Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[WAD] Strange performance, wild changes in course and speed of SSBN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD] Strange performance, wild changes in course and speed of SSBN Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[WAD] Strange performance, wild changes in course and s... - 5/22/2020 1:15:36 PM   
charlee22009

It seems... my Delta-IV SSBN is exhibiting some weird behavior?
I don't have it set to auto-avoid contact, or anything else in the doctrine settings....

Yet it won't maintain the 5 knots assigned 'creep' speed or the constant course I have set. It keeps speeding up to 12 plus knots and turning. Then turning back to the original course and speed.

I'm running the latest beta (.2) and I thought it might have something to do with the update.
First campaign mission from the silent service.

It's the Delta IV K117

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by apache85 -- 5/26/2020 4:17:04 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/22/2020 9:45:10 PM   
c3k

Is it assigned to a mission?

I have found that a mission will override a manual course/speed.

(in reply to charlee22009)
Post #: 2
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 12:51:16 AM   
ultradave

It's not on a mission.

I found that when turning Automatic Evasion to No, instead of Yes, it returned to the plotted course, but I had to manually reset speed to Creep. Evading the 2 contact?

Settings for both subs are the same I think so I'm not sure why one is behaving that way and not the other.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 3
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 1:02:43 AM   
AndrewJ

The problem is the presence of the nearby Krivak contact.

The Delta is inside the weapon range of the Krivak's SS-N-14. So the Delta goes 'Engaged Defensive', and turns away. The moment it gets outside the weapon range it turns onto its plotted course. This takes it inside the weapon range again, so it goes 'Engaged Defensive' once more, and turns away again. Repeat ad infinitum...

This is strange, because your Delta has Avoid Contact set to 'Inherited No', so I would not have expected it to be doing this. If I manually change it to 'No' just for the Delta it doesn't help, and the problem remains.

However, the Automatic Evasion setting is 'Inherited Yes', and if you change it to 'No', then the sub starts following your course.

So I guess SSBNs consider the simple presence of a ship with ASW weapons to be an 'attack', rather than needing an actual weapon in the water to trigger their evasion routine.

Edit: ultradave = ultraninja!

< Message edited by AndrewJ -- 5/23/2020 1:03:39 AM >

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 4
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 1:48:45 PM   
charlee22009

Wow, thank you for your reply.

I thought this was *very* weird. I was under the impression that ‘automatic evasion’ was only for when units were defending against weapons.

Like aircraft automatically maneuvering to defeat oncoming missiles... or subs maneuvering aggressively when attacked by a torpedo.

No weapons had been launched by this point in the scenario... and so just being within weapons range of an enemy caused my delta to start maneuvering?

In CMO... units are within weapons range of each other all the time, but that *should not* cause the unit or submarine to start maneuvering aggressively, for no reason. Airplanes, ships, subs, none of them.

When I played the scen the delta speeding up caused it to get detected at range and destroyed by ASROC or a helicopter-dropped weapon. This wouldn’t have happened if it maintained the creep speed I assigned to it...

This was on the .2 beta so maybe I thought that had something to do with it.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 5
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 3:08:28 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

Edit: ultradave = ultraninja!

My nickname is a reference to running ultra marathons. It's something I used to do prior to being diagnosed with lymphoma and going through chemo. I'm fine, in remission, but I won't be doing any more of those. Just can't get in that kind of shape these days. Plus I find that somehow, I've become old.

Ninja I assume for smoking that out?

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 6
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 5:18:03 PM   
AndrewJ

Ninja for quickly getting the answer typed in while I was way too slow.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ninja%27d

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 7
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 5:21:25 PM   
Dimitris

Yes, SSBNs are extra-conservative in trying to avoid anything non-friendly in their vicinity. This is by design.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 8
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/23/2020 8:57:01 PM   
charlee22009

Thank you

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 9
RE: Strange performance, wild changes in course and spe... - 5/24/2020 12:32:04 AM   
thewood1

The conservative nature of SSBNs is mentioned in the manual, FAQ, or in one of the recent changes notes. I remember reading it at the time.

(in reply to charlee22009)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD] Strange performance, wild changes in course and speed of SSBN Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI