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Fabulous, thanks!

(in reply to SamSlitherine)
Post #: 2
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 11:46:07 AM   
fritzfarlig

thanks where can we see the changelog

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 3
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 11:56:11 AM   
SamSlitherine

Apologies! I thought i had attached it!

See below :)

v1.12.05 Beta

New features
1. Added new factor used in scoring retreat and displacement move hexes - distance to enemy hexes (higher is better).
2. Terrain defensive bonus will now be used in scoring retreat and displacement move hexes along man-made fortifications. Airbases will not like terrain in which they cannot operate.
3. Adjusted weights of various factors used when scoring retreat and displacement move hexes. Scoring system was introduced in 1.12.03, replacing system described in 1.12.02. See Appendix A for factors and their weights.
4. Faster (nominal MP of 25 or more) combat units will no longer displace at greater distance than slower combat units. Minimum displacement move range will be 3 hexes for combat units, and 5 hexes for non-combat units. Maximum displacement move range will be 9 hexes for combat units, and 15 hexes for non-combat units.
5. It will be now possible to voluntarily relocate Military District and Defense Zone HQs starting 9/41, not 10/41.
6. Moving units will now capture between 0.5% and 10% of automatically displaced unit's resources. Previously they could capture between 0.05% and 3%.
7. Non-combat units displaced after combat will be listed on battle report as routed, not retreated.
8. Added "Fort held" level 1 combat message displayed when fort prevents defender's retreat, showing bonus fort removal.
9. Support units (including those attached to cities), HQs, air bases, and FBD/NKPS units will undergo the same procedure of checking surrender (which may result in morale drops, and extra attrition), as on-map combat units. Previously they would be either excluded completely, or suffered reduced penalties.

Bug fixes
1. Fixed a bug where scoring retreat and displacement move hexes was not calculating some of the scores correctly.
2. Fixed a bug where retreat and displacement move MP cost was not calculated correctly, affecting scoring.
3. Fixed multiple bugs related to automated rail repair (failing to deploy units, failing to repair hexes).
4. Fixed a bug where partisan attack battle reports were erased before the Soviet player had the chance to see them.
5. Fixed a bug when it was possible to transfer Axis air groups to an air base of different nationality.
6. Fixed a bug where HQ units were unable to retreat or displace through hexes in enemy ZOC.
7. Fixed a bug where penalty for being on refit to construction value was applied to units treated as being on refit permanently.
8. Fixed a bug where penalty for being in reserve to construction, engineer, and artillery value was applied to combat units (and support units attached to them) on refit.
9. Fixed a bug where supply status wasn't reset correctly for rebuilt units.
10. Fixed a bug where support units attached to cities were treated as being permanently in supply for the purposes of morale recovery.

Sam

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fritzfarlig)
Post #: 4
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 1:36:18 PM   
wkuh

Thanks.

(in reply to SamSlitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 4:04:26 PM   
Novaliz

I am currently in a game in round 6. Is it safe to play further with my current savegame?

(in reply to wkuh)
Post #: 6
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 4:29:36 PM   
king171717

awesome thanks!

(in reply to Novaliz)
Post #: 7
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 4:32:38 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Novaliz

I am currently in a game in round 6. Is it safe to play further with my current savegame?

Patches have always been backward compatible so should be fine.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to Novaliz)
Post #: 8
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 5:51:04 PM   
Haspen

Fantastic job! Thank you!
I thought the 1.12.04 version was the last beta but no :)
Thank you for this incredible 'follow-up' despite WITE v2.0!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 9
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/11/2020 8:06:55 PM   
Telemecus

I thought we had argued Bug #5 down to being a feature http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4790335

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haspen
I thought the 1.12.04 version was the last beta but no :)

Given that novel bugs are appearing in v1.12 still (e.g https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4809464 ) either there will be more patches or we will forever be left with a buggy final version for both official and beta releases.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 5/11/2020 8:16:14 PM >

(in reply to Haspen)
Post #: 10
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/15/2020 11:53:30 PM   
Rick402

so this is still an issue? cause i dont see a bug fix for it? or what?

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 11
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/16/2020 2:56:35 PM   
GPT55

I observed a retreat where the 8=7 German infantry division retreated one hex NW to an out-of-supply hex instead of SW towards supply. Of course the SW path would require retreating 2 hexes. I see from the Appendix A that "retreat range" and "retreat MP cost" get the highest weight in the retreat scoring which probably explains the NW retreat preference. However, it seems like retreating into and out-of-supply hex should be avoided with high priority.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rick402)
Post #: 12
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/16/2020 4:51:20 PM   
chaos45

The friendly hexes were already max stacked is why it retreated to the friendly NW hex.

(in reply to GPT55)
Post #: 13
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/16/2020 8:18:57 PM   
MaB1708

Excellent, but one question I have not been able to answer even after a long search: all the information in the turn supply detail window, where is that documented? Even the percentages in the middle section remain unclear.
Cheers,
Marv

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 14
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/17/2020 8:21:58 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: petertodd
I observed a retreat where the 8=7 German infantry division retreated one hex NW to an out-of-supply hex instead of SW towards supply. Of course the SW path would require retreating 2 hexes. I see from the Appendix A that "retreat range" and "retreat MP cost" get the highest weight in the retreat scoring which probably explains the NW retreat preference. However, it seems like retreating into and out-of-supply hex should be avoided with high priority.

That result is caused by forcing retreats to be as short as possible (if 1-hex retreat is possible it will always be chosen over longer distance retreat). It's not a problem to alter this (it had been for a while during development), but it will be working differently than retreats have been working in this game from the start. Routs are more flexible in this matter.

(in reply to GPT55)
Post #: 15
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/17/2020 8:22:59 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaB1708

Excellent, but one question I have not been able to answer even after a long search: all the information in the turn supply detail window, where is that documented? Even the percentages in the middle section remain unclear.
Cheers,
Marv

I have posted images with text overlays what those values mean a few times on this forum (for older version, and for current version). Maybe someone will help you find them :)

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 16
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/17/2020 8:47:06 PM   
thedoctorking

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: petertodd

That result is caused by forcing retreats to be as short as possible (if 1-hex retreat is possible it will always be chosen over longer distance retreat). It's not a problem to alter this (it had been for a while during development), but it will be working differently than retreats have been working in this game from the start. Routs are more flexible in this matter.

I am in favor of prioritizing retreat towards your source of supply over shorter retreat. I can't imagine that a unit, having escaped a pocket, would voluntarily retreat back into the pocket and away from friendly troops under any circumstances. Being able to do the gamey move of not taking the hex that the escaping unit has abandoned in order to be able to force it to retreat to the hex it just fled is one of the features of this game I appreciate the least.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 17
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/17/2020 10:10:49 PM   
BrianG

quote:

am in favor of prioritizing retreat towards your source of supply over shorter retreat. I can't imagine that a unit, having escaped a pocket, would voluntarily retreat back into the pocket and away from friendly troops under any circumstances. Being able to do the gamey move of not taking the hex that the escaping unit has abandoned in order to be able to force it to retreat to the hex it just fled is one of the features of this game I appreciate the least.

since its a game retreat priority should be for troops to survive. Towards supply should be main goal over hex distance. Old way was first move was to a hex not in zoc of enemy. That should be number 1, and then supply 2 (sounds like the old rule). This 1 hex rule favors the russians as they can more easily 3 stack the front line.

If first move (1 hex) choice is all zoc, then next should be closet to supply

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 18
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/17/2020 10:17:26 PM   
chaos45

It depends on how you look at it...maybe the roads are clogged with elements of the other divisions and thus a retreat in that direction is impossible. (because the other retreat hexes are already max stacked)

The game is very linear in the IGUGO fashion but in a real combat situation is a ton of variables that could affect where a unit can retreat. Also as a game commander you really have a god like view of the battlefield that commanders at all levels in the actual events rarely had. A lot of times esp in the middle of major attacks commanders would even know where their men were, even in WW2.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 19
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 10:12:22 AM   
MaXXOltt

quote:

Support units (including those attached to cities), HQs, air bases, and FBD/NKPS units will undergo the same procedure of checking surrender

But the HQ leaders still immortal??? It looks strange when entire HQ unit destroyed or surrendered, but HQ leader escaped. In the real history many of soviet and german generals were killed or captured.
The Soviet side has a large list of generals but not many HQs, especially after disbanding the rifle corps...

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 20
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 10:36:10 AM   
Telemecus

Leaders have never been immortal - killed in action leaders are normal in WitE1 since the earliest patches.

(in reply to MaXXOltt)
Post #: 21
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 10:51:20 AM   
MaXXOltt

quote:

Leaders have never been immortal - killed in action leaders are normal in WitE1 since the earliest patches.

Hmmm, I remember they were killed during combat phase in earlier versions, prior to 1.08, and it happend quite often, but since 1.08 it never happened. It happend couple of times during logistic phase, but never again in combat...
I'm puzzled

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 22
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 10:56:40 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaXXOltt

quote:

Hmmm, I remember they were killed during combat phase in earlier versions, prior to 1.08, and it happend quite often, but since 1.08 it never happened. It happend couple of times during logistic phase, but never again in combat...
I'm puzzled

that is true - I remember the pop ups you could get when is said X has been killed

They did change the formulas for in turn deaths, I think at the same time as they changed the rules to prevent HQ bombing. I think the thought is the ones that happen during the logistics phase are more than enough to represent deaths you should have.

(in reply to MaXXOltt)
Post #: 23
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 11:06:39 AM   
MaXXOltt

quote:

They did change the formulas for in turn deaths, I think at the same time as they changed the rules to prevent HQ bombing
Yes, as I remember it was introduced in 1.08
quote:

I think the thought is the ones that happen during the logistics phase are more than enough to represent deaths you should have.

I persanally want more,but of course, if most gamers agree with the current death rate of leaders, then I think there is no need to change anything. And I think that most players do not experience any problems with the current state of leaders fate.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 24
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 11:11:14 AM   
Telemecus

There might be a fair debate of whether the death rate should be upped. German Generals for example do not go west, even when they historically did. There is no withdrawal schedule for leaders!

Nevertheless you can still see some complaining about losing leaders in v1.11 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4350830

(in reply to MaXXOltt)
Post #: 25
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 11:19:05 AM   
MaXXOltt

I think that if everyone is happy - then there isn’t much point in the discussions - we won’t load the developers with unnecessary work.
Vox populi...

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 26
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 2:55:53 PM   
morvael

It's hard to balance that formula, perhaps it should have some hard caps rather than just plain chance of happening. Make it slightly too big, and no famous Soviet general will survive the war. I still remember it, having been on recieving end.
Chance is now very very low, and this seems preferred by players, even when not enough generals bite the dust.

(in reply to MaXXOltt)
Post #: 27
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 3:12:28 PM   
joelmar

I think the problem is more acute for Soviets and I can understand frustration in loosing some of the few Soviet really good generals and the long term effects on the game. I agree it's probably best to leave it as it is.

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 28
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 4:23:09 PM   
MaB1708

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaB1708

Cheers,
Marv

I have posted images with text overlays what those values mean a few times on this forum (for older version, and for current version). Maybe someone will help you find them :)

Fantastic, looking forward to someone who helps me with that. Search function obvioulsy did not and hourlong browsing of threads with "supply" "turn supply" "supply detail" and whatnot has not helped. Yes there is some info here and there, particularly on the new layout (if anyone else is looking for that, its in the patchnotes for 1.12.00, App. A(it might slip your attention if you do not spend every day with this simulation)). All other information on the turn supply detail window I have an IDEA about the most obvious ones and for the rest I am currently picking info bit by bit (like some of the numbers in parenthesis). Not always an easy task as these might have changed over the years too.

So if someone is aware of the overlays Morvael mentioned or any other overview of the CURRENT version of the Unit Supply detail window I would be thankfull to have a look.

I have tried hard to get all the info on this - and other - matters for the last days (and nights), doing my own writeup of important stuff, reading dozens of threads here and on Steam. The impression that I am just to lazy to look for info is wrong so please stand back from any patronizing attitude.

Cheers and thanks for all your incredible contributions Morvael. I am aware of them but have not been able so far to use them. Tried several times to tame this sim that I own for years. This time I am serious :-)

< Message edited by MaB1708 -- 5/18/2020 4:24:39 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 29
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 - 5/18/2020 6:11:32 PM   
eskuche

See here a few posts down:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4760396

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Open Beta 1.12.05 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI