Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn Processing time

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Turn Processing time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn Processing time - 6/11/2020 7:52:32 AM   
Stelteck

Hi.
The game is really awesome and i do not regret a bit to buy it, but if some technical optimisation can be done to accelerate the AI Turn processing time it would be great.

It is ok on small planet, but playing on large and more is really a burden because of it. And it is a shame because some parts of the game, like the logistical system really shine on decent size planets, with huge distance to covert with limited ressources...

Thanks for all you can done and this great game.

Post #: 1
RE: Turn Processing time - 6/11/2020 9:56:28 AM   
RecliningJohnnyD

I agree Stelteck. I have a powerful processor and still hesitate pressing end turn sometimes because of the turn processing length.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 2
RE: Turn Processing time - 6/11/2020 10:10:12 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: RecliningJohnnyD

I agree Stelteck. I have a powerful processor and still hesitate pressing end turn sometimes because of the turn processing length.

There is one rule about processors and Videogames: Only single thread performance really counts!
Multicore CPU's and games do not mix. Indeed, Multicore CPU's and most problems worth solving with a computer do not mix.

Some extra cores (maybe 3) can help take some of the background work off that core, but in the end how fast that one thread runs on that one core is what is the bottleneck.

(in reply to RecliningJohnnyD)
Post #: 3
RE: Turn Processing time - 6/11/2020 10:17:28 AM   
Stelteck

I'am not even sûre what is the bottleneck. I tried to run the turn using the ressource monitoring, and hardly ever got above 50% of CPU occupation on any processor.
Did not identify also much disk access.

Maybe the ressources are here but the process of the game do not use them for whatever reason. It could be as simple as some configuration parameters that can be optimized.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Turn Processing time - 6/11/2020 10:56:08 AM   
RecliningJohnnyD

My single core speed is quite fast too - over 4 ghz!
At least I think that is considered quite fast? It is a couple of years old though.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Turn Processing time - 6/11/2020 10:59:32 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

I'am not even sûre what is the bottleneck. I tried to run the turn using the ressource monitoring, and hardly ever got above 50% of CPU occupation on any processor.
Did not identify also much disk access.

Maybe the ressources are here but the process of the game do not use them for whatever reason. It could be as simple as some configuration parameters that can be optimized.

It could be that you CPU measurements are running into hyperthreading. Wich is a fancy way of saying "we got 2 queues/virtual cores for each physical Core". If 2 are taxed out exactly 100% together, you are looking at the virtual cores instead of the physical ones.

The Disk as bottleneck I exlcuded, as the game is 700 MiB in size - that is not a lot of things to load. Indeed, you propably want to load the whole game directory into memory asynchronously, just to eliminate that completely.

That only leaves the Memory as bottleneck. Wich given the sheer amount of detail on each subunit, would actually be possible.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/11/2020 11:00:23 AM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Turn Processing time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI