Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Musings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Musings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Musings - 6/11/2020 8:24:35 AM   
LGKMAS

Spent the last few days looking around at things. Then realised what had happened to me.
No longer do I have the impetuosity of youth. I have resisted the urge to quickly fix the raid on Noumea by putting together a SCTF and a ACTF and pushing end of turn. And that pesky Sub near Townsville needs a good seeing to so where can I strip ASW assets to deal with it?
now I am patiently working my way round the map. I am sitting down as a turn unfolds and noting what I did wrong so I can make sure I don't make the same mistake twice or maybe three times.

I am looking at rear areas to make sure I have not overlooked a LCU or a Air unit that has been quietly building up strength and experience.
I am looking around at all my bases seeing who is getting low on supply and who now needs Aviation support.
I am examining pilot training to see where I can get more experience pilots.
I am checking who reports to who (whom?) and if I need to pay PP for that.
Nearly every turn now I am writing up a list of tasks I need to do before I push that end of turn button.

In short I am settling into a routine that seems to work. I shrug off the blows and arrows of outrageous fortune and get on with the overall picture. regardless of what happens that makes my blood boil. How dare the IJN bombard Akyab! Now I am looking seriously at how I let that happen and how to prevent it happening again.
Is this how most players end up, being patient and non-impetuous?
Post #: 1
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 9:50:59 AM   
HvMoltke

Hi LGKMAS
Ha I realize you are in the meditation mode, fine for you.
I`m a retired ICU man and realize how my brain is working not so straigt anymore. I send a ship to A and wonder some days later what it should do over there.
I also try to use a sort of routine, works fine, but as said before why the heck is that transport force going the wrong way and didn`t unload or unload on a place it hit land.
AE is a game to learn dealing with constant frustration--- and work on your frustration level.
Happy gaming

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 2
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 10:24:13 AM   
Trugrit

I’m old as well and I don’t know about most players.

As I’ve said before...

Each individual approaches it differently. The learning curve is a continuous journey instead of a final destination.
I think most players who have played for a long time will agree that they don’t really “know” it as a final learned solution.
I think that is why it has strong lasting appeal; you can never get to the end of the road with it.
Like chess it has an eternal quality that has the ability to surprise and delight you even after years of play.

Patience and watching is a critical factor because this is an adult game, it weeds out a lot of impetuous children very quickly.

It is a lot like Baseball which I also love. Baseball takes patience and a lot of watching to understand.

This game, like Baseball, will reward you for thinking correctly short and long term about a lot of fixed
and random variables that exist on many different levels; and then adjusting your thinking as conditions change.
Thinking correctly in a dynamic environment requires experience, knowledge and concentration.

Few people can do this really well. I’m not one of them because I have several flaws that prevent
me from being a really good player but I can appreciate the game as played.

I think a writer once said of Baseball:
“Many watch but only a few understand”

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 3
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 10:28:01 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I’m old as well and I don’t know about most players.

As I’ve said before...

Each individual approaches it differently. The learning curve is a continuous journey instead of a final destination.
I think most players who have played for a long time will agree that they don’t really “know” it as a final learned solution.
I think that is why it has strong lasting appeal; you can never get to the end of the road with it.
Like chess it has an eternal quality that has the ability to surprise and delight you even after years of play.

Patience and watching is a critical factor because this is an adult game, it weeds out a lot of impetuous children very quickly.

It is a lot like Baseball which I also love. Baseball takes patience and a lot of watching to understand.

This game, like Baseball, will reward you for thinking correctly short and long term about a lot of fixed
and random variables that exist on many different levels; and then adjusting your thinking as conditions change.
Thinking correctly in a dynamic environment requires experience, knowledge and concentration.

Few people can do this really well. I’m not one of them because I have several flaws that prevent
me from being a really good player but I can appreciate the game as played.

I think a writer once said of Baseball:
“Many watch but only a few understand”

You're only as old as you feel. But well said Trugrit....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 4
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 10:44:51 AM   
HvMoltke

quote:

btd64
You're only as old as you feel.

I can tell you always in the morning, when I pick up the newspaper, how old I am

< Message edited by HvMoltke -- 6/11/2020 11:24:00 AM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 10:49:21 AM   
HvMoltke

Old, thats an interesting aspect. I always wonder the age range of those who play this game for years. Some even die with it.
This game seems to be endless but life is not.
So what`s your age fellows.
I`m 67
Helmut

< Message edited by HvMoltke -- 6/11/2020 2:15:04 PM >

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 6
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 12:53:20 PM   
LGKMAS

Just hit 71 and now have time to spend serious time on the game.
If I had hit this maybe 10 years ago, I would have been very gung-ho and tried to smash Japan down right from the start. Well maybe twenty years ago!
Now, I have started to learn patience. nothing can be done overnight, or so SWMBO tells me. And I am starting to agree with her. And that tells you I am maturing! This is a long term game. Nothing can really be finalised in the first ten turns! And nor was the pacific War! The fact when we have 1600 turns to the final assessment should point to something. If you can get a result in your favour before then, more kudos to you. I think I am doing better than historical even though I have cranked up the level two from that means I must be doing something right. time will tell.
I am just happy to have found this when I now have time to sit back and think about what I really mean to do, rather than rush off like a teenager and react to things that in the great big picture are relatively minor.
So does anyone have any demographics for the game? Are we all old F**ts or are we a broadbased serious military group who understand the problems of warfare? As a wise man once said, amateurs study strategy, professionals study logistics!

< Message edited by LGKMAS -- 6/11/2020 12:54:32 PM >

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 7
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 2:42:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HvMoltke

Hi LGKMAS
Ha I realize you are in the meditation mode, fine for you.
I`m a retired ICU man and realize how my brain is working not so straigt anymore. I send a ship to A and wonder some days later what it should do over there.
I also try to use a sort of routine, works fine, but as said before why the heck is that transport force going the wrong way and didn`t unload or unload on a place it hit land.
AE is a game to learn dealing with constant frustration--- and work on your frustration level.
Happy gaming

You are correct about needing patience and persistence to play the game the way it was designed - it does reward those who notice small things and set them right, even the administrative/logistics details.

BTW - to guard against brain farts you can just label your TF in that small text box at the top left of the TF screen. That is how I remember what the heck I was planning a few turns ago.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 8
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 3:10:49 PM   
HvMoltke

Hi BBfanboy
quote:

BTW - to guard against brain farts you can just label your TF in that small text box at the top left of the TF screen. That is how I remember what the heck I was planning a few turns ago.

Thats something I do also. But I`d like to know an easy way to access that text. Do I have to go through all my TFs, am I right?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 8:37:43 PM   
PaxMondo

you sort in the tf display I believe.

Pax

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 10
RE: Musings - 6/11/2020 8:41:24 PM   
PaxMondo

nope.

Pax

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: Musings - 6/12/2020 12:53:59 AM   
LGKMAS

I think if you roll over the tf on the map, it will show the title.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 12
RE: Musings - 6/12/2020 3:07:40 AM   
NigelKentarus

quote:

Old, thats an interesting aspect. I always wonder the age range of those who play this game for years. Some even die with it.
I`m 67
Helmut

65 next month. This is THE game.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 13
RE: Musings - 6/12/2020 5:57:11 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LGKMAS

I think if you roll over the tf on the map, it will show the title.

With a weird exception - if it is a one-ship TF the title you gave it will not show up on the rollover pop-up.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 14
RE: Musings - 6/17/2020 6:40:14 PM   
Taxcutter

Sometimes I think this game is about fuel, farming good pilots and managing airframe pools.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 15
RE: Musings - 6/17/2020 6:43:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxcutter

Sometimes I think this game is about fuel, farming good pilots and managing airframe pools.

Farming good pilots? Any that I have planted six feet under have failed to produce a new crop!

(in reply to Taxcutter)
Post #: 16
RE: Musings - 6/17/2020 7:06:17 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

I`m 67
Helmut

I remember - yes, I can still remember things - a similar "What's your age again?" thread some years ago and that I was at the lower, younger end of the age range of WitP players. I'm 46 now.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 6/18/2020 5:12:01 AM >

(in reply to HvMoltke)
Post #: 17
RE: Musings - 6/17/2020 7:20:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

I`m 67
Helmut

I remember - yes, I can still remember things - a similar "What's your age again?" threat some years ago and that I was at the lower, younger end of the age range of WitP players. I'm 46 now.

So, at least you can appreciate the grenze opening up and understand somewhat the Cold War mentality of some players.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 18
RE: Musings - 6/18/2020 5:49:23 PM   
RayYoung

I'm 73 and have been playing this game for so long that I can remember the first Pacific War program. I think it is going on 20 years now if not more.

I have started and re-started this game year after year trying to refine my play as I gain experience and realize the early mistakes I have made.

I spend more time now on logistics and pilot training, particularly training Naval Search and Recon.

I remember it being stated that this is the cheapest $100 game you would ever buy and it is so true. I have literally thousands of hours in it and haven't grown tired of it. I take breaks of course, but always come back.

525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 19
RE: Musings - 6/18/2020 7:01:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayYoung

I'm 73 and have been playing this game for so long that I can remember the first Pacific War program. I think it is going on 20 years now if not more.

I have started and re-started this game year after year trying to refine my play as I gain experience and realize the early mistakes I have made.

I spend more time now on logistics and pilot training, particularly training Naval Search and Recon.

I remember it being stated that this is the cheapest $100 game you would ever buy and it is so true. I have literally thousands of hours in it and haven't grown tired of it. I take breaks of course, but always come back.

We understand, everyone has to go to the bathroom sometime, and sleeping in the chair leaves a kink in your neck ...

(in reply to RayYoung)
Post #: 20
RE: Musings - 6/18/2020 9:38:19 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayYoung

We understand, everyone has to go to the bathroom sometime, and sleeping in the chair leaves a kink in your neck ...

Lay in bed, wear a diaper and have someone pretty to change it. Of course, that way you may also get some exercise . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Musings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI