Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I am reading!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> I am reading! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I am reading! - 6/13/2020 7:22:54 PM   
Vic

Just wanted to let all posters in this subforum know I am reading and taking notes. Coming weeks I ll be shifting from repairs to additions and there are plenty of good suggestions here.

Best wishes, vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Post #: 1
RE: I am reading! - 6/13/2020 7:31:45 PM   
Frostwave

good to know :) This game is already feature rich excited to see what gets added!

< Message edited by Frostwave -- 6/13/2020 7:35:56 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 2
RE: I am reading! - 6/13/2020 8:17:00 PM   
Vhalor

Looking forward to the Cult of LIS then!

(in reply to Frostwave)
Post #: 3
RE: I am reading! - 6/13/2020 9:24:56 PM   
Jdane

You can ask Laiders and WeaverOfThreads for quotes to flesh out the fluff of the LIS Cult, they have a striking talent for it.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/13/2020 9:50:33 PM >

(in reply to Vhalor)
Post #: 4
RE: I am reading! - 6/13/2020 11:25:01 PM   
GodwinW

Since this subforum is also for feedback, let me just say something I just experienced something I found truly awesome and I wish there was more of (there is probably, but it could be more frequent imo) :)

I just had a Decision: "Our Spies in Tiefavia Found Info"

Their leader had been up to no good and I had the choice which Faction to divulge it to.

This made me look through all reports (Economy, Domain, Trade etc.) and there is so much! Found who the Leader himself was part of (I hope.. it is the leading Faction in any case) and made sure not to choose that one but one that a military leader was part of, hoping for some extra effect.

But this made me really wish there were more things we could piece together from such reports. Maybe the relations between his cabinet members for example, making it even better if we choose low relation targets (and maybe that's possible and 6 spies isn't enough).

But there are Trade details, Assets details etc. I would really like it if searching through them would be rewarded at times.

(Also the Major AI both buy and sell the same resource (all Public trade btw! private of course can well be different), is this a bug or mismanagement or neither?)

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 6/13/2020 11:53:25 PM >

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 5
RE: I am reading! - 6/20/2020 9:21:25 PM   
FAA

Great! Hope to see the game becoming more realistic soon!

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 6
RE: I am reading! - 10/24/2020 2:16:50 AM   
Utahphil1

Can you please, please, please add some type of in-game tutorial so that I can enjoy this game? I am aware of the DasTactics videos but some are really long and some are rather repetitive without doing much for me on getting into the meat of what looks like a fun game. I bought Shadow Empire based upon the amazing reviews but each time I start it, I feel like I am just wandering out clicking on random things. I do not even understand why I am clicking on big cards shown to me. It is so very frustrating, like maybe buying a puzzle without a cover. Guessing my way through what I am supposed to do shouldn't really be part of a game. At least the basics should be explained.

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 7
RE: I am reading! - 10/25/2020 10:10:41 AM   
Rodia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Utahphil1

Can you please, please, please add some type of in-game tutorial so that I can enjoy this game? I am aware of the DasTactics videos but some are really long and some are rather repetitive without doing much for me on getting into the meat of what looks like a fun game. I bought Shadow Empire based upon the amazing reviews but each time I start it, I feel like I am just wandering out clicking on random things. I do not even understand why I am clicking on big cards shown to me. It is so very frustrating, like maybe buying a puzzle without a cover. Guessing my way through what I am supposed to do shouldn't really be part of a game. At least the basics should be explained.

There's a manual in PDF format. You don't need to read it from the start to finish, but being on PDF, it's easy to search for any topic.

Keep going against the AI, last night I learned how to build assets and develop artillery and other new units, and now I'm beginning to get it.

Maybe I'm from another generation (older), but I love discovering a game step by step like this one.

(in reply to Utahphil1)
Post #: 8
RE: I am reading! - 3/1/2021 2:37:41 PM   
Vic

In the weeks to come I hope to focus the shift of the Open Beta's towards finetuning and balancing. Will be implementing a number of suggestions posted in this forum. More news soon.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Rodia)
Post #: 9
RE: I am reading! - 3/5/2021 3:58:20 PM   
Vic

Posted v1.08.03 open beta which includes quite a number of balancing and finetuning changes.

I'll keep reading this forum. And still have a lot of items on my lists.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Best wishes,
Vic

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 10
RE: I am reading! - 11/29/2021 2:34:38 PM   
Kuokkanen

Vic, have you seen thread The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 under General Discussion yet? A lot of general ideas and recap about wargames in general. I'll quote here one of my own posts:

quote:

Some interesting discussion about AI. I have some experiences to share. I recall reading a game review about a helicopter sim, Comanche I believe. Reviewer describes he ordered a wingman to attack an enemy helicopter. He expected AI wingman to fly straight toward the target, but instead wingman stopped in a mountain pass or something, and waited there to ambush the incoming enemy. It worked.

I had played Command & Conquer 3 demo, skirmish. I got some infantry ready and sent them along a road to do some recon. Along came enemy infantry force. Seeing my numerical superiority, enemy infantry turned around and occupied a building that was behind of them. BRILLIANT move from AI! That right there sold the game for me, and I bought the full game on DVD.

I remember watching a friend playing Combat Mission 2 demo. AI's Red (Army) soldiers started throwing Molotov cocktails at flamethrower tank. Tank put on reverse gear, cocktails fell short, and then tank returned fire with a MG 34 WITHOUT PLAYER INPUT!

I'd LOVE to see more of this sort of stuff in turn based and wego games. I want to see my AI soldiers and officers to use their own consideration, decision making, and initiative. I want to see my aircraft flying on appropriate altitude without me giving an order for it. I want to give my recon unit an order to do recon (or to hold fire) and them doing so without revealing themselves to an enemy by attacking them first. I want to see my ATG crew to take stock of available ammunition and consider should they fire at a new target, or wait for it to come closer for better hit chance and penetration (or leave the Jeep for nearby machine gun crew). I want to see that same ATG crew to panic, shoot too early, and run away while leaving the gun behind.

ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION, DEVELOPERS!?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 11
RE: I am reading! - 11/29/2021 9:24:07 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Vic, have you seen thread The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 under General Discussion yet? A lot of general ideas and recap about wargames in general. I'll quote here one of my own posts:

quote:

Some interesting discussion about AI. I have some experiences to share. I recall reading a game review about a helicopter sim, Comanche I believe. Reviewer describes he ordered a wingman to attack an enemy helicopter. He expected AI wingman to fly straight toward the target, but instead wingman stopped in a mountain pass or something, and waited there to ambush the incoming enemy. It worked.

I had played Command & Conquer 3 demo, skirmish. I got some infantry ready and sent them along a road to do some recon. Along came enemy infantry force. Seeing my numerical superiority, enemy infantry turned around and occupied a building that was behind of them. BRILLIANT move from AI! That right there sold the game for me, and I bought the full game on DVD.

I remember watching a friend playing Combat Mission 2 demo. AI's Red (Army) soldiers started throwing Molotov cocktails at flamethrower tank. Tank put on reverse gear, cocktails fell short, and then tank returned fire with a MG 34 WITHOUT PLAYER INPUT!

I'd LOVE to see more of this sort of stuff in turn based and wego games. I want to see my AI soldiers and officers to use their own consideration, decision making, and initiative. I want to see my aircraft flying on appropriate altitude without me giving an order for it. I want to give my recon unit an order to do recon (or to hold fire) and them doing so without revealing themselves to an enemy by attacking them first. I want to see my ATG crew to take stock of available ammunition and consider should they fire at a new target, or wait for it to come closer for better hit chance and penetration (or leave the Jeep for nearby machine gun crew). I want to see that same ATG crew to panic, shoot too early, and run away while leaving the gun behind.

ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION, DEVELOPERS!?

All those details do not realy work in Vics games. Combat on that detail level is not actually simulated. Unless there is a game I am not aware off?

In Shadow Empire, the fact that Tanks "might drive reverse to let enemy molotovs fall short" (or just plain stay out of Improvised Weapon Range) is handeled by the Experience Bonus to combat values.
The general ability of a vehicle to do ambush style attacks, is a combination of Defensive Combat Value and Entrenchment.
Scoutings parties taking cover in buildings? General Terrain Modifiers for ruins.

The scenarios you described are all things that happen during the combat resolution. They are not a thing that will be visible on the strategic level.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 11/29/2021 9:25:47 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 12
RE: I am reading! - 11/30/2021 1:38:25 AM   
Satsuma

Hi Vic !

I just wanted to let you know that I found your game is simply brilliant , although there's room for improvement , but you know it because you are at it .

I'm wargamer since many years, (mostly Pz General , then PzKorps ) , but I was never hooked by operationnal wargame ; I purchased and tried to love HOI , but no joy .

Then ... I discovered Shadow Empire .

Now , game after game , I'm more and more addicted . Well done Vic .

I just wanted to say for the feedback that :

- maybe it would be great to add a kind of "stock exchange" system for the goods , which you could tune by yourself : you could set the economical advisor to automatically sell or buy goods at a certain price and vice versa , as in Victoria game .

Again, ty for this incredible piece of art .

< Message edited by Satsuma -- 11/30/2021 1:39:29 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 13
RE: I am reading! - 11/30/2021 3:21:22 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The scenarios you described are all things that happen during the combat resolution. They are not a thing that will be visible on the strategic level.

Now now
AI infantry unit in Shadow Empire or equivalent game could well get a move on away from player (or other enemy) unit and take refuge in an urban/forest/mountain hex. Any unit on any side could retreat under attack to more favourable terrain, instead just away from the attacker.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> I am reading! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI