Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/5/2020 7:38:19 PM   
willgamer

by a Minor, and right next to my capital

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by willgamer -- 6/5/2020 7:39:49 PM >

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Post #: 1
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/5/2020 8:28:05 PM   
Kamelpov

Jungle map are the worst as youtuber said and it's not a real outnumber as minor nation usually has the same amount of unit than you and use militia like you.(very bad on attack)

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 12:08:55 AM   
Che12

Just explore a little bit. If you find a laser-tank or so you can fight them off. Some minor factions also have very strong units compared to militia from start. So it seems the start has to be lucky, but as it is a lost planet this is the setting, and really better than always the same start situation. The minor regimes dont attack if you block them (at least on beginner). But you have to close the way or they take the land.

(in reply to Kamelpov)
Post #: 3
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 3:10:10 AM   
AttuWatcher

Same thing happened to me. I actually lost my capital on round 4. I just savescummed back to turn 1 and tried again. I'm now on round 30+ and doing fairly well.

(in reply to Che12)
Post #: 4
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 4:47:10 PM   
TheCrazyScot

The worst part about having enemies start that close to you isn't the actual units themselves, as you will be able to clear them out eventually. It's the amount of danger that your city will build up with that many units close to you, which can easily lead to a death spiral with mounting unrest.

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 5
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 6:43:01 PM   
willgamer

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies...

still...

isn't it a bit much to expect a beginner to mitigate this in their first game...

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to TheCrazyScot)
Post #: 6
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 7:47:32 PM   
springel

quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies...

still...

isn't it a bit much to expect a beginner to mitigate this in their first game...

Yeah, it is harsh. Started four games until now, in two I wrecked my economy, in the other two I was overrun after a couple of turns. All on beginner.

I don't mind so much, because I am learning, but it is a pity that all the energy in studying your characters and the lay of the land is wasted so fast.

< Message edited by springel -- 6/6/2020 7:48:19 PM >

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 7
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 9:43:15 PM   
Tester28

I keep encountering this. I'm on my 6th start now and four of those games were lost due to being absurdly outnumbered within the first 10 turns.

I just ran into it now, in fact, just a few minutes ago. In this case, on turn 3 or 4, a force 2x my size ran all through my territory, cutting off my supply lines and entirely surrounding some of my units. I've had no combat, no losses, no disasters, nothing like that. All I've been doing is exploring. This screenshot is from turn 5 or 6. (I really wish it would just say what turn number we're on in the top right.)

This is on the easiest difficulty.
How am I supposed to contest this? What am I missing, what am I supposed to be doing?

I've uploaded it here to imgur because we have this anemic 200kb upload limit. But it's within seven days since my tenth post, apparently, so the system still thinks I'm a bot. I've uploaded a cropped image here too.

J2wwiMJ

Attachment (1)

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 8
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/6/2020 11:15:31 PM   
GodwinW

Did you start with 2 Armies? Doesn't look like it tbh..

In any case, if so, know that other Major Regimes also start with 2 armies so they could rush you I guess.

(in reply to Tester28)
Post #: 9
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 6:46:22 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

Did you start with 2 Armies? Doesn't look like it tbh..

In any case, if so, know that other Major Regimes also start with 2 armies so they could rush you I guess.

From the look of the screenshot above that is not a major regime that has attacked him but either Raiders or a slaver minor faction.

Secondly Major factions are not given extra armies at start. They operate to the same constraints military wise than the player.

I had the same experience as the OP in one game. Key was I refused to deal with the slavers who promptly swept in.

In my current game I have made peace with three minor factions through stratagem cards and concentrated my military to form a secure front line rather than over expanding with insufficient forces. Big difference.

This is a game that rewards a patient build up and use of diplomatic options to buy time.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 10
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 8:20:59 AM   
Palora

Welcome to random generation, if your luck sucks you are in for some trouble. You can have such bad luck that you spawn surrounded by slaver minors each of whom will outnumber your militia forces (if you chose that start) and have DIY tanks and plenty of buggies and an unquenchable desire to surround your forces.

Sadly that's what that is, bad luck. There is no shame in restarting if you don't wanna struggle that early.

When restarting keep an eye on the surviving population, if you see lots of raiders maybe reconsider that planet, chances are high there will be plenty of slavers regimes on that planet.

< Message edited by Palora -- 6/7/2020 8:24:58 AM >

I can't let you destroy the planet, that's where I keep all my stuff!

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 11
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 9:41:30 AM   
GodwinW

Afaik the Major Factions are given extra armies, just like you, if you choose to start with armies (1 or 2).

Also had some, ah.., interesting starts.

I sure hope Vic keeps this in. I do not mind restarting if I do not like it but I would really dislike losing some very interesting starting situations!

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 6/7/2020 9:42:54 AM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 12
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 12:34:27 PM   
Kamelpov

Well usually once you see slavers with tank you try to delay them + it's early so stop exploring turtle game + you got 1200 credit you could recruit at least a regular brigade.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 13
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 2:27:58 PM   
Che12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tester28

I keep encountering this. I'm on my 6th start now and four of those games were lost due to being absurdly outnumbered within the first 10 turns.

I just ran into it now, in fact, just a few minutes ago. In this case, on turn 3 or 4, a force 2x my size ran all through my territory, cutting off my supply lines and entirely surrounding some of my units. I've had no combat, no losses, no disasters, nothing like that. All I've been doing is exploring. This screenshot is from turn 5 or 6. (I really wish it would just say what turn number we're on in the top right.)

This is on the easiest difficulty.
How am I supposed to contest this? What am I missing, what am I supposed to be doing?

I've uploaded it here to imgur because we have this anemic 200kb upload limit. But it's within seven days since my tenth post, apparently, so the system still thinks I'm a bot. I've uploaded a cropped image here too.

J2wwiMJ

Don't expand too quickly. Most times you have a metal and water hex directly next to your city. Place troops on your city and this two hexes, the npcs stop in front of them. As soon as you mine the hexes you can build troops that are strong enough to deal with the minor regimes and secure longer borders.
You also get a strategem card with something like "make peace". This works not only if you are at war but also on minor regimes with "unclear" relations (white borders). As soon as you have peace the borders are fixed and they don't wander through your territory anymore.

< Message edited by Che12 -- 6/7/2020 2:30:20 PM >

(in reply to Tester28)
Post #: 14
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 6:20:44 PM   
Tester28

Now that I've had a successful start, I encountered those same slaver raiders at a point where I actually had armies to defend against them. I was able to defeat them. I think the main thing holding me back was that I didn't realize there was a Recruit cap of 2,000 in place at start. I thought you got 2,000 Recruits a turn, and you just had to make due with that. Once I realized I could call my Zone governor and alter that, I realized I could have staved off those earlier game losses by doing this too.

(in reply to Che12)
Post #: 15
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 6:41:58 PM   
AttuWatcher

I had a similar situation, but I didn't quit. I just reloaded my save from turn 1 and changed my strategy.

I built a defensive line against the raiders, which bought me time to build up my industry. The farmers on the other side also wanted to walk into my territory and take my assets, so I kept my militias parked on top of all my assets like water and mines. Eventually they backed away long enough for me to start pushing the raiders back toward their capital. 50 turns have passed now and I've finally killed the raiders.

These starts are hard but wow are they intense and epic.

(in reply to Tester28)
Post #: 16
RE: beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... - 6/7/2020 6:42:13 PM   
AttuWatcher

*double post

< Message edited by AttuWatcher -- 6/7/2020 6:43:15 PM >

(in reply to Tester28)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> beginner- Outnumbered on turn 2... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI