Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:20:52 PM   
DeltaV112

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford

Now we're having this bloody argument on eXplorminate's Discord.

I'm gonna copy/paste something I said there because it might highlight the issue from a certain perspective.

"I agree that using it to cut off supply from roads is busywork, but the cost of removing that would be to take the agency from the player in sculpting the logistics himself, and leaving much of the system to automation
and you know, that's how all the other games do it, if you're gonna automate it, just fully automate it and have done with it and then we've got Operational Art of War with a sci-fi vibe

Let me use a more obvious example to illustrate this point:

Total War: Warhammer has a problem. The RTS combat is amazing but the auto resolve sucks.
This means that if you want to really optimise your performance in that game you feel forced to fight every battle yourself.
Now, you don't HAVE to, the game is designed so you don't, but people do because they want to lose less troops than they would with autocombat
So is the answer to remove the RTS combat just to have the game automate it?
No
Same with Shadow Empires traffic light system, and I'd argue that the issue with Warhammer is WAY worse.
Now, some people don't like that RTS system so they might see no problem in removing it but the people who do like it will be unhappy.
Same with Shadow Empire here"

I doubt anyone has serious fun managing the traffic signs. The reality is that for traffic signs there is an essentially optimal solution which could be found by a computer, and all you're doing as a player is tediously figuring it out manually. If you avoid the tedium you're playing suboptimally, especially if long logistical distances get involved(I had to run an invasion across a bunch of empty terrain, which required a bunch of fiddling to maximize the throughput with the limited levels of truck stations I could build quickly). The thought and recognition of the need to build intermediate stations to support the offensive was interesting and required consideration of how supplies were flowing and would flow as I got further away from my territory, making sure I wasn't overstraining my resource production so the stations would finish quickly, and slowing the offensive to make sure I didn't run out of fuel. All of that was gameplay.

Fiddling with the signs so that I could do it as fast as possible wasn't gameplay, it was tedium- checking back and forth to see what percent back along the line gave the highest flow all the way along the line. Making sure to close all the side-roads the AI built also isn't gameplay, it's an idiot check. It's one of those things that might mess your turn up if you forget to do it because it's boring.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 121
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:23:59 PM   
KingHalford

quote:

ORIGINAL: gilith

quote:

Now we're having this bloody argument on eXplorminate's Discord.

I'm gonna copy/paste something I said there because it might highlight the issue from a certain perspective.

"I agree that using it to cut off supply from roads is busywork, but the cost of removing that would be to take the agency from the player in sculpting the logistics himself, and leaving much of the system to automation
and you know, that's how all the other games do it, if you're gonna automate it, just fully automate it and have done with it and then we've got Operational Art of War with a sci-fi vibe

Let me use a more obvious example to illustrate this point:

Total War: Warhammer has a problem. The RTS combat is amazing but the auto resolve sucks.
This means that if you want to really optimise your performance in that game you feel forced to fight every battle yourself.
Now, you don't HAVE to, the game is designed so you don't, but people do because they want to lose less troops than they would with autocombat
So is the answer to remove the RTS combat just to have the game automate it?
No
Same with Shadow Empires traffic light system, and I'd argue that the issue with Warhammer is WAY worse.
Now, some people don't like that RTS system so they might see no problem in removing it but the people who do like it will be unhappy.
Same with Shadow Empire here"

The difference between Warhammner's RTS battles and SE's logistic system is that RTS battles are actually fun; managing logistics branches is not. It's just series of trivial decisions when placing traffic lights. Micromanaging is only fun as long as the decisions you're making are meaningful and not trivial. If it's trivial, then it should be automated.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion man!"

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

(in reply to gilith)
Post #: 122
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:25:39 PM   
KingHalford

Well anyway, everybody will have different ideas on this. Fire away :)

I'm sure Vic has his own plans anyway but it's clear he very much listens to the community.

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
www.eXplorminate.co

Post #: 123
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:33:17 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeltaV112
I doubt anyone has serious fun managing the traffic signs. The reality is that for traffic signs there is an essentially optimal solution which could be found by a computer, and all you're doing as a player is tediously figuring it out manually. If you avoid the tedium you're playing suboptimally, especially if long logistical distances get involved(I had to run an invasion across a bunch of empty terrain, which required a bunch of fiddling to maximize the throughput with the limited levels of truck stations I could build quickly). The thought and recognition of the need to build intermediate stations to support the offensive was interesting and required consideration of how supplies were flowing and would flow as I got further away from my territory, making sure I wasn't overstraining my resource production so the stations would finish quickly, and slowing the offensive to make sure I didn't run out of fuel. All of that was gameplay.

Fiddling with the signs so that I could do it as fast as possible wasn't gameplay, it was tedium- checking back and forth to see what percent back along the line gave the highest flow all the way along the line. Making sure to close all the side-roads the AI built also isn't gameplay, it's an idiot check. It's one of those things that might mess your turn up if you forget to do it because it's boring.

It's not my favorite logistics system, but I have fun using the traffic signs.

I, personally, would rather have the traffic signs than an automated system.

Given the other game mechanics, I think it's a good solution short of ripping out logistics completely. No logistics would take a lot of away from the game.

The traffic signs are a method to give the player agency over prioritization. I could imagine other ways to do that, but likely they would be as much or more tedium as well.

I do disagree with the enemy not being restricted by all the same logistics rules. Logistics and logistic targets are very cool attack surfaces (i.e. vulnerabilities) for players and the AI to exploit.

I do think there is room for other logistical elements. However, given the workload on one developer, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/10/2020 9:34:58 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to DeltaV112)
Post #: 124
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:33:32 PM   
Dampfnudel

quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dampfnudel

Vic please give us a pull/demand based system without traffic signs needed (but allowed).

NOT agreed!

What is the argument for having a push-based system over a pull-based system?
The only difference is that the first has always huge waste and dumb micromanagement while the second is efficient and is focused on strategic decision making.

You you prefer dumb micromanagement over smart thinking? I suggest not to play strategy games in this case. Clicker games offer more senseless clicking than traffic sign mangement can ever offer"

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 125
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:33:44 PM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Destragon

Also, note that I don't mention anything about automating the traffic lights for units. My problems are entirely about the logistics used by buildings.

It's not only the problem of the dynamic loading of units, but also the vast flow of supplies into and out of zones to the SHQ.

Then there's the variability of the static building production AND raw material inputs due to upgrading and impacts from materials shortages.

How will an automated system, much less a "simple" pull system sort out the priorities of all the above (and I'm sure I'm forgetting about other variables)?

An engineering perspective says that "the devil is in the details" and I prefer the devil I'm learning about to an overly optimistic promise of a better system that will surely become its own Gordian Knot.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 126
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:35:50 PM   
Dampfnudel

quote:

I'm repeating myself now, I laid this out in depth above, but if you automate one of the most unique, innovative and fun parts of this game then you're mostly removing the players control over it aside from positioning stations and bases. The traffic light system isn't a problem unless you're engaging in some autistic constant micromanagement on a turn by turn basis to squeeze out an extra LIS point here and there, in which case you should just be building more Truck stations, because by the point of the game that such micro might a problem (mid-late game) you've either got the resources to place an extra base or you're going to lose.

There's also a clear paradigm in games design to either hide automated systems from the player's view or to remove it entirely and there's a solid reason for that.

Furthermore, go ask anybody who still holds a torch for pre-2.0 Stellaris about how they feel to have features removed from a game they paid money for and see how they respond. Paradox might never recover their reputation over that.

What is innovative and fun about managing traffic signs just to make them push supply where it is needed and not into the desert?

Traffic signs should be only to priotize supply if supply is scarce. Not to prevent trucks to drive into the oblivion.

Post #: 127
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:35:59 PM   
willgamer

quote:

You you prefer dumb micromanagement over smart thinking? I suggest not to play strategy games in this case. Clicker games offer more senseless clicking than traffic sign mangement can ever offer"

Really!

Sunk to personal attacks!

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 128
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:37:09 PM   
Malevolence

Even with a pull system, you still have to prioritize. Traffic lights are about prioritization not push or pull.

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 129
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:41:47 PM   
Dampfnudel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Destragon

Also, note that I don't mention anything about automating the traffic lights for units. My problems are entirely about the logistics used by buildings.

It's not only the problem of the dynamic loading of units, but also the vast flow of supplies into and out of zones to the SHQ.

Then there's the variability of the static building production AND raw material inputs due to upgrading and impacts from materials shortages.

How will an automated system, much less a "simple" pull system sort out the priorities of all the above (and I'm sure I'm forgetting about other variables)?

An engineering perspective says that "the devil is in the details" and I prefer the devil I'm learning about to an overly optimistic promise of a better system that will surely become its own Gordian Knot.

1. demand is calculated for each hex. (already exists)
2. range of supplier is calculated (already exists)
3. connection of suppliers to demander is checked ((already exists)
4. Supply is subtracted from the supplier capacity. (already exists))
5. If multiple suppliers are in range the closets/biggest supplier has priority (new)
Edit: 6. If not enough capacity is prived demanders get prioritized using a priority setting (already exists)

< Message edited by Dampfnudel -- 6/10/2020 9:49:18 PM >

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 130
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:44:15 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

5. If multiple suppliers are in range the closets/biggest supplier has priority (new)

Given scarcity, how does that loop decide which requests are filled first?

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 131
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:45:19 PM   
Vic

Just wanted to say I am reading this thread and making notes. I do feel there is room for improvement.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 132
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:46:18 PM   
Dampfnudel

quote:

quote:

Really!

Sunk to personal attacks!

I am sorry and beg for pardon. I will correct my statement

Do you prefer chilled and relaxed micromanagement over tedious and exhausting thinking? I suggest so-called "Clicker games" which offer wast amount of mind liberating clicking, more than any traffic sign management could ever offer.

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 133
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:49:23 PM   
DeltaV112

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeltaV112

It's not my favorite logistics system, but I have fun using the traffic signs.

I, personally, would rather have the traffic signs than an automated system.

Given the other game mechanics, I think it's a good solution short of ripping out logistics completely. No logistics would take a lot of away from the game.

The traffic signs are a method to give the player agency over prioritization. I could imagine other ways to do that, but likely they would be as much or more tedium as well.

I do disagree with the enemy not being restricted by all the same logistics rules. Logistics and logistic targets are very cool attack surfaces (i.e. vulnerabilities) for players and the AI to exploit.

I do think there is room for other logistical elements. However, given the workload on one developer, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

I mean you already have and require prioritization tools outside of signs. Signs don't have any more precision than a hex so if you want one building prioritized over another in the same hex(as a result of resource shortages) you have to manually turn the other building off. Which works fine when it's necessary.

I'd say that an automated system would make the AI's task when managing logistics much simpler. As-is the AI faces a pretty steep hill in that it needs to understand that it needs roads to get supply to troops, but too many roads stop supply from getting to the right places. If the AI was programmed to just spam truck stops to solve the problem, it would spend huge piles of resources to do so, which would both be suboptimal play and worse obviously poor play, which is almost worse. Teaching the AI to use traffic signs like a player is possible but complicated AI code is risky in that AI failures are hard to trace. What's worse is if you succeeded, then the AI would have an advantage at this tedious task, making it a requirement to keep up with the AI's traffic-sign placing skill.

Essentially an automated optimal pull system would reduce to a similar problem as "where do I put traffic signs" but separated from the AI's opacity and complexity. The AI could build roads as it's IP permits and logistical assets to extend range safe in the knowledge that there's no "trap" condition to placing roads. There's no risk of making the AI good at a tedious task the player has to keep up with, both sides get the same capacity.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 134
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:50:55 PM   
Dampfnudel

quote:

quote:

Given scarcity, how does that loop decide which requests are filled first?

There is already a priority screen in the game where you can limit logistic capacity used by specific things like zones/armies etc.

The same would apply here. There is a predefined priority list. (the player can modify it)
In last consequence in case of 2 identical things, like 2 divisons of the same army on the same hex share the supply equal.

Post #: 135
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 9:57:46 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Just wanted to say I am reading this thread and making notes. I do feel there is room for improvement.

Then I suggest two things.

(1) A mobile "Logistics Unit" counter for military formations that can extend Operational Logistics in order to allow units to push further away from roads, etc. This also provides a nice target for the enemy to destroy when you add airplanes, etc.

(2) A "Red Ball Express" (i.e. main supply route) with some appropriate cost that allows to you to grease the skids with the movement of logistic points from a start point to and end point. Think of it as a temporary paved road.

In both these instances, the issue with the current "Supply Base" is it's value can really only be determined at one point in time. As the circumstances change, you are left with a semi-permanent facility that is no longer useful as your lines of communication change.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/10/2020 10:00:03 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 136
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 10:02:32 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

There is already a priority screen in the game where you can limit logistic capacity used by specific things like zones/armies etc.

The same would apply here. There is a predefined priority list. (the player can modify it)
In last consequence in case of 2 identical things, like 2 divisons of the same army on the same hex share the supply equal.

So your idea to squash tedium is to manually set a priority for every game object on the map?

The whole purpose of the those priority screens is to further refine IF you feel like micro-managing more.

I would rather set the priority for an entire front with two clicks.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/10/2020 10:05:34 PM >

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 137
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 10:10:56 PM   
RobearGWJ

I'm with Will. Which is to say, I don't necessarily agree with all his ideas here, but he made his argument well and I respect that.

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 138
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 10:12:58 PM   
Dampfnudel

quote:

quote:

So your idea to squash tedium is to manually set a priority for every game object on the map?

The whole purpose of the those priority screens is to further refine IF you feel like micro-managing more.

I would rather set the priority for an entire front with two clicks.

No. I never said to manually set a priority for each object. Where do you read that?

I mean like Assets > Armies ; Zone A > Zone B ; Food > Ammunition ; Army 1 > Army 2.

Post #: 139
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 10:20:10 PM   
GodwinW

I just want to state again (because a few seem to make the arguments broadly, e.g. 'nobody likes that' and 'is not fun'):

I like the Logistics system a lot.
I like fiddling with the Traffic Lights.
I even proposed an idea to ameliorate it for those who do not.
No one can tell me how to enjoy my time off with this game, if I like something you find terrible just accept that it is so, do not ignore it as if people like me do not exist ;)

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 6/10/2020 10:46:17 PM >

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 140
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 10:35:07 PM   
gilith

Would you like to manually manage worker recruitment for each zone, every turn? I wouldn't, and I'm glad I don't have to; but you do have a choice. There's an option to set fixed amount of workers in zone orders screen. Maybe it'll even be necessary at some point in late game when there's not enough population; I'm not there yet.

If you enjoy fiddling with traffic lights, that's fine; but you still should have a choice. For me, those are trivial decisions that I would expect my minions to handle. If there's a crisis and I run below capacity, let me shoot that minion and handle the priorities manually; at this point, fiddling with it may be fun. But not while the capacity is high.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 141
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 10:35:28 PM   
DTurtle

quote:

The only difference is that the first has always huge waste and dumb micromanagement while the second is efficient and is focused on strategic decision making.

As others pointed out: A pull system works perfectly as long as the logistics are available to fulfill all demand. The moment that is not the case, then you have to have some kind of prioritization. And then suddenly you have lots of micro again. With the traffic lights, I can simply block off/limit one direction so that more goes in the other (for example to the front, and not to a back area city).

The strength of this game is that pretty much everything can work to a good enough extent with a very hands-off approach, but to get the most out of each system, you can then go into more detail. As an example, it is possible to get good enough troops, by simply updating the models with always the newest technology. To get the very best troops, you can then start looking at the various design scores, weight vs engine power, etc.

Repeating myself from my previous post: the problem with the current system is that it often requires some intervention to get even basic logistics working (not much but a little). I know of several people who had such problems with the logistics (just getting a second city connected) that they almost completely gave up with the game. They tried stuff like building additional truck depots (outside the city, because they couldn't build inside because of a private depot), building additional (shorter) routes, even building a second SHQ, etc. Unfortunately, none of that helps, or even makes the problem worse.

In my opinion, unless you want to overhaul the entire system (which at this stage is a no-go, I think), what is needed is an easy way to tell the logistics system, that THIS route is the one that should get most of the truck points going along it. So instead of placing traffic signs restricting truck points from going into a direction at a fork in the road, you instead place priority signs, or a priority road telling the system that at least 95%, 90%, 80% or whatever percentage of truck points are supposed to go along this path. I think that that is an addition to the current system that is easy to understand and easy to explain.

(in reply to Dampfnudel)
Post #: 142
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 11:08:49 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

(2) A "Red Ball Express" (i.e. main supply route) with some appropriate cost that allows to you to grease the skids with the movement of logistic points from a start point to and end point. Think of it as a temporary paved road.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle
... what is needed is an easy way to tell the logistics system, that THIS route is the one that should get most of the truck points going along it. So instead of placing traffic signs restricting truck points from going into a direction at a fork in the road, you instead place priority signs, or a priority road telling the system that at least 95%, 90%, 80% or whatever percentage of truck points are supposed to go along this path. I think that that is an addition to the current system that is easy to understand and easy to explain.

I agree; it's realistic and it makes easy sense to new players too.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 143
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 11:16:13 PM   
diamondspider

Hmmm... now thinking that there is indeed something wrong here, meaning something looks buggy. I've been playing with "Current Supply" turned on and, sitting on a hex that shows a supply of 786, I go in to replace troops and it says there is 0 logistics. This was not happening when I had one city, even when it was servicing many zones. Now I have 3 cities but still one SHQ. I have situations where 1200+ logistics is going in the the "Current" value, and it will branch into two outgoing roads with no traffic lights of something like 120 and 150. Basically, unless I am misunderstanding what "Current" means, it makes absolutely no sense.

Post #: 144
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/10/2020 11:19:34 PM   
MarbleToad

quote:

ORIGINAL: DTurtle

quote:

As others pointed out: A pull system works perfectly as long as the logistics are available to fulfill all demand. The moment that is not the case, then you have to have some kind of prioritization. And then suddenly you have lots of micro again. With the traffic lights, I can simply block off/limit one direction so that more goes in the other (for example to the front, and not to a back area city).

The strength of this game is that pretty much everything can work to a good enough extent with a very hands-off approach, but to get the most out of each system, you can then go into more detail. As an example, it is possible to get good enough troops, by simply updating the models with always the newest technology. To get the very best troops, you can then start looking at the various design scores, weight vs engine power, etc.

Repeating myself from my previous post: the problem with the current system is that it often requires some intervention to get even basic logistics working (not much but a little). I know of several people who had such problems with the logistics (just getting a second city connected) that they almost completely gave up with the game. They tried stuff like building additional truck depots (outside the city, because they couldn't build inside because of a private depot), building additional (shorter) routes, even building a second SHQ, etc. Unfortunately, none of that helps, or even makes the problem worse.

In my opinion, unless you want to overhaul the entire system (which at this stage is a no-go, I think), what is needed is an easy way to tell the logistics system, that THIS route is the one that should get most of the truck points going along it. So instead of placing traffic signs restricting truck points from going into a direction at a fork in the road, you instead place priority signs, or a priority road telling the system that at least 95%, 90%, 80% or whatever percentage of truck points are supposed to go along this path. I think that that is an addition to the current system that is easy to understand and easy to explain.

I prefer the Logistics as is right now over a demand based system. I like the fiddly bits. That is why I bought his game. Because it has complex systems to fiddle with. If it gets changed too much from fiddliness, I will still play this game, but have to go searching for another game to fill my logistics fiddliness niche. That being said, if there was a Logistics Counsel that let you prioritize routes and then the counsel placed appropriate traffic signs I'd be cool with that. Especially if there was a limit to the number of prioritized routes based on the competency of the counsel leaders. Heck, this could open up a whole new can of worms if the counsel leader becomes really upset. So you could weigh the pros and cons of even building the counsel in the first place.

< Message edited by MarbleToad -- 6/10/2020 11:20:32 PM >

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 145
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/11/2020 12:13:03 AM   
omzh

I don't think there is anything wrong with the traffic lights, and I enjoy a little bit of micro when it comes to logistics, and stretching out offensives that are further out. That being said, I think some of the ideas in this forum make sense to me personally, and would put logistics in a place where it isn't game-ending if you don't micro the system every turn.

1. Pull-based logistics - I tend to think this is the more optimal way to set up logistics, as having demand drive where logistics go removes the micro of having to constantly check your network to make sure none of it is getting wasted. I think DTurtle mentioned, it would require micro once you don't have enough enough supply to reach all of the demand, then you can adjust the routes using traffic lights to make sure supplies are going where they are needed.

One thing I want to add that's been suggested a lot is having a new mechanic that manages your logistics for you - I'm not really a big fan of that, if you're going to add it might as well simplify the system rather than adding a mechanic barely anyone would use, because no one really trusts an AI to handle this stuff for them.

2. Removing Roads - I want this purely for the aesthetics, but I'll admit even besides AI wonkiness I've mistakenly built roads I didn't want. Sure I can just traffic light them, but I'd rather make the map look clean if I can.

As above, the mechanics suggested to deconstruct roads I think is again an unnecessary gimmick. Make the roads free or half cost to deconstruct, it's not a system that needs to be over complicated.

3. More Information/Transparency with Logistics - Part of the problem my ignorant self has with the Current Logistics map mode is that I find it hard to tell how much supplies are actually needed down a certain road. What I would like to see is a map mode where you can see where your supplies are being consumed (e.g. troops/buildings) and how much they need so that I can properly allocate logistics as I need, and traffic light what I want. This follows to the next point brought up;

4. Change Percent-based Logistics to Absolute Value - I think the current percent-based system of traffic lights doesn't really allow for the full control of how much supplies go in which direction. I'd like to limit by the exact number of logistics I need, so I'm not going over and having it get wasted.

My final thought is I would like to see logistics having the same treatment of other mechanics, where it's not game-ending if you don't get deep into it but at the same time gives opportunities to min/max it and adjust based on your situation in game.

(in reply to MarbleToad)
Post #: 146
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/11/2020 12:21:12 AM   
jwarrenw13

I don't know what changes Vic will bring about to logistics, but whatever it is, I hope it is the least invasive changes possible. I really don't think the system is broken, and I don't think it always requires intense micromanagement. At the same time it could be improved. I think we could easily end up with something that isn't as good as what we have now if he attempts major surgery. Based on past experience, though, I think he will make tweaks rather than major changes. So I think those with a really deep understanding of what is going on -- and I don't claim to have a deep understanding; I'm just developing a good understanding -- should be offering suggestions that are along those lines, beneficial without being deeply invasive. And a lot of the suggestions are along those lines.

(in reply to omzh)
Post #: 147
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/11/2020 12:40:44 AM   
MarbleToad

quote:

ORIGINAL: omzh

I don't think there is anything wrong with the traffic lights, and I enjoy a little bit of micro when it comes to logistics, and stretching out offensives that are further out. That being said, I think some of the ideas in this forum make sense to me personally, and would put logistics in a place where it isn't game-ending if you don't micro the system every turn.

1. Pull-based logistics - I tend to think this is the more optimal way to set up logistics, as having demand drive where logistics go removes the micro of having to constantly check your network to make sure none of it is getting wasted. I think DTurtle mentioned, it would require micro once you don't have enough enough supply to reach all of the demand, then you can adjust the routes using traffic lights to make sure supplies are going where they are needed.

One thing I want to add that's been suggested a lot is having a new mechanic that manages your logistics for you - I'm not really a big fan of that, if you're going to add it might as well simplify the system rather than adding a mechanic barely anyone would use, because no one really trusts an AI to handle this stuff for them.

2. Removing Roads - I want this purely for the aesthetics, but I'll admit even besides AI wonkiness I've mistakenly built roads I didn't want. Sure I can just traffic light them, but I'd rather make the map look clean if I can.

As above, the mechanics suggested to deconstruct roads I think is again an unnecessary gimmick. Make the roads free or half cost to deconstruct, it's not a system that needs to be over complicated.

3. More Information/Transparency with Logistics - Part of the problem my ignorant self has with the Current Logistics map mode is that I find it hard to tell how much supplies are actually needed down a certain road. What I would like to see is a map mode where you can see where your supplies are being consumed (e.g. troops/buildings) and how much they need so that I can properly allocate logistics as I need, and traffic light what I want. This follows to the next point brought up;

4. Change Percent-based Logistics to Absolute Value - I think the current percent-based system of traffic lights doesn't really allow for the full control of how much supplies go in which direction. I'd like to limit by the exact number of logistics I need, so I'm not going over and having it get wasted.

My final thought is I would like to see logistics having the same treatment of other mechanics, where it's not game-ending if you don't get deep into it but at the same time gives opportunities to min/max it and adjust based on your situation in game.

Interesting ideas. I like them. But I do have some counterpoints:

If it was a pull based system what would become of the Truck Station and Supply Base relationship? Right now, as I understand it, the Truck stations add push and the supply bases extend the range. Also, there would be a lot less wasted logistics. I understand that this is could be seen as a benefit. But I also see the downside. The difficulty in optimizing the supply lines is an aspect of the game that adds verisimilitude. And it makes sense considering your first units are a rag tag militia with hand-me-down patchwork gear and hodge podged unit compostions. Should logistics networks in this post-apocalyptic world have easily optimized logistics? Or should a large part of the game be figuring that puzzle out? I personally like puzzles. To me, more puzzles is more better.

< Message edited by MarbleToad -- 6/11/2020 12:42:37 AM >

(in reply to omzh)
Post #: 148
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/11/2020 1:07:04 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarbleToad
And it makes sense considering your first units are a rag tag militia with hand-me-down patchwork gear and hodge podged unit compostions. Should logistics networks in this post-apocalyptic world have easily optimized logistics?

But I tend to think the opposite--in these very resource-constrained worlds, maximizing resource management/logistics would be a very important ingrained trait of every proto-civilization, and not something that should have to be learned as you go... When every drop of water and bite of food is precious (and has been for centuries), you're not going to be shipping stuff willy-nilly all over the place.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/11/2020 1:21:51 AM >

(in reply to MarbleToad)
Post #: 149
RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess - 6/11/2020 1:17:09 AM   
omzh

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarbleToad
And it makes sense considering your first units are a rag tag militia with hand-me-down patchwork gear and hodge podged unit compostions. Should logistics networks in this post-apocalyptic world have easily optimized logistics?

But I tend to think the opposite--in these very resource-constrained worlds, maximizing resources/logistics would be a very important ingrained trait of every proto-civilization, and not something that should have to learned as you go... When every drop of water and bite of food is precious (and has been for centuries), you're not going to be shipping stuff willy-nilly all over the place.

I have to agree with 76mm there. I think Truck Stations and supply bases would still be necessary, I just don't like how the system now has so much waste, and there isn't enough control with the traffic lights to really min max it.

And to caveat I haven't gotten to the end game yet due to a few restarts, but even when you hold 2-3 cities you captured from minors plus your capital it already gets very cumbersome to check every turn, where I think there are better decisions to be made.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: The logistic System is a gigantic mess Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI