Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/8/2020 11:24:16 PM   
Laiders

I did explain that at the end of my previous post:

quote:

Positive epochs generally make it easier to get something done by giving you bonus points. Bonus points are a convoluted way of adding positive modifier to something like your research, BP generation or private economy. Bonus points are not added directly to the thing they modify. Instead more bonus points provide a bigger modifier to whatever you are actually generating. They can have other effects such as directly improving your word score.

In short, Bonus points do not add directly on. Instead your PP bonus points will be modifying your PP generation turn to turn. If you dig around in the reports you'll probably be able to find a breakdown of the effect but you really don't need to worry about it to actually play the game.

(in reply to Novaliz)
Post #: 31
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/8/2020 11:38:46 PM   
diamondspider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jdane

Edija, I believe they'll get as much supply as the assets in the city hex can provide.

So for example if you're besieging militia units of a farmer regime sitting on a dome farm, they won't really starve unless you shell the farm into oblivion.
It would be worse if it's a major power, since they would have more assets handy, such as a scavenging operation to provide metal for ammunition and oil for armor.

Edit: I stand corrected. Then even if one where to bomb the dome farm of a minor into cinders, their troops in the capitol will still get food because it's their capitol and the rules they follow.

I used artillery to take out every building except for the GR energy starter one on a Major and after 15 turns, the huge stack of troops inside showed no sign of running low on resources, including ammo for their artillery. So while the manual says it is supposed to work as you describe, it seems not. Note that the AI troop readiness seems to always show ? even when there are dozens of units adjacent to them, so there is no easy way to tell what having no supplies at all is doing to them... I do know they still fought pretty much like fresh troops seemingly.

In sum: your edit seems correct. However, I believe it is not just for the capital, as these guys had already taken another one with similar results. My guess is that AI doesn't follow supply rules, but I've love to be wrong.

< Message edited by diamondspider -- 6/8/2020 11:58:07 PM >

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 32
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/8/2020 11:44:50 PM   
Novaliz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Laiders

I did explain that at the end of my previous post:

quote:

Positive epochs generally make it easier to get something done by giving you bonus points. Bonus points are a convoluted way of adding positive modifier to something like your research, BP generation or private economy. Bonus points are not added directly to the thing they modify. Instead more bonus points provide a bigger modifier to whatever you are actually generating. They can have other effects such as directly improving your word score.

In short, Bonus points do not add directly on. Instead your PP bonus points will be modifying your PP generation turn to turn. If you dig around in the reports you'll probably be able to find a breakdown of the effect but you really don't need to worry about it to actually play the game.

Hey yes, thank you. I have found it in the reports sections. It is modified by a square root :)

(in reply to Laiders)
Post #: 33
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 12:24:59 AM   
GodwinW

quote:

The game offers me a different amount and selection of Symbols in separate games, why?

Because the AI's get first pick.

I really like that actually, makes it so you cannot always pick that specific one.

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 6/9/2020 12:25:12 AM >

(in reply to Edija)
Post #: 34
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 2:31:27 AM   
StrangledJTAC

[STATEMENT RETRACTED DUE TO ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR]

< Message edited by StrangledJTAC -- 6/9/2020 2:35:05 AM >

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 35
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 5:23:53 AM   
Daza99

Why isn't number of workers we have listed on the left side? especially since it is a resource you need to construct things.

Is there somewhere we can find this number?

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 36
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 9:38:13 AM   
Daza99

How many miles is in a single Hex?

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 37
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 10:28:40 AM   
rhah

Hello!

I would like to know how is it possible to accumulate Industrial Points, how is it possible to accumulate Fate Points and how can I change a brigade posture? I changed through a stratagem the posture of a brigade to 'Field Training' in the second round of my current game. Now that I want to start a war I really would like this 'Field Training' posture to go away because it gives morale penalty to my brigade.

On a side note (and because this game shows me how un-intelligent I am) I would like to receive some input about a potential start that would be more helpful in order to learn the game. I am currently playing on a moon with a very scarce population and with only two majors except my own. It seems like a good game start for a newbie. I would really like though to focus on learning well the supply system and how to effectively manage the economy/resources. If someone has an idea would really appreciate it.

Sorry for my many questions & thanks!
Rhah

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 38
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 10:47:07 AM   
diamondspider

Industry Points are generated by structures and you'll automatically accumulate any you don't use. You get Fate Points mostly by passing various milestones like higher civilization level or surviving epochs. You can only change posture on a multi-unit formation. To do so, look in your HQ strat cards, select the OHQ (the unit that commands the multi stack) and play the strat on that. It will only apply that posture to those multiple units in that formation. You'll also not have any formation cards for a while, but you will get them eventually. Setting up new organizations helps with this.

I'd start my first game on beginner level on a normal planet that isn't too challenging (not to hot or cold and maybe breathable air, although solving the breathing problem is as easy as wearing suits for that, which isn't difficult). Once you learn the ropes, you can play on a lava or ice planet or something more challenging.

Half of the fun of the game is learning how to play all of the nuanced dynamics, so the journey really will be the reward much more than winning or losing.

< Message edited by diamondspider -- 6/9/2020 10:50:19 AM >

(in reply to rhah)
Post #: 39
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 11:00:13 AM   
rhah

Thank you diamonspider! I appreciate your response. Agreed regarding the learning curve, winning is the last thing on my mind while getting accustomed to the game mechanics and nuances.

(in reply to diamondspider)
Post #: 40
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 12:15:10 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

You can also remove a posture without replacing it with another one by selecting the formation HQ and opening the Unit Admin menu through the right-side panel, there will a button titled "Remove Posture" near the bottom.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daza99

Why isn't number of workers we have listed on the left side? especially since it is a resource you need to construct things.

Is there somewhere we can find this number?

Workers are tied to your zones rather than the strategic headquarters. You can check the amount in a zone through the leftmost tab in the bottom panel. By default governors will hire and fire workers based on whether they're currently needed, but if they're having trouble recruiting enough you can change the recruitment policy by calling the governor and asking to adjust zone orders.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daza99

How many miles is in a single Hex?

200 kilometers per hex, I don't recall the conversion to miles offhand. If you're curious about the scale for anything else you can check it in manual section 5.16.

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 41
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 12:20:16 PM   
rotor911

Danger points in my zone are raising but I don't see any enemy units on the map. Should I just send militia snooping around my borders? Or could a "city" from another minor zone near my border count as a "unit"? Thanks!

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 42
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 12:45:27 PM   
ramnblam

Can someone please explain to me why more often than not the enemy is getting a massive SHQ bonus in combat when I don't seem to get any bonus at all???

(in reply to rotor911)
Post #: 43
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 1:01:40 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

That's the bonus from leader skill, right? Maybe your SHQ commander has a low High Command skill, but if not, they still have to succeed in a skill roll to apply a bonus, so it's possible they just got a string of bad rolls.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 44
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 1:13:58 PM   
ramnblam

Yeah maybe I just got unlucky with my neighbour RNG but they are kicking the **** out of me. They frequently are getting over a 100% bonus from there SHQ plus a substantial boost from their OHQ's. They are having no problems piercing my defensive lines and are about to encircle my capital. I just got tanks out but they took my oilfield and my economy is in the toilet. Having a lot of fun though, this game is ****ing awesome.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 45
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 7:44:31 PM   
watcherseye

Is there a way to deal with minors so they don't just walk through and take over territory? I had to declare war on one and eliminate them. Meanwhile another one, I have defined borders.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 46
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 7:54:19 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

You can offer them peace (via strategem from the supreme command or foreign affairs council) to establish a border agreement.

(in reply to watcherseye)
Post #: 47
RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic - 6/9/2020 8:12:53 PM   
Jdane

I'm starting to doubt such a topic is a great idea.
It is becoming a little hard to follow, a question can get lost and receive no answer, and I'm thinking each question, however minor it might seem, should have its dedicated thread for easing the search.
This format seems to me better suited for an instant messaging medium such as Discord, but maybe that's just me.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/9/2020 8:13:07 PM >

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Questions that don't deserve a separate topic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI