Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 - 5/20/2020 10:17:26 PM   
christenberryd

So, how do you take Singapore? I'm playing a mostly historical game as Japan against Allied AI.

1. What is the best way to take Singapore without being too gamey? In my first run through, I had the entire 25th army cross over and was worried afterwards about a counteroffensive and having the Brits chase me back up the penninsula! Japanese troops were well rested and had army HQ with them. Is it acceptable to have some lead units cross, then follow up with more a day later to avoid that huge disruption hit? Are more troops than historical needed, by sending in one of the non-restricted divisions? I also have southern army HQ hanging out in Johore Baru (sp?) to add HQ bonus.

2. Should DEI be invaded or just wait, as the oil isn't going anywhere according to one post I read?

3. Out of the 5 non-restricted divisions, they are at or moving to: Singapore, Burma, DEI. I wonder where to send the other 2 divisions ... does that extra firepower take out Bataan quickly and so now a lot of troops free up to tackle Singapore (supporting 25th army) and whatever the next phase is of the Japanese advance? (more Burma, push into south pacific/Port Moresby/Nomeau?? Or put 1-2 of those divs into Singapore ... where 1 div doesn't seem make much difference?

Thanks!
Dave

Post #: 1
RE: Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 - 5/20/2020 10:31:56 PM   
GetAssista

1. Historically you would bring 3+ divisions coming down the Malaya from their Kota Bharu landings and Singora RR, corralling the Allies into Singers. It is always better to cross the causeway all at once rather than piecemeal. This shock attack is meant to be brutal. You can recover disruption pretty fast. But if your crossing force turns out weak and ends up getting a bloody nose you cannot recover disabled/destroyed squads fast enough and get a major hit to your offensive capabilities in the vicinity.

2. You can take some time and move gradually, especially since hasty amphibious landings can be met with surface action and it will not be pretty. But be advised that a competent player will use this time wisely, and you will end up knocking into higher forts in major locations guarded by the units that recovered their initial disablements. Shifting around of allied forces is to be expected. Fortress Palembang is not a walk in the park hehe

3. There is more than 5 unrestricted ID available in Stock 1, you should also count the ones broken into regiments at start, they can (and should) be recombined. The unrestricted IDs at start are 2,4,5,16,18,21,33,38,55,56,Guards.
Bataan is never a quick work. And it needs not be because Luzon does not hold vital resources for Japan. So once you've neutralized aerial threat from Luzon, you can take all the time you want, taking into account potential fort building of course.

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 5/20/2020 10:47:57 PM >

(in reply to christenberryd)
Post #: 2
RE: Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 - 5/20/2020 10:41:28 PM   
RangerJoe

Once you have taken supply production in Manila, just bomb/bombard the enemy into submission for the rest of Luzon. Just make sure that you keep subs from bringing in supplies. Keep bombing the airfields to keep the fort production down as well as destroying any supply stocks. If you can have units at Clark, it keeps any Manila defenders from retreating there.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 3
RE: Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 - 5/21/2020 8:50:28 PM   
christenberryd

Thanks, guess I'll stay more historical and let the Bataan siege just age.

I'll have to try and see if airfield bombing has less AA than port bombing ... but nice way to keep engineers busy! And burn supply.

Thanks,
Dave

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 - 5/21/2020 9:27:20 PM   
pontiouspilot

Before you ever cross the strait you must have sealed it off from re-supply from day 1. You must also start inflicting damage by air early on so Singapore can't build it's forts.

The Japanese player must have rebuilt it's units into full divisions. Japan must have every combat engineer they can find. In 8-9 games as Allies I have only lost Singapore twice. The second time was mid-june '42 and my opponent says he trashed 9-10 IJA divisions to get get the job done.

This is a topic that has been widely discussed by many shrewder than me...do a search for more info.

(in reply to christenberryd)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Singapore and playing Japan Feb 42 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI