Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

5 Games on Beginner - Help Please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 7:01:29 AM   
hellcat23

5 Games on Beginner

This game is amazingly compelling and I haven’t seen anything like it in years.

However I’m running into some serious walls on just Beginner setting and would like to run this past some folks and see what they think.

So here’s a quick lowdown on my first 5 games…

First game on a moon… I don’t really know what I’m doing. I play an hour, read some manual, watch some youtube – mainly DasTactics, play some more & repeat. It becomes fairly obvious my supply logistics is in bad shape. It is such a mess I start to become despondent but I keep plodding away and trying to figure things out.

Just as I feel I have got a handle on the logistics and start to put it right I get attacked pretty hard by a major power and it’s war! My logistics starts to run into the green but this war seems endless. I am starting to think maybe I should restart when a message pops up saying I’ve won as I’m too big for anyone to take on or something like this. News to me but I’ll take the win.

(Narrator: It was the only win he would get…)

Second game small planetoid. I’ve got up to date on the youtube tutorials, read the manual and feel pretty good about logistics. Off to a good start, my area is locked in by mountains on both sides and I’ve settled pretty much top to bottom of the map in the area I am in. The mountains are at least 8-10 hexes thick on each side of me so don’t think I’ll be able to afford to run any roads or rails across them anytime soon. That’s fine with me, hopefully I can set to work on growing my empire quietly. I’ve made contact with one major power and my spies seem to be showing me there is only 1 other major power. There seems to be 13 cities and I have 6 of them.

Time passes and I use it to get my logistics and supply and all my resources in the green. Everything seems to be going well. I can see the other major power area and he controls the other 7 cities. 6 vs 7 seems almost a fair match. He is blackmailing me constantly and I can’t seem to raise my relationship with him. Suddenly it’s war! I have no real idea how I am going to take the war to him due to the mountain ranges and cost of road / rail building. No need to worry he is coming to me and oh my he has a lot of troops! He only comes from one side and that seems to be where all his cities are, the other side I am still probing minor powers and trying to eke out some more territory before the mountains.

The onslaught begins and I manage to draw a thin battle line running pretty much top to bottom of the map by pumping out some units fast and getting them into place. I’ve read about how machineguns are good on defence and I have put brigades into defence and hold the line formations with HQ cards. My line is thin and mostly 1 hex deep, his attacking horde is 4 to 5 hexes deep and stacked up! Doesn’t seem quite fair. I start to ponder what I’ve learned for my next game as they hit my line fully expecting them to wash over me.

Hold the line indeed! My brave machinegunners (mostly) put up some staggering kill numbers. I’m getting multiple turn reports of 8000 to 10,000 enemy dead for a loss of around 2000 of my own. Amazing! I’m trying to replace my losses each turn and try and just defend rather than push into the mountain range where I quickly run into supply issues. But the enemy just keeps coming, they can take 10k losses per turn and not blink. Even worse they are now coming with serious tanks and assault guns. I have no answer to that. I try and throw out some AT guns but they get destroyed very quickly. They eat up the southern part of my line and break through. It’s over, my economy couldn’t have stood it any longer anyway.

Maybe it was a blip, the mountain ranges were a problem for me to traverse, perhaps the next map will be better? Maybe if there isn’t just one major power they will fight each other instead of me? Maybe the huge wave of enemies 4-5 hexes deep was unusual?

Game 3 – Seth Class

Rolls up interesting looking deserty planet, no indiginous life – that’s a shame I haven’t seen any alien life yet at all…

OK lets start expanding, gonna head south with my militia and army on turn 1. What’s that blip there some kinda unit? I move a couple of units next to it but don’t reveal it. Mysterious… end turn 1.

Oh he’s not alone? Coming up from the south there are suddenly OMG how many counters? I count 40. I still can’t see what they are. Turn 2 emergency mode move everyone towards this horde. I have bad memories of the last game with a wall of enemies. Not again! Not so soon!

I reveal the first counter… It’s an arachnid! ‘I thought it said no alien life?’ I can hear my militia shouting to each other. This first counter of spiders is a little ahead of the blob. Are they all arachnids? I move 5 counter round it, almost surrounded. Let’s fight!

No damage.

What? We didn’t do hardly any damage to this one arachnid unit and there’s a whole blob of them?

End turn… (CENSORED STARSHIP TROOPERS)

Yes the whole 40 counter blob are all Arachnids. By Turn 8 it’s all over for me and the miltia.

Game 4 – Boreas Class

Hey ho, that last one must have been one of those procedural blips. It was quite funny really and at least it was over quick.

Gosh there are enemy counters on Turn 1! Hope they aren’t Arachnids, phew just slavers. Militia Advance!

Turn 3 – It’s all over, lost everything to a slaver horde. On Turn 3! On Beginner!

Game 5 – Limos Class

OK at this point I am feeling very bruised. I’m gonna take it very carefully this time. Even when exploring early. I’ve learned a bit more like about colonists and also about founding new cities / zones. Maybe that can give me an edge over other major powers?

Limos Class – oh my – what a beautiful map? Inland lakes, mountains and rocky plains. Definitely the best looking map yet and lots of options. There are still mountain areas that look impassable but perhaps there are ways around them and yes with careful exploration I see there are ways through or around in some places. Off we go.

70 turns of expansion. What a joy. We even have an AI we can chat to and we get some amazing GR tanks (Romulus and Veloceraptor) that make winning wars against minor powers easy. We are rocking mostly buggy, trucks and infantry. The distances between cities are huge!

There’s a major power across the mountains to my left, I keep them sweet. There’s another major to my right and we are on ok terms. I set up a small line of machine gunners where I think they will come if they decide to aggress.

I’ve covered almost top to bottom of the map and I’m snaking my roads and rails between lakes and mountains. I’ve made 4 additional cities on top of the 4 I have picked up the normal way. I’ve connected it by rail, supply is in the green. All resources are in the green. I’ve discovered nuclear power through a card and even have a nuclear power plant. There is an occasional radioactive hex for me to farm but very few. All cities have barracks, hospitals, offices, universities and we are growing a lot of food.

The only issue I have is some zones don’t have enough population yet because I founded new cities but they are all functioning ok. I get the occasional separatist leader normally someone I fired but all is well. I know it is only a matter of time until a major power declares war.

After 70 turns it’s war! The major power on my right has started to expand towards me but I was ready. I set up a line and we have discovered gauss weapons so that should be a surprise to them.

The enemy cities are closer together than mine and one is about 4 hexes from my battle line. Here they come in a line about 30 to 40 hexes long. 4 hexes deep in places. My line is holding well and we are putting up good numbers. We are losing 500 to 1000 per turn but we are killing 5000 to 8000. We are defending in some places but also pushing towards their first city.

We are outnumbered big time again and I just cannot put out the same number of units, and if I could I wouldn’t be able to maintain them. Already got food problems and with more vehicles being made my fuel and metal are also taking hits. Despite all that we take the city and we hold onto it. Our line has stopped them from getting anywhere near my own cities. But even so we are losing food, money, metal and fuel. I have roads running right up to the front lines so supply is also good and showing green but the enemy keeps coming.

My units turn red and then black as money and resources deplete. I have sold what I can to try and maintain but there’s no more to be done. The enemy has not suffered in the slightest from the loss of the city and now other major powers I didn’t even know about are declaring war on me in the South. Economically it’s all over for me, we cannot hold and even if we could the sheer numbers of the enemy seems overwhelming again.

What a shame. I loved this map!

I go back a few saves before war was declared and try to buy some time by using the money cards on diplomacy to keep the major power from declaring war. Relations are about 10. I spend a 1000 card. It goes up to 16. I spend a 400 card the next turn. Relations is at 20. I need to be at 30 to get something going and I am out of cards. Next turn they donate money to me to improve relations. I readily accept. I check relations on my turn hoping it has now gone up to 30. Relations have gone down to 6! eh?

So what’s up with this game? Is it a rogue-like?

Major Powers seem to have something like 10, 20 even 30 times the amount of units available once war starts and no amount of I take 1000 losses and you take 10,000 losses seems to phase them or slow them down at all.

If battle lines can be across the map top to bottom there’s no way to sneak a force into their territory and gobble up their resource points. And if there was how do you get across a mountain range and stay in supply? You can’t defend yourself to victory in this game either.

How can all this be on Beginner setting?

I mean I like a challenge but this is way off. I’m loving the game, the mix of wargame and exploration and building. It’s truly an amazing game but can we please get the difficulty settings under control. I’m not a casual by any means but this is brutal.
Post #: 1
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 7:11:30 AM   
eddieballgame

Fun read & the fact you got an alien life form on a Seth Class planet is...amazing.

(in reply to hellcat23)
Post #: 2
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 7:19:21 AM   
hellcat23

Yeah the planet generation said there was no life for sure but it was freakin Klendathu down there!

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 3
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 8:24:12 AM   
Vic

Over the last weeks the AI improved quite a lot and I am going to indeed tune it down a little bit on Beginner level.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to hellcat23)
Post #: 4
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 8:46:28 AM   
hellcat23

Thanks Vic!

I think it would be far more accessible for the earlier difficulties to be made more entry level, for a wider audience too. There is something truly beautiful here with this game and so much to learn along the way.

My last game in my description took a couple of days to get through and it's such a shame that when the end came that there really is no way back. It can be very 'rogue-like' in how unforgiving it can be. Hopefully as we all get deeper we can figure out some ways of staging a comeback rather than giving up and rolling a new game and a new planet.

I would think also with the enemy AI losing a city zone it would likely try and make peace. It seems very difficult to make peace at all once war is joined.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 5
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 11:49:18 AM   
Tssha

I have also noticed that war with a Major power is hard to stop. In fact, I've seen a couple threads noting this, some folks wondering how they can get a major to peace out, given the relations requirement. At least with a minor there's a card with a decent chance at rolling a success.

I figure if they declare on me then it's time to fight them to the death for dominance over this planet. Curtails my expansion somewhat, but at least I can harm them directly.

(in reply to hellcat23)
Post #: 6
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 12:15:17 PM   
actrade

Great read. I'm having similar experiences. I took a save (prior to the last beta upload) on beginner pretty far but didn't get into a major war. I've just recently started a normal save and OMG is it hard. Being probed/attacked almost immediately. Concur with OP that beginner needs to be toned down a bit to keep from driving people away.

(in reply to hellcat23)
Post #: 7
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 2:02:29 PM   
Ayus

In my first game i have different experiences, but i didnt border a major directly. Just after i had a few citys and build up pretty good it came to a war on 2 fronts with 2 majors.
One front was easy to hold due to mountains and sea. The other was an all out offensive on both sides. I attacked on the Northwest and he attacked with his main force on the Northeast. Was an epic battle. My luck was, the city he was about to take wasnt my main city. Buti was able to attack his capital. As i took it, most of his units collapsed.

I loved the experience. Usually in other games i have a feeling of "I cant win this!" or "Thats too easy!"...but in this game i felt real challange and uncertainty. I did not know if i would win or lose at all. Only when i finally besieged his capital i was able to relax a bit.

But guess what? The second Major i am at war with found a way around my southern defense line and is not attacking front the west were i only have token defense (thats also really low supplied) :D Will be a fun second war i guess :D

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 8
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 4:56:15 PM   
hellcat23

I'm wondering if the starting setup experience has anything to do with toggling the difficulty at all?

Is there an optimal start setting for best shot at survival or just keeping up?

What are your starting settings?

As I was watching Dastactic's youtube videos at the time I think I set mine up the same way. All the five games I listed were setup as follows:

2 Zone start, 1 Army per Zone. Supreme Council only at start. Lowest Tech Level and Epochs switched to ON.

Does that gimp the player against the AI major powers at all?

I mean do they start with more Zones or more councils or higher Tech levels?

I think it is really the AI Major Powers who kill the game dead for the Beginner player. The Minor Powers can be a pain but for the most part they can be handled. With the exception of getting immediately blobbed at game start of course.

My final game in the OP (game 5) was amazing (for a while) but despite that long 70 turn golden age I had I knew throughout it that it would all come to an end once war with a Major Power began and all the work I had put in would be lost. I know the AI plays by different rules and I am ok with that but I think in my 2nd and 5th games I saw the Major Power basically out of control where it had snowballed and just got steamrolled.

In the 2nd game I had advanced my military tech research to be able to put out a good variety of units but weight of enemy numbers made it like Isandlwana. In the 5th game I had been very lucky discovering Gauss weapons, nuclear power and things I could put to immediate use.

I've seen in other threads about how armor uses up oil per hex and how costly it can become quickly.

I wonder how the more hardcore difficulty players are handling a Major Power? Once they start eating up your territory and your hex perks it seems you have to face them off urgently before they cripple your economy.

(in reply to Ayus)
Post #: 9
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 5:30:16 PM   
Ayus

I guess the optimal settings will vary by player skill and preference.

My settings are as follows:
1 Zone start, only Militia. Supreme Council only. Lowest Tech Level and Epochs switched to ON. All that on a medium sized Siwa planet and 3 other Majors (of which 2 declared war on me, the third does not have a big border to me, somehow the minor Regimes to the north and south of it seem to hold it in place. Its smaller than even one of them. Could also be that he is at war with the other Major? I have no idea.

(in reply to hellcat23)
Post #: 10
RE: 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please - 6/11/2020 6:25:26 PM   
Johnners

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Over the last weeks the AI improved quite a lot...

I take it you improved it - it didn't do it itself. If it's the latter I'm uninstalling pronto.

Joking aside, absolutely loving the game.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> 5 Games on Beginner - Help Please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI