Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (Spoilers))

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (Spoilers)) Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/27/2020 11:35:18 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

OK, late March attack on Palembang.

Sending the KB off to sink the Boise was probably a mistake, I think it cost me 5-10 days.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 361
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/27/2020 11:52:00 PM   
Lowpe

Armored Q ship variant....glad I took it down with Cruisers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 362
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/27/2020 11:57:29 PM   
Andy Mac

Minefields covered by CD Guns and Land based Air and you managed to get through it all with minimal casualties well done

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 363
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/28/2020 12:12:38 AM   
Lowpe

I have sunk 5 of these ships so far...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 364
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/28/2020 12:15:31 AM   
Lowpe

The cripples heading back...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 365
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/28/2020 11:24:47 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Minefields covered by CD Guns and Land based Air and you managed to get through it all with minimal casualties well done

I almost blundered in with only land based air coverage from Singers. My invasion task force got swamped by swordfish one hex from Singers, and I decided to await the arrival of Carrier Division 2. I really needed Carrier Division 1 too, but it got savaged a bit by beaufighters off Java.

Allied air forces from Singers retreated to Singkep for whatever reason, where I destroyed them eventually. If you put mines, some AA and CD guns there, it would make for a more difficult battle slowing down Japan even more. Maybe a half dozen 75mm guns... or reduce the runways to 0.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/29/2020 1:09:56 PM >

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 366
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/28/2020 1:32:22 PM   
Lowpe

Japan has lost 3 destroyers, 1 sub, and a lot of merchant shipping.

But, with Palembang invaded, we are finally reaching the conclusion of our perimeter setup, a stage of the game I really don't like. We still have to clean up Luzon, and a fresh division from Honshu has just been bought out and is being sent there. After Luzon, Mindanao needs taking.

In the SRA, 5 divisions are prepping for Java, 3 are at Palembang, and the last is resting.

Burma is being looked at, and the Allies have a strong concentration at Moulmein. An amphibious landing might be attempted after securing Java.

I kind of rushed thru the last week or more, focusing on Palembang pretty much. Playing catch up now getting troops, shipping, and a perimeter search established.

When I started this game, I figured that there was only a 50% chance of getting here. If I can take Java, a few bases around Rabaul, clean up the Philippines, Rangoon, and perhaps Magwe...no plans on China, just establishing a perimeter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 367
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/28/2020 10:24:45 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

that is a fast float fighter

and Palembang should now fall quickly

Forts are decent I bet, and it is nasty terrain. Now thinking I will prioritize taking it and heading south to Oosthaven and entering Java from there. Allied Air strength is pretty nasty.

120mm cd guns at Palembang were nasty, not sure I will land a 2nd wave, although I am there now without AA or HQ.

Ah, only 1 AUS Bde … no, with 3 ID's intact and an ARM and ENG Bde you should be fine. It will cost you, but you should be able to take it.

In the Nasty, Nasty version, Andy sneaks in another 2 AUS Bde's and an ENG unit unless you get there early. You can still take it, but the odds of heavy damage go way up.

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 368
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/28/2020 10:25:36 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Good player, far above the average AI player in terms of skill. Makes a difference. And don't forget he brought the bulk of the KB to the DEI, not PH to start.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 5/28/2020 10:35:37 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 369
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 1:00:34 PM   
Lowpe

Palembang +1

A quiet day, an xak burns up from the Palembang invasion, but the rest retreat to Singers and safety. The troops at Palembang aren't bombed, and they recover nicely while the Allied air force at Palembang relocates somewhere along the rail line.

Tarakan invasion loading. Paratroops moving to Singers for Java. Shipping arriving at Singers (massive amounts of troop transports).

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 370
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 1:06:33 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I can just imagine how this would had ended without a fully SRA-committed KB; from day 1

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 371
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 2:56:18 PM   
Lowpe

I got to thinking in WITPQS AAR, that the A6M8 isn't really a bad plane. Yeah, it isn't a great plane either, but it can be had really early thanks to the upgrade path, and for late 42, 43 it is arguably the best Japan can do for a CV fighter. So, its range sucks, but you just have to adapt your tactics a bit.

So, with that in mind, and having never really used the plane before, I decided to bounce the 5 repaired factories that were researching the A6M5 all the way up to the M8. I will boost Ha33 engine production to get the bonus, for 10 points of research a day. That is 3 months acceleration a month and I need about 32 months of acceleration to get the plane in 1943. I am getting a late start, since I don't have the engine bonus, but live and learn.

If this experiment works, I might re-assign the priority of the M8 to the fourth most important fighter to r&d early. Sam, Frank, George, M8, late war model would then be my top 5 fighter models.

The timing is what is important, as the Allies start getting frisky in late 42 with their carriers usually, and the M8 might really be a strong counter.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 372
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 2:59:52 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I can just imagine how this would had ended without a fully SRA-committed KB; from day 1

Well, I did send Shokaku and her sis to Pearl, and then to support the Southeast Pacific expansion...

I am debating loading for a Java invasion before the end of the month...with only Carrier division 2 to provide cover. Not sure yet till the recon comes back, but I will start loading troops today.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 373
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 3:26:18 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

Well, I did send Shokaku and her sis to Pearl, and then to support the Southeast Pacific expansion...

I am debating loading for a Java invasion before the end of the month...with only Carrier division 2 to provide cover. Not sure yet till the recon comes back, but I will start loading troops today.

Remember that Lowpe is playing the computer. It doesn't adapt to human player actions but merrily carries on with its selected script. A human Allied player can take advantage of a Japanese focus on the SRA, leaving Pearl Harbor totally alone.

Alfred

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 374
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 4:01:11 PM   
Andy Mac

quote:

I got to thinking in WITPQS AAR, that the A6M8 isn't really a bad plane. Yeah, it isn't a great plane either, but it can be had really early thanks to the upgrade path, and for late 42, 43 it is arguably the best Japan can do for a CV fighter. So, its range sucks, but you just have to adapt your tactics a bit.

So, with that in mind, and having never really used the plane before, I decided to bounce the 5 repaired factories that were researching the A6M5 all the way up to the M8. I will boost Ha33 engine production to get the bonus, for 10 points of research a day. That is 3 months acceleration a month and I need about 32 months of acceleration to get the plane in 1943. I am getting a late start, since I don't have the engine bonus, but live and learn.

If this experiment works, I might re-assign the priority of the M8 to the fourth most important fighter to r&d early. Sam, Frank, George, M8, late war model would then be my top 5 fighter models.

The timing is what is important, as the Allies start getting frisky in late 42 with their carriers usually, and the M8 might really be a strong counter.

Huh a late 45 fighter by 1942 really is that possible ?? = broken !!!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 375
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 4:38:08 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

quote:

Remember that Lowpe is playing the computer. It doesn't adapt to human player actions but merrily carries on with its selected script. A human Allied player can take advantage of a Japanese focus on the SRA, leaving Pearl Harbor totally alone.

Alfred

I would agree on another scenario, even an Ironman... but in this one, the SRA is an ambush, in a trap, in a dark alley. Japan needs every asset for the immediate objective of subduing it.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 376
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 5:25:20 PM   
Alfred

About 7-8 years ago I did the numbers and provided all the other SRA oil fields are captured in a timely manner, Japan can operate without Palembang oil until mid 1943.  After that date there is some limitation on Japanese operational capabilities if Palembang remains in Allied hands.

Alfred

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 377
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 5:59:04 PM   
Andy Mac

Which is why its a must take base for japan whether player or Ai !!!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 378
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 8:44:56 PM   
Lowpe

March 25, 1942

A quiet day again, with a nasty little uber base found on an island of New Guinea.

Grabbed Christmas Island Pacific Ocean today.

Port Moresby looks strong, but I have no plans on trying to grab it. Lightnings there in strength...an AA regiment will arrive at Rabaul which is still 88% damaged.

Troops loading at Singers for the Java invasion...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 379
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 8:47:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Huh a late 45 fighter by 1942 really is that possible ?? = broken !!!

It costs a lot to get it, especially in 1942. Probably too expensive for late 42.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 380
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/29/2020 10:08:50 PM   
Andy Mac

Even so I wish we had never allowed research or Japanese production just breaks the game but cest la vie that's a 10 year old fight I lost !!!

In Ironman not an issue go for it I planned for it.....

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 381
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 5/30/2020 3:49:57 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

About 7-8 years ago I did the numbers and provided all the other SRA oil fields are captured in a timely manner, Japan can operate without Palembang oil until mid 1943.  After that date there is some limitation on Japanese operational capabilities if Palembang remains in Allied hands.

Alfred

Correct. I did the same calc with the same result.

Palembang is pretty important and +1000 days to repair if badly damaged during capture is well outside the window of opportunity, ignoring the +1M supply ...

Pax

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 382
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/3/2020 2:02:58 PM   
Lowpe

Gonna sleep today. Riots seems to be over with the arrival of National Guard.

War will start up again tomorrow hopefully.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 383
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/3/2020 2:13:20 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Gonna sleep today. Riots seems to be over with the arrival of National Guard.

War will start up again tomorrow hopefully.

Were you awake just in case?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 384
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/3/2020 5:34:08 PM   
Bif1961

Did you tell the rioters to keep it down you were trying to fight a war?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 385
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/3/2020 7:41:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Did you tell the rioters to keep it down you were trying to fight a war?

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 386
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/4/2020 1:48:45 PM   
Lowpe

March 26, 1942

Lots of air attacks on Shokaku at Rabaul, where the runways are still damaged. But they are beaten off...PM is a nasty stronghold.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 387
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/6/2020 12:16:53 PM   
Lowpe

March 28, 1942

Allies start ground bombing the troopers at Palembang, but the first attack comes off very nicely after a small cruiser bombardment, and a supplemental invasion bringing more artillery and the Tiger of Malaya (HQc).

Lost a TB to a mine, probably two more minesweepers and another xak to defenses there.

The Java invasion is making a flank speed run to get in before April 1...pretty sure this is pretty darn reckless and I would be better off waiting...

Pre-Invasion action off Palembang (48,91) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

344 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano, Shell hits 3
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 1
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 1
CL Oi, Shell hits 1
CL Kiso, Shell hits 4
CL Tama, Shell hits 2
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 1
CL Yura, Shell hits 4
CL Isuzu
CL Jintsu, Shell hits 1
CL Sendai, Shell hits 2
DD Yakaze
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami, Shell hits 1
DD Wakaba, Shell hits 1
DD Hatsushima
AMC Bankok Maru
xAK Aobasan Maru, Shell hits 3
DD Tachikaze

Japanese ground losses:
66 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Ground combat at Palembang (48,91)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 38145 troops, 411 guns, 319 vehicles, Assault Value = 1358

Defending force 8388 troops, 119 guns, 11 vehicles, Assault Value = 316

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese adjusted assault: 1155

Allied adjusted defense: 487

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
703 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 113 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Vehicles lost 28 (1 destroyed, 27 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1116 casualties reported
Squads: 27 destroyed, 127 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Guns lost 24 (9 destroyed, 15 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Division
2nd Tank Regiment
38th Division
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
2nd Division
25th Army /1
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Hvy.Artillery Rgt /2

Defending units:
Swan Battalion
So.Sumatra Garrison Battalion
Kendari Garrison Battalion
WS KNIL Territory Regiment
27th Australian Brigade
Palembang Coastal Gun Battalion
Palembang Base Force

Night Naval bombardment of Palembang at 48,91 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

21 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Takao

Allied ground losses:
150 casualties reported
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Refinery hits 1
Resources hits 1
Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 14
Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 1

E8N2 Dave acting as spotter for CA Mogami
CA Mogami firing at Palembang
F1M2 Pete acting as spotter for CA Takao
CA Takao firing at Palembang Coastal Gun Battalion
Palembang Coastal Gun Battalion firing at CA Takao

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/6/2020 12:19:48 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 388
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/6/2020 12:23:30 PM   
Lowpe

Most losses over Palembang...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 389
RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (... - 6/6/2020 1:08:04 PM   
Lowpe

March 29, 1942

Palembang and Java Invasions....

I am hoping I have attrited Allied bomber forces with the Palembang invasion....

Ground combat at Palembang (48,91)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 37263 troops, 410 guns, 318 vehicles, Assault Value = 1264

Defending force 7475 troops, 113 guns, 11 vehicles, Assault Value = 200

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 1193

Allied adjusted defense: 340

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
968 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 68 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Vehicles lost 27 (2 destroyed, 25 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
484 casualties reported
Squads: 28 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 11 (10 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Tank Regiment
38th Division
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
5th Division
2nd Division
25th Army
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
Swan Battalion
So.Sumatra Garrison Battalion
Kendari Garrison Battalion
WS KNIL Territory Regiment
27th Australian Brigade
Palembang Coastal Gun Battalion
Palembang Base Force

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/6/2020 1:09:02 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beware the Dorniers! Scen 17 Tier 3 (Lowpe vs AI (Spoilers)) Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI