Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italian Neutrality

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Italian Neutrality Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italian Neutrality - 6/6/2020 5:45:43 PM   
DoXiTXxX

Score: 0
I have not played many PBEMs so I don't know if this is common but my last 2 Allied opponents moved their entire French fleet and a large part of the Royal Navy with several carriers into the Adriatic Sea in the first few turns of the game, while Italy was still neutral. In one game I left the Italian fleet in the ports, they were quickly destroyed when Italy declared war on the Allies, in the other game I tried to scatter the Italian fleet, but they followed them and the result was very similar. I have been trying to come up with a good counter-move to this, but there seems to be no solution, I guess you could move some German bombers to Italy, but they can only move there after Italy declares war, that is probably too late. It seems like the Axis have their hands tied on this. Historically I don't believe the allies would have done this, their ships would have been very vulnerable there, and the Allies were actually hoping that Italy might remain neutral, especially the French would not have gone along with it since the plan is to basically to sacrifice their ships anyway. One simple solution to this might be to allow the Axis player to declare war instead of the automatic DOW, then he could simply wait until France falls and their ships go away, he might even wait until German bombers arrive to help. A more complicated solution but maybe more historical would be a zone similar to the one set up for the United States that Allied Ships cannot cross or crossing it might cause some kind of diplomatic or military penalties.
Post #: 1
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/6/2020 6:06:38 PM   
Elessar2

As you said, Italy needs to decide on its own when & if they join, not other factors (mainly how far the Germans are into France). I'm not sure how to construct a decision event for that tho, but I'd have to think that it's doable.

(in reply to DoXiTXxX)
Post #: 2
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/6/2020 10:14:01 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Welcome to the party, says the French & British. You gotta build some AA, get some air cover, hide, or ask Chubby Herman for some assistance.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 3
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/6/2020 10:19:02 PM   
pjg100

Buy an Italian maritime bomber in the first turn or two. You might also buy a GE maritime bomber, but there is an opportunity cost to that. Leave your ships in port, with the BBs in the Adriatic ports. Position your fighter so it can cover the ports. When the Brits move in, go after their carriers. You might still lose all your ships, but you can inflict some pain in return.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 4
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/7/2020 7:09:17 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Gotta put some pressure on England. Allied ships cannot be everywhere.

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 5
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/11/2020 2:07:10 PM   
DoXiTXxX

I still think the Axis player should be allowed to declare war with Italy when he chooses, why should be forced into war when all his ships are surrounded by enemy ships? In such a case the allied player should have to declare war if he wants to attack the Italian fleet.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 6
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/11/2020 4:31:40 PM   
amandkm

The challenge here is to try to put yourself into the High Commands' places. Yes, defending the Italian fleet can cost you other opportunities. That sort of thing happened in the war, though. Neither side can be everywhere and do everything, on the one hand, but they also can't dump everything into one line of attack.

If you are the allies and you denude Africa to defend France a bit longer, well that leaves you exposed to Axis moves in that area. Game mechanisms cover some of these items (Like the Japanese in Manchuria) but others simply have game-related consequences (Want to skip the attacking Pearl to focus on SouthEast Asia? Sure, you can, but you're hading the Americans three more BB's and a CA).

(in reply to DoXiTXxX)
Post #: 7
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/16/2020 4:42:49 AM   
DoXiTXxX

Yes of course, I totally agree, but the Axis have very few options in this situation, no German units can move into Italy before the DOW, Allied units can do anything they want while Italy is neutral. The Axis should have the option of declaring war or not, if the Allies want to attack the Italian fleet they always have the option of declaring war on Italy.

< Message edited by DoXiTXxX -- 6/16/2020 4:45:43 AM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 8
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/16/2020 6:03:21 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

What happened historically? Guess I can check the history books.

(in reply to DoXiTXxX)
Post #: 9
RE: Italian Neutrality - 6/20/2020 10:50:51 AM   
DoXiTXxX

I thought the purpose of the game was to take history into our own hands and not necessarily have everything happen historically, In that case why doesn't Germany just declare war on the Soviet Union whether they're ready to attack or not, or Italy declare war on Greece when Germany has no interest in invading Greece, there should not be any automatic DOWs by any player controlled countries, it should be left up to the players to do it when or if they want.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Italian Neutrality Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI