Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The "clearest" thunderstorm in history?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The "clearest" thunderstorm in history? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The "clearest" thunderstorm in history? - 7/2/2001 11:07:00 PM   
DataKing

Greetings and salutations, I recently downloaded the 5.2 and 5.3 upgrades, and re-started my campaign as the Germans. (Btw, I am glad to see the unit cost bug fixed...I had WAY too many units before :D ). After creating my core and support units (taking quick notice to see that it was a defensive mission vs. the Poles) I went to the deployment screen and began to set up units. I noticed that I had excellent visibility (reaching to the edge of the map when the terrain permitted) so I figured it was a clear day in Poland. Imagine my surprise when I started the battle and found that I was in the middle of a thunderstorm! I was even more surprised to find my visibility range was 255! That's nearly 13 klicks (approximately 8 miles for us Americans). Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else encountered this, or is it just a weird glitch? BTW I did remove my MECH and STEEL files before installing the upgrades. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

"Welcome to the human race." -Snake Pliskin
Post #: 1
- 7/2/2001 11:12:00 PM   
Jeff Norton

European weather can get a little weird at times... No, it seems you did okay. I installed it this weekend for a buddy and did the same. It seems okay, but his hardware is better than mine and FASTER!!! You may want to delete the STEEL.PFT file. It does cause some strange problems... It will be recreated when you start the game. -Jeff

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to DataKing)
Post #: 2
- 7/3/2001 3:04:00 AM   
ddearing

I also had this happen, but playing as the Soviets. The scenario was at 0300 in a thunderstorm. I would suspect that the visibility calculation is unsigned, so we're really seeing a -1 (which is 255 interpreted as a signed number) being generated.

(in reply to DataKing)
Post #: 3
- 9/18/2001 8:33:00 AM   
hnh3_sp

Is this fixed in v7? I am just curious, as it still happens in 6.1 (just had a 255 vis sandstorm )

(in reply to DataKing)
Post #: 4
- 9/18/2001 2:05:00 PM   
skukko

I think you have just had bad luck. I just tested 4 generated battles in differend fronts and this weather value of 6 (-thunderstorm/sandstorm/ anystorm) did randomly set visibility at noon to 6-14 in 7.11. So I'll guess its fixed, or then I had better luck mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to DataKing)
Post #: 5
- 9/18/2001 11:11:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Paul Vebber has said before that weather and visibility have been decoupled. People were complaining that in ver 5 visibilities were too low too often. For now weather seems to effect ground movement rates but not visibility. Ver 7 does not address this. Its cleaned up OOBs and a new mech.exe that eleminates some MC bugs. I have never seen a 255 vis but I suppose its possible.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to DataKing)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The "clearest" thunderstorm in history? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI